Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

paradoxGentleman posted:

her name is loving cho chang goddamnit

It could just be short for Cholena! :colbert:
http://www.girlsnamefinder.com/name/8184/Cholena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Klaus88 posted:

Silence is consent sounds like a direct warhammer 40k quote. :stare:
Far older than that. "Qui tacet, consentit."

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

"by furious goal post shifting the enemy is both pathetic and terrifying."

That is probably a paraphrase of a fragment of Umbeto Eco's Eternal Fascism.

quote:

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.

So these people aren't just dickheads, they align with a 20 year old definition of facism!

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

paradoxGentleman posted:

her name is loving cho chang goddamnit

Cho Chang is such a stereotype for the only Asian character in Harry Potter and one of very few Asian characters in pop culture in general that a young poet did a really good slam poem about how much stereotypes suck and how they infiltrated Cho Chang's character. The reception is mixed, since tumblr loves nothing more than its core fandoms (Harry Potter among them) but also hates the idea of anything being even slightly problematic, and so the two essences of tumblr users of course made people just write off potential issues with the fact that J.K. Rowling is probably actually a really nice person you guys!!

Edit to mention: this is probably not something most goons will like because slam poetry is about shouting progressive complaints into the air, so if you hate this maybe the IoSM can be the people in the comments who take the other route and completely cast off J.K. Rowling because she's clearly a hateful hack fraud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFPWwx96Kew

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Dec 20, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Cho Chang is such a stereotype for the only Asian character in Harry Potter and one of very few Asian characters in pop culture in general that a young poet did a really good slam poem about how much stereotypes suck and how they infiltrated Cho Chang's character. The reception is mixed, since tumblr loves nothing more than its core fandoms (Harry Potter among them) but also hates the idea of anything being even slightly problematic, and so the two essences of tumblr users of course made people just write off potential issues with the fact that J.K. Rowling is probably actually a really nice person you guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFPWwx96Kew

It's hard for me to notice stereotypes like these, because the ones diffused here in Italy are sort of different (we don't have the "asians are smart" one but we do add "they have no hygiene" and "there are no Chinese funerals") but man, I feel like I should have noticed some of these.

She seemed more like a generic Love Interest to me.

paradoxGentleman has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Dec 20, 2015

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
These Star Wars racists are especially funny since Force Awakens keeps the Star Wars status quo of only one black guy and one female under 50 existing at time in the universe.

Honestly as a white guy I find it embarrassing how few main characters in movies aren't white dudes, so I just don't get these teats crying about the one movie were the main guys aren't white dudes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

These Star Wars racists are especially funny since Force Awakens keeps the Star Wars status quo of only one black guy and one female under 50 existing at time in the universe.

Honestly as a white guy I find it embarrassing how few main characters in movies aren't white dudes, so I just don't get these teats crying about the one movie were the main guys aren't white dudes.

Not really. I mean outside of the main trio and the villain you don't have any other main characters aside from the returned characters. What I did notice is they put a lot more women and people of color as background troops for both sides.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

They even have black girls!!!!!!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

They even have black girls!!!!!!

There was an Asian girl pilot who had more on-screen time than porkins. Also an alien red squadron pilot who died but that still probably counts as diversity. Also some of the storm troopers were randomly girls including the shiny silver one who might have been their leader or something (?)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fatkraken posted:

I seem to remember a lot of people being confused that Cho was ethnically Chinese but also Scottish.

Which isn't weird at all, because there is a massive Sino-Scottish community (including the actress who played Cho, Katie Leung).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Phantom Menace had two black people: Mace Windu and Captain Panaka of Naboo's royal guard.

It is also considered by some to be the worst one. Check and mate SJWailures.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cumslut1895 posted:

given that so many of the cloned troops died, you'd think it would be logical that the empire would start to recruit soldiers from it's territory
Not having any knowledge of the EU outside of having played a couple of the video games, I always assumed (after the prequels came out) that the clones were phased out by the time of the original trilogy and it was just volunteers or conscripts by that stage.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's hard for me to notice stereotypes like these, because the ones diffused here in Italy are sort of different (we don't have the "asians are smart" one but we do add "they have no hygiene" and "there are no Chinese funerals") but man, I feel like I should have noticed some of these.

She seemed more like a generic Love Interest to me.
I've read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies and basically all I remember about her is that she was Harry's girlfriend for a while but he clearly wasn't that into her so she broke up with him. How people can even care about such a nothing character is beyond me. I mean, if you're talking about a meta-level where Asian characters in anglosphere media are often stereotypical then yeah, she could be a fine example. But if you're just specifically a Harry Potter fan, why do you even care about this character?

Fathis Munk posted:

I really never got why those people are so afraid of colored people. As a white guy I can't say anyone ever stole my job or my woman or my heritage. And I mean it's not like our society has become biased in favor to POCs, on the contrary we haven't even reached equality yet. I'm working in academia and boy are POCs underrepresented at work.
I think the bolded facts may be related. The "stealing our jobs" rhetoric only works for jobs with essentially no barriers to entry that are also being phased out. Really it's cheaper overseas labour and increased efficiency that are reducing the number of jobs, but because those are the sort of jobs that immigrants without (recognised) qualifications can get, if you're working in that area you see more of your coworkers are immigrants and your job security is vanishing and it's not hard to put two and two together.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

If you don't think about the media you consume and you're used to 99% of everything being aimed specifically at you, then there's a cultural shift away from that and suddenly only 75% (or even 90%) of stuff is aimed at you, it feels like things are being taken away from you. "I used to be able to pick basically any movie at random and it would be great, but now a bunch of them are about poo poo I don't care about, movies are getting worse and worse!" If you don't stop to think about the people who weren't being targeted before and how they might not have been particularly interested in stuff aimed specifically at white, middle-class, men, then it's hard to see how there was even a problem. And even if you go one step further, it's easy to say "well, OK, this genre might have been aimed at my demographic, but what's wrong with that? I don't have a problem with other films existing, just as long as they're not replacing the stuff I like." It's hard to see things you're not looking for, so if you're the audience being catered to it's easy to assume that other audiences are also being catered to, you're just not seeing their stuff because it's not for you.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Byzantine posted:

It was very nice of them to preserve Greco-Roman knowledge after attacking and conquering most of the Greco-Roman Empire, yes.

Not to downplay the importance of Islamic science in the medieval era (which was indeed insanely important and heavily underrated by racists), but it's a little silly to credit them with saving ancient knowledge when they're the ones that destroyed Sassanid Persia and any hope of a restored Rome.

Think you might be biased on this one Mr. Eastern Roman Empire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

There was an Asian girl pilot who had more on-screen time than porkins. Also an alien red squadron pilot who died but that still probably counts as diversity. Also some of the storm troopers were randomly girls including the shiny silver one who might have been their leader or something (?)

Yea, it was cool to hear the random chatter from the Storm Troopers and hearing clearly female voices among them. Also, her name is Captain Phasma and she was played by a true lady

http://i.imgur.com/TbuOcyp.jpg

And I never felt like there was anything stereotypical about Cho at all. She wasn't good at math, or had over bearing parents, or talked in an Engrish style. She seems about as well developed as any of the side characters.

There are certainly a aspect of damned if you do damned if you don;t when it comes to diversity in nerd stuff. If you don't include any POC or women or any other under represented groups, you'll hear about it. If you do add them, people will criticize you for stereotyping or not representing them correctly. There's also the problem of getting "you included women and people of colour, but where are the LBGQT people????????" type comments. I would think that in a ideal society, who you sleep with or who you identify as would be invisible and therefor not needed to have attention brought to it unless the plot needed it. Being gay would not effect being a space pilot in anyway, so why does it need to be mentioned? You can also end up in a situation where that becomes the story, rather than the one your trying to tell.

How would it have changed the stories if we knew Dumbledore was gay to begin with? In no way, plus in his situation there's no reason to announce it. His private life is that, his private life. It becomes part of the backstory which is actually quite tragic, though it's unimportant because this is Harry's story.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TinTower posted:

Which isn't weird at all, because there is a massive Sino-Scottish community (including the actress who played Cho, Katie Leung).

yeah, that's my point, it's perfectly normal but it seemed to baffle some people

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it was cool to hear the random chatter from the Storm Troopers and hearing clearly female voices among them. Also, her name is Captain Phasma and she was played by a true lady

http://i.imgur.com/TbuOcyp.jpg

And I never felt like there was anything stereotypical about Cho at all. She wasn't good at math, or had over bearing parents, or talked in an Engrish style. She seems about as well developed as any of the side characters.

There are certainly a aspect of damned if you do damned if you don;t when it comes to diversity in nerd stuff. If you don't include any POC or women or any other under represented groups, you'll hear about it. If you do add them, people will criticize you for stereotyping or not representing them correctly. There's also the problem of getting "you included women and people of colour, but where are the LBGQT people????????" type comments. I would think that in a ideal society, who you sleep with or who you identify as would be invisible and therefor not needed to have attention brought to it unless the plot needed it. Being gay would not effect being a space pilot in anyway, so why does it need to be mentioned? You can also end up in a situation where that becomes the story, rather than the one your trying to tell.

How would it have changed the stories if we knew Dumbledore was gay to begin with? In no way, plus in his situation there's no reason to announce it. His private life is that, his private life. It becomes part of the backstory which is actually quite tragic, though it's unimportant because this is Harry's story.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and that's why I think the poem and it's critiques aren't aimed at Rowling herself but leagues of people who still use Harry Potter as an example for everything. Like, J.K. Rowling says Donald Trump is worse than Voldemort (I don't know how because he hasn't killed anybody yet and they both lead a bunch of angry racists) and it's big news. Rowling's work is treated like a perfect text and so part of the point of critique is just reminding people that it isn't. I'm not saying you fall into this trap, but I've noticed that many people seem to equate feminist critiques with being unable to enjoy a thing, but actually, many feminists really like work that is problematic for various reasons (feminist Shakespeare scholars, for example, don't rush to defend the idea that his early use of the cuck meme was anything other than an acknowledgement that men should have women under control).

So in my interpretation, the poet is less saying "wow J.K. you really hosed up by only acknowledging Dumbledore's sexuality outside of the text" and more saying "you nerds can't possibly think this is what a positive portrayal of a gay character is supposed to look like". The idea is to challenge people to create and to want characters who more fully encompass roles at a rate more similar to the actual occurring one. It's also to challenge people to stop worshipping Rowling as incapable of flaw. And when positive portrayals of characters of color and various sexualities start to pop up (Borderlands is actually really good with this, I've found, and nobody talks about how diverse Borderlands characters are across the three main games and the Telltale adventure), people won't bring it up much because they're too busy enjoying the media.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this last one is apparently a genuine neo nazi twitter which also happens to be real mad at star wars

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I loved the new Star Wars, but then again, I'm not a neo-nazi.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

The Spartans lost.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Oh poo poo I had no idea she was Brienne of Tarth! Too bad she just kind of looked cool and didn't do anything aside from get captured

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of her stuff was cut from the film, unfortunately.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

A lot of her stuff was cut from the film, unfortunately.

I liked the movie but I stand by my opinion that all of the villains looked totally inept by the end of it. I wonder how much of that was editing

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno, I have a feeling that might have been intentional - there's a scene where the primary antagonist throws a massive tantrum and Stormtroopers just back off to let him calm down. :v:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tiggum posted:

I've read all the Harry Potter books and seen all the movies and basically all I remember about her is that she was Harry's girlfriend for a while but he clearly wasn't that into her so she broke up with him. How people can even care about such a nothing character is beyond me. I mean, if you're talking about a meta-level where Asian characters in anglosphere media are often stereotypical then yeah, she could be a fine example. But if you're just specifically a Harry Potter fan, why do you even care about this character?

Because representation matters. I remember reading Harry Potter as a young child and being really bummed out when I found out Hermione wasn't a mixed girl like myself, because that was what I enthusiastically had made my brain think she was. :(
It's also hosed up for someone like J.K. Rowling who's really into names having meaning to them to just plop a Korean name onto a Chinese girl.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

Because representation matters. I remember reading Harry Potter as a young child and being really bummed out when I found out Hermione wasn't a mixed girl like myself, because that was what I enthusiastically had made my brain think she was. :(
It's also hosed up for someone like J.K. Rowling who's really into names having meaning to them to just plop a Korean name onto a Chinese girl.

Are you trying to tell me Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington is supposed to have deeper meaning than "quirky magical bullshit"?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or that Harry Potter isn't a werewolf kilnsmith?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are you trying to tell me Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington is supposed to have deeper meaning than "quirky magical bullshit"?

Nicholas is from the Greek Nikolaos, "victory of the people." Nick is a jokey, ironic nickname and pun -- one definition of nick is "to cut slightly," and he received more than just a little cut when he was beheaded. Sir indicates he was knighted by a British monarch when he was alive. Porpington is a name Rowling made up and is closest to porpentine, an obsolete name for a porcupine. "Like quills upon the fretful porpentine...": From Shakespeare's Hamlet. Nick can be a prickly-tempered person at times. Mimsy may have come from the same word coined by Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll. It appears in his nonsense poem "The Jabberwocky": "All mimsy were the borogoves..."

Christian doctrine is of tolerance , and forgiveness. Islam is of subjugation. Believe or die.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that website posted:

Neville Longbottom: Neville means "new town." Longbottom is a comical name, perhaps suggesting this bumbling student is chubby or has a "long bottom" that trips him up.

:allears:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmao well I didn't say it wasn't mostly stupid as gently caress and for children.

https://twigurrl.wordpress.com/2011...e-want-to-barf/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Nicholas is from the Greek Nikolaos, "victory of the people." Nick is a jokey, ironic nickname and pun -- one definition of nick is "to cut slightly," and he received more than just a little cut when he was beheaded. Sir indicates he was knighted by a British monarch when he was alive. Porpington is a name Rowling made up and is closest to porpentine, an obsolete name for a porcupine. "Like quills upon the fretful porpentine...": From Shakespeare's Hamlet. Nick can be a prickly-tempered person at times. Mimsy may have come from the same word coined by Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll. It appears in his nonsense poem "The Jabberwocky": "All mimsy were the borogoves..."

Christian doctrine is of tolerance , and forgiveness. Islam is of subjugation. Believe or die.

Also it's the most wonderfully poncy aristocratic name I can think of. Same as how Longbottom just screams upper-middle class.

She's basically the modern Roald Dahl in how her names are a) Bonkers as hell, and b) pitched to absolute perfection. You hear a name like Aunt Petunia and you know exactly what you're getting.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

How do people I know know people like this well enough to have them as FB friends?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
That it insane, even as far as fundamentalist science goes. Does he think the sun revolves around the earth? Is he even being serious?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Gross Dude posted:

That it insane, even as far as fundamentalist science goes. Does he think the sun revolves around the earth? Is he even being serious?

YOU IGNORE 3 OF 4 DAYS -
FORCE 4 DAYS ON EARTH,
THEY ALREADY EXIST.
4 HORSEMEN HAVE 4 DAYS
IN ONLY 1 EARTH ROTATION.
4 ANGLES STOOD ON 4 CORNERS.
4 CORNERS ROTATE TO 16 CORNERS
WHICH EQUAL TO 4 CORNER DAYS.
TEACHERS ARE EVIL LIARS - THE
ONEness OF GOD IS STILLness DEATH.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dzhay posted:

How do people I know know people like this well enough to have them as FB friends?

Legit thought flat earth society people were a joke. I mean I'm not totally shocked they're real but jesus christ

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Stoatbringer posted:

YOU IGNORE 3 OF 4 DAYS -
FORCE 4 DAYS ON EARTH,
THEY ALREADY EXIST.
4 HORSEMEN HAVE 4 DAYS
IN ONLY 1 EARTH ROTATION.
4 ANGLES STOOD ON 4 CORNERS.
4 CORNERS ROTATE TO 16 CORNERS
WHICH EQUAL TO 4 CORNER DAYS.
TEACHERS ARE EVIL LIARS - THE
ONEness OF GOD IS STILLness DEATH.

Still the best crazy person.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Gross Dude posted:

Well, just under the screencap, he linked to http://www.zengardner.com/the-biggest-lie-of-all-nasa-and-the-flat-earth/ and seemed to be defending it in the comments.

So yeah, legit crazy person.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

Legit thought flat earth society people were a joke. I mean I'm not totally shocked they're real but jesus christ

The Flat Earth Theory is weird. It never existed in any meaningful way until the 19th century. Scholars seem to agree that Washington Irving's history book is the first place the idea that people in the past thought the earth was flat in the past was used in a academic work. Maybe average people didn't know, but it wasn't really something that effected their lives. Anyone who sailed or lived near the sea knew it was round, and you can find tons of representations of the Earth in art that shows spheres. Though hilariously this is used by Ancient Alien proponents as evidence because everyone in the past was dumb so therefor Aliens. Anyways, from there it basically became a meme because the Victorians had this romanticized image of the past were everyone was courtly, polite, well behaved and dumb as poo poo. They like to pretend they invented reason and science, and what better way to do it than to say they thought the world was flat. Or on the back of turtles.

Thing is people totally believed that and then that evolved into people thinking that yes, it's true. Every piece of evidence for roundness is faked by THEM. There have been experiments to prove things are flat, but either they fail (because of sabotage) or they "succeed". One well know "success" was using a long straight line of poles that would attach themselves, and if the world was round, the distance would change between their bottoms and the ground, which it didn't. It was later found that the poles were actually curved nearly exactly the curve of the earth so yes, they would have the same distance from bottom to the ground.

Flat Earthers are pretty harmless on their own, its when they combine it with Chemtrails, Lizardmen, Truth and Birther (yes Obama is a secret muslim AND hiding the flat earth from us).

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and that's why I think the poem and it's critiques aren't aimed at Rowling herself but leagues of people who still use Harry Potter as an example for everything. Like, J.K. Rowling says Donald Trump is worse than Voldemort (I don't know how because he hasn't killed anybody yet and they both lead a bunch of angry racists) and it's big news. Rowling's work is treated like a perfect text and so part of the point of critique is just reminding people that it isn't. I'm not saying you fall into this trap, but I've noticed that many people seem to equate feminist critiques with being unable to enjoy a thing, but actually, many feminists really like work that is problematic for various reasons (feminist Shakespeare scholars, for example, don't rush to defend the idea that his early use of the cuck meme was anything other than an acknowledgement that men should have women under control).

So in my interpretation, the poet is less saying "wow J.K. you really hosed up by only acknowledging Dumbledore's sexuality outside of the text" and more saying "you nerds can't possibly think this is what a positive portrayal of a gay character is supposed to look like". The idea is to challenge people to create and to want characters who more fully encompass roles at a rate more similar to the actual occurring one. It's also to challenge people to stop worshipping Rowling as incapable of flaw. And when positive portrayals of characters of color and various sexualities start to pop up (Borderlands is actually really good with this, I've found, and nobody talks about how diverse Borderlands characters are across the three main games and the Telltale adventure), people won't bring it up much because they're too busy enjoying the media.

Being able to critique and take critism of things you like is a sign of maturity that most nerds lack. There has never been anything I have enjoyed that didn't have some aspect that could be problematic at the very least. I mean, I love Lovecraft's stuff but even in when I was a teen reading it for the first time, a lot of the obvious racist stuff was clear to me, though some things that were most likely meant to be racist either didn't register because I don't think like that, or was completely missed due to the purple prose. For example I always though the "degenerate swamp folk" in Call of Cthulhu were mean to be like inbred hick white people, and Lovecraft was mocking the idea of the Klan running around in robes burning crosses and being all crazy with their racism, adding a mysticism to it. Though I've seen most critics say that he just meant poor black folks who loved in the swamps. Congaree I think they would have been refereed to.

And yea, does a gay character have to act all fem and fabulous to people? One of the best things was in the Flash when the police Captain is shot someone says "we gotta call his husband". It has never come up that he's gay, it has zero effect on the story, but having that as just a matter of fact is a perfect example of "being gay isn't a big deal and it doesn't need to be brought up".

I'm pretty good friends with my sister's friend who teaches Feminist literary theory (among other things) and we have great discussions about women in fantasy and sci-fi because you can tell when someone says "yes women should have a bigger role, and yes, I should have people of colour and gays in my story" and then because of ignorance or just the way society views these people at the time, they become problematic. Older Sci-fi and fantasy is a lot like this. I always felt Dune was a great work for the time because Baron Harkonnen's homosexuality doesn't feel like its added to make him more evil, though his gluttony certainly is. Also, you have Jessica who feels like an equal partner for Leto. Though I know some people see this in other ways.

It all comes down to nerds filling their lives with media and defining themselves by the media they consume, and therefor attacks of their favorite movies and games and whatnot becomes a personal attack. Jesus gently caress guys, you can say "I have issues with the way women are portrayed in this game, but it is still a good game". I'm not calling you dumb or even sexist just because you really loving like that game. But no, any criticism of beloved nerd things is an vicious attack and must be met with as strong as force as possible (especially if it was a woman).

I tried to find the tweets, but Ernest Cline, hack writer of Ready Player One and Armada has a real issue with people criticizing his work. He got pretty salty on twitter when the Podcast I Don't even Own a Television reviewed both his books and called them bad.

This kind of reminds me of a discussion I had forever ago on MYSPACE. Friend posted an article say how Fantasy was inherently racist because they always have "evil races" which always are analogs for non-whites. It was very broad and generalized, using a lot of LOTR as evidence, but also looked at Conan, Elric, D&D and others. Basically, if you have an race that's evil, you can draw parallels to the things that make it evil to outdated stereotypes of non-white peoples such as human sacrifice, cannibalism, oppression, madness, violence and carnality. Hence, racism. It seemed completely ignorant of anything beyond surface readings of anything, and I knew it missed things that were obvious in the works it was using as reference. It referred to the Melnibone as "Idealized images of European Supremacy that would make Hitler proud", which is insanely poor reading of it because Moorecock clearly states that the Melnibone are a vile, corrupt and evil people who care nothing for anyone who isn't them, and deserve to have their monopoly of power to be torn down. There is merit to the reading of LOTR that is about proper Nordic European peoples defeating evil peoples of the East and South, though within the books you can find that these were not inherently evil, but corrupted by the power that Sauron offered them. Though that's buried in the appendix that are not something everyone going to read, so it appears more the latter.

Anyways, I commented on it, talking about the misreadings of things or the straight up completely wrong information given, and argued that even if you can draw parallels between the antagonists of these works and real world racial stereotypes, that doesn't mean that was the intention, not to mention many of them were extremely generalized. Someone responded to me with a flippant comment which I remember went something like "Of course you'd defend this kind of racist garbage. People like you are so full of hate, but know its not okay to express it against real people, you need to create fictional ones to put that hate on. You disgust me". I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say. I was not aware that not liking fictional people made you a monster.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 21, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It was just announced that Hermione is being played by a black woman in the new Harry Potter stage play. So we can look forward to more racist nerd tears in the near future.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this last one is apparently a genuine neo nazi twitter which also happens to be real mad at star wars

wait since when do racists consider polish people to be white!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
This guy I vaguely know is always liking relatively wanky posts about astrology. For context, I live in the Southern Hemisphere in case you were wondering why they are rambling about the summer solstice.