Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kea posted:

As long as they arent made with snip they SHOULD be fine, I have a 200 hour save file thats had various mods in it.

Cool, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I call it: bro, do you even path?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Settlements definitely need a craftable, invisible outside of the workshop, thing like conduits/power lines where you can define paths in and out of your settlements, both for internal settlers and caravans

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I call it: bro, do you even path?

What's that dirt things you've got down next to the pool?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fereydun posted:

shoulda paid closer attention when playing amigo

i would like this mod tyia

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Skandranon posted:

What's that dirt things you've got down next to the pool?

I'm not sure if it's Homemaker or SSEx (I think it's Homemaker though) that has under miscellaneous structures 'farming', which lets you plop down dirt patches for a bunch of fertilizer. They're still pretty janky at this point- my razorgrain tends to hover a few inches above the ground and the settlers never seem to actually work on top of it correctly- but it lets you turn big areas into relatively flat and uncluttered dirt for farming. I threw down a few more after I took that photo. It looks terrible up close, but from that angle it's not too bad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NX Pro Farming lets you put down planters.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 19, 2015

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Kea posted:

There are a ton of mods adding all sorts of little and big things, the top three if you want to make lovely pretty settlements you want to look up Homemaker (havent tried personally), SSex (have tried personally, lots of extra stuff) and OCDecorator (adds static versions of many items that you can place, bottles/food etc)

Best bet really is to have a peek at the fallout 4 nexus just be aware there is a recurring bug with some mods where power armor frames and some other containers (possibly) get randomized.

This bug is only triggered by mods that directly edit world cells. Of which there are still only a tiny minority now that the bug has been discovered and made general knowledge.

Played around with OCDecorator a bit. It's almost there- but doesn't seem to play well with some of the shelving options other mods are bringing in. My general store remains somewhat under-stocked :(

Precise object moving and rotating is the other half to the decorating puzzle.

The Lone Badger posted:

NX Pro Farming lets you put down planters.

Homemaker lets you do this now as well. Then again I remember this one having some other nice stuff (like a composting system) if you're really interested in farming.

Other Settlement mods to check out:

Snap'n Build - Greenhouse
Adds greenhouse walls and roofs that snap together.

Craftable Elevators
Mentioned in the last few pages, but here ya go.

Craftable Ramps and Rails
Haven't tested this yet, but yes please.

Alternate Settlements
Adds custom walls and floors with custom wallpapers and carpets.

Robot Home Defence
Talkie Toaster's mod, adds placeable robot defenders.

Convenient Stores
My mod, personal bias, adds cash register objects as shop alternatives.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Unfortunately any of the mods that change the size of a settlements build area edit cells so we cant have bigger settlements bug free. which is a shame.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Amstrad posted:

Other Settlement mods to check out:
Expanded Settlement Buildings
Adds deleted walls/floors/ceilings to the wood structures, also organizes the walls so it's not one giant list (small, large, angled). It's nice because it has a compatibility patch with Homemaker (and maybe SSEx too, but I don't use it) that'll keep the Homemaker custom walls

Settler Renaming
This one's been suggested before but mainly it's just a convenience thing. Allows you to rename settlers to a series of preset names. I basically just use Standard and Companions in case I accidentally rename Dogmeat to Bartender or something.

Spring Cleaning
Use this one carefully! Has three different versions right now, it's similar to Scrap Scrap and other mods that let you scrap otherwise unscrappable junk. The INI version causes framerate drop due to disabling combined objects EVERYWHERE (I had a 10FPS drop in Goodneighbor and Diamond City), but doesn't reset anything. The cell version is your standard scrapper, meaning it'll randomize power armor and containers. The alpha version doesn't cause framerate drops like the INI and, more importantly, doesn't cause randomized armor/containers like the cell version; however, it does cause sprinting problems (fixable with an ini edit) and it's an alpha so it might break everything (and apparently the alpha 4 version is likely to when it releases).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Amstrad posted:

Craftable Ramps and Rails
Haven't tested this yet, but yes please.

Oh crap- tell me if this is any good.

Also worked a bit more on my Drive-In razorgrain farm. Again, it looks like poo poo up close because all the razorgrain likes to sit about a foot above the dirt and I'm not so bored as to modpos ~60 pieces of wheat quite yet..

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A pic that crossed my facebook feed- hopefully someone with artistic talent mods this in to the game once the F4CK is available:

Apparently a rendering of:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Institute stuff really looks alright, especially compared to what we get vanilla.
My old base, many levels, looks shoddy.

Not far from there, though.

I need to place all this a bit more naturally.

I'm quite serious about stealth housing.

Down the metal passageway, turn right, U turn left, whats this?

Whats the punishment for necrophilia in cyrodiil?

Bowler Hat Crew represent.

I still have to add a bunch of clutter inside and out.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are you sleeping next to a casket?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

That's her husband

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

lol of you don't use console commands to sleep next to your dead, frozen wife/husband.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think my favorite bit of art direction in this game is that, while the rest of the game riffs on 50s sci-fi for obvious reasons, the Institute very specifically riffs off of 70s sci-fi. The aesthetics, the architecture, all of it. It's a surprisingly effective way to bring home the fact that the Institute is much more technologically advanced than anything you see in the game up to that point. Even though most of what they're doing is imperceptible and takes place off screen, when you first relay in and take the elevator down... you just instantly understand that they're on a completely different level technologically.

Then you find out they're all assholes and murder the poo poo out of the place. :colbert:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Does Mod Organizer work with fallout 4 yet?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Dunno, I always use nmm, looking forward to wrye though, a bashed patch will make things a lot more stable.

Gonkish posted:

I think my favorite bit of art direction in this game is that, while the rest of the game riffs on 50s sci-fi for obvious reasons, the Institute very specifically riffs off of 70s sci-fi. The aesthetics, the architecture, all of it. It's a surprisingly effective way to bring home the fact that the Institute is much more technologically advanced than anything you see in the game up to that point. Even though most of what they're doing is imperceptible and takes place off screen, when you first relay in and take the elevator down... you just instantly understand that they're on a completely different level technologically.

Then you find out they're all assholes and murder the poo poo out of the place. :colbert:

This.

Also, the game breaks itself, in my quest to find mah boi, I trundled along to find the railroad, got the info I needed & went to the institute, wandered about a bit there & left to mention to Preston Carthy that I had yet again thwarted a kidnapping, beaten up some greenmens & zombiemens.
Deacon seemed interesting, so I accepted his invite to worm my way into the railroad, however, now all the low budget terminators were bff's with me, I just let Deac shoot them all while I waited for him to catch up with me.

staberind fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 20, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

staberind posted:

Dunno, I always use nmm, looking forward to wrye though, a bashed patch will make things a lot more stable.

After being spoiled rotten by Mod Organizer for Skyrim I can't imagine modding without a perfectly clean mod folder and multiple profiles to switch instantly between...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

khy posted:

https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

khy posted:

After being spoiled rotten by Mod Organizer for Skyrim I can't imagine modding without a perfectly clean mod folder and multiple profiles to switch instantly between...

nmm has profiles now

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Azhais posted:

nmm has profiles now

That's definitely a step in the right direction! Does it keep all the mods in separate folders so that the data folder is always kept entirely clean?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gonkish posted:

The frame rate dropping from 60 to 5 really emphasized the effect

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gonkish posted:

I love how there is no way to interact or connect with your son, maybe change his perspective on things a little, since that murdery part of the plan is pretty senseless anyway. At least the goobers at Big Mtn had the excuse of being brains in vats hopped up on concentrated mentats.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

That's definitely a step in the right direction! Does it keep all the mods in separate folders so that the data folder is always kept entirely clean?

Not that I know of, my data folder is full of esp's & folders from some mods that were installed wrongly, on the other hand, I'm always experimenting around with textures & meshes, so I usually end up with it being cluttered, however, as everything is packed into ba1 & ba2 archives, its relatively easy to flatten data folders and much quicker than redownloading from steam.

Khanstant posted:

I love how there is no way to interact or connect with your son, maybe change his perspective on things a little, since that murdery part of the plan is pretty senseless anyway. At least the goobers at Big Mtn had the excuse of being brains in vats hopped up on concentrated mentats.

I have not done much at the Institute apart from fulfilling a promise to a green fellah, however, what I gathered while doing that was enough to convince me that they are led by autistic psychopaths.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 20, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

staberind posted:

Not that I know of, my data folder is full of esp's & folders from some mods that were installed wrongly, on the other hand, I'm always experimenting around with textures & meshes, so I usually end up with it being cluttered, however, as everything is packed into ba1 & ba2 archives, its relatively easy to flatten data folders and much quicker than redownloading from steam.

Nuts, that's pretty much the best feature of the program. Ah well, I'll just wait for MO to get an official release. Thanks though!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The frame rate dropping from 60 to 5 really emphasized the effect

lmao

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

khy posted:

Nuts, that's pretty much the best feature of the program. Ah well, I'll just wait for MO to get an official release. Thanks though!

Mod organizer is doing it's virtual data folder properly. I waited till MO had a working build to try modding at all and my Data folder is fresh as a new install. Skimming through MO's development threads at STEP does make it sound like some technical features in how it handles data files and other things that I don't understand anyways aren't all there yet but with the pretty small amount of mods you could be running by this point anyways it doesn't seem to matter and seems to work just fine.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I just updated Robot Home Defence to let you recruit the robots as followers. Er. It's sort of accidentally become RobCo Certified. I might end up making a bunch of robot upgrades and continue the transition.

Also I made a mod that gives your companions infinite ammo with most weapons, Companion Infinite Ammo.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I wish equipped items on companions wouldn't be taken when you choose to take all. Removing junk from their inventories one at a time otherwise is a pain in the rear end. Modifying menu interactions sounds like something that would need a geck though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

When I equip a weapon while I'm already in 3rd person the weapon is always held up in full aiming stance. The PC never lowers the weapon.

When I equip a weapon in 1st person then go to 3rd person the weapon is lowered. But once I aim with it the PC holds it in a full aiming stance from that point on.

Is there a mod which does not alter 1st person whatsoever, but in 3rd person makes it so the weapon is ALWAYS lowered unless I'm firing or aiming?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hmmm, i want a modded cryolator that shoots either frozen husbands or shauns. or both, actually, both.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Went to install that robot mod, and NMM gave me this: "The old fallout 4 ini edits are deprecated(the long string in the fallout4.ini caused long loading times) please remove the old edits. How do I fix this?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

HogX posted:

Went to install that robot mod, and NMM gave me this: "The old fallout 4 ini edits are deprecated(the long string in the fallout4.ini caused long loading times) please remove the old edits. How do I fix this?

Make sure there are no directories listed here:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

And add this just below [Archive] instead:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Make sure there are no directories listed here:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

And add this just below [Archive] instead:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Do I do that in prefs? or a different ini?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

HogX posted:

Do I do that in prefs? or a different ini?

Fallout4.ini

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

staberind posted:

Hmmm, i want a modded cryolator that shoots either frozen husbands or shauns. or both, actually, both.

Sounds more like a junk jet mod

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I can't wait for the GECK to come out and the ultra-nerds to completely overhaul all the stats and add the classic skills system again. The new perk system is kinda fun but from what I can tell there's no reason to ever roll anything but 6-2-4-6-6-2-2 (You're Special point into Perception) unless you want some very specialized builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adding the old skill numbers back would probably be really hard to do over the existing system. Almost everything about the perks would have to be changed.

What bothers me more than the current system (which works fine gameplay-wise) is the fact that there are no checks for anything except charisma (with the one exception of the USS constitution I've found) but I don't know how you could really fix that problem with a mod. The skill checks were usually used to give you alternate ways to do quests, except there's almost always only one way to finish quests now, so even if you tried to manually put in a bunch of skill checks all over the game, there's not a lot of places you could use them. You could add new perks or rebalance them or whatever, but I don't see a way for mods to make your SPECIAL be a roleplaying decision like it used to be instead of just a gameplay decision. Who knows though, the lengths people have gone to mod this game without even having the GECK are already impressive.

• Locked thread