Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

slidebite posted:

Yeah, seems to work now thanks. I got out of Steam and reloaded it.

So it didn't give me an option of 32/64 bit. Does that mean I'm 64 automatically?

Running a 6700K on 8.1 x64.

Horizons is only available in 64-bit, so you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if customer service can transfer your credits and ships from the Xbone to pc? I built a pc and want to get all shooty fun times but I really don't want to start over.

Parasox
Sep 7, 2011
So I've been out of the game for a while - since well before Horizons. Right before I quit I picked up a T9 and just couldn't get into it. Is trading really worth pursuing in Horizons or should I sell it and go back to combat?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Romes128 posted:

Does anyone know if customer service can transfer your credits and ships from the Xbone to pc? I built a pc and want to get all shooty fun times but I really don't want to start over.

How much did you have on xbox? You can get rich pretty quick with help.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Romes128 posted:

Who knows, FDev customer support is surprisingly cool and have been known to do things for people who are clever/witty.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Rare runs in the lightest Anaconda you can muster: you ain't doing it right unless you scrape half the paint off on the way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VwDwvlSJRk

BogDew fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 20, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
This game is a real bummer when missions bug out but it's really awesome when you're dogfighting in a dark astroid field

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Decided to fit a Keelback and run out to grab some pretty pictures for shits and giggles.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I was in a wing of 4 in a private group and it was fine most of the way but randomly, I could no longer see my wingmates in supercruise. Instead they just appeared as wake signals which would move around when jumping in and out of real space. Reforming the wing failed , so did trying to jump into said wing signals. Is there any real fix or workaround for this?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Hi folks, I've got about 50 bucks in my wallet and I need a real answer. is this game as 'empty' and 'lifeless' as all my Star Cult buttbuddies tell me it is?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is it a viable way to make money loving around with the SRVs? Or is it still go to RES kill everything?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

Hi folks, I've got about 50 bucks in my wallet and I need a real answer. is this game as 'empty' and 'lifeless' as all my Star Cult buttbuddies tell me it is?

There is a lot to do as long as you are sure you actually want to play a spaceperson sim game. The game doesn't lead you around showing you what there is to do and you are expected to do things like explore on your own to find interesting areas or decide what kind of missions you want to do based on location/type/faction, follow random signals in space to see whats there, read the in-universe news to see what events are going on and where so you can go participate, or hookup with a player org and make some goals to push for together.

The game will not lead you around combat to combat or event to event, there is no larger storyline for your character though the actions of everyone steers the game story a bit (a key NPC and leader of one of the largest groups exists only because Goons did a thing one time for example).

A good way of putting it might be "Stuff doesn't happen to you. You happen to the stuff." and many people do not enjoy that in a game which is fair enough. So if the idea of being a spaceperson cruising around having spacetimes is not on its own enough for you then I wouldn't suggest it.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

HapiMerchant posted:

I've found plenty to entertain me, but it's really as fun or as boring as you make it - there's no story beyond the background lore (they have novels, never read one), you can't really have a tangible effect on the game world (though the Diamond Frogs are doing our best to Make Things Happen). If you like the idea of being a spaceperson flying a spaceship wherever the gently caress you want, shooting spacemans, smuggling illicit goods, landing on planets and tooling around too fast in your SRV, without having any clearly defined goals, then it will be a good game for you, IMO.

It's often compared somewhat to Euro Truck Simulator (which I enjoy) but iI think it's definitely deeper than that, in that you can do more than just ferry goods to planets and stations - you can go mine in an asteroid belt, you can take missions to murder local celebrities, civilians, pirates, or spacecops, or you can go spacemad and explore the furthest reaches of space, finding nebulae and black holes, getting to put your name on things you discover before anyone else.

You have the advantage of being able to play with goons, too, if that's your bag - the aforementioned (MGSV-inspired) Diamond Frogs have a strong presence in the game, with I believe around 200 active members (and more like double that including the more casual players, iirc), where we have been neatly organized into flights/wings, with Mumble and IRC support so far, as well as organization via Trello and Inara (spacefacebook). We're mercenaries who offer our services to the highest bidder, and as well as this there are missions for the various wings to undertake as we probe the black box of the game's system of Major and Minor factions (all NPC for now, though we had Frontier add the Diamond Frogs minor faction into the game, and work to help them expand their influence and space-holdings). That really adds a lot more value to the game, from my perspective - plus goons are always, always generous and helpful when it comes to helping newbies (or tadpoles, in this case) get spacerich and competent.

You can also take part in frequent community goals (which are things like "bring as much of this commodity/exploration data/whatever to this station/system"), which do have an effect on the game world as they can improve the resources available at particular stations, or provide discounts/requirement waivers on purchasing certain ships, and there's also the weekly tasks you can do for the major powers in the game, though these can be more than a little grindy.

It's definitely not unfair to say the game is "a mile wide, and an inch deep," though with the addition of Horizons it's more like "two miles wide, and an inch and a half deep." If you want to fly spaceships and look at pretty things in space, it's a good game - the flight model is excellent, with ships not only varying in size and function but also in how they handle, and you can tweak this further with the different modules you can install in your ships - a single ship could function well as a fighter, or as an explorer, for example, depending on how you set it up (though of course some ships are much better suited to one or two particular roles).

Check out the PGS thread to see what the DF are up to, have a look at some videos online, and if it still looks neat given the caveats here (most importantly the one about needing to make your own fun) then I think you'll have a good time - if you're still wavering, then give it a miss and check back in every now and then to see if they've added the features you might feel are missing at this time.

Totally biased, I love it - it's pretty much all I wanted and more from a spacegame. It has flaws, but they don't detract from the good spacetimes I've been having.

And that's my 1 effortpost for this year.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

HapiMerchant posted:

Yes. It's a game for that special kind of person who wants to play Euro Truck Simulator but finds moving scenery to be too much simulation.

I bought it during the sale and I feel like I've gotten my $15 worth of haphazardly balanced first-person 3d spaceship pew pew, but it's a shell of a game at the moment. It's missing a vast amount of quality of life features, many of which it will likely never see due to an incredibly groggy fanbase who want it to literally be 1984 Elite. Almost all of its simulation aspect lies in background details for procedural planet and star system generation that you're not likely to even be aware of ingame- don't come in hoping for verisimilitude in NPC traffic like you'd see in Independence War 2 or even Freelancer. Travel is extremely tedious and poorly designed on a basic level, and there is no autopilot. There are few mission-based activities to do, and they're incredibly samey, low-effort stuff, not even as well-developed as Freelancer's repetitive "go here, kill x" missions. The primary form of combat content consists of going to certain marked locations and shooting random bounties, like Arena Commander accessed through an open-world backdrop.

Reeks of wasted potential.

The game honestly feels like a relatively polished early access beta more than anything. Depending on how optimistic you are about the devs, it may turn into a real game in another couple of years, but it's very shoddy right now. Manage your expectations accordingly.

PS: This is being written by someone who does not own and has little faith in Star Citizen. I referenced Arena Commander but I only know about it through watching Scott Manley play it. :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

HapiMerchant posted:

Like was said, you have to find your own fun and Elite, while flawed and kooky as all heck it is rad as gently caress.

Get up close and personal with literal billions of airless planets!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhebvZytQuM

Get up close and personal with literal giant capital ships!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Id-nlHjvZI

Be your own Tony Hawk thousands of lightyears from the nearest human!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZwJBHyFi0g

Fight with othergoons to slap variations of 'Frog' all over the galaxy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jILVwBJ5Y

You might like it. vOv

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

KakerMix posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

KakerMix posted:

gently caress yeah, the Lugh war was the best.

e: to the guy asking about the game, people have lot's of different things to say about the gameplay of E:D, up or down, but it has probably the best sound design/team I've ever heard in a game.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 20, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cathair posted:

It's missing a vast amount of quality of life features, many of which it will likely never see

That's kind of unfair considering how far the game has come, and considering what's planned and how much money frontier is making. They just released an expansion that lets you land on planets and explore....they're clearly working hard to add more content. It would have been nice to get everything all at once, but being the small studio they are, they need extra time.

The game definitely has problems (some which can get pretty annoying), but it's a work in progress and a lot of people like it regardless. The flight model and combat are impressive, the graphics are good, the sound design is great, and the feeling of "gently caress yeah I'm flying around the milky way in a cool spaceship" is pretty strong, if you care about that. The plans for crews, planets with life, the FPS expansion, etc, are pretty exciting too. Personally, I'd say it's worth 50 bucks (poo poo, I've paid $100 so far). Obviously for a lot of people it's not their thing though.

Natsuumi posted:

gently caress yeah, the Lugh war was the best.

gently caress yeah good memories. I graduated from a cobra to a python, thanks to the Lugh war.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 20, 2015

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Rah! posted:

That's kind of unfair considering how far the game has come, and considering what's planned and how much money frontier is making. They just released an expansion that lets you land on planets and explore....they're clearly working hard to add more content. It would have been nice to get everything all at once, but being the small studio they are, they need extra time.

The game definitely has problems (some which can get pretty annoying), but it's a work in progress and a lot of people like it regardless. The flight model and combat are impressive, the graphics are good, the sound design is great, and the feeling of "gently caress yeah I'm flying around the milky way in a cool spaceship" is pretty strong, if you care about that. The plans for crews, planets with life, the FPS expansion, etc, are pretty exciting too. Personally, I'd say it's worth 50 bucks (poo poo, I've paid $100 so far). Obviously for a lot of people it's not their thing though.

gently caress yeah good memories. I graduated from a cobra to a python, thanks to the Lugh war.

Can you get out of your ship's seat and walk around? it's like, the one thing Star Cult offers i'm interested in. It adds a large degree of comfy.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

Can you get out of your ship's seat and walk around? it's like, the one thing Star Cult offers i'm interested in. It adds a large degree of comfy.

This year's expansion is get out and drive around with prolly 4-5 major updates throughout the year to expand on it.

Next year's expansion is probably get out and walk around, starting simple at first then 4-5 major updates throughout the year to expand on it.

If walking around is a make or break feature then wait til next December then check back.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Space Skeleton posted:

This year's expansion is get out and drive around with prolly 4-5 major updates throughout the year to expand on it.

Next year's expansion is probably get out and walk around, starting simple at first then 4-5 major updates throughout the year to expand on it.

If walking around is a make or break feature then wait til next December then check back.

i meant just walking around your ship. i dont need to walk around outside it. just get up and like, space nap during a long space drive to the space store

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dongattack posted:

Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

First try and figure out which face is the one rotating, like the 'base' of the station. If you can see that, just spinning around like a record, you know the slot is on the opposite end.

If you can't see the 'base' of the station, just remember that the mail slot side always spins counterclockwise, so figure out which direction the station is rotating, and head toward the end that is rotating counterclockwise.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

HapiMerchant posted:

i meant just walking around your ship. i dont need to walk around outside it. just get up and like, space nap during a long space drive to the space store

Doubt it is happening this year, probably coming next expansion. Though this year we get a character customizer.

As seen in this (old) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMma36ot-cw

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

KakerMix posted:

Back in 1.4 when we had a confirmed capital sighting fighting the Diamond Frogs, I decided I was going to make a run at it in an Imp Eagle and see how far I got.

It was really cool for the minute or so I flew around before panic jumping into another system to avoid dying.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
While we're on capital talk, where can I find one right now to show my mate who's just started playing?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Winging up and clowning capital ships was the best part of being at war, and now I wish we were at war again. Somebody twist the BGS until war were declared, please.

In the meantime, a FAS with frag cannons is my new favorite RES stomper.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Insert name here posted:

Back in 1.4 when we had a confirmed capital sighting fighting the Diamond Frogs, I decided I was going to make a run at it in an Imp Eagle and see how far I got.

It was really cool for the minute or so I flew around before panic jumping into another system to avoid dying.

Get on the inside hangar and lurk until the bad ships chasing you go away. Then play whack a mole with whatever turret/heat sinks are nearby.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I put a large beam + large frag cannon on my Vulture and I am very happy.

90 ammo is still a bit on the low side seen the rof on that thing, but it crushes hull and it's a perfect fit for the vulture agility, just stay glued to the enemy and unload a 3-shot burst anytime you can.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pilchenstein posted:

While we're on capital talk, where can I find one right now to show my mate who's just started playing?

The capital ships are lore based permanent persistent things, so if you just want to see one, get a Sol permit and head out there, there is always one defending Sol, unless it is sent out to get its rear end kicked by Diamond Frogs.

You can see the Imperial equivalents at Achenar I think? And wherever Torval calls home, iirc.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel kinda conflicted. Trading is easy money I'm making about 300k per 7-8 minute loop but it's also kinda boring. I feel like if I go after combat it might be more fun but no where near as profitable. Can I make good money doing combat type stuff?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Paramemetic posted:

The capital ships are lore based permanent persistent things, so if you just want to see one, get a Sol permit and head out there, there is always one defending Sol, unless it is sent out to get its rear end kicked by Diamond Frogs.

You can see the Imperial equivalents at Achenar I think? And wherever Torval calls home, iirc.
Yeah but don't you only get to see them warping in during a conflict zone?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel kinda conflicted. Trading is easy money I'm making about 300k per 7-8 minute loop but it's also kinda boring. I feel like if I go after combat it might be more fun but no where near as profitable. Can I make good money doing combat type stuff?
Probably not as profitable as the loops you are doing now, but combat is a very viable way of making money especially if you luck into an instance with wanted Pythons and Anacondas.
You can also do this in a multirole ship, switching out the internals for combat and trading or have a dedicated trader and a combat ship to switch between depending on what you feel like doing at the time.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 20, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but don't you only get to see them warping in during a conflict zone?

No. I almost rammed one of the Federation's battlecruisers because the fucker was hanging out close to the station where some CG for repairs or something was running. But I'm planning on making a tour of the systems I got permits for (including Sol), so I can see some more capitals for myself! (Sol has battlecruisers on station too, I think.)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Definitely. In a heavily armed ship that can quickly pop FdL's/Pythons/etc., you can easily make several million per hour. Even below that, you can make decent cash from killing Cobras and such.

A Vulture only costs about 5.5M to purchase and serviceably outfit in Li space. Basically just D-class everything, get warrant scanner, and get either twin C3 G/Pulses or a laser and frag (or cannon) and go to town. Incrementally upgrade the usual components as you get paid (power distributor, shields, power plant, etc.).

In a RES, your highest priority targets are FdL's, which pay bounties comparable to Anacondas (250K for a good one) but are much easier to kill. KWS scan and kill little stuff too; a Viper that melts in seconds could be worth an effortless 50K. You can take on Anacondas in a starter Vulture if you are on the ball with chaff and don't venture in front of the C4 gun on its nose, but if you're not confident then just ignore them and fry everything else.

Xihe is a great place for bounty hunting. Zhen Dock has a good outfitting selection for small and medium ships, and it's only a few seconds away from several types of RES. High intensity RES have cops who you can mooch off to get easy kills; consider that route if you're in a Viper or similar small ship. Otherwise, do a HazRES to ensure cops can't kill things before you're able to get to them.

Make sure you don't shoot a ship until you target them and see a red WANTED in its description. If you fire before that pops up, then it's considered assault, even if it turns out they had a bounty.

If you feel a bit in over your head or just want some help, then hop into IRC and ask if anybody will bounty hunt with you. I'm always down when I'm around.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Shine posted:

You can take on Anacondas in a starter Vulture if you are on the ball with chaff and don't venture in front of the C4 gun on its nose, but if you're not confident then just ignore them and fry everything else.
I haven't gone to a RES in a while; did they ever fix the weird AI quirk where the AI won't toggle their turrets on until you get in front of them at least once? Because I got a ton of really easy kills that way: get behind the target in my Vulture and start shooting, and as long as I don't wonder in front of them their turrets wouldn't shoot even if they were pointing at me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

I haven't gone to a RES in a while; did they ever fix the weird AI quirk where the AI won't toggle their turrets on until you get in front of them at least once? Because I got a ton of really easy kills that way: get behind the target in my Vulture and start shooting, and as long as I don't wonder in front of them their turrets wouldn't shoot even if they were pointing at me.

They seem to shoot at my face a lot.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Steam seems to auto-download the 32 bit version? When I press the 64-bit version the game never starts, and Horizons only work in 64 bit :negative:

e: Not released on Steam yet it seems, you have to open the launcher manually in the steam game folder

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

Steam seems to auto-download the 32 bit version? When I press the 64-bit version the game never starts, and Horizons only work in 64 bit :negative:

If you're playing from the Elite Dangerous install on Steam you need to go into the install folder and run the 64bit launcher that way.

If you want to launch it through steam you need to get your Horizons key from Frontier and put that into Steam. You should be able to rename the "Elite Dangerous" folder to "Elite Dangerous Horizons" (or make a copy and name it that) and then Steam will verify it when you try to install Horizons and you're good to go from there.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
What a nice scene to wake up to.

Edit: I made a space panorama

TomR fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm going to be playing CQC today for a few hours around 2PM EST (7PM GMT) and every time I get killed I'm donating a dollar to SETI. Come kill me if you can.

reddit link

• Locked thread