Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

You don't just sit down, list out all the nouns in the book and then map them onto their cultural connotations, everything is always interacting, if the power of nature is in some way important to the story, and by extension the characters in the story, then of course the sea represents that.

You've clearly never been to an American high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

Instead, I'll say that I've gotten deeper into The Dictionary of the Khazars and it's starting to make sense, the story of Dr. Suk is what really started things tying together.
I feel like a fail reader because I enjoyed Khazars but it never ended up making any sense to me except that I think it's about eggs

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like a fail reader because I enjoyed Khazars but it never ended up making any sense to me except that I think it's about eggs

Same and it's definitely about eggs

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Troll theory: most of Shakespeare's plays were cooperatively written by his whole acting troupe, he was just lead writer, like John Stewart gets credit for the daily show.

Evidence: his vocabulary is too large for one person and his knowledge too broad and too detailed

this is like the post in some other thread here where someone said that thomas pynchon was multiple people because no one man could have such a grasp of references

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I mean, it isn't wholly coming together cosmically or anything, but things mentioned in one place are popping up again, and not just character names. I still have no idea what it's about.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I really like the idea that junk literature should be taught to high school students so they can appreciate better stuff when they're older but I think having the right teacher makes a large difference.

In my IB English class, some of the books we read were The Bell Jar, The Underground Man, Madame Bovary and Native Son and I think that I have a deeper appreciation of these works because they were well taught - The Underground Man might have been the only one I would've picked up independently. I can easily see them being taught poorly though, I had a miserable teacher for my second year of IB English and I completely bounced off of the Shakespeare we read (Hamlet, Othello) and the Cisneros books as well.

I'm almost finished with Purity and unless it dramatically changes in the last fifty pages (which I don't think it will) it's a really mediocre book. The characters are boring and Franzen seems to be stuck on the anti-internet diatribe that I've seen in a few other boring books like Dave Egger's The Circle. There are also parts where he uses clumsy language to express how characters have trouble thinking as adults in certain areas and it just comes off incredibly stilted to read a fifty year old man think about his "stiffy". If there's one thing I know male writers can do well, it's artfully describe tumescence. The worst part of the book is that it's not bad enough to be entirely not worth reading if you like Franzen - the way that he brings the characters together is interesting and he does make sure that some of them have opposing viewpoints that he almost wants to treat seriously. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing else to read.

I picked up City on Fire so I'll have thoughts on that in a few weeks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

I mean, it isn't wholly coming together cosmically or anything, but things mentioned in one place are popping up again, and not just character names. I still have no idea what it's about.

it's about an impossible dream called Yugoslavia

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cloks posted:

The characters are boring and Franzen seems to be stuck on the anti-internet diatribe that I've seen in a few other boring books like Dave Egger's The Circle.
Not sure about Franzen but your mistake there was ever reading something by Dave Eggers.

eggs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tree Goat posted:

catcher in the rye
look homeward angel
kerouac
bukowski
frank o'hara

are an important pedagogical process of turning the adolescent into a Little poo poo Who Thinks He Is Literary, so he can then be deconstructed and rebuilt once it is out of his system.

its too bad that last part rarely happens

"i've already read all the important books" -- a little poo poo whose papers i've been grading

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

A human heart posted:

this is like the post in some other thread here where someone said that thomas pynchon was multiple people because no one man could have such a grasp of references
no, it's that Pynchon is actually a cabal of writers because it is in line with the themes of his (their) works.

It makes too much sense to not be true

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

no, it's that Pynchon is actually a cabal of writers because it is in line with the themes of his (their) works.

It makes too much sense to not be true
punished "venom" pynchon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

I'm almost finished with Purity and unless it dramatically changes in the last fifty pages (which I don't think it will) it's a really mediocre book. The characters are boring and Franzen seems to be stuck on the anti-internet diatribe that I've seen in a few other boring books like Dave Egger's The Circle. There are also parts where he uses clumsy language to express how characters have trouble thinking as adults in certain areas and it just comes off incredibly stilted to read a fifty year old man think about his "stiffy". If there's one thing I know male writers can do well, it's artfully describe tumescence. The worst part of the book is that it's not bad enough to be entirely not worth reading if you like Franzen - the way that he brings the characters together is interesting and he does make sure that some of them have opposing viewpoints that he almost wants to treat seriously. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing else to read.

I really liked Franzen's last two books but I have absolutely zero interest in even reading this one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You've clearly never been to an American high school

I'm thankful for my literary education, because even though it turned only a chosen few into ponderers of Serious Art, we were taught to approach both literary classics and advertisements with the same approach: what does the text say, what does it do, and how does it do it?

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth, while my required literature classes sucked, I did like my mythology classes (which also covered really old classics). Of course because I was an edgy teenager, I told the teacher that the Divine Comedy (we only read Inferno, but went over the rest of it) was basically this weird self-insert fanfiction. "He has Virgil as his guide to make himself look better. People he hates are burning in Hell, and his girlfriend is perfect and guides him through Heaven. See, it's a bad fanfic."

I never really learned how to analyze stuff, but I should learn how.

Not related to high school, I started reading the Club Dumas which was recommended to me in this thread ages ago. I like it so far, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to wish I was reading a different book while reading this, even if this keeps talking about how awesome Dumas was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm thankful for my literary education, because even though it turned only a chosen few into ponderers of Serious Art, we were taught to approach both literary classics and advertisements with the same approach: what does the text say, what does it do, and how does it do it?

Yeah I never regretted my Comparative Lit degree because it gave me the critical chops to really engage with good fiction.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I never regretted my Comparative Lit degree because it gave me the critical chops to really engage with good fiction.

Funny, you never seem to post any of that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Funny, you never seem to post any of that.

I will loving fight you

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Caustic Chimera posted:

I never really learned how to analyze stuff, but I should learn how.

I'm not sure it's something that needs learning really, imo a lot of why people think things go over their heads in difficult literature is just an assumption that they won't get it that they take into the book and so they don't bother thinking too hard because they're not going to get it any wya. I have no evidence to back this up.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading Lattimore's translation of the Iliad and it's the smoothest reading experience in the world. I read a bit of the start of Pope's Iliad to compare and my initial thoughts were that Lattimore's translation just wasn't anywhere near as beautiful as Pope's but the further I get into it the more I appreciate just how good the flow of Lattimore's is, there's really not a lot I can compare it to it's just lovely.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

When I write essays at university for my lit degree I've noticed that sadly I get best grades when I troll hardest and think of ways to overanalyze stupid poo poo.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Patricia Lockwood posted:

'I'm pregnant!' shouts Jonathan Franzen's wife.
He places a finger on her lips. 'No, it is I who am pregnant,' he says. 'Pregnant with the next great American novel.' He walks into the backyard and places a single portobello mushroom upon the grill.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I legitimately think people who look for symbolism in novels are loving oppressive pedants.

Mandala make ya holla

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

When I write essays at university for my lit degree I've noticed that sadly I get best grades when I troll hardest and think of ways to overanalyze stupid poo poo.

It sounds like your course instructors are smarter than you.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

A human heart posted:

It sounds like your course instructors are smarter than you.

Of course but it was still sad revelation. Makes me wonder how many philosophers are just trolling too

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've always suspected de Selby of making stuff up as he went along

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

Of course but it was still sad revelation. Makes me wonder how many philosophers are just trolling too

With philosophy, its as much about the strength of your argument as it is about the content. So you can have a bullshit, ridiculous conclusion, but if you argue for it in a sound way, you did just fine.

I finished Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and I really loved it. As a veteran, I could relate to some of the stuff about how weird it is when people want to thank you for your service. The love story in it was great, but didn't fit the rest of the book on a thematic level, I didn't think. Still, great read. On to Luminaries, which after 54 pages promises to be even better.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 20, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I finished Catch 22 a few months ago, pretty much the first real book I've ever read. I liked it, I laughed quite a bit, and at one point it even made me feel some feelings. But I just wasn't really interested. There wasn't enough tying the different chapters together until near the very end - it felt like a bunch of vaguely interconnected skits that, while enjoyable to read, didn't give me that page-turning feeling.

Moved on to Crime and Punishment (the Sidney Monas translation was recommended to me by a friend, not sure if he's wrong but it seemed fine) and maybe literature finally clicked with me. I loved it, at least once I got past the loving ridiculous 15 page long monologues that plague the first third of the book. I'm sure they have greater meaning to more intelligent people than I, but I just couldn't stand them. It's been 2 weeks since I finished, and I find thoughts about the book and its meaning just popping into my head all the time.

I'm starting lit studies next year so I wanna get more of the obvious, 'very likely to be required reading in a first year lit class' classics out of the way beforehand, any suggestions? I know I'll have to reread them anyway, but I don't care.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

blue squares posted:

With philosophy, its as much about the strength of your argument as it is about the content. So you can have a bullshit, ridiculous conclusion, but if you argue for it in a sound way, you did just fine.

I finished Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and I really loved it. As a veteran, I could relate to some of the stuff about how weird it is when people want to thank you for your service. The love story in it was great, but didn't fit the rest of the book on a thematic level, I didn't think. Still, great read. On to Luminaries, which after 54 pages promises to be even better.

I was going to point out not all philosophy is sophistry but the sophists convinced me the world including myself doesn't exist so now I feel no need to.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Why does a female edition copy of Dictionary of the Khazars in good condition cost half the price of a beat up copy of the male edition? :psyduck:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Esme posted:

Why does a female edition copy of Dictionary of the Khazars in good condition cost half the price of a beat up copy of the male edition? :psyduck:

I dunnoa about any speficics of publications & translations but I see the Finnish female edition in bookshops every now and then but have never seen the male edition

THE PWNER posted:

I finished Catch 22 a few months ago, pretty much the first real book I've ever read. I liked it, I laughed quite a bit, and at one point it even made me feel some feelings. But I just wasn't really interested. There wasn't enough tying the different chapters together until near the very end - it felt like a bunch of vaguely interconnected skits that, while enjoyable to read, didn't give me that page-turning feeling.

Moved on to Crime and Punishment (the Sidney Monas translation was recommended to me by a friend, not sure if he's wrong but it seemed fine) and maybe literature finally clicked with me. I loved it, at least once I got past the loving ridiculous 15 page long monologues that plague the first third of the book. I'm sure they have greater meaning to more intelligent people than I, but I just couldn't stand them. It's been 2 weeks since I finished, and I find thoughts about the book and its meaning just popping into my head all the time.

I'm starting lit studies next year so I wanna get more of the obvious, 'very likely to be required reading in a first year lit class' classics out of the way beforehand, any suggestions? I know I'll have to reread them anyway, but I don't care.

Why are you gonna study literature if you've never had much interest in it? Not trying to argue or anything, just curious

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

any suggestions?
my suggestion is to change your avatar

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

I dunnoa about any speficics of publications & translations but I see the Finnish female edition in bookshops every now and then but have never seen the male edition

Why are you gonna study literature if you've never had much interest in it? Not trying to argue or anything, just curious

Presumably for the money and birches

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

blue squares posted:

my suggestion is to change your avatar

do it yourself

Ras Het posted:

To develop an interest cus I'm a poo poo boring uncultured person. Also it's a good pathway into postgrad teaching or applied linguistics (with the relevant minor)

I imagine the average 18 year old starting their English major probably hasn't read many of the classics either.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Esme posted:

Patriarchy, obviously.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Read the picture of Dorian Gray recently, couldn't stop imagining Dorian as Arthur Rimbaud. You think Oscar Wilde had a crush on Rimbaud the same way I do?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im gonna find somebody to cum on

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
In two separate phone conversations today I had Dickens recommended to me. I think I read a Christmas Carol ages ago, or maybe I saw a movie of it. Should I just follow that post on the first page and start with Oliver Twist or David Copperfield?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Caustic Chimera posted:

In two separate phone conversations today I had Dickens recommended to me. I think I read a Christmas Carol ages ago, or maybe I saw a movie of it. Should I just follow that post on the first page and start with Oliver Twist or David Copperfield?

Great Expectations, imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah start w Great Expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dickens is poo poo. Don't waste your time. There's so much out there that is far, far greater.