Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I understand the appeal I just think it takes away from "the Jedi" in general. In 1-3 you start to get the idea that not any rear end in a top hat could do this, with all these complex fighting sequences. It sort of reminds the audience that you can't just put on Jedi pants and pick up a lightsaber and start prodding sith because you can't even follow their drat movements. Here we see a storm trooper pick up a lightsaber and stab trained Jedi. It just seemed stupid and contradictory to the whole movie building up how super powerful someone with the force is. I mean Kylo intercepts and freezes a blaster bolt. Here's fuckin Joe Shmoe clumsily trying to use something he has no idea how to use and he actually gets a point on you. Why doesn Kylo know a bunch of sequences and why doesn't he appear to be moving incredibly fast to Finn?

I thought it was obvious that Kylo was loving with Finn until he got injured and then owned Finn's rear end. With Rey he was toying with her and also injured. Furthermore, he wanted to bring her to the Dark Side. When he tries to turn her she calms herself and he has a break in confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Because he got shot in the stomache with a bowcaster which is shown through out the film to basically be a laser grenade.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Homework Explainer posted:

why wouldn't people with little to no training, or incomplete training, NOT be worse at lightsaber fighting than fully trained jedi with millennia of tradition behind them

Lucas even mentions this in some special edition extra. In the OT, it was an old man and a half-robot fighting, or a kid trained by an old man. In the prequels, though, it was the peak of the Jedi, and they had developed and trained constantly.

So in the NT (or whatever we're calling this), you have an injured not-Sith and people who never picked up a sword in their life.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

If anyone thinks saber battles were good in the PT, just remember Yoda fighting.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I liked the movie and thought it was well done. Definitely felt the magic of Star Wars during different moments. I was keeping an eye out for things that were fan service that would upset me, but the closest I got that it annoyed me was Rey's "cave scene" when she touched Luke's lightsaber. Even that wasn't too jarring at all in hindsight.

As far as she and Finn being able to hold their ground against Kylo Ren? Finn was just being toyed with as he bashed away. Once he scored a modest hit Kylo turned it on and dispatched him handily. I felt that Rey's ability was already much more than Finn evidenced by her aptitude at using her staff as a function of survival. She seems confident and it signals to me that she is probably versed in other weapons, despite her preference for a staff/bo. Add to this her learning to use the force and it enhances everything else. To me it makes sense / doesn't ruin my suspension of disbelief.

I guess I liken it to playing music. I'm pretty solid at guitar. If you gave me another instrument, I wouldn't be amazing by any stretch, but light-years ahead of a non-musician. I'd be able to fake my way and struggle through a piece given my base abilities.

As far as whose lineage Rey belongs to? I have no loving clue but have a preference for being a wild force user. I think it would be fun to move away from this whole royal blood situation we may find ourselves in. gently caress midichlorians. I want to be a Jedi regardless of my blood type.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought this was the best they've put out the fact that the lightsabers actually cast light was a huge improvement over the previous films. Now that you see it you can't unsee it. It looks weird.

Like the best fights previously look really weird now because the lightsabers don't cast light. It's such a small thing but it really makes a huge difference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hollismason posted:

I thought this was the best they've put out the fact that the lightsabers actually cast light was a huge improvement over the previous films. Now that you see it you can't unsee it. It looks weird.

Like the best fights previously look really weird now because the lightsabers don't cast light. It's such a small thing but it really makes a huge difference.

That shot in one of the trailers where Kylo's blade is right in front of Rey's face and you can see a heat signature coming off of it is really cool too.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hollismason posted:

Because he got shot in the stomache with a bowcaster which is shown through out the film to basically be a laser grenade.
Yeah, I think people are forgetting that EVERYONE Chewie/Han shot with the Bowcaster was sent flying, and Ren got shot with it. He's definitely hurt bad when he fights Finn and Rey. I liked how Rey turned the fight around when she resists his temptation to join him and calms herself. Rey is gonna be cool to watch get stronger.

I kinda felt a lot of the backstory was pretty barren, but they'll probably flesh that out with non-movie stuff in the future. There's only so much you can address in the movies, after all. I want to see more Po, thats for sure, he's badass.

Also, I'm hoping Kylo Ren doesn't get turned into a 100% bad guy. Its clear he's still not completely turned, with that look he gave Han after he killed him, but he's definitely pretty far down the path. I don't want to see him become just another Darth Vader.

I hope Rey isn't Luke's daughter, but all the signs seem to point towards it, most notably getting that force-vision when she touched Anakin/Luke's Lightsaber. Also, I hope Finn has SOME force-sensitivity, because it'd make him a lot more interesting and perhaps round out his character more, and it'd give more meaning to that moment where Ren stops to look at Finn at the beginning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

Darth Maul was good.

I liked the music during this fight! But all of the fights were choreographed, no emotion in any of the fights and nothing was ever at stake. They all felt like video game sequences, so none of them were entertaining or exciting to watch.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mitchicon posted:

If anyone thinks saber battles were good in the PT, just remember Yoda fighting.

Yoda fighting was sweet as hell actually.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yes the fights were really great in the prequel trilogy.

just amazing

http://i.imgur.com/YgzL32w.gif

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

just amazing

Needs proper background music while GIFing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAJopwEYv8

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mitchicon posted:

Yes, the awesome scenes where Yoda whips out a lightsaber and goes to town on whatever. An outstanding litmus test, as those scenes are Fun and anyone who doesn't like it simply hate fun.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Hazdoc posted:

Also, I'm hoping Kylo Ren doesn't get turned into a 100% bad guy. Its clear he's still not completely turned, with that look he gave Han after he killed him, but he's definitely pretty far down the path. I don't want to see him become just another Darth Vader.

I hope Rey isn't Luke's daughter, but all the signs seem to point towards it, most notably getting that force-vision when she touched Anakin/Luke's Lightsaber. Also, I hope Finn has SOME force-sensitivity, because it'd make him a lot more interesting and perhaps round out his character more, and it'd give more meaning to that moment where Ren stops to look at Finn at the beginning.

I think Kylo is the psuedo vader. Vader did everything out of love induced hatred. He was always taking revenge for someone or trying in some hosed up way to save someone. Kylo is out to kill his family as far as I can tell since that's the best way for him to become stronger in the darkside. Where vader was kind of just accepting and indulging in this power because he felt he needed it, he flat out tells obi wan that the he thinks the jedi are evil. Kylo knows what hes doing is p hosed up and hes cool with it.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

just amazing

Oh god, I don't even remember this. What part of the film was this?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

But all of the fights were choreographed

In a movie? You don't say.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

19 o'clock posted:

As far as she and Finn being able to hold their ground against Kylo Ren? Finn was just being toyed with as he bashed away. Once he scored a modest hit Kylo turned it on and dispatched him handily. I felt that Rey's ability was already much more than Finn evidenced by her aptitude at using her staff as a function of survival. She seems confident and it signals to me that she is probably versed in other weapons, despite her preference for a staff/bo. Add to this her learning to use the force and it enhances everything else. To me it makes sense / doesn't ruin my suspension of disbelief.

As far as whose lineage Rey belongs to? I have no loving clue but have a preference for being a wild force user. I think it would be fun to move away from this whole royal blood situation we may find ourselves in. gently caress midichlorians. I want to be a Jedi regardless of my blood type.

I tend to agree

a) While it would be much better if they just ignored it, a part of me hopes that in the next one Luke says something like, "Yeah, I never really bought that midichlorian stuff. They tested me and I wasn't even that high."

b) I think it was clear that Ren was hurt bad. Finn he was toying with. By the time he was fighting Rey he was about ready to pass out from blood loss.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

I don't know that I would put Rey as the best force user ever, not yet anyways. It's interesting though that she is able to figure out certain powers without training though but I don't know how I feel about that making her the most powerful Jedi.

It's weird as gently caress that there is so much nitpicking on the Jedi mind trick bit. Imagine that the legends told about Luke are basically what we get from watching the original trilogy. If you just found out that you were actually a goddamn Jedi, how is that not the first thing you would try?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mitchicon posted:

Oh god, I don't even remember this. What part of the film was this?

The bad part.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kylo Ren is basically Luke Skywalker in reverse. He's even tempted by the light side. I thought that was cool.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

cargohills posted:

There's a different between a fight scene where people look like they're trying to kill each other with each blow vs pirouetting into the next step of their dance routine.

Or just spinning their sabers around while standing two feet from each other, like in everyone's favorite gif.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cargohills posted:

You can do it without making it look painfully obvious and fake you know.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

just amazing

Was this Attack of the Clones?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mitchicon posted:

Was this Attack of the Clones?

No, Revenge of the Lucas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

I liked the music during this fight! But all of the fights were choreographed, no emotion in any of the fights and nothing was ever at stake. They all felt like video game sequences, so none of them were entertaining or exciting to watch.

4 catchphrases in two sentences. Good rate!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it's the last one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

4 catchphrases in two sentences. Good rate!

No seriously, we can we stop pretending the prequels were good? Don't ruin this thread with this stupid bullshit. Talk about the new movie, which is actually legitimately great. Make another thread if you want to talk about bad movies that you want to pretend are good just to be different.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Hollismason posted:

just amazing

There was bad parts of those fights, for sure. But that doesn't mean forget all the sequencing (you know, like how people that actually train to fight tend to know how to do) and go back to this stupid poo poo

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Skeesix posted:

I tend to agree

a) While it would be much better if they just ignored it, a part of me hopes that in the next one Luke says something like, "Yeah, I never really bought that midichlorian stuff. They tested me and I wasn't even that high."

b) I think it was clear that Ren was hurt bad. Finn he was toying with. By the time he was fighting Rey he was about ready to pass out from blood loss.

I like that idea. I'm with you and definitely like the idea of ignoring the prequels completely, but that would add more mystery to the force and how it works. Something along the line of "They theorized on this stuff, but it turns out that midichlorians are just attracted to it, and not a determining factor." It restores the mythos and opens the door for so much more from the franchise.

I totally forgot to count the gaping wound he had in his body. Just lends some more credibility.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

There was bad parts of those fights, for sure. But that doesn't mean forget all the sequencing (you know, like how people that actually train to fight tend to know how to do) and go back to this stupid poo poo

This scene isn't about the lightsaber fight though. It's 100% about the characters. That's what every lightsaber fight should be about. Not the fighting or the cool moves.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

ANH's saber fight was mediocre, but to be fair it was the first film and dude was old. The emotional fights of ESB and RotJ were pretty great though, especially with John Williams' music. The last scenes of the fight on the second Death Star with Luke hammering at Vader still give me chills.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Frackie Robinson posted:

4) Rey's parent is someone (not a Skywalker) that we know from the OT
If only Jek Porkins got to live to see his rejected, illegitimate daughter grown up into a beautiful, strong, independent, Force-sensitive young woman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frackie Robinson posted:

Nobody gives a flying gently caress about Plagueis, they're not going to have the big reveal about the big bad be that he's actually somebody we heard about once in the prequels and that 80% of the viewers aren't going to remember.

exactly.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

lol at this guy completely missing the points of any duels. the prequel lightsabers fights all look dumb as poo poo (that new hope fight LOOKS better than any of them) but their greatest sin is nobody gives a poo poo about what's happening or who it's happening to.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The Force Awakens saber fights were nowhere near this level of corny.

However, looking at that gif, it looks like Rey's fencing lunge technique was an awesome homage to that scene in A New Hope. loving love it even more for that now.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, this is all that ever needs to be said about lightsaber scenes in any Star Wars movie ever. Required viewing and comprehension for future posting, TIA thread~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3atu9ezZuQk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh no you quoted the (factually correct) rlm review. watch out people might claim you can't think for yourself in some weird defense of bad movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The full fight between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader in ANH is actually pretty good. If you watch Vader is pushing Obi Wan Kenobi into a Wall with the lunges and then Obi Wan quickly changes positioning.

I remember them talking about it and they wanted the Choreography to be similar to some style of fencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7dkSIgYgE

All Lightsaber duels.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

This scene isn't about the lightsaber fight though. It's 100% about the characters. That's what every lightsaber fight should be about. Not the fighting or the cool moves.

You're not even addressing what I've been saying. Shut up with your fan boy excuses for why its ok that the fighting has been dumbed down. I liked the characters, I liked the emotional fighting that we get in TFA back to what I'm saying, it doesnt make sense that suddenly jedi (kylo) who have been training in fighting sequences suddenly don't do that anymore and just hack at each other chaotically.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is this guy trolling or do people actually think this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

You're not even addressing what I've been saying. Shut up with your fan boy excuses for why its ok that the fighting has been dumbed down. I liked the characters, I liked the emotional fighting that we get in TFA back to what I'm saying, it doesnt make sense that suddenly jedi (kylo) who have been training in fighting sequences suddenly don't do that anymore and just hack at each other chaotically.

Ren clearly never got that far in his training. It makes sense thematically that no one knows how to use a lightsaber correctly. The only character who should be able to post prequels is Darth Vader and Obi Wan. It's a lost, dead religion.

• Locked thread