Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

Perhaps kids/families went to see it while only male nerds went to see SW?

The audiences for all my showings, including the marathon, the audience had a decent percentage of women and children. And my non-marathon showings both had several full families

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jivjov posted:

The audiences for all my showings, including the marathon, the audience had a decent percentage of women and children. And my non-marathon showings both had several full families
My Friday 9am showing was about 95% male, all of whom were over 30.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Josh Lyman posted:

My Friday 9am showing was about 95% male, all of whom were over 30.

Kids are in school on Friday at 9am.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kids are in school on Friday at 9am.

It is the week before Christmas though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

It is the week before Christmas though.

I don't follow...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Boon posted:

I don't follow...

Most schools are out of session right now; or very close to it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boon posted:

I don't follow...

School is not in session during winter break...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Also, the soundtrack is glorious!

Rey is Luke's daughter, isn't she?

I hope not, because look at the implications of that:

"Aw crap, my nephew just slaughtered my class because of a lack of love. I better go gently caress off to an island in the middle of nowhere. My daughter? Just drop her on an rear end in a top hat of a desert planet, worked fine for me as a kid."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hazo posted:

I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

This is my father's lightsaber. Sometimes it has needed a new case, and sometimes a new power crystal, but it is still my father's lightsaber.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Imaginary Friend posted:

Rey is Luke's daughter, isn't she?

I hope not. There are to many people around that should have recognized her if she was. My guess is her parents were some random scavengers who went off on a job and died. They had the whole search your feeling you know they're already dead moment. If it was Luke's kid he would have left her with the map man in the opening village. The old man would have mentioned her to Poe if she had ran away from the village.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The buttons on lightsabers always looked way too huge and cartoony. What's wrong with covered slide switches? Something more recessed would ensure there's no way of accidentally pressing it, whether upon pulling the saber out or while in use.

Then again, maybe that's just not a problem for Jedi and having quick activation is more important.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Zomborgon posted:

The buttons on lightsabers always looked way too huge and cartoony. What's wrong with covered slide switches? Something more recessed would ensure there's no way of accidentally pressing it, whether upon pulling the saber out or while in use.

Then again, maybe that's just not a problem for Jedi and having quick activation is more important.
Who designs a sword hilt like that anyway? That looks like it would murder your hand in a fight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Outer space technology needs a lot of buttons and switches and things. Gives the actors busy work to do in scenes AND makes for cooler toys.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kurzon posted:

Who designs a sword hilt like that anyway? That looks like it would murder your hand in a fight.
Anakin's is actually really comfortable as long as you hold it on the side opposite of that rectangular switch thingie. The Episode II Anakin version is pretty awful though:

edit: I think laser swords are cool

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kylo Ren's Lightsaber was loving amazing though. I loved when he had it close to character's faces and you could just see it sizzling and crackling. It is a perfect reflection of his character.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

PT6A posted:

School is not in session during winter break...

Winter break starts Dec. 21, or whenever the Christmas week is.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bruceski posted:

This is my father's lightsaber. Sometimes it has needed a new case, and sometimes a new power crystal, but it is still my father's lightsaber.

the lightsaber of theseus

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

the lightsaber of theseus

it's the lightsaber of anakin idiot

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Red Letter Media posted up their Half in the Bag review in case any of you were wondering what they thought of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsiJppCdmk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rurea posted:

Kylo Ren's Lightsaber was loving amazing though. I loved when he had it close to character's faces and you could just see it sizzling and crackling. It is a perfect reflection of his character.

That and he actually made effective use of those hilt things everyone was making fun of. That was great to see.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Red Letter Media posted up their Half in the Bag review in case any of you were wondering what they thought of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsiJppCdmk

It's good that they specifically call out the Jurassic World was utter garbage and failed to do what Star Wars : TFA succeeded at.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Little financial update...

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens stormed the box office and walked away with an estimated $238 million in its first three days domestically (including $57 million in Thursday night "previews") along with another $279 million internationally for a massive $517 million worldwide opening. Suffice to say, this shatters the domestic box office opening weekend record of $208.8 million set by Jurassic World earlier this year, but the record-breaking doesn't end there.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134&p=.htm

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

And it still hasn't opened in China.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Good. Jurassic World should be bumped and forgotten for the worthless trash it was.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Augus posted:

That and he actually made effective use of those hilt things everyone was making fun of. That was great to see.
Yes, loving this. Back when people were complaining about them I theorized (spoilered to be safe due to context) that they wouldn't let something like that be a decoration-- they'd either have them used as weapons, block a saber (like the crossguards everybody was assuming they were), or have them get chopped off.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Kurzon posted:

Sabers are unrealistic and trying to work with a weightless blade against a trained user with years of practice like Kylo should've left both main characters dismembered in seconds. Sci-fiFantasy is unrealistic, get over it.

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere. I mean, like, GG rebels.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 20, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere.

Why doe this annoy you?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Bongo Bill posted:

Why doe this annoy you?

It's kinda like the interstellar teleporter Khan uses in Star Trek into Darkness or reviving Kirk with his "super blood." You just put Starfleet out of a job and destroyed all in-universe suspense because as long as you aren't vaporized you can be brought back.

Think about it, did you enjoy giant space battles in previous SW movies? If they can destroy entire star systems without leaving home and/or hyperspace planets into each other why would the First Order need to build fleets of ships now? Maybe a few Star Destroyers to shuttle really important people around I guess?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Good. Jurassic World should be bumped and forgotten for the worthless trash it was.

Jurassic World was fun. The Force Awakens is way more fun in comparison though. Like, it was light-years (:razz:) ahead in the fun department. Hopefully Colin Trevorrow (director of Jurassic World) steps up his game for Episode IX and continues that trend of being really fun since I already know Episode VIII is in good hands.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere. I mean, like, GG rebels.

I find your lack of faith [in the resistance/Rey/Finn/Poe] disturbing :razz::razz::razz:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's kinda like the interstellar teleporter Khan uses in Star Trek into Darkness or bringing people back with his super blood. You just put Starfleet out of a job and destroyed all in-universe suspense because as long as you aren't vaporized you can be brought back.

Think about it, did you enjoy giant space battles in previous SW movies? If they can destroy ENTIRE STAR SYSTEMS WITHOUT LEAVING HOME why would the First Order need to build fleets of ships now? Maybe a few Star Destroyers to shuttle really important people around I guess?

Try some of these answers:

Because sometimes they need to do something to a planet other than destroy it, or destroy something other than a planet. Because they may need to defend the base from enemy attack. Because they only have one such weapon and it's brand new (this film depicts the first and last time it's ever used). Because it's expensive to make, expensive to use, and can't be fired often.

The Death Star could travel through hyperspace as well, you'll recall.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Because sometimes they need to do something to a planet other than destroy it, or destroy something other than a planet. Because they may need to defend the base from enemy attack. Because they only have one such weapon and it's brand new (this film depicts the first and last time it's ever used). Because it's expensive to make, expensive to use, and can't be fired often.

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a planet

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it established that light sabers have weightless blades?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

No.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

The blades are made of energy. They're weightless.

Bongo Bill posted:

I guess you could keep a massive fleet on hand to defend it. Which they didn't... for reasons.

But the Death Star had to get into position to target the Rebel base (there was a gas giant in the way). That's what gave the rebels a shot at the exhaust trench at the end of Ep 4. This one really doesn't unless you count its CHARGIN MAH LAZER weakness.

This brings up some other questions. Why not just draw energy from another star in an unmonitored, uninhabited system so you can just commit exterminatus on every planet the heroes are on without warning?

I really need to remind myself it's just a movie, I really should just relax.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it established that light sabers have weightless blades?

Not according to canon http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber And the physical properties of lightsabers don't matter anyways.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

The blades are made of energy. They're weightless.

I guess you could keep a massive fleet on hand to defend it. Which they didn't... for reasons.

But the Death Star had to get into position to target the Rebel base (there was a gas giant in the way). That's what gave the rebels a shot at the exhaust trench at the end of Ep 4. This one really doesn't unless you count its CHARGIN MAH LAZER weakness.

This brings up some other questions. Why not just draw energy from another star in an unmonitored, uninhabited system so you can just commit exterminatus on every planet the heroes are on without warning?

I really need to remind myself it's just a movie, I really should just relax.

That's what they did. They did exactly what you're asking why they didn't do it. Starkiller Base was hidden in an otherwise uninhabited system. Once the existence of the weapon was revealed, the Resistance knew it would only be a matter of time before they were targeted, because Kylo Ren would likely get the location of the secret Resistance base out of Rey. (They did not previously know the location of the base.) If Finn hadn't told the Resistance the location of Starkiller Base and its weakness, the First Order could have continued to destroy planets with impunity.

Their fleet appears to be small. The First Order is not the Galactic Empire; rather than a whole boardroom full of top brass, they've just got one General, Hux.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

That's what they did. They did exactly what you're asking why they didn't do it. Starkiller Base was hidden in an otherwise uninhabited system. Once the existence of the weapon was revealed, the Resistance knew it would only be a matter of time before they were targeted, because Kylo Ren would likely get the location of the secret Resistance base out of Rey. (They did not previously know the location of the base.) If Finn hadn't told the Resistance the location of Starkiller Base and its weakness, the First Order could have continued to destroy planets with impunity.

Their fleet appears to be small. The First Order is not the Galactic Empire; rather than a whole boardroom full of top brass, they've just got one General, Hux.

It's entirely possible that what you're saying is true, but you have to admit the movie is really vague and fast-moving when it comes to Starkiller in particular. The fact that I'm not even clear if it's firing a beam through hyperspace at anywhere or actually going to the systems it's destroying should tell you that. I feel like this was supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour movie with some more explanation of what the gently caress is going on and Disney was like, "lolnope make it an even 2."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teagone posted:

Not according to canon http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber And the physical properties of lightsabers don't matter anyways.
You don't need to tell me. Tell DeusExMachinima.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Jurassic World was fun. The Force Awakens is way more fun in comparison though. Like, it was light-years (:razz:) ahead in the fun department. Hopefully Colin Trevorrow (director of Jurassic World) steps up his game for Episode IX and continues that trend of being really fun since I already know Episode VIII is in good hands.

The only "fun" thing in Jurassic World was the very last 10 minutes. The entire tone of the movie was ping ponging between wanting to be taken seriously or wanting to to be silly. It was awful garbage for idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jurassic World was a trash movie and its box office numbers just go to prove that people are dumb.

• Locked thread