Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it to late to get the exclusive ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've been away a bit and see a lot of love for flak cannons here - have they been buffed?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Aethernet posted:

I've been away a bit and see a lot of love for flak cannons here - have they been buffed?

Ammo capacity has been tripled.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Aethernet posted:

Significantly. I don't think they've touched damage or mechanics, but they tripled the ammo capacity.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it to late to get the exclusive ship.

What, the Cobra mk IV?

You can have mine if you want, it's poo poo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is it worse than the MK 3?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Flipswitch posted:

That seems to be the general opinion.

Are there any problems winging up between 1.5 and Horizons? I have some returning friends, and I'm not sure if there will be a problem. Obv. they can't do planet stuff.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I think if they had called it the Cobra Freighter it would be better received.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

I'm going to be playing CQC today for a few hours around 2PM EST (7PM GMT) and every time I get killed I'm donating a dollar to SETI. Come kill me if you can.

reddit link

Update: tried to test out CQC and I couldn't get a single game. Stuck in matchmaking hell. Please join me at 2pm est so I can play a game of CQC.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

OB_Juan posted:

That seems to be the general opinion.

Are there any problems winging up between 1.5 and Horizons? I have some returning friends, and I'm not sure if there will be a problem. Obv. they can't do planet stuff.

1.5 and Horizons players share the same server. They can play together.

Now, the problem will of course be if the game decides if you are allowed to share the same instance due to their backwards thinking of how they think Players never want to wing up together to blow things up.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 20, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Flipswitch posted:

It's essentially just the MK 3 with an extra class 4 and 2 class 3 internal slots bolted to it. Also the small hardpoints were moved to the top of the hull and a 3rd small was added. But it's got the same thrusters so it's significantly slower and less agile.

Actually all of it's equipment is the same as the MK 3.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 20, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

EDIT: I'm bad at pressing the edit button

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Flipswitch posted:

It's actually better in most respects, but falls short in one critically important aspect: It's slow as gently caress. The Mk3 is the fastest ship in the game in a straight line, the Mk4 is one of the slowest. Like, "has trouble catching up to bulk transport craft that aren't the Type 9" slow. There are several ships that would handily outrun it even without boosting.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think if they had called it the Cobra Freighter it would be better received.
The Type 6 isn't that much more expensive, and even that's way faster while holding more cargo (better jump range, too).

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So the CG treasure hunt ended up being completely broken. The last step involved selling illicit materials at a specific station... except that the station didn't have a black market. The black market was quietly activated overnight, so dozens of players who would've solved it Friday wasted hours being unable to solve it and just chasing red herrings instead.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

IAmTheRad posted:

Now, the problem will of course be if the game decides if you are allowed to share the same instance due to their backwards thinking of how they think Players never want to wing up together to blow things up.

That's the part I'm most worried about. I'll have to test it out.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

There's also a reccuring problem of people suddenly being unable to see people they are winged with.

As in: their ship/srv just disappears from view but you can still watch their wing beacon moving around every ~3 seconds.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

So the CG treasure hunt ended up being completely broken. The last step involved selling illicit materials at a specific station... except that the station didn't have a black market. The black market was quietly activated overnight, so dozens of players who would've solved it Friday wasted hours being unable to solve it and just chasing red herrings instead.

Bwahahaha classic.

So I guess it's over now and one lucky guy got the prize?

Doc Cunado
Mar 16, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

That's the part I'm most worried about. I'll have to test it out.

Winged up with a friend who doesn't have Horizons last night. Played a few hours at the Xihe rez to and from station without any issues, other than having the coms system occasionally go down.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

It's actually better in most respects, but falls short in one critically important aspect: It's slow as gently caress. The Mk3 is the fastest ship in the game in a straight line, the Mk4 is one of the slowest. Like, "has trouble catching up to bulk transport craft that aren't the Type 9" slow. There are several ships that would handily outrun it even without boosting.

The Type 6 isn't that much more expensive, and even that's way faster while holding more cargo (better jump range, too).

Astroniomix posted:

It's essentially just the MK 3 with an extra class 4 and 2 class 3 internal slots bolted to it. Also the small hardpoints were moved to the top of the hull and a 3rd small was added. But it's got the same thrusters so it's significantly slower and less agile.

Actually all of it's equipment is the same as the MK 3.
Cheers dudes, seems kinda balls then but admittedly I like some speed in my ships.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

I'm going to be playing CQC today for a few hours around 2PM EST (7PM GMT) and every time I get killed I'm donating a dollar to SETI. Come kill me if you can.

reddit link

update: starting up the game again and getting ready for some CQC! Starting at 2pm any kills on me counts towards how much I donate. I'm CMDR Meeklo Braca and I'm bad at this game.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

Put basically any guns you want on a Python and go to loving town because it will stomp everything. Most recently I put pulse turrets on the C2 slots, a C3 G/beam, and two C3 G/cannons. You can tear small ships apart with the turrets and beam (which fires basically forever with enough pips), and rip larger ships apart by adding the cannons.

The Python is basically a big rear end in a top hat gun platform and you can't really go wrong when outfitting it for bounty hunting. Plus it has a big enough power plant to take nice QoL things, like A-class sensors and KWS. I love it.

I really really like my Clipper but short of ramming I feel like I might be a better killer in a Python tbh

I'm on the fence and spacepoor enough I could only do one or the other

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Helter Skelter posted:

Has anyone here taken the keelback for a spin yet? On paper, it sounds like 'type 6 with better guns and more maneuverability'.

E: nm, I ran the numbers on this, and for what I was thinking of doing, and the spare cash I'd have, the asp Explorer pisses all over it in terms of range and cargo space. At about three times the cost, but hey. General brown sea/reddit consensus seems to be 'might be interesting when fighter bays arrive', with a dash of 'ooh, vtol engines, shiny!'

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 21, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

devil_doc8404 posted:

Winged up with a friend who doesn't have Horizons last night. Played a few hours at the Xihe rez to and from station without any issues, other than having the coms system occasionally go down.

Cool! Good to hear.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Not sure if it's been commented on here but I think the Xihe hazres makes your weapons run very hot.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This moon has a nice pink glow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Not sure if it's been commented on here but I think the Xihe hazres makes your weapons run very hot.

It orbits a brown dwarf so that makes sense.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah the HazRESes in Xihe are the closest RESes to the star, close enough that if you hang out near them in supercruise you stand a good chance of overheating. In realspace it's not as hot but most ships still sit at 50~55% heat when there. The plus side to this is that it makes a great place to hone your heat management skills, as well as making it easier to spot NPCs because they all have larger heat signatures there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I can easily start cooking my Vulture if I just keep the trigger down on my beam laser. Hit boost? Now it's getting toasty. Xihe is teaching me to keep an ear out for the overheating audible cues, as my dashboard spends most of the time smoking already.

Just took the Beam/Frag Vulture out for a spin and it was great. Even after the ammo buff I spent a good half of my flight with the thing empty, it would have been painful to use with only 30 rounds. 90 sounds better but it still doesn't go that far, I found it's best saved for sucker punching big ships right in the power plant, 3 good hits at a few hundred meters did a whopping 33% or something silly to a Conda.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 20, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Arrath posted:

Yeah I can easily start cooking my Vulture if I just keep the trigger down on my beam laser. Hit boost? Now it's getting toasty. Xihe is teaching me to keep an ear out for the overheating audible cues, as my dashboard spends most of the time smoking already.

Just took the Beam/Frag Vulture out for a spin and it was great. Even after the ammo buff I spent a good half of my flight with the thing empty, it would have been painful to use with only 30 rounds. 90 sounds better but it still doesn't go that far, I found it's best saved for sucker punching big ships right in the power plant, 3 good hits at a few hundred meters did a whopping 33% or something silly to a Conda.

Yeah, the nice thing about a C3 beam is that it will still wreck small fighters and do fine against mediums, so you can save the frags for burst damage against larger threats or fighting wings. Or for Asps because they are stupid and deserve death by perforation.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arrath posted:

Just did this whilst scrapping with a Python & an Anaconda at the same time, ships in loving tatters and my modules are fried to poo poo but it owned hardcore.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you find minerals and whatever that the SRV can interact with on planets? Just drive around aimlessly or is there more to it?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How do you plan long distance exploration runs? I mean, I know I can select a target somewhere and then just move the map closer until I find a plot, but is there an easier way? Also how do you scan systems doing that, because even though my navigation computer keeps track of my last plotted route I can't find a way to reselect that as a target after switching to scanning stuff in the system I'm in.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
So I took a mission to destroy a surface turret, flew to the system, only to find only gas giants. What am I missing here?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I had that happen to me the other night. I don't know how it is determined, but it's because there is a planet or moon somewhere in the system that you haven't discovered yet. Get a discovery sensor and go looking around stations and gas giants.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Amethyst posted:

So I took a mission to destroy a surface turret, flew to the system, only to find only gas giants. What am I missing here?

Scrree posted:

I had that happen to me the other night. I don't know how it is determined, but it's because there is a planet or moon somewhere in the system that you haven't discovered yet. Get a discovery sensor and go looking around stations and gas giants.

This, you need a honker aka Discovery Scanner.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I have a basic discovery scanner and have flown around all of the gas giants, and found nothing. do I just need to upgrade my scanner?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

nessin posted:

How do you plan long distance exploration runs? I mean, I know I can select a target somewhere and then just move the map closer until I find a plot, but is there an easier way?
That's up to you. Some people plan meticulous routes looking for what they know to have a good chance for high value scans, so typically have short plots. Me I find something a thousand Ly out (usually something special like a white dwarf/neutron star/O star) and just jump where my computer takes me.

nessin posted:

Also how do you scan systems doing that, because even though my navigation computer keeps track of my last plotted route I can't find a way to reselect that as a target after switching to scanning stuff in the system I'm in.
There's a hot key you can bind to reselect your plotted nav route.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Amethyst posted:

I have a basic discovery scanner and have flown around all of the gas giants, and found nothing. do I just need to upgrade my scanner?

Potentially, the basic one you have has a limited range, the target planet must be outside it.

EDIT
You also don't need to assign a hotkey to re-select your route, you can select it manually from the left hand menu, just select it normally (it will have the route icon next to it) and your route will resume when you jump into that system.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

It's possible there's another star and system a few light minutes away that your basic scanner cannot find, as it can only find things within 500 LS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

KakerMix posted:

Potentially, the basic one you have has a limited range, the target planet must be outside it.

EDIT
You also don't need to assign a hotkey to re-select your route, you can select it manually from the left hand menu, just select it normally (it will have the route icon next to it) and your route will resume when you jump into that system.

This also has a keybind, called 'next system in route' or something, defaults to o or 0.

• Locked thread