Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Smegmatron posted:

This is most countries with a middle class, just FYI.

The only exceptional thing about China in this situation is scale.

The Chinese middle class is newly formed and gaining wealth. Not only is there scale, there is a fairly unique level of hyperactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People call privately owned bus and taxi services public transport so I don't see why you can't say the same thing about Jetstar.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

No paragraph break, why posted

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

open24hours posted:

People call privately owned bus and taxi services public transport so I don't see why you can't say the same thing about Jetstar.

And then use that as justification to gut further funding in favour of job creator subsidies

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Laserface posted:

Besides the Air Force and other government operated aircraft for the politicians, there is zero publically owned airlines in Australia, correct? Wasnt Ansett the only one?

Some arrogant fuckhead on facebook is arguing that public transport in Australia is hosed because their Jetstar flight is delayed by 2 hours. A number of people have told her that its a private company but apparently in her mind 'public transport' includes any form of transport the public has access to.

I'm not 100% on this, but from what I recall Qantas was a privatised public airline. And Jetstar was founded by the people who own it to get around the regulations the government put Qantas on.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Cleretic posted:

I'm not 100% on this, but from what I recall Qantas was a privatised public airline. And Jetstar was founded by the people who own it to get around the regulations the government put Qantas on.

A recently privatised *Queensland* public airline, and we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling southerners

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

A Good Username posted:

NSW state government has found the best way to combat drug use - memes.

http://www.stonersloth.com.au/

And if you drop the .au you get a store for weed stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Taitale posted:

And if you drop the .au you get a store for weed stuff.

:eyepop:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How about this for a hot new antidrug campaign?
Lips that have touched the dope will not touch these *julie_bishop_duckface.jpg*

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At lease those original ladies were in on the joke

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Im just brainstorming here, there are no bad ideas. What about something with a wombat? Everybody hates those. Don't be a Kush Koala

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Bongwyn Bishop

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

George chrastenson says: dont be a muslim! dont smoke a pot!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You're worse on weed

#fail #blunttheboats #embarrasing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You're worse on warpstone #stonerseer

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

You're worse on warpstone #stonerseer

If you warpstone and bell, you're a bloody idiot.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
HAHAHAHAHAHA

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Would be cheap at twice the price.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

hooman posted:

If you warpstone and bell, you're a bloody idiot.

Say gnaw to drugs

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I won't repost it here, because it is very long but this is worth reading and giving the guardian your clicks for.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/dec/21/how-australias-immigration-detention-regime-crushed-fazel-chegeni

gently caress me.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

hooman posted:

I won't repost it here, because it is very long but this is worth reading and giving the guardian your clicks for.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/dec/21/how-australias-immigration-detention-regime-crushed-fazel-chegeni

gently caress me.

I read that this morning. Definitely worth reading, both depressing and rage inducing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

gently caress me.

Hans, are we the baddies?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Hans, are we the baddies?

Well we are marching under the banner of a rat's anus.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-21/state-plan-to-lift-tasmanias-legal-smoking-age-above-18/7044622
Tasmania could become the only state in Australia to raise the legal age for smoking above 18, as the State Government charts an ambitious path forward for improving the state's health.

The Government has unveiled its five-year preventative health plan to try and make Tasmania Australia's healthiest state by 2025.

The strategy has a specific focus on reducing Tasmania's high obesity levels and smoking rates.

About 20 per cent of Tasmanians smoke, the second highest rate in Australia, and Health Minister Michael Ferguson said the Government wanted to stop young people lighting up.

"We are proposing that we lift the legal smoking age potentially above 18, to potentially 21 or potentially 25," he said.

"[In Tasmania] we have unacceptably high rates of smoking, we know that every cigarette is doing you damage and, despite our best efforts through public health over a number of years, we're still nowhere near we're we need to be.

"We have over 20 per cent of Tasmanians regular smokers, we have very high rates of youth smoking and one-third of young teenage mothers smoking during pregnancy.

"We've got to own up to this and be willing to have a genuine community debate."

Around Australia, people under 18 cannot buy, smoke or possess cigarettes and health professionals agreed raising the legal age, especially in Tasmania, was a step in the right direction.

Penny Egan from the Cancer Council said the percentage of young people smoking in Tasmania was much higher than other states.

"In the cohort of young people between 18 and 24, we know that about 32 per cent of those people are smoking," she said.

"That's double what that same cohort is doing in other states and territories.

"We need to get rid of that addiction [and] putting up the age may be one of the answers."

An idea backed by the Australian Medical Association's Tasmanian branch secretary Tim Greenaway.

"The important thing to realise is 100 per cent of habitual smokers have started smoking by the age of 25," he said.

"Two-thirds of all smokers will die from smoking-related diseases and smoking causes more deaths than drug and alcohol abuse combined, so we must target smoking."

The State Government's entire health plan will not be put out for public consultation until the middle of February 2016.
We should not condone smoking at any age: Dean

Tasmanian MLC Ivan Dean said the State Government's idea gazumped his plan to ban smoking for everyone born from the year 2000.

His bill is currently being considered by a Parliamentary Committee.

He was not convinced the State Government's proposal would be more effective in reducing smoking rates.

"It really doesn't change what we've got now," he said.

"We're saying at 18 years of age smoking is OK for you, that's the anomaly in the law and that's what raising it from 21 or 25 will do as well.

"It indicates or supports smoking at some age."

Mr Dean said he did not want to see his plan ignored by the State Government.

"It's still on the table and it will be coming back before the Parliament in early 2016," he said.

But Mr Ferguson said it would still be considered when presented to Parliament.

"I think we all applaud the intent of that bill," he said.

"It's subject to a parliamentary process and the Government will absolutely reserve judgement on how it will respond to that.

"But it's well documented — I mean, there are difficulties with that proposal."

This couldn't be legal, could it?

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

hooman posted:

gently caress me.

Cripes. I'm glad this stuff still manages to get out to the press, that is utterly atrocious.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

open24hours posted:

This couldn't be legal, could it?

Why not? It's simply the age the law has set as the minimum age. It just so happens that it aligns with the "age of majority" or whatever term you want to use for 18. In Tasmania, the minimum age for supply was 16 up until 1997. So if they've changed it once there's nothing to say they can do it again.

The issue, if any, might be if a tobacco company tried to argue it as a restraint on trade. I've no idea how that might go, particularly with the FTA we've just had.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

chyaroh posted:

Why not? It's simply the age the law has set as the minimum age. It just so happens that it aligns with the "age of majority" or whatever term you want to use for 18. In Tasmania, the minimum age for supply was 16 up until 1997. So if they've changed it once there's nothing to say they can do it again.

The issue, if any, might be if a tobacco company tried to argue it as a restraint on trade. I've no idea how that might go, particularly with the FTA we've just had.

Arguably the ISDS provisions only apply to the Federal Govt.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

chyaroh posted:

We typically allow age based discrimination for children whereas we don't for adults. I guess youth wages apply to people over 18 though. We really need better anti-discrimination legislation.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Mithranderp posted:

But Tasmania is a state, wouldn't it just be ACT and NT that are safe? :wom:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Nautilus42 posted:

Cripes. I'm glad this stuff still manages to get out to the press, that is utterly atrocious.

But the thing is even though it got out to the press it's not going to loving do anything. Our country is going to continue psychologically (and sometimes, physically) torturing asylum seekers to death, clear evidence of such is going to continue being released by the press, the people who care are going to continue being horrified by what the government is doing, and the people who don't (who make up the majority of the country) are going to shrug their shoulders and turn the other way. Both major political parties explicitly support the kind of poo poo detailed in that article.

gently caress this country.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mithranderp posted:

I thought treaties made by the Fed are binding on the states though?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
I couldn't make it to the end but see how you go http://www.elfyourself.com/?mId=67054319.3

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

*Makes a flash website in 2015*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

I thought treaties made by the Fed are binding on the states though?

They don't seem to give a gently caress about refugee conventions.

Or human rights treaties.

OTOH I guess Phillip Morris isn't willing to sue us over those though.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

open24hours posted:

*Makes a flash website in 2015*

Yeah, I had to bust out Chrome to watch it because gently caress installing Flash.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
helmet bike chat

quote:

Cyclists in New South Wales will need to carry photo ID and fines for certain offences will more than quadruple to $425 under new laws announced by the state’s roads minister, Duncan Gay.

Fines for cycling offences, currently standardised at $71, will be increased for not wearing a helmet (to $319), running a red light ($425), riding dangerously ($425), holding on to a moving vehicle ($319) and not stopping at a children’s or pedestrian crossing ($425). The fine for not having ID is $106.

Vehicles travelling more than 60km/h will need to give cyclists one-and-a-half metres room or pay a $319 fine and lose two demerit points.

The changes on traffic light and pedestrian crossing offences bring fines for cyclists into line with those for car drivers.

let the games begin

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

helmet bike chat

let the games begin

I'm fine with the fines aspect, but I'm a bit concerned about the ID requirement.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What a joke of a state. If cyclists start wearing cameras and reporting people for not leaving enough room there are going to be a lot of people without licenses over the next few months. Might fix the so-called revenue problem too.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

What a joke of a state. If cyclists start wearing cameras and reporting people for not leaving enough room there are going to be a lot of people without licenses over the next few months. Might fix the so-called revenue problem too.

"No you see officer I was travelling at 59kph at the time and as such not required to leave the requisite distance"

EDIT: A traffic lane is usually 3.3-3.5m wide. A car can maximum be 2.5m (like most buses are) so a cyclist riding right at the edge of a road requires the bus to be 1.5+2.5 =4m to the far side, so 0.5m into the far lane to pass them.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pass them the same way you'd pass a car, move into the other lane.

So, do ID laws include all ages?

• Locked thread