Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

If you're east coast Australia there are enough SFD aussies + Americans/Euros with weird sleep patterns to do most stuff except maybe raids.

If you're West coast you're stuck in pvp hell with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
There was going to be a GOON-SFD oceanic raid group since there isn't enough in both guilds for a proper group but when the expansion turned out to be poo poo most of those people quit.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdvQGtqbujc

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Beaten.

I do wonder how they got around the placement limit for objects in the same area! I was finding that I couldn't build cloud bridges over the guild garden at spawn, so I thought the placement limit wasn't affected by vertical distance. Looks like I was wrong!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
What is this raid group thing, I thought guild wars was mostly a pvp type game with pve sprinkled in? Bringing me to my next question, I'm bored as poo poo and sad about the state of albion what are the popular pvp types in this game? I tried to watch the twitch tv and saw some solo queue and duo queue (I'm guessing 5s?)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The frequency with which HoT crashes for me is absolutely infuriating. I regularly crash in HoT zones right as the big map meta events end, so I get no rewards.

Just did an hour and a half of Dragon's Stand to crash at the victory cut scene, so I did literally all of the work and get nothing, and I get a "network error" when I try to rejoin. This is so stupid.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Magres posted:

The frequency with which HoT crashes for me is absolutely infuriating. I regularly crash in HoT zones right as the big map meta events end, so I get no rewards.

Just did an hour and a half of Dragon's Stand to crash at the victory cut scene, so I did literally all of the work and get nothing, and I get a "network error" when I try to rejoin. This is so stupid.

use the 64-bit client. the 32-bit one runs out of memory and crashes real easily

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Using the 64bit client? If you are and still crashing try this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-repair

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

use the 64-bit client. the 32-bit one runs out of memory and crashes real easily

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

E: Sweet, I was expecting to have to redownload the whole client, but according to Dulfy I can just download the (30 megabyte) 64 bit client and put it alongside my 32 bit client and it should work cause they can share the same data files. Just put in the 64 bit client and updated my shortcuts to point to it, and away we go, I'm back in game on the new client already! Thank you so much Thunderbro, given the map participation system, bugs that crash your game and force you out of full maps are very aggravating.

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 20, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Magres posted:

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

E: Sweet, I was expecting to have to redownload the whole client, but according to Dulfy I can just download the (30 megabyte) 64 bit client and put it alongside my 32 bit client and it should work cause they can share the same data files. Just put in the 64 bit client and updated my shortcuts to point to it, and away we go, I'm back in game on the new client already! Thank you so much Thunderbro, given the map participation system, bugs that crash your game and force you out of full maps are very aggravating.

Thanks to visidan for the link too because I definitely didn't remember that one. I was also really stoked about that coming out because I play on maxed settings and GW2 sits at about 5-6GB of RAM usage, just a teeny tiny little smidge over the 32-bit 4GB RAM limit!

I honestly don't think I've had any crashes in the new client period. I've been pleasantly surprised how stable it is for a beta.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

What is that on your head? A beret? How do you have a mask as well?

Usenet Magic-User posted:

What is this raid group thing, I thought guild wars was mostly a pvp type game with pve sprinkled in? Bringing me to my next question, I'm bored as poo poo and sad about the state of albion what are the popular pvp types in this game? I tried to watch the twitch tv and saw some solo queue and duo queue (I'm guessing 5s?)

Oh hell no, like in the original guild wars there is a huge amount of pve you can do as well. But yeah, there are two different pvp types in the game, spvp and wvw.

Spvp is what you were watching, and as a fair warning a huge amount of game changing content was revently released and is still in the throws of being balanced. You can que up to 5 people as these are 5 person team matches.

WvW is world versus world, essentially server vs server, where 3 servers, 100 people max per server per map, duke it out to control keeps and camps and poo poo. It was also heavily shaken this patch with brand new maps and other changes and now it's mostly dead. However anet devs have revealed a sneak preview for a wvw update which is a large step in the direction of making it not crap again, so that's pretty cool. Basically they hosed a lot of pvp with the expac, but in traditional anet fashion are fixing things while taking a long rear end time to push the changes through. It's happening, and will keep happening so don't give up hope.

That being said, the PvE is loving chillax and rad in this game. No lovely treadmill of gear. Everyone who participates in battles and poo poo gets their own exp/drops with no loss from other people. Harvesting nodes are instanced so no competing for those. Every part of the pve map is full of content that is not just for leveling purposes. Max levels will get downleveled to do poo poo without being overpowered, and running around doing poo poo or just exploring in any zone is pretty fun. The story exists, and you can ignore that! Getting to max level is easy enough, and each class plays differently enough that having multiple alts is pretty much the norm in the game. End game is looking loving rad, and this game's customization is pretty sweet as far as what you can do.

Actually during holidays there tend to be little pvp minigames in pve land which are really awesome and fun. I don't know if it is back this year, but christmas time holds a sweet snowball pvp event where you have different classes like scouts, bunkers and heavies to capture presents and poo poo like capture the flag. I also might be remembering that completely wrong.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Sprite141 posted:

What is that on your head? A beret? How do you have a mask as well?

That's a fro, dude

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Heeeeey y'all trying this game for the first time this morning, used to play wow a decade ago or so, haven't really played an MMO since. My friend convinced me, he is a bad influence.

We mostly played PVP and likely will in this too, and I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. I usually play a thief or assassin-type character, failing that a warrior with a big fuckoff sword or some sort of healer. Is the thief decent in PVP? If I want to play a healer sort of character, what would y'all suggest I try?

2. Can I be in one of your neat guilds?!?!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
thief is garbage right now, sadly

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Nooooooo that sucks :saddowns: Alright so, my choices are warrior with big fuckoff sword, or something that heals a lot. What should I try?

e: Also if we dont make the same race how hard is it for us to play together early on?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

black.lion posted:

Heeeeey y'all trying this game for the first time this morning, used to play wow a decade ago or so, haven't really played an MMO since. My friend convinced me, he is a bad influence.

We mostly played PVP and likely will in this too, and I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. I usually play a thief or assassin-type character, failing that a warrior with a big fuckoff sword or some sort of healer. Is the thief decent in PVP? If I want to play a healer sort of character, what would y'all suggest I try?

2. Can I be in one of your neat guilds?!?!

You can instantly SPVP at full effectiveness on a fresh character so just play everything. Thief is currently Not Flavor of the Month but who cares. Guardian, Elementalist, and Revenant are bae if you want to touch your friends with green numbers. MetaBattle has some builds random nerds think are good so I like to start there.

black.lion posted:

Nooooooo that sucks :saddowns: Alright so, my choices are warrior with big fuckoff sword, or something that heals a lot. What should I try?

e: Also if we dont make the same race how hard is it for us to play together early on?

guardian: a warrior with big fuckoff sword that heals a lot

and not remotely hard

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Getting from one race's starting zone to another is pretty much as follows:

Finish the starting instance that's kind of a story setup
Turn around and walk into your race's home city, you start just outside it
Find the shiny purple ring there (It's an Asura Gate) that leads to Lion's Arch
In Lion's Arch there's asura gates to every race's home city, pick your poison and head through

Thunderbro posted:

You can instantly SPVP at full effectiveness on a fresh character so just play everything. Thief is currently Not Flavor of the Month but who cares. Guardian, Elementalist, and Revenant are bae if you want to touch your friends with green numbers. MetaBattle has some builds random nerds think are good so I like to start there.

guardian: a warrior with big fuckoff sword that heals a lot

and not remotely hard

I recommend against Thief because it's pretty ineffectual feeling right now :shrug:

I like running around with my Thief but lol at actually fighting people, you have to build full glass cannon to match other people's like Cele builds (because all the popular kids can might stack themselves easily) and that means you have half as much HP as them.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Do these hair style things ever go on sale? Because drat I'd like to splurge a bit for christmas, but not at full price, anet.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok when I said all clasees play differently enough, I didn't mention that the whole tank dps healer thing doesn't exist in this game. Well until recently with a few specs for raids, but the healing kinda sucks outside that for pve. Yes other clasees can apply regeneration and can heal you with. Traits but it isn't a deal breaker.

Every class gets a heal you can pick and choose. As for tanking, every class gets an endurance pool that lets them dodge and gain invincibility frames. This combat is much more action oriented than wow, but it sure as poo poo ain't monster hunter. You can actually dodge poo poo and move out of the way of poo poo as well. You can also pick up items on the field and use them in pve zones, meaning that with cow patties you can attack poo poo with poo poo too.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Magres posted:

I recommend against Thief because it's pretty ineffectual feeling right now :shrug:

I like running around with my Thief but lol at actually fighting people, you have to build full glass cannon to match other people's like Cele builds (because all the popular kids can might stack themselves easily) and that means you have half as much HP as them.

yeah but this isn't wow where you have to dedicate 100 hours to be arena viable. if you feel like playing a thief is a subpar arena experience then you're free to swap to anything you want even during the countdown. in literally every other aspect of the game, having fun and cool looking beats all.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Magres posted:

Getting from one race's starting zone to another is pretty much as follows:

Finish the starting instance that's kind of a story setup
Turn around and walk into your race's home city, you start just outside it
Find the shiny purple ring there (It's an Asura Gate) that leads to Lion's Arch
In Lion's Arch there's asura gates to every race's home city, pick your poison and head through
It's actually even easier than that now, all accounts get the first waypoint in each starter zone unlocked at creation so you can just go straight there after the tutorial.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been helping a friend do F2P and holy poo poo the early game from level 1-10 is boring now. He's too overwhelmed to WP from one starter zone to another but can't explore the city in the starter zone he does have. He can't do Personal Story and he doesn't have the funds to start up crafting even with the 2 gold I gave him. I can't imagine how many people get turned off the game now. The "anti-grind" MMO became a total grind for hearts with help so we could get him to level 10 and onto other things.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have HOT and found it was the exact opposite, didn't need a gold injection to start crafting, just gathered stuff as I came across them (also gaining xp) and joined in all the group stuff and hit 10 in a few hours. Did personal story and went up a few more. Might I respectfully suggest that if your friend is too overwhelmed by WPs then it might not be the game that's the problem.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mind the walrus posted:

He's too overwhelmed to WP from one starter zone to another but can't explore the city in the starter zone he does have.

?

Overwhelmed? I just leveled from one zone to the next, they're organically placed next to each other anyway.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I've been helping a friend do F2P and holy poo poo the early game from level 1-10 is boring now. He's too overwhelmed to WP from one starter zone to another but can't explore the city in the starter zone he does have. He can't do Personal Story and he doesn't have the funds to start up crafting even with the 2 gold I gave him. I can't imagine how many people get turned off the game now. The "anti-grind" MMO became a total grind for hearts with help so we could get him to level 10 and onto other things.

what are you doing to this poor person?? there's not even a real reason to leave the newb zones before level 10 and it takes like an hour. your friend doesn't even know how his buttons work so point him in the direction of hearts and events.

mike12345 posted:

?

Overwhelmed? I just leveled from one zone to the next, they're organically placed next to each other anyway.

it's really easy to make gw2 overwhelming. my friend who showed me the game thought the best way to do it was to show me CoF P3 and then dump me into an arena match on a warrior.

it was very not fun.

here's some good tips for helping your new bud have fun:
- "here have these bags"
- "vendor gear is cheap and actually usable"
- "ignore crafting, at level 70 go to gw2crafts.net"
- teleport to your bud and kill things w/ them

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 20, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I could understand how confusing it would be if you have never played a mmo before though. You do get a load of information all at once on your hero screen and they just assume you know what stats and the blurb on the skills mean. Wow is a lot easier for that but so far as the game play for newbies goes the time sink having to run everywhere is crippling. Right now all I'm doing is stood in one stop waiting for a spider to spawn and group killing it and I went up two levels in an hour, in wow I would have had to kill about 200 wolves/murlocks/skellingtons and spend 2 hours running about like an idiot.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBIVafwWP4

Shut up and watch this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thunderbro posted:

yeah but this isn't wow where you have to dedicate 100 hours to be arena viable. if you feel like playing a thief is a subpar arena experience then you're free to swap to anything you want even during the countdown. in literally every other aspect of the game, having fun and cool looking beats all.

I think it's fair to tell a new player primarily interested in PvP that thief isn't a good choice right now. I mean, let's be frank, thief is so universally disdained at the moment that within the next couple balance patches it's going to get buffed into the stratosphere. Trying PvP for the first time as a new player as, say, a dragonhunter, vs a daredevil, is going to make a HUGE difference on his first impressions of pvp combat/balance.

re: guilds: information is in the OP and GOON and SFD would both be happy to have you :)

https://www.goonwars2.com
https://www.starfleetdental.com

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

It's pretty cool but it's about 10g and needs to be placed in a camp, no thank you. If anyone wants to try it out it's on maguuma bl SFD claimed camp unless it's been captured.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I mean, let's be frank, thief is so universally disdained at the moment that within the next couple balance patches it's going to get buffed into the stratosphere.

The 10% buff to Withdraw is going to change this whole meta, just you watch.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Do these hair style things ever go on sale? Because drat I'd like to splurge a bit for christmas, but not at full price, anet.

They definitely have been on sale before. The new hairstyles aren't time limited either, so you can get the ones that just came out a few months from now.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Make sure you dentists have been collecting the crystals from the guild hall ore node everyday, you'll be able to buy the new skins tomorrow from the trader.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Don't expect hair kits or similar items to go on sale with any regularity. Most sales are new items or temporarily returning items; discount sales are much rarer. I think it's been over a year since additional character slots went on sale, for example.

Me, I bought the infinite use hair stylist contract from Mercury_Storm instead of waiting and waiting on that. I wish it was a luxury more people could afford.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think it's fair to tell a new player primarily interested in PvP that thief isn't a good choice right now. I mean, let's be frank, thief is so universally disdained at the moment that within the next couple balance patches it's going to get buffed into the stratosphere. Trying PvP for the first time as a new player as, say, a dragonhunter, vs a daredevil, is going to make a HUGE difference on his first impressions of pvp combat/balance.

re: guilds: information is in the OP and GOON and SFD would both be happy to have you :)

https://www.goonwars2.com
https://www.starfleetdental.com

As a fairly new player myself (only 1 80 and only been playing about 6 months) who plays a lot of PVP, this is a good point. You should play something that will be a bit more durable and allow you to learn the flow of and style of GW2 PVP (i've been favorite Scrapper lately).

And the biggest thing is, do whatever you feel like doing. If you feel like PVP, play PVP, if you feel like exploring, explore.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Visidan posted:

Make sure you dentists have been collecting the crystals from the guild hall ore node everyday, you'll be able to buy the new skins tomorrow from the trader.

Incidentally if you're in both GOON and SFD you can gather from both halls and get either's crystals, so you won't be locked out of both weapons sets by more than simple time and RNG.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

AmericanGeeksta posted:

As a fairly new player myself (only 1 80 and only been playing about 6 months) who plays a lot of PVP, this is a good point. You should play something that will be a bit more durable and allow you to learn the flow of and style of GW2 PVP (i've been favorite Scrapper lately).

And the biggest thing is, do whatever you feel like doing. If you feel like PVP, play PVP, if you feel like exploring, explore.

The real trick to playing Thief is to just play Shiro Revenant instead!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Visidan posted:

Speaking of these crystals I got one the other day and just shook my head when I realised you couldn't deposit it in the bank storage tab so it's just sitting there eating space in my inventory. Glad the storage tab/wallet seems to exist solely so anet can forget about it whenever they add a new crafting material/currency.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
"Guys, we've revamped the wallet system so that we don't have a bunch of currencies taking up space in your stash!"

*introduces tons of mats/currencies that can't be stored*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Late to the party but ranger is also good for big gently caress off sword and healing goodness.

• Locked thread