Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

davidHalestorm posted:

I think I'm still too early to tell but you get introduced to 9 characters ( 5 male and 4 females) at once within the first 20 minutes and they're a little stereotypical so far. I clicked with Estelle and Joshua right away but not with these guys. The voice acting is very good though.

Early stereotypical can be okay, depending on what gets done with it. Chrono Trigger's characters are all stereotypes, but done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

davidHalestorm posted:

Um, as it turns out, Cold Steel is already out for Region 3, I just bought my copy today. I've played it for two hours now4.

It...

You...

... What.

:rant:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Amazon still hasn't told me when they're shipping my copy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you want something to tide yourself over in the meantime, this guy is translating trails to zero on his youtube account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhmVcOxWK0

it's not the best translation and not the best way to experience it, but it's nice as a teaser of sorts

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on (Insert Date Here), 2015 (Order# X). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

"The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Edition - PlayStation Vita"
Estimated arrival date: December 29, 2015 - December 30, 2015

I knew I could rely on you to miss a release date yet again, XSEED! You never disappoint!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
VGP.ca shipped my order on the 17th, so I don't think this is on XSeed.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on (Insert Date Here), 2015 (Order# X). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

"The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Edition - PlayStation Vita"
Estimated arrival date: December 29, 2015 - December 30, 2015

I knew I could rely on you to miss a release date yet again, XSEED! You never disappoint!

Hmm. Canada again?

Well, we'll see if it's better than US Amazon who haven't even gotten a shipping date yet.

Though in my case, even if they don't get it until the 22nd, I should still get it by the 24th via Prime Shipping? Iunno.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Hmm. Canada again?

Well, we'll see if it's better than US Amazon who haven't even gotten a shipping date yet.

Though in my case, even if they don't get it until the 22nd, I should still get it by the 24th via Prime Shipping? Iunno.

We can only hope. I'd just like to get an acknowledgement of some sort.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

We can only hope. I'd just like to get an acknowledgement of some sort.

Well, people have been asking on the XSEED forums too, so we should get something from them soonish, at least.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Well, people have been asking on the XSEED forums too, so we should get something from them soonish, at least.

Their last day in the office was yesterday. They're not obliged to answer us until they're back working.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Supremezero posted:

It...

You...

... What.

:rant:

Sorry, dude. I know how you feel, it sucks when one region gets a game while other regions either don't get it at all or wait longer to get it.

V-Men posted:

Early stereotypical can be okay, depending on what gets done with it. Chrono Trigger's characters are all stereotypes, but done well.

Yeah, you're right. I trust the writing enough to think they'll do something interesting and unexpected with these fairly stock characters. Btw, this game feels even more like Persona 4 once you get to the first school free roam part. You get the flipping calendar to denote passage of time, you answer questions in classroom to raise your Academic Point (replacement for BP), even the music in this part sounds a little like Persona 4.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Oh, Amazon gave me a date. Apparently I was right. The 24th. What a nice christmas present for... uh, a non-christian, but eh. Could be worse. I was kinda hoping to get it on release day, but oh well.

Yeah, like I thought they don't even get it til the 22nd, huh.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 20, 2015

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
So, the game just introduced me to a mechanic called Bonding Events. This means in each of your free days, you can choose to spend time with one of your classmates in Class VII to increase their social combat links, which I'll assume give you various gameplay benefits. Yeah...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cool, I was just thinking they should have made more Persona 4

are there any standout waifus

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

A new day, a new excuse for Slur to demonstrate how unfathomably stupid he is and why he should stop posting.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

A new day, a new excuse for Slur to demonstrate how unfathomably stupid he is and why he should stop posting.

Rude.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
So after Trails SC the series goes something like: Third, Zero, Ao, Sen, Sen 2?

Are we likely at all to see the first three of those? I vaguely remember this thread saying that they were basically PSP only, but it sounds like Zero at least had a PC version (albeit Chinese with horrid DRM).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SorcerousHam posted:

Are we likely at all to see the first three of those? I vaguely remember this thread saying that they were basically PSP only, but it sounds like Zero at least had a PC version (albeit Chinese with horrid DRM).

Trails 3rd was originally released on PC so it's got the best chances, and Falcom ported Zero to PC in 2013. They might be able to come up with something for Ao, but that's only if they decide to translate that series.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SorcerousHam posted:

Third and Zero both have PC releases. Ao has... an unofficial PC release (which is the chinese version you mentioned). People have been poking Falcom into re-porting it, but they haven't done so yet.

Realistically, the chances of seeing Third are probably entirely dependent on SC's sales. Zero and Ao might benefit from CS's sales too, but Falcom's probably going to have to do the re-port for Ao before it's really considered.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's possible but there are obstacles. It's hard to say exactly how likely without inside information. 3rd is more likely than zero and ao though

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
That's a shame, because from watching that walkthrough of the Chinese version of Zero it seems like it has an amusing story, at the start at least. Crossbell is a hell of a lot different from Liberl.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well, that's more or less true of all of the areas, and is probably a large reason why it moves around like it does.

But the best way at this point to get Ao re-ported is probably to give XSEED more power to nag, I imagine. Which you can help by voting with your wallet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm more sad we're never getting an official translation of Nayuta no Kiseki, tbh. Third, Zero and Ao have better chances because most of them are available on PC and since Zero was ported just a couple years ago that might not entirely rule out a real port of Ao, but Nayuta no Kiseki is just kind of doomed to having a pretty awkward translation until somebody with lots of free time and a better understanding of Japanese decides to redo it.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Well I wasn't really keen on getting Cold Steel since I haven't used my PS3 in ages and I had enough Persona 4 through playing Persona 4, but if it'll help get the other three translated I suppose I should go hunting for a copy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The hardest one to actually bring over has been done so it's all downhill from here in terms of scripts and stuff. Zero and Ao run a bit larger but 3rd has a pretty easy to localize script due to little to no npc stuff. the Cold Steel games we already know are tiny in comparison to even FC. We'll prob get news on 3rd plans sometime next year, and by the time we have both cold steel games and likely 3rd, we'll probably have news on what their plans are re: Zero and Ao.

By the time CS2 is out we'll have gotten 4 of these games in a 3 year window. There is no way to look at this thing other than optimistically.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Last I heard, Zero and Ao's license belonged to some defunct company. Has any news come since then in regards to that?

Also, I saw someone on gbatemp was fan translating Zero no Kiseki. His last update was a few weeks ago, and he had some beautiful proof of concepts, but he required extra help in terms of tech stuff. Here's hoping his translation goes well and is quality work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah since cold steel is out on tuesday it is probably worth sharing that unlike in Sky, the difficulties in CS aren't as messed up and Hard seems to be the recommended difficulty to play on.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Really? I chose Normal so I guess we'll see how that fare later on.

Really Pants posted:

cool, I was just thinking they should have made more Persona 4

are there any standout waifus

Don't you worry about that, friend.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well, Cold Steel is apparently really easy, so yeah. I mean, FC wasn't really hard either, but still.

Hmmm. And it seems Amazon is slightly less useless than they led me to believe. They have the game, and are tentatively set to deliver it on the 23rd, instead? That's what that see through circle means, right? So only one day late. Huzzah, my faith in Amazon slightly restored.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Well, Cold Steel is apparently really easy, so yeah. I mean, FC wasn't really hard either, but still.

Hmmm. And it seems Amazon is slightly less useless than they led me to believe. They have the game, and are tentatively set to deliver it on the 23rd, instead? That's what that see through circle means, right? So only one day late. Huzzah, my faith in Amazon slightly restored.

Not in Canada, though. Then again, as of last June, we've been getting shafted hard on all fronts of gaming.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

Not in Canada, though. Then again, as of last June, we've been getting shafted hard on all fronts of gaming.

whoo 80 dollar games

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supremezero posted:

I still haven't even gotten an email talking about a shipping date.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
According to Gematsu, "Ys VIII starts when Adol is washed ashore a cursed island," which I feel at this point in the series is hardly worth noting. :v:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

According to Gematsu, "Ys VIII starts when Adol is washed ashore a cursed island," which I feel at this point in the series is hardly worth noting. :v:

I know Adol is a silent protagonist, but I gotta wonder what goes through his mind when he gets on a boat. I sure hope he doesn't expect to end up where he planned to go!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy poo poo, my copy of Cold Steel's going to arrive TOMORROW!

I will definitely be ripping it open after I get off work.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I get mine on the 30th. :sigh: Time to avoid this thread for a week, I guess.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, my copy of Cold Steel's going to arrive TOMORROW!

I will definitely be ripping it open after I get off work.

Apparently mine has shipped and is arriving either tomorrow or the next day. Neat.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I get mine on the 30th. :sigh: Time to avoid this thread for a week, I guess.

People in this thread have generally been good about not posting spoilers in a visible manner.

Please continue in that vein everyone! TIA!

But yeah, I still haven't played through the whole of SC yet and as I said people have been good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Don't worry, I'll make sure to either not post at all or make my posts look like CIA documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Munin posted:

People in this thread have generally been good about not posting spoilers in a visible manner.

Please continue in that vein everyone! TIA!

But yeah, I still haven't played through the whole of SC yet and as I said people have been good.

The true villain is the cat you had to chase after in the prologue of FC.