Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that episode was quite a mixture of :black101: and :stonk:.

I liked how Mika managed to lose yet another mace, even if the circumstances were a little disturbing. And Atra is really getting into her self-appointed role as first wife. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Well, that was an episode.

GodDAMN Akihiro is destined to have all of the bad things happen to him, isn't he? Episode was metal as gently caress other than that, though

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mika really did switch back to the mace until he got it stuck in someone. Atra stretching so far that her belly goes flat against the tabletop, just to hold Kudelia's hands and calm her nerves. :3:

This is the most brutal episode in a long time, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Naze bringing the hammer down: :getin:

Kudel bringing the hammer down: :gonk:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I had a feeling little bro was gonna die, since it's hard to convince a human debris who just lost all his buddies to just be okay with switching sides. His case is probably way more isolated than a big group like CGS..

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's kind of morbid how efficiently Mika manages to go straight for the kill shots.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Tae posted:

I had a feeling little bro was gonna die, since it's hard to convince a human debris who just lost all his buddies to just be okay with switching sides. His case is probably way more isolated than a big group like CGS..

Yep. It also highlights just how, even with the hosed up nature of CGS, it was also leagues better than what the kids could have had. Sucks either way, but there are varying degrees of evil in such things.

Also this series reminds me why I really like the 'real/super robot' divide existing in universe (as arbitrary such a divide can get sometimes). Stuff like the Gusion punching a hole through an asteroid with its hammer (I realise its the most minor of spoilers, but eh) is way more impressive when the established baseline is so much lower.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 20, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Universal beam weapons are going to be such a mercy on this universe.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I hope beam weapons are never introduced. You don't get that crunching, tearing of metal with beam weapons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of which, the katana seems like a terrible weapon compared to the lance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, the katana seems like a terrible weapon compared to the lance.

Well, terrible in a situation where he's fighting armored units. Probably a lot better against ghallahorns who are using something similar to the Graze.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That preview seemed rather ominous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

It's a lot lighter, faster, and easier to handle, and I bet it's hella sharp. Mika just isn't used to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Somehow I doubt it's sharp enough to cut through metal armor. The way the fights have been staged so far makes it hard for me to picture him slicing through Grazes like butter. It would clash with the tone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Somehow I doubt it's sharp enough to cut through metal armor. The way the fights have been staged so far makes it hard for me to picture him slicing through Grazes like butter. It would clash with the tone.

The Hyakurens' knives have been shown to be capable of doing exactly that (remember the mess Amida made of Akihiro's axe?), and this weapon came from the same engineers. I'd be prepared to bet it's pretty good at cutting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Katana is also going to be much more useful on gravity battles, and it seems like Mika uses it as a secondary weapon so it's not like he's switching mains.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Christ, that was brutal and really well done. The deliberate contrast between Akihiro talking to his brother about how great it is to have friends and a family while Mika and the girls slaughter their way through the other Brewers debris pilots was incredibly good.

Also it strikes me as incredibly dangerous to use abused slaves as mobile suit pilots. The CGS kids were militarized, but they were only ever given relatively cheap and crappy mobile workers. Giving a heavily armed and armored mobile suit to someone you kick the poo poo out of, starve, threaten, and abuse every single waking moment of their lives seems like an extremely stupid thing to do, even more so when your entire mobile suit squadron bar one appears to be made of these slaves. Kudal and company are really reliant on the psychological aspect of being human debris to not get :commissar:'d by their own troops, I suppose, since Orga and friends are living proof that pushing child soldiers too far leads to dangerous places.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's the alternative if they rebel? They're in the middle of space with no navigation, money, and Mars certainly won't care and earth is out of the question.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

OOOORRRPHAANNNSSS!!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

What's the alternative if they rebel? They're in the middle of space with no navigation, money, and Mars certainly won't care and earth is out of the question.

Given that Masahiro's outlook in this episode is that poo poo loving sucks and everyone is going to die anyway, it would probably be more satisfying for that to happen in the process of putting a boot on the throat of the men who bought and used you as a slave, first. In the case of CGS outright rebellion was impractical because of the balance of forces involved, but in the case of the Brewers it looks like they field at least 6 mobile suits(possibly more, since Kudal says "1-5, follow me, the rest of you deal with x!") and it looks like basically all of them except the Gusion are operated by Debris kids with AV systems. That's a pretty dangerous balance of power for the slave owners.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You're on my mind
Can't you hear the blues that the sky sings?

gently caress

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

There wasn't much of a chance of this having a happy ending when the fight opened with Mika and co. just murdering all Masahiro's friends.

Great episode. Glad to see the show is back to being as uncompromising as it was for the first couple of episodes. As usual, the character bits were rad and the fighting really good.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a lot lighter, faster, and easier to handle, and I bet it's hella sharp. Mika just isn't used to it.

He keeps using it against the Gusion, which has nanolaminate armour because it's a Gundam, so it's all the problems of trying to use a blade against armour, except magnified. It works fine when he uses it to stab a joint, exactly like the side-arm that he's treating it as.

I'm looking forward to Mika getting the Gusion hammer, and also I'm probably going to get a 1/100 Gusion because its design owns so much.

e;

Schubalts posted:

I hope beam weapons are never introduced. You don't get that crunching, tearing of metal with beam weapons.

:agreed: :coffeepal:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 20, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

I liked that a lot actually. My biggest disappointment is that i was hoping for more women in the cast; that might have been a mistaken expectation brought on by the productions team's past works and by the fact that the only other Gundam show i've watched is Turn A.

Quotin myself from the past just to say tha Mari Okada came through and not only introduced a bunch of ladies, but just in general has made all of the cast quite engaging. Exactly what i was hoping for going in to this show.

This is going to just keep on trucking on right? It's not a split cour series or anything?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

Quotin myself from the past just to say tha Mari Okada came through and not only introduced a bunch of ladies, but just in general has made all of the cast quite engaging. Exactly what i was hoping for going in to this show.

This is going to just keep on trucking on right? It's not a split cour series or anything?

It's a Gundam TV show. They usually just keep going steadily on until they're done. There is the possibility that we might get a second two-cour season like with 00, but there haven't been any signs of that so far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gundam shows usually aren't, but I don't think we've heard anything either way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a Gundam TV show. They usually just keep going steadily on until they're done. There is the possibility that we might get a second two-cour season like with 00, but there haven't been any signs of that so far.

Gundam 00 was announced ahead of time that it was going to be split into two seasons (to alternate between Code Geass). For all intents and purposes, Orphans is a 25~ episode series.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I knew I was right to fear about the Brewers kids. :gonk:

Awesome combined arms, though. Norba is so loving :black101:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Traveller posted:

I knew I was right to fear about the Brewers kids. :gonk:

Awesome combined arms, though. Norba is so loving :black101:

Seriously, Mika has had the "whoa, what a hosed up cold-blooded murder machine" focus but Norba is casually cracking jokes while mowing people down like it's nothing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Akihiro, please get a happy ending when this is all over. :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, Gundam always has a tension between its goals as a serious war story and as a vehicle for selling toys, but it's really pronounced here.

"Hey, cute new model you got there! It kind of looks like a frog. Where's it from?"
"Yeah, that's a Man Rodi from the new Gundam show. It's what the slaver-pirates send their child soldiers out to die in."
"I... see. And that one? I didn't know Bandai did kits that small."
"Oh, right, the tank? Same show. It's what the fascist world government uses to gun down protesters."
"... :stare:."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Can we change the thread title?

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Jesus gently caress how this show is so good.

The waiting for the first half, the tension building, Akihiro waiting early to get out there. And the battle so far; :black101: as gently caress.

Sam Faust posted:

OOOORRRPHAANNNSSS!!!

Exactly.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - A Love that Crushes Like a Mace

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it possible to play IBO on a PS4 somehow? I'm in the UK and watching Daisuki on my laptop. I watched Build Fighters on the YouTube app, but using the Daisuki site over the browser doesn't work.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I'm glad they didn't hold back too many punches with Mika literally crushing other child soldiers to death with his mace. I wonder at what point he might have a existential crisis about what he's doing. My guess is when the mafia turns their back on TeiwazTekkadan for some greater pursuit of profit/power, and Orga tows the mafia line. I mean, they're the mob after all, regardless of the silly canoli/japanophile thing they have going on..

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 20, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it possible to play IBO on a PS4 somehow? I'm in the UK and watching Daisuki on my laptop. I watched Build Fighters on the YouTube app, but using the Daisuki site over the browser doesn't work.

The only easy way is the CrunchyRoll app but that's a week behind. The only other way is to start messing around with Plex and :filez: episodes.
Or trying to find said pirated versions in a format the PS4 can read from a memory stick I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mika is a genuinely uncomfortable dude to watch fight which I really appreciate. Even with general knowledge of what his opponents are he doesn't hold back in the slightest.

There was no chance whatsoever of Akihiro rescuing his brother but I at least appreciated them having his friendship speech just straight-up fail rather than it succeeding and then him getting ganked anyway.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm glad they didn't hold back too many punches with Mika literally crushing other child soldiers to death with his mace. I wonder at what point he might have a existential crisis about what he's doing. My guess is when the mafia turns their back on Teiwaz for some greater pursuit of profit/power, and Orga tows the mafia line. I mean, they're the mob after all, regardless of the silly canoli/japanophile thing they have going on..

Teiwaz is the jovian mafia though???

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Dark as the episode may have been, I have to note just how :3: is that Mika spends downtime studying. Stay in school, kids!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Traveller posted:

Dark as the episode may have been, I have to note just how :3: is that Mika spends downtime studying. Stay in school, kids!

Stay in school until you are crushed to death by a heavy blunt object!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Begemot posted:

Teiwaz is the jovian mafia though???

I meant Tekkadan.

As mentioned earlier, I do wonder what the demographics of the people watching this show are, cause I probably wouldn't let any kid younger than 16 watch this show. The toy sale thing is also really weird when your main character is a borderline sociopathic soldier created by his environment, the enemy robots are piloted by racist fascists, harem mafiosos, other child soldiers, and their slave drivers.

Edit: drat, this is a weird rear end show when you write out character groups involved.

• Locked thread