Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So maybe it's the one sci-fi work that has no magic parts? I wouldn't know.

Still, I think it's a rather good example of 'what hard sci-fi is', Gravity is certainly another good example.

Gravity and The Martian are actually both 'mundane science fiction', stories written using no technology that doesn't already exist. Hard SF involves technology that can be explained wholly or mostly using modern physics, but which doesn't yet exist (for example, a story about an encounter with a mobile black hole that uses its polar jet for thrust and 'thinks' with electromagnetic computations in the accretion disc is outlandish, but would qualify as hard SF because some astrophysicist who wrote it worked out all the physics of how the hole would operate).

All these genre distinctions are stupid though, and arguments about them make me mad! I think hard SF isn't really important as a genre but is a really cool aesthetic, a tool that a story can use to set tone and explore its characters and themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I apologize for book spoilers earlier. I don't really hang in the tv threads as I don't watch much tv, but I totally get how it's a buzzkill. I don't think we need two threads - I think we can self moderate and tag book spoilers.

I'm confused that there's confusion about the layout of the ships. There's no situation where the walls become the floor. There's only floor towards thrust, or microgravity.

I think the main takeaway is that while this isn't canonically 'hard' (especially because they can't cast the entire NBA to play extras in the belt), there's no inertial stabilizers, magic gravity, or warp tunnels.

I guess it's a matter of time before someone does Revelation Space, huh?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Battuta posted:

All these genre distinctions are stupid though, and arguments about them make me mad! I think hard SF isn't really important as a genre but is a really cool aesthetic, a tool that a story can use to set tone and explore its characters and themes.

The esthetic is the distinction. This is the first show to nail hsf esthetics and back it up with as much physics that can fit in the budget. That means something to me. The Forbes article had A physicist make the same observation that I did about the wrench falling away, to correct himself by the end of the article because the ship was in fact under thrust not ballistic.

Earlier in the thread someone pointed out the Coriolis effect of Miller pouring a glass in the crime scene apartment that almost went unnoticed by most of us. Later in the show when he's at the gardens where rich people presumably live he pours water and the effect is much less. This is a common theme that isn't spelled out.

These type of discussions are what interests me.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 19, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in/item/39704-sex-in-zero-gravity-space-on-syfy-s-the-expanse

quote:

"Alien" taught us "in space no one can hear you scream," but "The Expanse" seeks to reclaim primal screams in space in one brief scene where ice hauler second officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait, "Magic City," top of page) gets intimate with a shipmate, as seen in the image above.

So the question is, how did they film that?

"In the sex scene we're on wires," Strait explained during a lunch at the TV critics summer press tour. "When I first read the script, it was the effect I was most concerned about. How the hell is this going to look anywhere near realistic? And if we're gonna be on wires.... it boggled my mind. I thought, it's not gonna look right, but they pulled it off."

Strait, who injured his ribs not long before filming the scene, said he was in a low harness and his co-star was in another harness.

"We were both being pulled up and down, it was hilarious," he said. "We had a choreographer on set whenever we were doing zero gravity stuff to make sure we were doing it the right way. He was in the room and he's Italian and he's like, 'Throw your head back,' and we're like, OK, just let us do it. It was incredibly uncomfortable. It looks super-enjoyable but it was not to great for me."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AirborneNinja posted:

A big issue with tiny spaces like you would expect a spaceship to be is that they're pretty hard to film in.

I was actually looking at all the wide-open spaces on the Donnager (the 'shuttle bay' area, the bridge being a box suspended in the middle of a bigger room?) and thinking they were terribly inefficient uses of space/really bad decompression hazards...

pugnax posted:

The 14-year-old in me wants to see Honor Harrington on TV. It would basically be Master & Commander, but with sidewalls. :black101:

VVV: Harrington done as a TV show/miniseries would do away with half of the missile volley infodump crap right off the bat since they'd just be visuals instead of multiple-page number sperging. And then maybe they could get someone to streamline Weber's dialogue? :ohdear:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 19, 2015

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Only if Honor Harrington orders a pizza like David Weber at some point during the show.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So maybe it's the one sci-fi work that has no magic parts? I wouldn't know.

Still, I think it's a rather good example of 'what hard sci-fi is', Gravity is certainly another good example.

No the ability to create enough Specific Impulse velocity to be able to reach other bodies in the solar system in an amount of time short enough to keep things interesting, with enough thrust to make high acceleration combat manoeuvres, and yet not be throwing off so much energy as to count as a weapon of mass destruction is pretty much close to magical. It's just that virtually every space science fiction TV show need to have engines that can do all that. There's nothing physically impossible about the Epstein drive except that last part, and to be fair I don't think we've seen one turn on close enough to do damage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Woden posted:

No kidding, the ice tankers are hilariously over engineered for their job and probably weigh more than the ice they haul.
At least in the case of the Canterbury, it's a colony ship that got gutted.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

WarLocke posted:

I was actually looking at all the wide-open spaces on the Donnager (the 'shuttle bay' area, the bridge being a box suspended in the middle of a bigger room?) and thinking they were terribly inefficient uses of space/really bad decompression hazards...

Actual real estate should not really be a factor -- you don't need maneuverability, it all comes down to mass. So it might be a misuse of mass. But it's probably negligible on the enormous capital ship, the flagship of that planet, which might need to be really versatile and dock various smaller ships?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Vehementi posted:

Actual real estate should not really be a factor -- you don't need maneuverability, it all comes down to mass. So it might be a misuse of mass. But it's probably negligible on the enormous capital ship, the flagship of that planet, which might need to be really versatile and dock various smaller ships?

I think the problem is that every cubic foot of air is a cubic foot that has to be protected against radiation and enemy fire, and armour imposes a mass penalty. It's not just the hanger a lot of the rooms were bigger than they needed to be. I think you're right in that the Donnager is the flagship and having spacious rooms is basically another way of flaunting Martian superiority, that they can afford to be so spacious and wasteful with their flagship's design.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

pugnax posted:

I'm confused that there's confusion about the layout of the ships. There's no situation where the walls become the floor. There's only floor towards thrust, or microgravity.

The floors don't become the walls, the ceiling become the floors when the ship flips.

Book 2: Prax remarks that everything is sideways when he gets on the Roci

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Professor Shark posted:

The floors don't become the walls, the ceiling become the floors when the ship flips.

Oh weird (haha poo poo I just learned a lesson about replying with quote to a spoiler post) , I don't remember chairs on ceilings etc.? Do they actually have that? If so I want to go rewatch because that would be cool.

edit: wait no that's not true. If the ship just flipped, there is zero gravity because they're not accelerating for a bit there. But then they fire the rocket boosters, and as always the rocket boosters are shooting "down" so gravity is as normal.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh yeah, that makes sense

Edit: Wait, does it?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 19, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When you're moving towards something, your head is pointing towards it. When you slow down, the ship flips and your head is still pointed towards it, but you're walking on the ceiling because th engine is now facing towards whatever you're moving towards...

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Book 2: Prax remarks that everything is sideways when he gets on the Roci

I'm rereading book 2 now so I'll look for that quote, but I've always assumed the ship just does a 180? How else would it decelerate?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It does a 180 and the engine works as the breaks, but if you do a 180 then you are walking on the ceiling as the ship slows... ?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Professor Shark posted:

When you're moving towards something, your head is pointing towards it. When you slow down, the ship flips and your head is still pointed towards it, but you're walking on the ceiling because th engine is now facing towards whatever you're moving towards...

In a car if there is acceleration you want it to be into the seat. When a car speeds up, you get pushed into your seat. So far so good. What if, when the car was going to come to a screeching halt, the car's wheels turned to ice for a second and it did a 180, and then slammed on the brakes? You'd get pushed in the same direction as before with respect to the road, but now you'd be happily being pushed into your seat again. Same thing with the ship.

More technically, you feel the fake gravity force because there is an acceleration. The acceleration is due to a force. What your speed / direction are do not matter. Whenever the ships rockets fire, a force from the floor comes, regardless of anything else (aside from some other ship pushing your ship laterally or something).

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 19, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

But the engine is always going to be 'below' you, so when the ship flips and decelerates, the acceleration still feels like normal gravity even though the thrust is now pushing towards the destination.

I hope that made sense, I think I buggered that explanation. Basically in a ship built like a building thrust is always 'up' so the acceleration is always gravity 'down' because you rotate with the ship.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Servetus posted:

I think the problem is that every cubic foot of air is a cubic foot that has to be protected against radiation and enemy fire, and armour imposes a mass penalty. It's not just the hanger a lot of the rooms were bigger than they needed to be. I think you're right in that the Donnager is the flagship and having spacious rooms is basically another way of flaunting Martian superiority, that they can afford to be so spacious and wasteful with their flagship's design.

Or they just wanted practical sets designs for filming

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

"Gravity" will always be in the direction of thrust. The only places where there's tables and stuff on the ceilings are in old belter bars from before Ceres had spin (I think).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vehementi posted:

In a car if there is acceleration you want it to be into the seat. When a car speeds up, you get pushed into your seat. So far so good. What if, when the car was going to come to a screeching halt, the car's wheels turned to ice for a second and it did a 180, and then slammed on the brakes? You'd get pushed in the same direction as before with respect to the road, but now you'd be happily being pushed into your seat again. Same thing with the ship.

More technically, you feel the fake gravity force because there is an acceleration. The acceleration is due to a force. What your speed / direction are do not matter. Whenever the ships rockets fire, a force from the floor comes, regardless of anything else (aside from some other ship pushing your ship laterally or something).

I just used this post alongside my empty beer bottle and it makes sense to me now

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Professor Shark posted:

No. Floors are floors because they are flipped during decelleration.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 20, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The whole 'constant acceleration' thing works as far as explaining why everyone doesn't have horrendous bone deterioration from long-term zero-g, but god drat the fuel costs. I guess that's why these Epstein drive things got written up, eh?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

WarLocke posted:

The whole 'constant acceleration' thing works as far as explaining why everyone doesn't have horrendous bone deterioration from long-term zero-g, but god drat the fuel costs. I guess that's why these Epstein drive things got written up, eh?

I think the math comes out the same? Either you get inertial dampeners so your dudes aren't pancakes and you accelerate quickly to maximum velocity (what would that even be?) and then later decelerate, or you accelerate slowly to maximum speed halfway through and then decelerate.

edit: oh, fuel mass

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 20, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Professor Shark posted:

It does a 180 and the engine works as the breaks, but if you do a 180 then you are walking on the ceiling as the ship slows... ?

The only time the ceiling would be the floor is on ships that have the engines flip or moved to the otherside of the ship for deceleration. I think Revelation Space series had ships with an ice sheet on one side to protect from interstellar debris at near C so the engines would rotate for deceleration so that the same side with the shield would always be facing the direction of travel.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 20, 2015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Pretty sure everyone is on crazy pharmaceuticals to prevent bone deterioration and other horrid space afflictions.

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
This TV show fills one with the desire to play SPACE STATION 13!

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Servetus posted:

No the ability to create enough Specific Impulse velocity to be able to reach other bodies in the solar system in an amount of time short enough to keep things interesting, with enough thrust to make high acceleration combat manoeuvres, and yet not be throwing off so much energy as to count as a weapon of mass destruction is pretty much close to magical. It's just that virtually every space science fiction TV show need to have engines that can do all that. There's nothing physically impossible about the Epstein drive except that last part, and to be fair I don't think we've seen one turn on close enough to do damage.

Its mentioned in the first episode that the Knight leaves the Canterbury "teakettle" in the books this is explained as using the fusion reactor to boil water and propel themselves with the steam, rather then risk lighting the torch and damaging the Cant. Also Holden tells Alex that if something goes wrong at the Scopuli they'll burn for the Cant and leave slag behind, presumably because the drive melted the Scopuli.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

pugnax posted:

God I hope so. I need for this show to be a success because as much as I enjoy reading The Expanse, there is so much better Scifi novels out there to adapt.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 20, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I just watched the first episode after discovering this thread and I thought it was decent. Didn't really connect yet with the characters but the sets and effects were pretty decent. If they can get a decent story together and the characters get a little depth this could get interesting

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Revelation Space would be amazing, I can't help but think that it would need a huge effects budget though, Game of Thrones level and then some.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As long they skip that religious trek on the ice planet.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zzulu posted:

Well I just watched the first episode after discovering this thread and I thought it was decent. Didn't really connect yet with the characters but the sets and effects were pretty decent. If they can get a decent story together and the characters get a little depth this could get interesting

Get to episode 4

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Combat Pretzel posted:

As long they skip that religious trek on the ice planet.

You tripping. Quaiche and the moving Cathedrals are the poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I felt the exact same way.

E2 was a little slow, but E3 and 4 are the poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gohmak posted:

You tripping. Quaiche and the moving Cathedrals are the poo poo.
Not the poo poo enough to take over that much of the book.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Revelation Space would be amazing, I can't help but think that it would need a huge effects budget though, Game of Thrones level and then some.

I am trying to imagine how the ending of the series would look in a visual medium and I think I'm just confusing myself.

And yeah, the permanently moving religious arcology with the guy suspended at the top and his eyes surgically peeled open eternally stuff would need to be cut down a lot, it was the sloggiest part of the books IMO.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Really liking this show so far. Anyone spot the reference to Alien?
condition zero procedure screen on the donnager is formatted identically to the nostromo self destruct sequence

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Yeah someone posted the comparison screenshot a couple of pages back, cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
drat, I went back like 4 pages and saw nothing. I also really appreciated the morbid attention to detail on the zero-g partial vacuum decapitation

• Locked thread