Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

It makes less sense that snoke is just some fabricated character from nowhere who only happens to look like an old corpse and is old as hell, than it is for snoke to be exactly who he appears to be. its true that this movie never once mentioned plagueis but he has been brought up before and considering his little quirk is preventing or reversing death, it seems pretty loving likely that he would come back.

On the other hand, force sensitivity is common enough that Luke can just start a new Jedi academy out of random people he's found and the force seems to be the kind of thing people can self train in once they're aware of it. I think in a galaxy of trillions of people maybe, just maybe, one of them could be an rear end in a top hat without being related to / known by Palpatine or the Skywalker family.

Although maybe Luke's new Jedi academy was entirely comprised of his children because only a Skywalker can use the force and he's actually on the run from all his baby mamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

FallenGod posted:

On the other hand, force sensitivity is common enough that Luke can just start a new Jedi academy out of random people he's found and the force seems to be the kind of thing people can self train in once they're aware of it. I think in a galaxy of trillions of people maybe, just maybe, one of them could be an rear end in a top hat without being related to / known by Palpatine or the Skywalker family.

Although maybe Luke's new Jedi academy was entirely comprised of his children because only a Skywalker can use the force and he's actually on the run from all his baby mamas.

Except that he's obviously quite powerful and old, which tells us that he's likely been behind the scenes for quite some time. Additionally, with the amount of power he seems to have he has likely been able to mask his own presence from other force sensitives, which tells us that he's quite strong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Plagueis, they're not going to have the big reveal about the big bad be that he's actually somebody we heard about once in the prequels and that 80% of the viewers aren't going to remember.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Siets posted:

Being the "master of life and death" that Plagueis is/was/is might also explain why Anakin's force ghost had never come back to tell Kylo Ren what a gigantic mistake he was making when turning to the dark side. My theory is that Plagueis/Snoke is able to block communication with the force netherworld and is currently suppressing the ghosts of Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin. This would also conveniently explain why Luke went in search of old jedi ruins for answers to his questions and troubles as opposed to relying on his "old faithful" of crying out to Obi Wan and Yoda when in need of assistance.

I like this theory.

FallenGod posted:

Ok, with the exception of count dooku this never happens. It's always some big name rear end in a top hat who has been around and lingering somewhere. In the past it has always been Sidious. Sidious is dead. I think it's natural people jump to the only other possible lurking figure which came out of the mouth Sidious himself.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Plagueis

I care about Plagueis and I am a somebody. :colbert:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think Finn is a jedi. He's got no problem getting nutty with a laser sword, he had an awakening on Jakku and Bad Solo totally gave him that knowing look right after it happened.

The 'awakening' Ren refers to is prior to his tete e tete with Rey in the torture chamber, where I'm pretty sure she became 'one with the force' or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I personally doubt it's Plagueis but it wouldn't be too hard to introduce him. "He's the mentor to the Emperor, a Sith Lord so evil he came back from the dead". That's about it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frackie Robinson posted:

Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Plagueis

Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Frackie Robinson. :whatup:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I haven't seen this mentioned but did anyone else get a brother/sister vibe from Kylo Ren and Rey? I know the Solo twins are an EU thing but given the ambiguity behind Rey's origins it seems like a real possibility.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Triggs posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but did anyone else get a brother/sister vibe from Kylo Ren and Rey? I know the Solo twins are an EU thing but given the ambiguity behind Rey's origins it seems like a real possibility.

With how open Leia & Han are about Kylo being their son, it doesn't make sense for them to NOT mention Rey.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

jfood posted:

I think Finn is a jedi. He's got no problem getting nutty with a laser sword, he had an awakening on Jakku and Bad Solo totally gave him that knowing look right after it happened.

The 'awakening' Ren refers to is prior to his tete e tete with Rey in the torture chamber, where I'm pretty sure she became 'one with the force' or whatever the gently caress you wanna call it.
"the awakening" was Rey's dream.

Idk, he may have been getting set up as something like that. Depending on how the audience takes him I think he'll either be trumped up or left out. He's a pretty bad character IMO and peaks about a quarter of the way into the film then becomes a less fun Han Solo only he gets owned all the time.

Something that really bothers me about the light saber fight was how stiff everyone was. We went from exuberant complex sequences in 1-3 and back to this pokey stabbey 4-6 fencing style. I liked how heavy they made the light sabers seem but it just seems like the power level is getting deluted.

Why the gently caress wouldn't Kylo just own Finn with a force stasis thing like he did to Rey if Finn actually doesn't have the force though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Something that really bothers me about the light saber fight was how stiff everyone was. We went from exuberant complex sequences in 1-3 and back to this pokey stabbey 4-6 fencing style. I liked how heavy they made the light sabers seem but it just seems like the power level is getting deluted.

It makes sense from a narrative perspective because Kylo is hurt and Rey doesn't have any formal training.

I really did expect Kylo Ren to do that sort of stuff though, it seems exactly the sort of thing a wannabe Sith Lord would try out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Triggs posted:

There was some certainly some sexaul tension, so maybe.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

There was some certainly some sexaul tension, so maybe.

Yea there was a moment in the interrogation scene where they felt each other's force boners and both were pleasantly impressed.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't Kylo just own Finn with a force stasis thing like he did to Rey if Finn actually doesn't have the force though?
Kylo is all ego and that would be too easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This technological terror is no match for the power of a force boner.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Who cares. That was George Lucas' mistake in the prequels. Spitting directly in his eye in favor of emotional, character driven light saber battles is great. Anyone bothered by this can gently caress off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can never look at Adam Driver without thinking of that scene in Girls where he's jerking off and Lena Dunham watches and tells him he's disgusting. It certainly enriched my TFA viewing experience.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo Ren has t been able to dual anyone for years probably

He's rusty.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

I can never look at Adam Driver without thinking of that scene in Girls where he's jerking off and Lena Dunham watches and tells him he's disgusting. It certainly enriched my TFA viewing experience.

I mean the same exact thing basically happened between him and Rey. Only I think she was kinda into it and she knows it. I wouldn't be surprised if when its all said and done we don't see full force penetration.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Not at all convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. I think the lightsaber thing is just force sensitive people (perhaps non-awakened ones) having a reaction to that really historied artifact. The force didn't bring anakin to it - he built it. The force didn't bring luke to it - Obi-wan just gave it to him.

Rey is really skilled with a staff - not unbelievable she'd have trained with a sword or something, or staff + force = decent with a sword. In this light sabers are very very close to real swords, rather than the "if this touches you in any way you have lost the fight" weapons of the previous episodes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

It's almost like the people fighting are not very good at it and also terrified. Kind of reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgsEa2Em3wg&t=4110s

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
What if Rey is a Kenobi, somehow.

e: Plus they could do a Kenobi side story movie and bring Ewan back which would own.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

computer parts posted:

It makes sense from a narrative perspective because Kylo is hurt and Rey doesn't have any formal training.

I really did expect Kylo Ren to do that sort of stuff though, it seems exactly the sort of thing a wannabe Sith Lord would try out.

I liked the way Kylo Ren fought. He did some ~real life~ big sword moves in the forest duel.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Thank god. The flashy lightsaber duels were awful. So happy to see more emotional fencing style.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This movie is objectively poorly written and poorly made, and I think I've checked out on the next two.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

This movie is objectively poorly written and poorly made, and I think I've checked out on the next two.

Okay.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chickenwalker posted:

Your wisdom will be missed.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Chickenwalker posted:

Time to come back days after the first try and see if anyone else bites.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

From most to least likely I think Rey's parentage is going to come down to one of these-

1) Rey's parents are dead, and it's Luke's fault one way or another
2) Rey's parents are alive, and Luke knows where/who they are
3) Luke is Rey's father
4) Rey's parent is someone (not a Skywalker) that we know from the OT, Obi-Wan or Palpatine being the most probable [edit: I guess not her father but grandfather or they froze their sperm or something]
5) Han, Leia, or both are Rey's parents (highly improbable imo)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 20, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Rey is force kin.

Looking forward to seeing Rogue One trailer now, see what they do thematically with that.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Luke could deflect laser shots the second time he turned on a lightsaber. What a joke. Someone must have taught him the force before the movie started.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Most probably scenario is that Finn and Rey are actually siblings and they go down different paths of teh force

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the fight between Rey and Ren was fantastic and incredibly realistic. Ren was fighting with basically a broadsword and he's loving huge and tall. Rey is doing constant lunges because he outreaches her.

People complaining about that fight are crazy people. It's probably one of the better lightsaber duels we've ever seen.

Look up people fighting with actual broadswords.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
In the flashback of Rey being left behind on Jakku, she seemed old enough to know her parents. So I don't think Luke is her father.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

why wouldn't people with little to no training, or incomplete training, NOT be worse at lightsaber fighting than fully trained jedi with millennia of tradition behind them

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I hope Ep. VIII has a training montage featuring Rey and Ren in their respective light / dark side training programs just like the Family Guy ESB spoof with the Rocky theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFJTRfz_B0M

This works on so many levels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
All of the lightsaber battles in the Prequels loving sucked.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Mitchicon posted:

Thank god. The flashy lightsaber duels were awful. So happy to see more emotional fencing style.

I understand the appeal I just think it takes away from "the Jedi" in general. In 1-3 you start to get the idea that not any rear end in a top hat could do this, with all these complex fighting sequences. It sort of reminds the audience that you can't just put on Jedi pants and pick up a lightsaber and start prodding sith because you can't even follow their drat movements. Here we see a storm trooper pick up a lightsaber and stab trained Jedi. It just seemed stupid and contradictory to the whole movie building up how super powerful someone with the force is. I mean Kylo intercepts and freezes a blaster bolt. Here's fuckin Joe Shmoe clumsily trying to use something he has no idea how to use and he actually gets a point on you. Why doesn Kylo know a bunch of sequences and why doesn't he appear to be moving incredibly fast to Finn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

All of the lightsaber battles in the Prequels loving sucked.

Darth Maul was good.

• Locked thread