Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I have Fire in the Lake or I'd be with you. I also have Washington's War and I don't know if I'm grog enough yet to have two games covering the American Revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Liberty or Death just doesn't appeal to me that much and I'm not totally on board regarding how well a 4P COIN actually models the american revolution.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm concerned that LoD seems to be cramming a lot of extra crap into the COIN system and ruining the elegance of it. Fire in the Lake was complex, but a lot of that was because of the options and size of the board and war arrayed in front of you, but everything was pretty much containing on the cards and the foldouts. From the rulebook LoD seems to have 5 different units and pieces for each faction, each with their own fiddly rules. I dunno, i'm not interested in the period so maybe if I was I would be stoked but :shrug:

Also i'm willing to bet that it takes even longer than FitL, which is already too long for me to reliably get to the table. Can't wait for Falling Sky and Cuba Libre 2e to fill that small COIN gap.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm not really all that interested in the setting of Falling Sky but I really need to have something that people will play with me regularly apart from Cuba Libre.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've been following a playthrough in BGG and I'm actually worried it's more simple than other games in the series. The only really new mechanic besides the naval blockades the french can do is the Brilliant Strokes system, which is just ways to cancel upcoming event cards and replace them with beneficial cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And that's just a copy of the pivotal event system from FitL.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Impermanent posted:

I've been following a playthrough in BGG and I'm actually worried it's more simple than other games in the series. The only really new mechanic besides the naval blockades the french can do is the Brilliant Strokes system, which is just ways to cancel upcoming event cards and replace them with beneficial cards.

When you say simple, is that in terms of strategy and tactics? Like there aren't many interesting decisions to make? Or just in terms of ease of play?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'm not nearly enough of a wargamer to comment on strategy and tactics. I'm just discussing ease of play. There are a couple of things about the game that make it seem like one of the simpler ways to get into COIN.

One is the victory system. Each side of the conflict has a shared objective. The British and Indians want high levels of Support, and the Patriots and French want high levels of Opposition. However, the Patriots and French have different sub-objectives. The Patriots want to keep their forts, whereas the French just want to maximize British casualties. This is mirrored on the British side. The British want to keep casualties down, whereas the Indians care mostly about keeping their villages populated and destroying Patriot Forts.

This is important because it pretty much prevents any sort of dynamic political play between the sides. It is extremely unlikely that the patriots and the british or the Indians will be able to make any sort of long-term or short-term truce. The only real diplomatic dynamic comes from keeping up the goodwill of your partner in the game. This is actually a good thing from my perspective - I love political maneuvering, but many of my friends have not yet grown accustomed to that particular taste. This version of the COIN system would likely be easier to introduce them to because they won't feel like they are being forced to play a political game to interact with the mechanics.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Fifth Turn 3 card plays

Current hand:

At this point, I play Attack on the Panama Canal. While I don't think the effect will do much, as Allied Reinforcements are already delayed due to War in Europe, he could play his own War in Europe card, and I'd really like to draw a good Event Offensive to move on New Guinea. I draw into East Force, which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. With this, I hope to invade New Guinea at Lea, and then send an Army overland to Port Moresby. With any luck, this will make it much more difficult for allied offensives in the area.

The Allies then pass.

Sixth Turn 3 card plays

I'd like to bring more units down from Japan before I start, but I don't have the time, so I play East Force with South Seas HQ to begin the assault. Using the East Force bonus, I activate 6AD to take Gili Gili, then move it there and attack Port Moresby to pin the ground units. I bring CV Shokaku down from Tokyo, and it attacks Lae together with CV Junyo and 31st Army. CV Akagi comes down from Tokyo to pin Aus Air in Hollandia. BB Yamato attacks Espiritu Santo to pin most of the Allied Navy, and BB Nagato attacks Funafuti to pin CV Enterprise. I was hoping that with most of the air naval units unable to respond, I would be able to get the Amphibious Assault through.

Unfortunately, I have again miscalculated. The Allies make their intel roll and react with CV Lexington and 5AF LRB to the battle at Lae, making 26 attack to my 22. He also moves CV Enterprise out of the battle hex to prevent it from being damaged, and brings down 7AF LRB to have enough attack to reduce BB Nagato. While I'm able to reduce Aus Air and reduce BB Miss in Espiritu Santo without taking damage, the BB Nagato does get reduced. In addition, the Allies roll a crit at the battle in Lae and eliminate CV Shokaku. While I am able to reduce both CV Lexington and 5AF, he still has 17 attack to my 8, and my Amphibious Assault is turned back. For PBM, the Allies move 7AF LRB back to Wake, 5AF LRB to Port Moresby, and both carriers to Espiritu Santo. I move 5AD back to Rabaul, BB Nagato to Guadalcanal, and everything else to Truk.

Looking back, I should have had BB Nagato and CV Akagi join the attack at Lae. Even if he had rolled the same, the additional attack would have gotten the Amphibious Assault through. While I was also worried about the 10 attack from Aus Air, I forgot that it's a Commonwealth unit, and so couldn't have been activated at the same time as the US Carriers, as they were too far from ANZAC HQ. I could have been less ambitious, and focused on the northern New Guinea bases. I think I've finally learned the lesson of double-checking my math before hand, at least.

The Allies play Operation Watchtower as an EC with C Pac HQ. He activates 5AF to move to Hollandia and attack Vogelkop. 5AF in Port Moresby and BB Miss, CA Northampton, CV Enterprise, and CV Lexington are activated to attack Guadalcanal. 7AF LRB is also activated in Wake, not moving. I curse myself for having used the Weather card earlier. Nothing happens to 3SN Brigade in Vogelkop and he only scores 20 hits against Guadalcanal, reducing CA Aoba and 26AF. I then reduce CA Northampton. For PBM, he simply moves his naval units back to Espirito Santo, leaving everything else where it is.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I'm up for starting another Play by Email game, in anyone is looking to learn how to play or simply wants to see how thoroughly they can thrash me.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm up for starting another Play by Email game, in anyone is looking to learn how to play or simply wants to see how thoroughly they can thrash me.

I'd like to get in on a PBEM, but I've never done a PBEM, with Vassal or otherwise. Pretty sure I could lose handily at anything, though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If Finster Dexter doesn't follow through, I'll be glad to join. I really want to learn how to play.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 18, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

quote != edit

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd like to get in on a PBEM, but I've never done a PBEM, with Vassal or otherwise. Pretty sure I could lose handily at anything, though.

It's pretty simple. VASSAL lets you create logs. So you get a log from your opponent, watch it, start a new one, perform anything that needs to be done, and then send the new log back to your opponent. Send me a PM with your email and we can get set up.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Taran_Wanderer posted:

It's pretty simple. VASSAL lets you create logs. So you get a log from your opponent, watch it, start a new one, perform anything that needs to be done, and then send the new log back to your opponent. Send me a PM with your email and we can get set up.

Why don't you pull in Oldstench. I'm a little gunshy as I don't own the game (yet) and don't know the rules, etc.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Why don't you pull in Oldstench. I'm a little gunshy as I don't own the game (yet) and don't know the rules, etc.

I don't either. You've totally go dibs.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Oldstench posted:

I don't either. You've totally go dibs.

OKAY FINE (lol)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

OKAY FINE (lol)

But please post the logs or something so I can follow along.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Oldstench posted:

But please post the logs or something so I can follow along.

I can do that, assuming it's okay with Finster.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got some ASL stuff in the mail, including ASL Journal #2. I'm so hyped for Kakazu Ridge... I knew I should've got SASL rules. That or I'll try to play both sides like I usually do.

And speaking of cool ASL stuff, does anyone know a website that has scenario printouts? I don't want to ruin my journal/magazines to get the scenarios :ohdear:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I think that's why you get two copies of magazines everything - a player's copy and a copy to taunt people.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Maybe just scan them in then print them off?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

Maybe just scan them in then print them off?

I'm thinking I might do that, but I want to keep them in colour. That and cardstock. Maybe I'll just go to a staples or something...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played 5 turns of the U.S civil war and it was really enjoyable. The initiative system is weird but kind of works and the game works well as a map exercise. The fix general schedule is weird (McDowell won 1st Bull Run in our game and still got demoted!). Overall though the combat system is good and provides a few surprising twists. I recommend it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Played 5 turns of the U.S civil war and it was really enjoyable. The initiative system is weird but kind of works and the game works well as a map exercise. The fix general schedule is weird (McDowell won 1st Bull Run in our game and still got demoted!). Overall though the combat system is good and provides a few surprising twists. I recommend it!

Nice! I'm probably getting it for Christmas so that's great news.

Also my parents might get me The Greatest Day: Sword Juno and Gold which will make me :stare:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
what's field of fire like?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Banana Man posted:

what's field of fire like?

You know that scene in Indiana Jones when they open the Ark of the Covenant?

That's basically what you just did.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

COOL CORN posted:

You know that scene in Indiana Jones when they open the Ark of the Covenant?

That's basically what you just did.

Oh god.

In other news I figured out how to fire in aslsk and it feels good. Getting used to wargames rules is weird.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Asl is a special kind of weird, even within Wargames rules. But... In my opinion, once you digest it all, nothing comes close to it on a squad level.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

Asl is a special kind of weird, even within Wargames rules. But... In my opinion, once you digest it all, nothing comes close to it on a squad level.

I found a copy of one of the (new?) starter kits in a games shop in Glasgow, my girlfriend literally had to talk me down from buying it. Something along the lines of "You already have enough obscure grognard games that no-one wants to play with you, you don't need another one for £60 and you already have enough games you play by yourself."

She did buy me Airborne Alert for Christmas though so :kimchi:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

I found a copy of one of the (new?) starter kits in a games shop in Glasgow, my girlfriend literally had to talk me down from buying it. Something along the lines of "You already have enough obscure grognard games that no-one wants to play with you, you don't need another one for £60 and you already have enough games you play by yourself."

She did buy me Airborne Alert for Christmas though so :kimchi:

If you're really interested in ASL, see if there are any groups that play in your area. I already had several starter kits by the time I played my first game against another human, but they were very welcoming and had all the necessary pieces for several games in a day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Marco just put out a review of The US Civil War where he called it an "instant classic". Pretty impressive! As if I couldn't be any more excited.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I was recently in North Caroline, and I would only apply "instant classic" to the meal I had at the island grill. http://igrestaurant.net/

... I suppose this seems like a non-sequitur, but we visited the fort at the east end of the island that day, so I guess I'm in that mode.

You have a nice state, corn.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thank you, friend. Our beaches are great :)

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I've thoroughly enjoyed a number of the COIN series, Twilight Struggle, and Labyrinth. Where should I go next, Wargames thread?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Caedar posted:

I've thoroughly enjoyed a number of the COIN series, Twilight Struggle, and Labyrinth. Where should I go next, Wargames thread?

Friedrich or Maria if you want more abstract, multiplayer wargame that are elegant as opposed to crammed with in depth detail.

From Twilight Struggle you can go to the other card driven games, but these tend to be a pretty big jump in detail. Pursuit of Glory is a good intermediate step (WWI Middle East), if you want to go whole hog Paths of Glory (WWI) and Empire of the Sun (WWII Pacific) are both acclaimed. There are a lot of turds in this category though, not all CDGs are born equally.

You might like the Commands and Colors series if you want some lighter 2 player tactical games. The best in the series are Napoleonics and Ancients but you can also get American Civil War and WWII albeit with less historical accuracy.

Beyond that, a lot of wargaming is really about what period you want to get into in detail. Anything in particular you are interested in?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Of Games MikeCrotch listed, I'd like to point out Maria especially. It's both very good and has that machiavellian dynamics of COIN.

If you're feeling adventurous, grab Red Winter or Fading Glory to check out the "classic" hex and counter genre in a slick, smooth package. Or alternatively No Retreat! The Russian Front, which is like halfway between a CDG and a classic counter pusher, but bear it mind it has a lot of flavour-based little rules and exceptions on top of the relatively simple system.

Hannibal and Washington's War are cool simple classic CDGs.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

MikeCrotch posted:

Friedrich or Maria if you want more abstract, multiplayer wargame that are elegant as opposed to crammed with in depth detail.

From Twilight Struggle you can go to the other card driven games, but these tend to be a pretty big jump in detail. Pursuit of Glory is a good intermediate step (WWI Middle East), if you want to go whole hog Paths of Glory (WWI) and Empire of the Sun (WWII Pacific) are both acclaimed. There are a lot of turds in this category though, not all CDGs are born equally.

You might like the Commands and Colors series if you want some lighter 2 player tactical games. The best in the series are Napoleonics and Ancients but you can also get American Civil War and WWII albeit with less historical accuracy.

Beyond that, a lot of wargaming is really about what period you want to get into in detail. Anything in particular you are interested in?

I think I'm attracted to the COIN stuff and Twilight Struggle because they avoid the bolt-counting that looks prevalent in games like Pursuit of Glory etc. While the interactions between factions in a COIN game are quite complicated and take many plays to understand to any level of competency, the core mechanics and the information that you're working with is pretty simple (you have two, maybe three, types of pieces that don't really have "stats" but different capabilities). Seeing a counter with "XXX [symbol] 8-12 1 Ind o" immediately turns me off—which might be prejudiced, but that's just my gut reaction. Then add the idea that there might be different counters with that much info stacked on each other, and I begin to blanch. I'd love to be sold on the idea that it isn't as nit-picky and overly details-oriented as it seems, though. (Oddly enough, I'm fine with games like Eclipse where that info is expanded onto a full sheet in front of me.)

The level of abstraction in COIN, Twilight, etc. speaks to me, so Friedrich and Maria definitely sound good to me. Hannibal and Washington's War have also been on my list. I'm just worried that, beyond these games and the couple COIN games I haven't played yet, there isn't a lot of breadth in this niche (abstract yet deep CDG/card-based war games).

I'm honestly not that invested in particular periods. If anything, probably anything post-World War II.

Caedar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 23, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Definitely go with maria then.

And when you'll get bored of the games you've listed you'll ascend to the higher plane of existence and buy Virgin Queen.

PS. Check out Manoeuvre too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Definitely go with maria then.

And when you'll get bored of the games you've listed you'll ascend to the higher plane of existence and buy Virgin Queen.

PS. Check out Manoeuvre too.

Manoeuvre owns.