Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah Shanks intentionally sacrificed his arm to make an impact on Luffy and to decisively steer him in the direction of becoming a great pirate in the future.

Shanks probably has the Xanatos Gambit done pat as a former apprentice of Roger's. Dollars to donuts Roger himself carefully schemed so everything would work according to plan after making a decisive impact on the world with his execution One Piece speech.

In other words, Shanks:Luffy::Roger:the world at large in terms of sacrifice (arm vs life) and impact. A big theme of early One Piece was about being willing to put your life on the line for your goals.

One Piece is actually a Den Den video recording that starts out "Hello, Strawhat. I'm glad that you've finally arrived."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The first One Piece I designed was quite naturally perfect. It was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is as apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One Piece is a Metal Gear.

Kept you waiting, huh?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

To be honest, it's never really specified when Shanks became an Emperor, so that could very well be the case.

Still, he was famous for his battles with Mihawk even before meeting Luffy, during the age of Roger.

Though back then his name would have been overshadowed by that of his captain's.

Shanks was like 10 during the age of Roger

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shanks was like 10 during the age of Roger

And was a big enough badass that Whitebeard remembered him on Roger's crew.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Sure as hell didn't reassembled all the marines he butchered. One guys just a head on a foot now

for life

Yeah, but does he poop?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

And was a big enough badass that Whitebeard remembered him on Roger's crew.

Didn't whitebeard remember Buggy? lmao

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why wouldn't he, Buggy's always been a success. I mean look at him now, he's a warlord.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Still waiting for Buggy and Ceasar to fight for the clown title.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah Shanks intentionally sacrificed his arm to make an impact on Luffy and to decisively steer him in the direction of becoming a great pirate in the future.

Shanks probably has the Xanatos Gambit down pat as a former apprentice of Roger's. Dollars to donuts Roger himself carefully schemed so everything would work according to plan after making a decisive impact on the world with his execution One Piece speech.

In other words, Shanks:Luffy::Roger:the world at large in terms of sacrifice (arm vs life) and impact. A big theme of early One Piece was about being willing to put your life on the line for your goals.

Well that's because we just find out that Shanks was found the Gomu Gomu fruit after Roger's death, but Luffy ate it, and Shank's never did.. Shanks could no longer inherent Roger's Will, so he had to pass the hat onto Luffy. At least according to Film Gold, and if you think it is canon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's going to be lame if Film Gold is just about a villain with the Gold-Gold logia fruit. The pic of Luffy makes it look like a Kintaro myth spoof.

I really, really want it to be about Gol D. Roger, though! :pray:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Space-Bird posted:

Well that's because we just find out that Shanks was found the Gomu Gomu fruit after Roger's death, but Luffy ate it, and Shank's never did.. Shanks could no longer inherent Roger's Will, so he had to pass the hat onto Luffy. At least according to Film Gold, and if you think it is canon.

Please tell me this isn't true. It already faintly annoys me that Roger gave the hat to Shanks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tsob posted:

Please tell me this isn't true. It already faintly annoys me that Roger gave the hat to Shanks.

Roger gave strawhats to everyone. He couldn't get rid of the drat things.

You see he ate the Mugi Mugi no mi and became a strawman.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
basilhawkins.jpg

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's going to be lame if Film Gold is just about a villain with the Gold-Gold logia fruit. The pic of Luffy makes it look like a Kintaro myth spoof.

I really, really want it to be about Gol D. Roger, though! :pray:

Oh duh. Kintaro. Gold. Ahahaha. But yeah, in reality it'll probably have a lot more to do with the build up to Wano, and the whole kabuki one piece thing. It's a little weird because Oda already used a Kintaro analogue but I guess Sentomaru was sort of forgotten. We might see him with Vegapunk and Smoker though if we ever get back to that plot point.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Movie will be about Sentomaru's father who fought Gold Rodger and handpicked teenage Kizaru, Akoji, and Akineru to join as Marine Admirals. The Strawhats will have to face Sentomaru on the island where Gold Rodger killed Sentomaru's dad.

Robin will get an even worse costume

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
according to the one dude who translates OP he said next year we're gonna find out about the alive status on sanji's bounty and is gonna be, and i quote, 'year of the sanji'

thats all to report from japanese twitter

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

according to the one dude who translates OP he said next year we're gonna find out about the alive status on sanji's bounty and is gonna be, and i quote, 'year of the sanji'

thats all to report from japanese twitter

I'm actually real hyped for this if it's going to be the character Sanji and not new world character "Swirly Pervert"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh Sanji was kinda going that way ever since Arlong Park, it's just that him being gone for 2 IRL years and it being slightly worse than normal when he came back bleeding waterfalls of nose blood when everyone else was doing cool poo poo like Red Hawk and Radical Franky Beam made it stand out.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh Sanji was kinda going that way ever since Arlong Park, it's just that him being gone for 2 IRL years and it being slightly worse than normal when he came back bleeding waterfalls of nose blood when everyone else was doing cool poo poo like Red Hawk and Radical Franky Beam made it stand out.

The entire boat crew has been pretty bad and one-dimensional since the timeskip. Nami and Brook are still in the suck zone and Usopp was lame too until his crowning moment in Dressrosa. If things work out like with Usopp it'll own, it just feels like Oda forgot how to write the crew over the timeskip and needed to sort that out.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Now that we're complaining about characters being :qq:RUINED:qq:, I reached Alabasta on a reread and I'm once again reminded of how much I miss early Chopper. In the Mr 4/Miss Merrychristmas fight he actually remains relatively cool and competent in comparison to Usopp, which makes them entertaining to watch as a team, whereas I feel like current Chopper would be running around in a panic alongside Usopp. The last genuinely awesome Chopper moment I remember is the fight against Kumadori (which is one of my favorites), after that he's been mostly relegated to scared reaction shots and some token doctory stuff. After Oda removed both his weakness-scoping ability and the rumble ball limitation, I'm sceptical about him getting any proper fights of his own. He's just chilling in the "occasional support role" zone with Robin, Nami and Brook.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Zoro has changed for the worse too, although in his case it's clearly deliberate character development. He used to have a somewhat cruel sense of humor, but after spending a couple years with Mihawk he's adopted Mihawk's :geno: attitude.

Luffy and Franky have gotten better since the time skip, at least.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I really hope Oda lets Chopper be good again in this arc.

And Robin having a good fight.

I'm not banking on Nami getting to do anything. :(

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I have faith that Zoro will be cool in the eventual Wano arc. He and Brook had some great little moments with Kin'emon on Punk Hazard.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I bet you anything that Ryuuma (the zombie swordsman Zoro fought on Thriller Bark) will come up again on Wano.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I bet you anything that Ryuuma (the zombie swordsman Zoro fought on Thriller Bark) will come up again on Wano.

Didn't the samurais react to his sword too?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RatHat posted:

Didn't the samurais react to his sword too?

Yes. According to Kinemon, Zoro is carrying around a "Treasure of Wano" (ie-Ryuuma's sword)

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Interestingly enough, I believe Kinemon accused Zoro of being responsible for the grave robbing of Ryuuma, which implies his sword and body were taken at the same time, but by who? Would Moria really have ventured that far to find a swordsman zombie?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

Interestingly enough, I believe Kinemon accused Zoro of being responsible for the grave robbing of Ryuuma, which implies his sword and body were taken at the same time, but by who? Would Moria really have ventured that far to find a swordsman zombie?

Well, Kaidou would've been a New World pirate in order to have been crushed by Kaidou originally, so... who knows? :shrug:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Doctor Hogback took it, it's shown in the anime and I'm kind of sure in the manga. During the flashbacks Hogback has a topknot hairstyle showing he's in Wano

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Doctor Hogback took it, it's shown in the anime and I'm kind of sure in the manga. During the flashbacks Hogback has a topknot hairstyle showing he's in Wano

back from japanese twitter, can confirm this was in the manga and explained by sanji leading into the first mention of wano

thats all

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I miss Sanji as Mr. Exposition.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I miss Sanji as Mr. Exposition.

Which one? There's been two of them so far

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-12-22/eiichiro-oda-sanji-will-return-in-2016/.96832 We're getting Sanji's origin story.

Taking bets on World Noble now.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Put me down for $50 on "closely related to one of the old dudes who run the government".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Year of Sanji

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2016 is actually Year of the Monkey (D. Luffy)

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They want to keep Sanji alive to replace his eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
he decided to shave them after years of being referred to as Swirlysei