Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

Why is starwars filled with so many robots that understand English but can only make beeping noises?

We literally have this now with BIOS POST codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Why is starwars filled with so many robots that understand English but can only make beeping noises?

From what I've read they were originally going to have BB-8 speak English but after recording some lines thought it sounded too weird and switched to the beeps.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jedit posted:

We literally have this now with BIOS POST codes.

I never thought about it that way. You are correct. Many machines chirp, flash, beep to let you know what's up with them. 3 long 2 short, 3 long, continuous long beeps, 2 short - pause - 3 long. I used to know them all but everything works so well now that I don't have to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Poldarn posted:

More Star Wars:

I dunno about Rey and Finn being completely untrained in melee weapons. Stormtroopers has some training (electro tonfa guy) and Rey beats up two dudes with her staff near the beginning.

And none of them fight with a ton of finesse. Even after Rey calms herself and centers on the Force, she's juts a bit better.

My IIMM is that there are three shots in the movie that annoyed me.
1) Rey and Kylo interrogation scene. Rey is pushing back with the Force to shield her mind and probe into Kylo's. The annoying thing is that the camera shifts back and forth between their faces without much change even though this is supposed to be a mind battle. It's just drawn out without much for the audience to read.
2) Those two dueling and their sabers clash. Rey centers herself and it's supposed to be a big deal but again, the camera lingers and the swaps back and forth between the two a ton before time slows and she closes her eyes.
3) The very end where Rey is holding out Luke's lightsaber. Again, the shot just goes back and forth without any change over and over again and then we get a sweeping helicopter shot of the same scene.
Plus, if you are handing someone a lightsaber, you don't point the "sharp" end at them. It's rude.

mostlygray posted:

I never thought about it that way. You are correct. Many machines chirp, flash, beep to let you know what's up with them. 3 long 2 short, 3 long, continuous long beeps, 2 short - pause - 3 long. I used to know them all but everything works so well now that I don't have to.

And it's not like Morse code is something new.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Inzombiac posted:

And it's not like Morse code is something new.

But it's also something that has gone away. I'd be pretty disappointed if my cutting-edge droid required me to learn a language to understand it for the want of a $2 voice chip.

muscles like this? posted:

From what I've read they were originally going to have BB-8 speak English but after recording some lines thought it sounded too weird and switched to the beeps.

But this seems perfectly reasonable, which is why it isn't my IMM.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I get why it's like that for movie reasons, but usually everything in star wars is really over explained. so there's probably a reason every Droid understands English but can't speak it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I get why it's like that for movie reasons, but usually everything in star wars is really over explained. so there's probably a reason every Droid understands English but can't speak it.

Basically none of that material is canonical any more, since Disney bought the franchise, which is mostly to the benefit of the franchise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

My IIMM is that Mace Windu never met C-3PO. "Bocce, motherfucker! Do you speak it?"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Watching Home Alone, near the start of the film after the cabs arrive they show everyone in the house rushing around, then cut to one of the drivers talking to some dumb neighbourhood kid, then they cut back to the family rushing around and use the same clip they already used. Shameful.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Squalitude posted:

Watching Home Alone, near the start of the film after the cabs arrive they show everyone in the house rushing around, then cut to one of the drivers talking to some dumb neighbourhood kid, then they cut back to the family rushing around and use the same clip they already used. Shameful.

I think it was Anaconda where they had to show the boat leaving an area so they just reversed the footage. Noticeable due to the waterfall in the shot shooting up from the bottom.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think the reason given in the now non-canonical sources is that people don't like the idea of droids being too 'human', so they deliberately make them clunky, speak in beeps, etc...

More Star Wars chat:
Who was the old man talking to Poe at the start of the film that gave him the map?
I don't think his name was ever said and I didn't recognize his face... I've read speculation he may be Wedge, hence why he might have info on Luke?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think the reason given in the now non-canonical sources is that people don't like the idea of droids being too 'human', so they deliberately make them clunky, speak in beeps, etc...

More Star Wars chat:
Who was the old man talking to Poe at the start of the film that gave him the map?
I don't think his name was ever said and I didn't recognize his face... I've read speculation he may be Wedge, hence why he might have info on Luke?

His name is Lor San Tekka and that's all there is to know so far in the movie. There's a book, Before the Awakening where he is mentioned apparently, and the book was just published by Disney so I guess it's canon. He's basically just a village elder who is a follower of the force / jedi but not a force user.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mostlygray posted:

1-3-2 from a Dell is a ram error.

We know it well in my office.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Although I get the similarities with BIOS tones, I think R2-D2 gets full conversations going, not just alert tones.
Also, I just realized SwiftKey, my android keyboard app, suggests R2-D2 as a word. I don't think I ever typed it before.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Non Serviam posted:

Although I get the similarities with BIOS tones, I think R2-D2 gets full conversations going, not just alert tones.
Also, I just realized SwiftKey, my android keyboard app, suggests R2-D2 as a word. I don't think I ever typed it before.

If you haven't changed the defaults, it grabs trending words and subjects. Ep. VII might be to blame.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

You just need a wide enough range of alert tones. "The emperor's chief enforcer personally is directly on our tail" may seem like it's too far-fetched to include in a repair drone's alerts table, but R2's programmers liked to cover for every eventuality.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

R2-D2 is a super advanced droid for repairing and navigating stars hips i assume it can be more complex. Also Droids are a stand in for minorities of course our cool freedom fighter heroes can understand them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the explanation used to be (because Disney wiped it out) that R2 droids are supposed to be wiped frequently so they don't develop personalities.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just remembered in ESB and maybe in RotJ R2 totally talks with Luke while they are on their way to Dagobah. He outputs his speech to the display in the X-Wing and him and Luke have like a full on conversation. Droid-language must be a thing.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Amoeba102 posted:

His name is Lor San Tekka and that's all there is to know so far in the movie. There's a book, Before the Awakening where he is mentioned apparently, and the book was just published by Disney so I guess it's canon. He's basically just a village elder who is a follower of the force / jedi but not a force user.

He's going to have a bigger part to play in Rogue One, the stand-alone movie about the guys who stole the original Death Star plans.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rurea posted:

More importantly, how do humans understand the robot beeping language?

How did humans understand morse code? It wouldn't be too hard to memorize a new language.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Played the Netflix roulette and lost, so the kids picked out the Fox film Anastasia to watch. Not the worst Bluth film ever (the penguin one or the one about central park trolls wins that) but the main question rose about how the girl stayed lost for a loving decade. Yes, her family minus Grandma were dead, but Grandma clearly was loaded and she knew where she lost the girl, at precisely what train station. So why not pay some dudes to secretly scope out all schools and orphanages in that area in hopes of finding the girl? Even if she didn't have her memories, she had that red hair which was pretty obvious.

Trying to explain to a 10 year old how the movie only got, at best, some names right, was the best I could do.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

How did humans understand morse code? It wouldn't be too hard to memorize a new language.

I ain't gonna press 1 for Bleep Bloop this is Naboo we speak English.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Played the Netflix roulette and lost, so the kids picked out the Fox film Anastasia to watch. Not the worst Bluth film ever (the penguin one or the one about central park trolls wins that) but the main question rose about how the girl stayed lost for a loving decade. Yes, her family minus Grandma were dead, but Grandma clearly was loaded and she knew where she lost the girl, at precisely what train station. So why not pay some dudes to secretly scope out all schools and orphanages in that area in hopes of finding the girl? Even if she didn't have her memories, she had that red hair which was pretty obvious.

Trying to explain to a 10 year old how the movie only got, at best, some names right, was the best I could do.

I loved that movie when I was a kid, so I'll try and come up with some kind of excuse. Since that was the initial outset of the revolution, I imagine if the Bolsheviks caught wise to Grandma sniffing around for a surviving Romanov, it would turn into redheaded orphan hunting season. Marie may have just figured it would be safer for everyone to assume that all the Romanovs were dead than risk exposing Anastasia, if she had survived and was in hiding somewhere.

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Dec 22, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Why didn't they kill the grandmother as well?

Was granny spry?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

He's going to have a bigger part to play in Rogue One, the stand-alone movie about the guys who stole the original Death Star plans.

Oh good. It seems like he needs a proper movie back story.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My Star Wars IIMM is that everyone is totally racist assholes towards droids and its completely accepted.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They're obviously sentient, which makes it universally accepted slavery, murder, etc.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

They're obviously sentient, which makes it universally accepted slavery, murder, etc.

And foot torture for some reason. :ohdear:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They're all inexplicably programmed to feel pain. What kind of sick galaxy is that?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I also liked this movie as a kid, and I'd always thought the grandma assumed she died-- she fell off the train and hit her head and didn't get back up. I don't remember if it was actually said, though.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I also liked this movie as a kid, and I'd always thought the grandma assumed she died-- she fell off the train and hit her head and didn't get back up. I don't remember if it was actually said, though.

I don't think that was the case - the plot hinges on the grandma trying to track her down.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I ain't gonna press 1 for Bleep Bloop this is Naboo we speak English Basic.

Fixed. :colbert:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

rydiafan posted:

They're all inexplicably programmed to feel pain. What kind of sick galaxy is that?

You are terrible at slavery - the whole point is that you can make them suffer.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Anosmoman posted:

You are terrible at slavery - the whole point is that you can make them suffer.

Except they dont need to, they just slap those little dealies on droids that make them completely subservient.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoB posted:

My Star Wars IIMM is that everyone is totally racist assholes towards droids and its completely accepted.

Yeah this has always bothered me. Its like they create robot slaves just to get around the problem with enslaving sentient beings, only to then give the robots sentience and decide that's a-ok because, uh... they're robots?

poo poo's pretty hosed up. At least BB-8 got some proper respect in the new film.

My IMM with star wars is actually nothing in star wars itself; its the marketing. The marketing actually did a much better job of not spoiling the plot for this film than most movies, which I really appreciate. And I guess there's no way around it for something like star wars, but seeing BB-8 and Kyro Ren and Poe Dameron and all these characters as toys before the movie was even out or the characters properly introduced was really bizzare.

"Buy your own BB-8! Buy a poe dameron action figure!" Who are these people? Why should I care?

Before I saw the film I thought BB-8 was pretty dumb and had no idea why you'd want to buy one.

Now that I've seen the film I think BB-8 is awesome and I would actually kinda want one, but the way they like pre-marketed the toys was odd. It would have worked much better IMO to wait until just after the film's release to start with the toys, once we know who the toys loving are. But I guess then it'd be harder for parents to buy Christmas presents, which is the whole point of star wars toys.

Its just so different from the old days when the toys didn't come out for months after the films. Coming out at the same time makes sense, but pre-dating the films by months is just awkward.

I would spoiler tag this post but I don't think I said anything that actually counts as a spoiler.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Dec 22, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just so different from the old days when the toys didn't come out for months after the films. Coming out at the same time makes sense, but pre-dating the films by months is just awkward.

I would spoiler tag this post but I don't think I said anything that actually counts as a spoiler.

That's the way it has been with Star Wars toys for at least a decade.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

That's the way it has been with Star Wars toys for at least a decade.

I guess so. I sure don't remember advertisements for Darth Maul action figures before seeing Episode I or anything like that, but I was also a teenager and maybe I just missed the ads, I dunno.

Were there spoiler toys for Jar-Jar and podracing and poo poo before the movie even came out?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess so. I sure don't remember advertisements for Darth Maul action figures before seeing Episode I or anything like that, but I was also a teenager and maybe I just missed the ads, I dunno.

Were there spoiler toys for Jar-Jar and podracing and poo poo before the movie even came out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

This was all done without seeing the movie and just based off the merchandise released/internet spoilers.

The soundtrack that was also released before the movie spoiled things.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this has always bothered me. Its like they create robot slaves just to get around the problem with enslaving sentient beings, only to then give the robots sentience and decide that's a-ok because, uh... they're robots?

poo poo's pretty hosed up. At least BB-8 got some proper respect in the new film.

My IMM with star wars is actually nothing in star wars itself; its the marketing. The marketing actually did a much better job of not spoiling the plot for this film than most movies, which I really appreciate. And I guess there's no way around it for something like star wars, but seeing BB-8 and Kyro Ren and Poe Dameron and all these characters as toys before the movie was even out or the characters properly introduced was really bizzare.

"Buy your own BB-8! Buy a poe dameron action figure!" Who are these people? Why should I care?

Before I saw the film I thought BB-8 was pretty dumb and had no idea why you'd want to buy one.

Now that I've seen the film I think BB-8 is awesome and I would actually kinda want one, but the way they like pre-marketed the toys was odd. It would have worked much better IMO to wait until just after the film's release to start with the toys, once we know who the toys loving are. But I guess then it'd be harder for parents to buy Christmas presents, which is the whole point of star wars toys.

I don't think the merchandising not spoiling anything was just luck.

There's a toy of one character in an outfit from later in the movie that leaked before its street date and Disney was actually having Twitter, Instagram etc. take pictures of it down.