Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

not? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
What wacky shenanigans are Tidehunt up to today?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What wacky shenanigans are Tidehunt up to today?

Murder, pillage, death, monster induced pain and suffering. You know, the usual.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Update 52: Manticore

Sometimes I worry about Sidney. I think he gets too much pleasure from killing things.

DS Version

Hmm? What are we doing here? I thought we were supposed to be exploring the Labyrinth.

Exploring the Labyrinth isn't all we do. Sometimes we set out sailing on the ocean. Doing whatever.

But mainly working toward the restoration of Armoroad.

And sometimes we help some people out with any problems they have. Though most of them involve killing monsters.

We're kind of like wandering heroes in that way. Hee hee.

Oh. I see Flowdia had her eyes on the right guild. Hmmhmm.

Ooh, a Manticore? Sounds like a real toughie! Let's help this guy out!

Here's the party that was voted in. And here are the party members I'll be using for this Sea Quest.

Here's my setup for this Sea Quest. Let's go!

DS Version

Dude, you really shouldn't go on your own. Trust us! We know this place. ...Kinda.

Having been here before, you offer to guide the way. It would be dangerous to go alone. The client reluctantly accepts and follows you into the depths of the forest. The client says he’ll be fine from here on, but just as he does, the trees begin to wriggle ominously!

The trees are monsters? Great, what's next? The Labyrinth is a monster?

There’s no going forward or back without defeating the tree monsters! The client has raised his guard! Follow his lead and fight against the Dark Forest!

Let's incinerate them!

:black101:Video: Manticore:black101:

DS Version

We're not fighting against the boss just yet. This is a fight with multiple waves, and it's the last Sea Quest that's like that.

Mistletoe
HP: 566
TP: 707
STR: 39
VIT: 40
AGI: 36
LUC: 33
TEC: 43
Attack Type: Pierce
Exp: 3000
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Proboscis - 40% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Kijin Daiou (Katana. Must be restocked.) 1 needed for the quest Mooning over clover.
--Mistletoe tongue that sucks nutrients from its prey.
-Drop 2: N/A
-Gold: N/A
Description: A plant monster whose existence was only recently confirmed.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 30% Confusion: 30% Plague: 50% Poison: 50% Blind: 30% Curse: 50% Paralysis: 30%
Bind Resistances: Head: 50% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 50% Petrification: 50% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Life Absorb: Uses the Head. A single target Almighty attack that deals 115% damage. Heals the user for all of the damage dealt.

Mistletoes are pretty much designed to waste your time and resources before the actual fight. You need to take them out quickly, and preferably all at the same time.

Mostly just doing some setup here.

Relax. Take a load off.

Dark Ether stops the selected row from using up any TP for the turn. For physical attackers like Sidney, that's a godsend.

White Flame is kind of like Prevent Order in that it prevents ailments from being inflicted, but it only works on the user. However, it can't be dispelled when it blocks an ailment, so it's stronger than Prevent Order in that regard.

Mistletoes hit pretty hard, which is why I have Faye set up a Protect Order.

Healing, and harm!

Starting a forest fire in 3...

Ooh, let me help out with that!

And showing you just how ridiculous Protect Order is right now. Depending on the class, that restores about 40% to 75% of their maximum HP.

Time to end this quickly.

Perhaps I can offer you a back massage.

Ooh, that'd be nice!

Rampage deals Slash damage to every enemy on the field. It's decent for this fight.

Asses to ashes.

Oh, and the reason you want to take them out at the same time is because of this skill.

Poison Seeds: Does not use a body part. Used upon death. Attempts to Poison the entire party, and has a 99% chance of succeeding. The Poison ticks for 150 damage.

Wait how did that miss Faye? She doesn't have the stats to resist it. Oh well, must have gotten lucky. But yeah, look at that success rate and Poison damage. It takes off a good chunk of your HP, and will flat out kill most classes if they got damage during the fight. And even if they survive, they won't be in good condition for the next fight.

Excuse me while I harvest your energy from your remains. I need it for science!

And there's Etheric Return in action. Restores some of Asteria's TP every time she gets a kill.

Ya missed one!

If you had a lot of trouble with that part of the fight, you're really not gonna like what's coming up next.

DS Version

It seems your intuition was right. With a smirk, the client readies his weapon and levels it ahead. A lion monster with huge wings approaches, its eyes dead-set on you as it licks its chops!

That's probably the Manticore that book was talking about!

Time seems to freeze for a moment, but the tension is broken as you, the client, and the lion engage!

Ooh, that's a big one! Bring it!

DS Version

Hey, here's another familiar face from Etrian Odyssey 1! Manticor! Or rather, Manticore, now that the 8 character limit is no longer a thing. Anyways, he was an optional boss you could take on in the 4th Stratum, and was kind of nasty to deal with since his main form of offense was using ailments. And ailments was one of the few ways of getting past Immunize, the most broken strategy in that game.

Manticore
HP: 6569
TP: 707
STR: 36
VIT: 43
AGI: 44
LUC: 42
TEC: 41
Attack Type: Slash
Exp: 20000
Item Drops:
-Normal: Toxic Leather - 100% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Slashed Mail (Light Armor.)
--A black beast’s hand with unthinkably strong toxins.
-Gold: Evil Horn - Killing blow must deal at least 5000 damage. 100% Drop Rate. Prevents normal drops. 1 needed for Beast's Chain. (Wildling's ultimate Clothes. Must be restocked.)
--Can pierce metallic plates with ease.
Description: A new type of monster that lurks in the Dark Forest. It has long been spoken of in legend.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 10% Confusion: 10% Plague: 10% Poison: 10% Blind: 10% Curse: 10% Paralysis: 10%
Bind Resistances: Head: 30% Arm: 30% Leg: 30%
Other Resistances: Death: 1% Petrification: 1% Stun: 10%

Skills:

Petrivoice: Uses the Head. Attempts to Petrify or Confuse the entire party, and has a 10% chance of succeeding.
Darkness Coil: Uses the Head. Attempts to Blind or Curse the entire party, and has a 20% chance of succeeding.
Magic Lullaby: Uses the Head. Deals 40% Almighty damage to the entire party, and has a 15% chance of inflicting Sleep. Cannot miss. Uses the TEC stat.
Poison Tale: Uses the Legs. Deals 100% Pierce damage to the entire party, and has a 15% chance of inflicting Poison. The Poison ticks for 40 damage. Has an accuracy of 120.

Manticore pretty much has the same skillset he had in EO1. Though he lost his resistances to elemental attacks. Using ailments and binds on Manticore isn't really going to be effective, since he's pretty much resistant to them. The deadliest thing about Manticore are the ailments he can inflict. The infliction rates may seem low, but keep in mind that all his skills are AOEs.

Gonna set up and open up with an Etheric Charged Hellfire.

Lie down. Have a cookie.

An ounce of Faye is worth a pound of cure!

Magic Lullaby is pretty much the first thing the Manticore will throw out. His AI operates differently than most other bosses, which I'll cover in a bit.

Locked and loaded! Ow. How does Rose do this all the time?

Hmm. Guess I can't just burn away all my problems anymore.

Ech. Got an unlucky roll there. Also I forgot to use Charge Tactic for this, so my damage was even lower than it should have been. Oh well, shaved off 1162 HP in the end, so that's nice. Unfortunately, Asteria is starting to get affected by EO3's power curve since that's only less than a quarter of Manticore's max HP.

More setup. And trying to prevent my back row from dying from Manticore's next attack.

And that should stop Magic Lullaby from killing them.

Cheap shot!

Mmph. Pleased to meet you. I am Akatsuki, ninja slayer...

Shoot. Asteria, can you help Sid out? My hands are kinda full here!

On it!

Okay, when someone falls asleep, Manticore will use Poison Tail-wait, what?

:barf:

Yeah, that move was called Poison Tail in the Japanese version. Not sure what happened here. Anyways, when someone is asleep, Manticore will cast Poison Tale, dealing a lot of damage and Poisoning your party members. The Poison damage ticks are lower than the Mistletoes' Poison Seeds, but Manticore's goal is to slowly whittle you down. If the Poison doesn't kill you, well his other skills will.

Back at the shooting gallery!

And if someone's Poisoned, Manticore will cast Darkness Coil. It has a chance of inflicting either Blind or Curse, but those are only painful if they land on a damage dealer. A support won't care about those ailments.

Pfft. Like that's gonna do anything.

That seemed to be ineffective.

The forecast didn't call for clouds!

Okay, let's actually start dealing damage to this thing.

Oh dear. Petrivoice is Manticore's deadliest skill. Once someone is Blind or Cursed, he'll start casting this. It has a chance to inflict Confusion or worse, Petrification, on the whole party.

Fortunately, it didn't hit anyone.

KABOOM!

OH MY GOD, WHY AM I HOLDING A KNIFE!? Did I kill someone again!?

Did I get him?

Hate to rain on your parade, but he was behind you.

Phooey.

If I killed someone... That means that beast is a witness!

All witnesses must die!

The worst part about Petrivoice is that if Manticore Petrifies someone, he'll be stuck casting it until you cure it. Also when Manticore drops below 51%, his AI gets erratic and starts casting random skills.

To sum up, here's how Manticore's AI operates. The game checks for stuff in this order:

If HP is at or above 51%:
-If at least 1 person is Petrified, Confused, Blind, or Cursed, cast Petrivoice.
-If at least 1 person is Poisoned, cast Darkness Coil.
-If at least 1 person is asleep, cast Poison Tale.
-Else, cast Magic Lullaby.

Else:
-25% chance to cast Petrivoice.
-25% chance to cast Darkness Coil.
-25% chance to cast Poison Tale.
-25% chance to cast Magic Lullaby.

Simple as that. But makes for a harrowing boss fight if you're unprepared. He does deviate from that occasionally, but that's how he works for the most part. You might notice a hole in his AI, but I'll be showing that off a bit later. At any rate, it's important to recover from ailments as soon as possible, as that stops Manticore from using his most deadly skills.

Mommy, my train went swimming in the piano.

Ow! Snap out of it already!

Tra la laaaaa!

About time we finished off the Manticore.

Freshen up!

Something I didn't notice until now, the game actually spits out unique messages for each ailment that gets dispelled. That's a nice touch.

Huh, thought he would be dead by now.

Oh.

Well let's just fix that.

You will soar the skies no longer, Manticore.

DS Version

And that's Manticore! Ailments are the bigger threat rather than Manticore's damage output. It's important to have a way to deal with those, as they can shut down your party.

DS Version

The client apologizes for assuming you to be weak, and admits that alone, he wouldn’t have made it.

Heh, no problem! Say, wanna have a look around the place?

You ask him if he wants to proceed, but he shakes his head with a laugh. You feel you’ve reached new heights as warriors as you acknowledge each other's strength on the way back.

DS Version

Thanks to you, the marines should be able to resume investigations of the forest. Then again, that forest still has some uncharted land. Who knows when another monster will pop up. Of course, you might say the same thing about the ocean. You’ve got to be prepared for anything. Here, take this. The marines found it in the forest. Make use of it if you can.

We get Regroup Tactic as our reward. It's a pretty strong support Limit. What it does is heal everyone at the end of a turn (not the start like the description says) and dispels any existing ailments (but not binds) on the party for 5 turns. And the dispel happens before you take any Poison or Plague damage, so that's also nice. But don't use the skill for the recovery, it's actually pretty terrible. The healing power on the skill is only 30%, the real reason to use it is because of the ailment dispel. Oh and when the buff timer reaches 1, it won't apply its effects, so it really only lasts for 5 turns instead of 6, like most buffs that claim to last for 5 turns.

But here's something to be aware of. Even though it can cure Petrification, if all your party members get Petrified, it counts as a game over! Even if Regroup Tactic is still in effect! So you still have to be careful when facing stuff that can Petrify you.

Anyways, onto the next Sea Quest.

Medical breakthroughs? Sure, let's help with that!

Here are the party members I'll be taking along for this one.

And let's try out our new Limit.

DS Version

The forest is no less dense than before and progress is slow. Your only source of light is a torch. Each time the client finds a rare fruit, they throw a sample of it into their assistant’s bags. As their bags fill, you notice an increasingly odd presence in the air of the forest.

Careful! There's something here!

The odd presence turns into a menacing force, and you draw your weapons in response. Suddenly, the vines and plants begin wriggling as though they are sentient, and attack!

DS Version

Mistletoes? Hmm. Maybe... Nah, I don't think they're a good match.

What's she writing down?

Let's just clear them out.

I thought I had that for sure!

The annoying thing about Mistletoes is that once they take damage, they'll use Life Absorb to recover any HP they lost.

Fortunately, the NPCs will do their best to keep your party topped off.

Hopefully that clears them out.

My stomach is burning.

Feeling kinda woozy here.

Aw crud.

This should take care of ya!

:bang:

Maybe you should spend more time at the shooting gallery.

Arbalists have pretty horrible hit rates with their skills. Fortunately, they do have a skill that helps them deal with their less than stellar accuracy. I'll definitely be picking that up later.

But eventually, I take them down.

DS Version

You sense a powerful and menacing aura, far beyond that of the monsters you just defeated! Strolling in as though mocking your readiness, a gigantic lion with monster-like wings appears! You will not leave this forest without defeating it! You encourage the scared clients and charge!

DS Version

Wait, didn't you kill that monster when you went out here before?

Not really. Monsters we fight out on sea tend to be really durable for some reason.

Speaking of which, I think that shark back in Ayutthaya's still hanging around. We never really killed it from what I remember.

Setting up and trying to recover from the last fight.

Fall back and regroup!

They look so cute together...

Argh. This is why the battle with the Mistletoes can be so annoying. Because they leave you in a really bad position for the Manticore fight.

Unacceptable. How could I fall asleep like that?

Don't worry. It happens to us often.

And there's Regroup Tactic in action. Dispels all existing ailments, and then heals you.

Rise!

Fortunately for us, the NPCs' AI cheat, so they're good at keeping you alive.

And Regroup Tactic dispels sleep on our party members once again. It's a pretty strong Limit in the right situations.

So remember what I said earlier about there being a hole in Manticore's AI? This is it. Regroup Tactic breaks Manticore's AI because in order for Manticore to use Poison Tale, there has to be people inflicted with Sleep. But Regroup Tactic dispels Sleep at the end of every turn, so Manticore is forced to cast Magic Lullaby over and over. Oh, and Charlotte can refresh Regroup Tactic easily since she can build her Limit gauge back up really fast.

However, Sleep will cancel out any Charge effects, so Sidney can't hit him really hard with a Front Mortar. On the other hand, everyone is pretty much building up their Accumulative Resistance to Sleep, so Manticore won't be able to inflict that anymore.

However, remember that this only works while Manticore's HP is above 51%. Once he drops below that, Regroup Tactic won't break his AI anymore, since he'll be randomly casting stuff then.

JUST LET ME SHOOT YOU ALREADY! Geez!

Thanks for standing still! Yeesh.

And now is when Manticore's AI is no longer exploitable. Oh well, the fight's just about over anyways.

:smug:

:saddowns:

Front Mortar is really really strong. Also the 2nd time Manticore barely survived.

Let's fix that.

Another falls.

Kill stealer! :argh:

DS Version

Well that was an easy fight. For the record, that tactic will only work on the first and second Sea Quests, as you can't use 3 people Limits in the 3rd Sea Quest.

DS Version

The monster may be slain, but just getting back to the ship alive will be another ordeal...

Grr. Those Mistletoes took a lot out of supplies. And Manticore showing back up didn't help matters either.

I wonder if we can make it out of this forest safely.

Suddenly the doctors begin to make a concoction out of the fruits they picked and hand you the brew. With a single sip, the exhaustion leaves your body and you feel a surge of energy inside you. Half amazed and half impressed, you guide the doctors back to the ship.

Ahhh. Well that helps a lot. Thanks!

DS Version

Adventurers and doctors aren’t so different, you know. You both risk your lives for noble causes. They must understand that as well. They left this out of their respect for you and your profession.

If you already have that, the Harbormaster says this instead:

You let us deal with the Dark Forest for now. You should head off on your next adventure.

The Harbormaster says the same thing for all the other Sea Quests if you got the equipment reward from them.

The Copper Monacle is kind of a weird accessory. It increases your hit rate by 6, and increases your resistance to Plague by 20%. But nothing can really inflict that while you're in the 4th Stratum, so it's kind of useless at the moment. Anyways, we have one more Sea Quest left to cover.

Sounds like the military needs your help. You should get going.

So let's get right to it. Here's my setup for this one. I put Indomitable on Sidney, because he'll be in a dangerous position throughout the fight. While Faye has Second Wind as her best option.

The forest is no less dense than before and progress is slow. Your only source of light is a torch. Suddenly you hear the fierce cries of battle and the clang of steel! The clients must be in trouble! You reach the rendezvous point to discover the marines surrounded by wriggling tree monsters! There’s no time to hesitate! Draw your weapons and join the battle!

Shoot. They're in trouble already. Let's go!

DS Version

Blah blah, setting up and hoping that things don't go horribly wrong during this fight.

Ibahd will try to cover the whole party with Prevent Order, which will protect them from Poison Seeds.

Now I'm hoping Sidney's strong enough to clear them out with Fire Barrage.

Yer all gonna be kindling by the time I'm through with you!

Ehh, it's not as fun to kill the small fry.

If you're wondering about the damage disparity between the first Mistletoe and the rest of them, that's because Giant Kill wasn't in effect for the first one. Though honestly, the damage penalty will rarely matter. If anything, Giant Kill not being in effect for an attack pretty much means that the enemy is dead, or going to die very soon.

Well, Sidney's probably doomed.

But fortunately for me, the AI also cheats in this Sea Quest.

And I managed to get through that without too much hassle.

DS Version

But just as you’re about to make introductions, everyone stops and turns their gaze to the sky! An enraged, gigantic lion-like monster is floating down slowly from the sky, its wings spread!

Of course. Can't just leave us alone. Nope.

Hey, look at it this way. It's another opportunity where we can beat him down!

You exchange knowing glances with the clients and charge forward to meet the winged menace!

DS Version

While I'm gonna have Faye set up like usual...

I'm gonna have Sidney move to the front and swap places with Doster.

Mmm... Sorry Cassie, but you have to let me die...

Of course I can't set up if Faye falls asleep first. :argh:

Excuse me, mind if I move up here? Thanks!

Oh well. Best I can do is to make sure that Sidney doesn't die.

Who's the tough guy now, huh tough guy?

Well at least he woke Faye up.

Ha! Ya think a dumb lullaby's gonna take me down? Not a chance!

Good thing I had Sidney use Indomitable.

And some good damage from Sidney.

Faye's looking a little low, so I'll heal her up with Second Wind.

Don't try to keep a good girl down!

You don't have to worry too much about Doster, since he can dispel ailments on his own.

Why's my skin turning gra-oh no, not agai-

Now once someone gets Petrified, Manticore will keep casting Petrivoice.

Fortunately, Suvaron managed to Confuse him, so he's gonna be helpless for a few turns.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to bring Faye back to normal.

Once Manticore gets Confused (or inflicted with any other ailment) Suvaron will cast Wolf Howl to weaken him even further.

Phew! Thanks. You know how hard it is to breathe while you're a statue? Like, really hard.

Okay, Sidney needs more TP to cast Front Mortar, so let's just use an Amrita on hi-no no NO I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO THAT!

Hey Sidney, ca-

...Whoops.

Thanks Faye. :geno:

So something annoying about all the Etrian Odyssey games that came out before Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. There's not like a confirmation notice after selecting your last character's action. The moment you input your last character's action is when everything plays out. So this can lead to things like having your last character defend when you meant to select a skill. Fortunately the 3DS games rearranged the menu options to ensure that the chances of that happening are minimal. And EO2U finally added something like that to prevent horrible accidents.

Well that's just insult to injury. For Manticore.

Thanks for standing still, wanker!

DS Version

And that's all the Sea Quests. Now I just need to get the equipment reward from the first one.

DS Version

It seems there are no further threats, so you finally make your introductions to the clients.

We're the Tidehunt guild! Nice to meet you! So, uh, what were you all here for, anyway?

You ask for details of the quest, but the clients only laugh and point at the monster’s corpse. As things finally make sense, the clients assure you that they will be fine. You head back to the ship.

DS Version

The marines’ mission and your quest for Yggdrasil are different, but your warrior hearts are the same. This is your reward from the garrison. You should be able to find some use for it, I hope.

Provides a 20% resistance to both Strike and Volt attacks. Eh, I guess it could be handy for some classes. Oh yeah, Faye got a level up.

Form Qi now gives a 40% boost to healing skills. This will make Protect Order even more bonkers.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 29, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 53: RIP Manticore

Okay, now let's get that equipment reward from the first Sea Quest. Oh, and I'm gonna try to get its conditional drop as well.

So this is the setup I'm gonna use to accomplish that.

DS Version

Oh right, we have to deal with these jerks first.

Last thing I need is Sidney dying on me.

And I definitely do not want Poison Seeds screwing us over for the next fight.

Also gonna try to have Charlotte refill her Limit gauge for the next fight.

Another damage buff.

Let's strategize for a bit.

Ha! No way I'm being taken out by a bunch of trees!

Strike them down!

Au-mosu-atikanu!

I've got you in my sights.

The elephant is a panic button of sorts.

That was a close one!

Stampede!

Ooh, nice. Managed to Confuse 2 of them.

Only I can start forest fires.

If the target has an on-death skill, but gets incapacitated through the use of an ailment, they won't cast it. So that's another way of dealing with them.

Pfft, don't care about the Poison.

Now, for the main attraction.

First things first, I set up as many buffs as possible.

Let's be tactical.

Aim there!

Manticore now has a 1.35 damage multiplier.

Be well!

Hee hee hee!

Sidney, are you sure you're not pouring too much gunpowder into that thing?

Oh, it'll be fine! This is the perfect amount!

And yet you keep pouring.

There's no such thing as being too perfect.

And now a 1.11 damage multiplier.

Bang bang bang!

On top of a 1.3 damage multiplier.

More setup.

Get ready to strike!

And Susan is giving a 1.45 damage multiplier to Sidney.

Oh. Oh this is just perfect. Wolf Howl's damage multiplier just increased from 1.11 to 1.32.:getin:

Hee hee hee. Are ya'll ready for this!?

Is that thing supposed to be shaking so much?

I'm pretty certain that crossbows are NOT supposed to do that.

Charge is now providing a 2.6 multiplier.

Showtime. :getin:

Charlotte, could you hand me that matchstick over there?

Umm, sure. I'm kind of afraid right now. Like, very afraid.

Me too.

Bravants provide a 45% damage boost, so that's another 1.45 multiplier.

And Manticore is still confused, so the bigger damage multiplier from Wolf Howl still applies. So yeah, that's 1.32 * 1.35 * 1.3 * 1.45 * 1.45 = 4.87. Oh wait, can't forget the bonus damage from Giant Kill, which is an additional 1.55 multiplier. So that's a total multiplier of 7.54! Oh, and apply that multiplier to Front Mortar to turn that into a 2880% damage attack! The result?

A very explosive DUNK! This is why Arbalists are my favorite class in EO3.

HOO HOO HOO! You just got dominated!

:stare:

DID YA SEE HOW HE JUST BLEW UP!? HOOOOOWEEEE! His guts just went FLYING everywhere!

...Sidney. You know what overkill is, right?

No, I don't. What's that?

...You're kidding me. It's blah blah blah blah...

IT'S ALL OVER ME! :cry:

There, there, Fang. Let me just clean that off of you... Okay, I think I got his leg off. At least I think that was his leg.

DS Version

Oh, so what you're saying is that I should do that all the time!

NO! That's just being savage! How can you hope to find your significant other with that kind of personality!?

...Wha? Ooh, look! Manticore's horn didn't get blown up! How much you think it'll sell for?

:sigh:

Fang gets a level up, but more important, we got the conditional drop, which was to kill Manticore with an attack that dealt over 5000 damage. Oh, and the killing blow has to deal that much. You can't do it with a skill like Blade Rave and have all those hits add up to 5000. It has to be a single hit, which is why I brought Sidney for this.

DS Version

If one observes their own weakness, perhaps they can find strength within it. It seems he learned that. He seemed a little embarrassed about it, but he left this for you with his gratitude.

And we get a pretty decent club.

Call Snake now summons a snake with a base HP of 74. Its initial attack deals 115% damage, while its AI attack deals 105% damage. And it now has a 44% chance to inflict Arm bind. Let's cash in our drops.

The Kijin Daiou is unlocked from selling the Proboscis, but we also need a drop from a 4th Stratum enemy to buy it.

The Slashed Mail is unlocked by selling the Toxic Leather, but we also need a drop from a 4th Stratum enemy in order to buy it.

However, the Beast's Chain is the Wildling's ultimate armor. And in order to unlock that, we need a drop from an enemy in the 6th Stratum. Also known as the post-game. So we're not gonna be getting that for a long while.

But that's not all I have to show you. Before I forget, there's one more thing I want to show off. But it involves having to reskill Charlotte.

The battle may now continue!

First things first, she needs Morale Boost to get the skill I want. What it does is when the Shogun dies, but gets revived later, all allies on the field will recover some HP. At level 1, it causes everyone to recover 10 HP. A gimmicky passive, and one I don't care for.

And now that I have a point in Morale Boost, I unlock this skill when getting Endure to 1.

I do enjoy the thrill of the kill.

But I mistakenly thought Bloody Lance was required for it, so I wasted a skill point there. Whoops. :downs: Oh well, at least it provides a 10% damage boost every time Charlotte kills something.

Okay, so this skill. It's not one I like at all. What it is is that it's a passive that allows the Shogun to Instantly Kill whatever falls below a certain HP threshold. Oh, and the Instant Death is unresistable. While it can't pierce Instant Death immunities, it doesn't care about resistances at all. For those of you that have played EO1 and 2, this may sound familiar. It's basically a massively nerfed version of the Dark Hunter's Climax skill. What makes this a nerfed skill? Well not only is the HP threshold much lower, but it's not guaranteed to activate even if the target falls below the threshold. Oh, but the kicker? This affects allies as well as enemies. Yeah, that's why I'm not such a big fan of this skill.

I'll end your suffering.

So, Kaishaku (Mercy Kill) will activate if anyone falls below 15%, but it activates 60% of the time. For the record, nothing can directly influence the activation rate. It'll always be 60%, no matter how high the Shogun's stats are. Anyways, the reason I don't like this skill, is because I think there's too much risk to it, while providing very little reward. If your characters fall below 15% but don't die, they can still be saved. But Kaishaku takes away any opportunities to save them. While enemies that fall below 15% will die very soon. Still, I took this skill to show something off.

So this is the shark problem they were having?

Yeah, think you can do something about it?

Namely, the proper way to get Hammerhead's conditional drop. I said before that Call Tiger was an option in order to get it, but if you aren't having any luck with the RNG, you need someone with Kaishaku.

Anyways let's skip to when Hammerhead drops below the threshold.

There we go!

EXECUTE!

The animation for Kaishaku killing something is the same as all instant kill animations.

THE WEAK WILL ALL PERISH! :black101:

I guess that's one way to get rid of a shark.

Ayutthaya Port should be safe from now on.

And that's the proper way to get Hammerhead's conditional if the RNG isn't on your side.

Next time, exploring more of the 4th Stratum.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 13, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ah, Sidney. Not polite. Certainly not efficient. But if there's one thing he has, it's a plan to kill everything he meets.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I'm just a kiiiiid and life is a nightmare~

Oh, cool, this thread's getting a Stabbey_the_Clown of it's own now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

[url=]Video: Manticore[/url]

Also you forgot something important.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 13, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i vaguely recognize the name but i don't remember anything about their posting habits, is that a burn? have i been burnt?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

alcharagia posted:

i vaguely recognize the name but i don't remember anything about their posting habits, is that a burn? have i been burnt?

That's a little bit of earnest praise from some random poster guy. And you can take that to the bank.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Tales of Xillia: The Lost Skits proudly presents:

Of course, Jude. Everyone believes you.

Seriously, I'm genuinely a fan of whiny teenage Olympia.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh! thank you then

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Also you forgot something important.

Argh! :suicide: Fixed that.

Here's the video if you don't want to go fishing through the update for it. (go to 15:23 for the dunk.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

RareAcumen posted:

Seriously, I'm genuinely a fan of whiny teenage Olympia.

Seconding this.

Related to the update, hot drat Manticore got splattered all over the wall by Sidney. That's a little frightening, even if a bit conditional.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

Seconding this.

Related to the update, hot drat Manticore got splattered all over the wall by Sidney. That's a little frightening, even if a bit conditional.

Very satisfying to watch though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 54: Brevity

DS Version

Hey, he wasn't behind us.

Kujura’s wounds have apparently healed, and he stands hale before you, keeping strict watch.

It’s from the old woman of the Senatus. The Amarantos seems to be in the ritual hall deep within.

Where is it located?

On the 15th floor, to be exact. Your objective is to traverse the shrine where the Deep Ones lurk.

After relaying the message, the young man gazes at you with a sardonic grin.

You’ll have to deal with Deep Ones during your journey. You should be used to it now, no?

With this, Kujura begins a slow walk towards the lower regions of the shrine.

I’ll continue my own inquiries and let you know if I find anything. Tread carefully.

Here's another gate switch. We'll be seeing a lot of those on this floor.

As well as a lot of gates.

We're actually trapped in this room until we use this switch.

Uhhh...

Huh? What is it kid?

Look over there.

That's a massive Deep One!

What should we do!?

I'll tell you what we should do. Take it down! :black101:

DS Version

Deep Coistral
Behavior: Chases after you if the gates are open. Gives up if they can't get to you.
Aggressive: Yes.
HP: 2712
TP: 641
STR: 53
VIT: 46
AGI: 43
LUC: 39
TEC: 45
Exp: 18010
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Mithril Shard - 40% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Aymur (Mace. Must be restocked.)
--Shard of a sword made with a forgotten technique.
-Book: Power Book - 1% Drop Rate.
Description: A Deep One that has lived long enough to change drastically. It wields a dreadful sword.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 50% Strike: 50% Pierce: 50% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 10% Confusion: 10% Plague: 122% Poison: 122% Blind: 10% Curse: 10% Paralysis: 122%
Bind Resistances: Head: 25% Arm: 25% Leg: 25%
Other Resistances: Death: IMMUNE Petrification: 10% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Leaping Slash: Uses the Arms. Deals 80% Slash damage to the front row.
Counter: Uses the Arms. A counterattack that deals 115% Almighty damage to whoever attacks it. Has an action speed of +30.
Sea Guillotine: ???

Deep Coistrals are one of the toughest enemies in Stratum. They hit really hard, and are heavily resistant to physicals. Leaping Slash will give your front line a hard time, and Counter will pretty much make you think twice about using multi-hit moves. If you think they're nasty now, they'll get a lot worse later if you let... well, I'll talk about it when the time comes.

Setting up like usual.

Yeah, they dish out a lot of damage.

And can take it too.

Ooh, that's lucky, and very convenient.

You ready for this?

Not sure why I didn't have Scott charge up there in the first place. It's not like head binding it is gonna help us much.

Let's boogie!

Now that's more like it!

Oh dear.

And goodbye Charlotte. She's not going to survive this.

That's nice and all, but...

Counter activates multiple times depending on how many times you attacked him. And counterattacks do not have an accuracy check so...

:gibs:

Yeah. And the worst part is that once his HP drops below 51%, he'll spam Counter very often.

Well, Hanging doesn't hit multiple times, so Scott survived there.

Oh yeah. I'm just that good. :cool:

DS Version

A shame about Charlotte dying, but that went relatively smoothly all things considered.

DS Version

And here are the stairs to the 15th floor! Wow, that was short! See you all next time!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 21, 2016

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So is this one of those gimmicky sections where the two floors are intertwined and you have to go back and forth between them in order to fully map them?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

W.T. Fits posted:

So is this one of those gimmicky sections where the two floors are intertwined and you have to go back and forth between them in order to fully map them?

Nope!

B14F is a massive puzzle that spans the entire floor involving the Deep Coistrels, another FOE, and manipulating them using the gates. Much like what Fetus showed, though, if you just kill the first Deep Coistrel, you can skip the entire floor.

B15F and B16F are the intertwining floors section.
:v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had an idea that might be a pain in the rear end to implement retroactively. Or just stupid in general.

We vote on parties for sea quests and stratums but it'd be cool if we had Fetus Recommended section too to see what you'd suggest for each one.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
e: ignore this

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 15, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I kind of already do that by saying X might be good for dealing with such and such and all that. Besides, EO3 isn't really a hard game if you know what you're doing. For the most part, the classes are fairly strong (after getting subclasses) so you can win with some of the worst parties possible if you're that determined. Granted I probably have an unfair advantage over several other players by knowing about the enemy data and how their AI operates. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The moment I saw the title of the update, I knew exactly what was coming :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well I was hoping to have the next update done by this time, but some technical screw ups caused the file I was writing up the update in to get corrupted. So now I have to rewrite everything. :suicide: At least I don't have to rerecord the gameplay footage. Sorry, everybody.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's cool! I still need to read the last three updates, so this gives me time to catch up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, it's not all bad.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/d/d2/Spy_JarateHit03.wav?t=20100625223656

what god did you make blood sacrifices to for this kind of luck

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll take rewrite the update over lost the footage any day of the week. Congrats on getting rare drops by the way! That'll go a long way towards 100%.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

alcharagia posted:

Oh, and Faye, Asteria, and Cassandra.

Let's Go

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, it's not all bad.

Dr. Fetus has become Commander Video...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I read through this thread over the past week or so, and I have an objection to what seems to be the popular opinion of "Buccaneers are late-bloomers". Not so. If you take just one point in either Lights Out or Quick Draw, then take enough Trickster to overcome the TP cost, you can use them every turn, in every battle. So if you don't like to use Amritas, that makes them the top damage dealers for random battles throughout the entire game. If you max out Trickster and the better damage skill for their weapon type, you can use that in random battles that have more urgent targets, then recover the TP in less dangerous random battles by using your lvl 1 skill. So even a maxed out damage skill can effectively be free when it counts. This strategy works best with guns, because Quick Draw costs 4 TP instead of Lights Out's 6. Maxed out Rapid Fire is cheaper, too, and the higher damage multiplier makes up for guns' lower attack stats. Well, that's true until you get the Jolly Roger. I've heard of someone using a Buccaneer/Ninja to create Kagerou clones just so that they'd die and give TP to other people in the party that subclassed to have Blood Return. His party never ran out of TP.

Secondly, chase skills are kindof bad for the most part, I agree... except for Chase Thrust. It's quite simple to set up a party that has all Thrust weapons. Princess with a rapier, Hoplite with a spear, Buccaneer with a rapier, a second Buccaneer with a gun, and someone else in the back row with a crossbow, either via subclass or by being an Arbalist (I used a Z/A). If the entire party is attacking, a maxed level Chase Thrust can do quite a lot of damage. With the Jolly Roger, it is QUITE good for a good stretch of the game. Unfortunately, Chase Thrust does not trigger Trickster so it's more TP-intensive than other strategies. Plus, if the Hoplite and Princess are doing other things (and they often are), Chase Thrust won't be doing as much.

Also, Rapid Fire does not target multiple enemies. It's a 3-hit attack against one foe. My gun-Buccaneer was one of my best precision damage dealers for like, half the game because of that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

McFrugal posted:

Not so. If you take just one point in either Lights Out or Quick Draw, then take enough Trickster to overcome the TP cost, you can use them every turn, in every battle. So if you don't like to use Amritas, that makes them the top damage dealers for random battles throughout the entire game.

Lights Out does a grand total of 110% damage with one skill point, and Quick Draw does 2 random 70% damage hits. That's not exactly fantastic damage.

quote:

If you max out Trickster and the better damage skill for their weapon type, you can use that in random battles that have more urgent targets, then recover the TP in less dangerous random battles by using your lvl 1 skill. So even a maxed out damage skill can effectively be free when it counts. This strategy works best with guns, because Quick Draw costs 4 TP instead of Lights Out's 6. Maxed out Rapid Fire is cheaper, too, and the higher damage multiplier makes up for guns' lower attack stats. Well, that's true until you get the Jolly Roger.

Except that still requires a not-insignificant point investment, and still isn't that fantastic compared to what other classes can do for clearing random encounters.

quote:

Secondly, chase skills are kindof bad for the most part, I agree... except for Chase Thrust. It's quite simple to set up a party that has all Thrust weapons. Princess with a rapier, Hoplite with a spear, Buccaneer with a rapier, a second Buccaneer with a gun, and someone else in the back row with a crossbow, either via subclass or by being an Arbalist (I used a Z/A). If the entire party is attacking, a maxed level Chase Thrust can do quite a lot of damage. With the Jolly Roger, it is QUITE good for a good stretch of the game. Unfortunately, Chase Thrust does not trigger Trickster so it's more TP-intensive than other strategies. Plus, if the Hoplite and Princess are doing other things (and they often are), Chase Thrust won't be doing as much.

Chase Thrust does 170% damage per chase for a maximum of 7 chases at max level, with a 17% reduction in chase chance per chase. It's a lot of damage if the RNG's on your side, yeah, but why bother for that when you can go for reliable damage options in the early and midgame?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Lights Out does a grand total of 110% damage with one skill point, and Quick Draw does 2 random 70% damage hits. That's not exactly fantastic damage.

Except that still requires a not-insignificant point investment, and still isn't that fantastic compared to what other classes can do for clearing random encounters.

Chase Thrust does 170% damage per chase for a maximum of 7 chases at max level, with a 17% reduction in chase chance per chase. It's a lot of damage if the RNG's on your side, yeah, but why bother for that when you can go for reliable damage options in the early and midgame?

Oh, for some reason I remembered Lights Out as doing 140% at level 1. I guess I was thinking of Quick Draw. With that, you can get free 140% gun damage, split up sure, as early as level 4. Now I remember, my initial party was Princess Hoplite, Buccaneer Arbalist Zodiac, so I was using Quick Draw for free/near-free low level damage then I got Rapid Fire and maxed that for when I needed a burst of damage. Anyway, you can get level 1 Hanging for free 160% rapier attacks at level 8, which is comparable to an Arbalist maxing out Giant Kill.

As for random encounters, sure, other classes CAN use better abilities but can you really spam them every battle without using a couple Amritas every time you go into the dungeon? You can max out Rapid Fire/Hanging and Trickster at level 24, alongside the 1 point in whatever skill you're using to generate TP.

I found Chase Thrust to do at least 3 hits if it had 5 hits to chase. 4 was also likely. If it misses the chance on one attack, it gets another chance to activate with the next attack, so it's more reliable than you'd expect. Also, it's 13% chance reduction at max level, not 17%. So that was like, 520-690% damage? It also worked well against enemies that had Counter attacks, since if Chase Thrust activates it doesn't trigger a counter. Only the attack it triggered off of is countered. That way you can have Hoplites attack and let the Buccaneer chase off of it, and the Hoplites can tank the damage. I had two in that case because of Bunshin.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I haven't really played around with a Gun Buccaneer, so I can't comment too much on that. Using a level 1 Lights Out/Quick Draw to recover 4/6 TP is handy in the first Stratum, but that kind of strategy only becomes available at level 10. And while that is a pretty massive amount to recover in the early game, it gets kind of tedious to grind the Buccaneer's TP back up as the game goes on. Amritas are just far easier to use, and you get access to them in the 2nd Stratum. And that strategy becomes completely obsolete in the post-game. As far as the early game goes, unfortunately they just don't compare that well to Ninjas, who are pretty much the kings at that point. Along with Zodiacs. They can be effective early and mid, but they don't look good compared to their competition at those points.

Chaser abilities do have a couple of quirks you can take advantage of, but I don't find them worth using compared to Pincushion (And that's not even getting into Warrior Might.) For some reason, they aren't coded as damage abilities, they're considered to be support skills. So they don't benefit from stuff like Charge or Trickster. The other thing I don't like about Chasers is that they require your entire party to be attacking or using offensive skills to get the most out of them. In certain fights, I find it important for the supports to be supporting most of the time. Granted with certain setups, you probably won't to do that, but it's not a playstyle I like to go with in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

[i]We get Regroup Tactic as our reward. It's a pretty strong support Limit. What it does is heal everyone at the end of a turn (not the start like the description says) and dispels any existing ailments (but not binds) on the party for 5 turns. And the dispel happens before you take any Poison or Plague damage, so that's also nice. But don't use the skill for the recovery, it's actually pretty terrible. The healing power on the skill is only 30%, the real reason to use it is because of the ailment dispel. Oh and when the buff timer reaches 1, it won't apply its effects, so it really only lasts for 5 turns.

I think you meant 4 turns.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think you meant 4 turns.

No, it's 5. The turn you cast it on, plus the 4 turns afterwards. I'll change the wording to be more clear, though.

In other news, I finally found my EO3 cart, so I can test out things easier now! Hmm? The update? Uhhh, no idea when that's coming out. Especially since I decided to do a really herculean task for something else. :suicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oops. My mistake.

At least you have no more games to worry about after this one. :)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oops. My mistake.

At least you have no more games to worry about after this one. :)

EO1 since pretty much EVERY LP of it thus far has disappeared under the murky depths of the archives.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm sure it'll get done eventually. It's not too bad of a game to get back to, even after playing all the other EOs, but making SSLPs is hard and you're crazy if you do them!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Crosspeice posted:

I'm sure it'll get done eventually. It's not too bad of a game to get back to, even after playing all the other EOs, but making SSLPs is hard and you're crazy if you do them!

What'd drive me crazy with EO1 after a while is the fact that bosses just have rare drops instead of conditionals. Grinding for those on an emulator is already kind of a pain, grinding for them on cartridge is even worse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ragnar Homsar posted:

What'd drive me crazy with EO1 after a while is the fact that bosses just have rare drops instead of conditionals. Grinding for those on an emulator is already kind of a pain, grinding for them on cartridge is even worse.

There's an action replay code that makes all drops guaranteed, checking if you qualify for any of the conditionals. I know there is for EO3 at least, but I can't imagine there's not one for EO1.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yep, if I remember right, you can hold down a directional key to choose which drop you get, common, rare, conditional, or none at all. I'm perfectly happy to cheat and poo poo if it just helps cut out the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wait wait wait. You skipped the whole 14th floor? Just like that? Really?

How did you even get Missy's requests done?

Yes! Your story is nonsense!

Uhhh...

I apologize on behalf of Rose, Sir Faye. And everyone else listening. By the way, thanks for killing me off. I really appreciated that. :mad: That's not actually what happened. What actually happened was...

Update 54 and a Half: Okay, Not That Brief

DS Version

Uhhh... RUUUUUUN!

We can go through that gate over there!

Um, it didn't close! Now what!?

Keep running!

He's getting close!

There's another gate! Let's hope that one works!

Ha! Looks like it did! He doesn't look too pleased about it either, ha ha!

Ha ha, yeah! ...Y'know, I wonder if we could have taken him.

Look at the size of that Deep One, Rose. I doubt that's a good idea.

You didn't think I would actually just skip an entire floor, did you? Nah, I'll show you the proper way to do things. And yes, killing that FOE allows you to go straight to the 15th floor, skipping everything this floor has to throw at you.

Anyways the gimmick for this floor are those FOEs. You want to lure them into those rooms, and go through a gate to trap them.

DS Version

Ptarmigan
HP: 496
TP: 141
STR: 37
VIT: 29
AGI: 34
LUC: 31
TEC: 38
Exp: 1533
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Gold Carnucle - 35% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Dirk (Dagger), Brave Bracers (Gloves), and Kijin Daiou (Katana. Must be restocked.) 10 needed for Storm Amulet. (Accessory.)
--Decorative Ptarmigan feather with an electric charge.
Description: A bird with vestigial wings. Beware its cute gestures meant to catch prey off guard.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 25% Curse: Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Ominous Step: Uses the Legs. Lowers the entire party's physical attack by 50%.

Ptarmigans aren't much to talk about. They mainly serve as a nuisance in battle with Ominous Step. You can counteract that by setting up an attack buff beforehand. But they should probably be taken out first unless you want battles to slow to a crawl.

Aww. How adorable-HEY!

...Really? He just did that?

Ugh. Never trust a bird or a... penguin thing... Y'know, I can't tell what that is.

Don't you dare try to hinder my loyal subjects!

Okay, now let's take them out before they-

Wait, no! NO! NO! I forgot to change Charlotte's skill build back! :gonk:

My blade could use a new shade of red!

Ohhhh, not good. While Kaishaku cuts down on how long random encounters last just a tiny bit, it greatly puts my party at risk.

Fortunately, nothing much happened in that fight.

This shortcut will let you skip all that nonsense with the Deep Coistral.

And here's another enemy, though one we encountered last floor.

Silverback
HP: 508
TP: 142
STR: 42
VIT: 37
AGI: 32
LUC: 29
TEC: 36
Exp: 1586
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Silver Snakeskin - 30% Drop Rate. 1 needed for War Greaves (Boots), Death Magatama (Accessory), and Origin Tablets (Book. Must be restocked.) 3 needed for Kite Shield (Shield.)
--It shines so brilliantly as to be irresistible.
-Drop 2: Crushing Fang - 10% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Wakizashi (Katana.) 5 needed for Colichemarde (Rapier.)
--Shatters its prey’s bones, preventing them from moving.
Description: A beautiful, white snake with a noble bearing that dwells in the Shrine. Its sharp fangs are lethal.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 25% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 25% Leg: 25%

Skills:

Chomp: Uses the Head. Deals 150% Strike damage to a single target.

Silverbacks are also nothing remarkable. They hit fairly hard, and that's about it.

I'LL SLICE YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A PILE OF RIBBONS!

Charlotte, stop! It's already dead! :cry:

...O-oh. I-I was just making sure. Mmhmm...

Those things are mostly trash mobs.

DS Version

There's a switch to raise those gates.

What are those fish people doing?

Hmm. They appear to be gathered around at that silver ring for some reason.

Should we go after it?

Silently observing the beasts, you notice a silvery object at their feet. You hesitate to enter battle with them, but the object on the floor has piqued your curiosity. You weigh the risk against the potential reward before making your decision...

This is another class event. If you sneak up and take it without a Ninja in the party:

You decide to move very carefully and quietly toward the shining object on the floor... But your attempts at stealth were for naught against the monsters’ keen hearing! You are left with no choice but to face the monsters who even now bare their fangs at you!

Oh carp.

You then get blindsided. But if you choose that option with a Ninja in the party:

Do not worry. For I will get it.

Upon your decision to sneak up to the object, Akatsuki volunteers to apply ninja expertise to it. After confirming that none of the rest of the party objects, Akatsuki suddenly disappears! Akatsuki snatches up the shining object and returns, quick as lightning.

They blinked, and they missed me.

Um. I wasn't with you when you were exploring the 14th floor.

Yes, but you could have gotten that if you were, right?

Hmm... I guess I could ha-HEY! Quit embellishing the story and tell us what really happened!

Fine, fine. We actually took a more... brutal approach.

Take it by force:

Since the monsters haven’t noticed you yet, you may be able to ambush them... You nod firmly to yourself, draw your weapons, and charge at the monsters with your best war cry!

IT'S FILLETING TIME! :black101:

These monsters are actually from the next floor. I'd tell you more about them, but...

I killed them before they could really do anything.

Before you can catch your breath, the monsters growl and fall upon you!

Ugh, again?

BRING IT! :black101:

And there's another monster from the next floor. But like last time...

They died before they could really do anything.

Just what is this for?

Doesn't look like anything you can wear. The size is too... off for that.

Guess we better save it for later. Maybe we can pawn it off to Edie.

I don't know if it's worth that much. Besides, I don't trust her to give us something worthwhile after that scamming attempt.

Fine. We'll keep it.

Why don't we have anymore tents?

Oh, Faye stopped buying anymore of them after Edie started price gouging for those. Tch.

Besides, I don't think camping out does much for us anymore. We're tough enough to survive in here without taking any breaks.

There's another camping site in here, but I'm not gonna make anymore use of these. Tents don't really recover that much at this point, and they're a waste of inventory space.

If the gate is open, you can close it if you walk this way. If you care about that for some reason. I don't know why this gate is here, to be honest.

It's a giant fish lady this time!

Yeah, we can see that, kid.

Even if we open these gates, she'll just go after us.

Ooh! I saw another gate earlier. Maybe there's a 3rd one in the room?

Yes! Maybe we can trap her in here, like with that other one!

Before you do that, why don't we have a look around? There's still more to this area.

DS Version

Oh, that's just cold!

Otherspawn
HP: 424
TP: 143
STR: 34
VIT: 35
AGI: 28
TEC: 41
Exp: 1077
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Dryad Liquid - 30% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Sleep Gas (Item), and Slashed Mail (Light Armor.) 2 needed for Crown Hat (Helmet.) 3 needed for Katzbalger (Sword.)
--Odd fluid that changes hue at the water spirit’s whim.
-Drop 2: Flame Fruit - 20% Drop Rate. See 3rd Stratum Take Point info for more details.
-Gold: Dryad Statue - Kill with Ice. 90% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Ice Cannon (Gun.)
--Beautifully preserved ice sculpture.
Description: Minion of evil dwelling in the undersea shrine. It summons winds that erode resistance to ice.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 50% Ice: IMMUNE Volt: 200%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 122%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%

Skills:

Ice Burn: Uses the Head. Lowers the party's resistance to Ice attacks.
Summon: Does not use a body part. Summons another Otherspawn.

These things are basically support monsters. They don't do much other than lowering your party's resistance to Ice attacks and summoning more Otherspawns. But if you let too many Otherspawns enter battle, bad things happen. What bad things? I'll show you later.

What are those things? They don't look like anything from this world.

Maybe they're related to the Deep Ones, somehow?

Maybe.

But for the most part, Otherspawns don't do much.

DS Version

F2 Mine Point:
Red Jasper: 20% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Brave Bracers (Gloves.)
-Jewel valued as a good luck charm for warding off evil.
Serpentinite: 80% Gather Rate. 1 needed for War Greaves (Boots.) 5 needed for Witch Drawers (Clothes.)
-The patterns on this rock resemble a snake’s trail.
Memimorphite: Rare. 1 needed for Frost Amulet (Accessory.) 3 needed for Rainbow Shield (Shield.)
-Changes color when viewed from different angles.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 12.
Rare Gather Periods: 1 to 4.

Ready?

Ready!

RUN!

Wait for her to get closer!

Now!

Huh. That actually went smoothly. Okay, now let's-

...Move onto the next room.

Uhh...

Can't we just open the gates again?

But that would mean freeing the Deep One.

Well, we're closer to this gate than that Deep One is. If we're fast enough, we could go through before she catches up to us.

Okay, MOVE IT!

Woo! See, what'd I tell you?

Ugh. I just wonder how many more times we'll have to do this.

And here's a shortcut to skip that little puzzle.

DS Version

Oh, let me just show you what makes Otherspawns so dangerous.

Otherspawns will try to summon more Otherspawns.

Once 3 of them are in the fight, something very very bad will happen.

Sacrifice: Limit Skill. Requires 3 Otherspawns. Does not use a body part. The Otherspawns sacrifice themselves to summon a Deep Coistral or a Deep Prelate.

GIANT FISH LADY!

AAAAHHHHHH!

I'm going to say this right now. This party does not stand a chance against her. Maybe if we had Faye or Cassandra with us, we could take her, but as it stands, our best option is to run.

Aw shoot, I can't see a way out!

Same here! Ohhh, what do we do?

:supaburn:

And this is why I don't want to fight them. If the party was at a lower level, they would have been vaporized.

I think we may be trapped!

Hrm... No we're not! Follow me!

DS Version

Another gate switch.

Hmm.

What do you know, another Deep One.

Think she'll be as gullible as the last one?

Hopefully!

Yo, fish lady! Cage match! You and me! Let's do this!

Actually, you know what? I changed my mind. Sorry girl. Maybe next time.

I think we better run fast! She looks like she really wants to fight with you!

Too slow! Ohoho!

And now we can skip that puzzle as well on future visits.

Oddly enough, the FOEs on this floor won't go after you at all until the gates are open. Even if you're right next to them.

Another gate switch.

But here's a secret passage that we can go through!

DS Version

Sauroposeidon
HP: 880
TP: 144
STR: 47
VIT: 39
AGI: 31
LUC: 31
TEC: 26
Exp: 3428
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Monster Bone - 70% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Curved Bone (Mace.) 2 needed for Shamshir (Sword.) 5 needed for Bravant (Item.)
--A femur strong enough to support the Sauroposeidon.
Description: An herbivore known for its long neck. It is extremely defensive and will attack unprovoked.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 100% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 122% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 25% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Great Spike: Uses the Legs. Deals 150% Pierce damage to a single target. Adjacent targets take splash damage. (70% of what the intended target took.)

Sauroposeidons are one of the strongest monsters in the Stratum, though not as strong as the Big Snakehead. They can hit really hard, but they don't use Great Spike too often, unless you're on a later floor. You'll want to kill enough of them to unlock the Bravant, as that's a really good consumable item.

I'll make sure you all go extinct again!

But most of the time, they show up alone or with trash mobs, so they're not a super big threat.

DS Version

Has a 27% chance to inflict Stun. Meh.

Well, money is always nice to come by.

I believe this is where that man said he found some treasure.

Then let's start looking!

You recall the request you accepted to find an antique for a collector... These ruins are centuries old. You may be able to find something here for him. You climb the mountain of rubbish and begin digging through it.

Ooh! How about this?

Susa lets out a shout! It seems that Susan has found something!

You can take this statue back and turn it in, or try searching for something else.

If we take the statue...

You carefully wrap the statue in a cloth and put it in your backpack. You have obtained the item requested by the client! Take it to the bar.

But we won't because this doesn't net us the best reward.

I dunno if this is something he wants.

Yeah, didn't Edie say that he bought a candlestick from her?

Hmm, you're right. Oh well, back into the pile!

You may find a more appropriate item in a different pile. You toss the item you found back onto the heap and begin looking again.

Aha! Found something!

If we take it with us:

But once again, it's not what we need.

That's not a candlestick.

Oh well.

Here we... go?

Like with the other treasures, we could take it with us, but we won't get the best reward for coming back with this.

I found a candlestick!

Heh. Nice going, kid!

This is what we need to get the best reward, so let's take it.

Whoa whoa whoa! What's going on here!?

I believe we had a request about this.

...They don’t seem to want to attack you, but they are not moving from their positions. You remember the request you accepted to stop the statues from appearing... It seems whatever device is summoning them is reacting to intruders. You are free to search for a way to stop the statues from appearing, or you can leave.

What should we do about them?

Let's just smash them! They don't look too durable.

Is violence your answer to everything?

Pfft, when has violence not solved a problem?

I can think of a few times.

Tch, whatever. CHAAAAARGE! :black101:

DS Version

Pincer Statue
HP: 1044
TP: 400
STR: 42
VIT: 45
AGI: 29
TEC: 42
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 1595
Item Drops: N/A
Description: N/A
Damage Resistances: Slash: 50% Strike: 150% Pierce: 50% Fire: 100% Ice: 150% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 25% Confusion: 100% Plague: IMMUNE Poison: IMMUNE Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 122% Arm: 122% Leg: 122%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: IMMUNE Stun: 50%

Skills:

Fireball: Uses the Head. Deals 100% Fire damage to a single target.

You're not actually supposed to fight these things, so they don't have any drops or a codex entry. They're just a stronger version of a regular enemy you can fight later. They're not too much of a threat if you do choose to fight them, but it won't do you much good.

They're just a beefed up random encounter, so I'm not going into too much detail on how to take them down. Besides, there's no benefit to fighting them.

See? What did I-

DS Version

Wait, what?

Like right now.

I guess violence wasn't the solution there.

Hmm? There's something on the front of this statue.

Huh. Hey, it looks like they all have some sort of marking on them!

I suppose we better check the statues, then.

I wonder what this all means.

Hey! There's something on the pillar here!

Those are the same symbols that are on those statues.

Hmm. I'll move the top switch for now.

It seems this switch makes nearby statues disappear.

What does the other switch do?

It seems this switch controls not only statues’ appearances, but disappearances as well. You will have to think hard about what order to move the switches in...

The solution to this puzzle is actually really simple.

A solemn silence fills the undersea shrine once again... You have accomplished the request! Go back to the bar to report your success.

Problem solved!

Just flip all the switches that isn't the X. All that switch does is reset the puzzle. The order you flip all the other switches in doesn't matter at all. Now that the statues are gone, let's check out the rest of the room.

A6 Mine Point:
Red Jasper: 40% Gather Rate.
Serpentinite: 60% Gather Rate.
Memimorphite: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 9.
Rare Gather Periods: 2 to 5.

Yeah, there's a 2nd campsite on the floor. It's kind of long and you do have to do the whole thing in one go since there aren't any huge shortcuts.

Crap!

What's wrong, Roooohh no.

You look to see Rose standing paralyzed with fear, one foot extended forward oddly. Examining Rose’s position, you see that the stone floor is sinking in suspiciously... It appears to be a trap of some kind, but that won’t be certain unless you step directly onto it.

Someone mind telling me what the hell I should do?

This is a class specific event. If you have a Ninja in the party, the text for this event changes a bit.

Ah, that is safe to step on, Miss Rose. It is not a trap at all.

Just then, the ninja Akatsuki speaks up and explains that the apparent trap is completely safe. If you trust Akatsuki’s words, you may test the trap yourself by stepping directly onto it...

Alternatively, if the event happens to have your Ninja be the one stepping on the trap...

As you proceed through the solemn temple, Akatsuki abruptly stops. Examining Akatsuki’s position, you see that the stone floor is sinking in suspiciously... The ninja Akatsuki ponders for a moment, and then nods before suddenly stepping onto the stone! A thunderous sound of scraping stones echoes and the ruins tremble about you!

What the heck was that?

You look nervously around, but Akatsuki only smiles calmly as a medicine bottle suddenly appears. You are baffled by the overly theatrical device, but grateful for the medicine bottle.

An overly theatrical delivery system.

...Do you have like a, thing, for Akatsuki or something?

No. I'm just... somewhat fascinated by Ninjas. Besides, I could never tear him away from-

Just get on with it!

Ah! Sorry! Okay then...

Step bravely onto the stone:

Here goes...

Rose braces for the worst and steps onto the stone floor! A thunderous sound of scraping stones echoes and the ruins tremble about you! You immediately draw your weapons and raise your guard, but as time passes, nothing seems to happen. Eventually, you notice a bottle of medicine near Rose’s foot that wasn’t there before. You are baffled by the overly theatrical device, but grateful for the medicine bottle.

Overdramatic, much?

And then you get an Amrita II. If you slowly lift your foot off:

Rose gulps and carefully steps away from the stone, but nothing seems to happen. You sigh with relief before returning to your adventure, now more cautious of your footing.

If you keep waiting:

Rose decides to wait to see what happens....... But nothing happens!

But this also has a chance of happening if you pick that option:

Rose decides to wait to see what happens....... Suddenly, Rose raises one foot from the stone floor and begins to roll around in pain!

MY LEG! AAAUU-

Stop your embellishments and tell us the truth!

No, uh... that's actually what happened.

Oh. Go on then.

UUGGGGHHH!

You and the others rush over to Rose’s aid, but it turns out to be a mere foot cramp.

Rose recovers 60 HP!

That's an in-game typo, by the way. You actually lose 60 HP from that.

The other members lend Rose their shoulders and you return to your adventure with heavy hearts.

Another gate switch.

Okay, here's what we'll do. We'll lure that Deep One into this cage, and go on from there.

Uhh, we might need a change of plans.

Mmm, we can still do this!

Cozy in there, isn't it? :smug:

Nice! Now we'll just open the gates and go on through to the south.

I don't think we can do that. Look at the map. The switch is all the way up there, but the Deep One is really close to the southern gate. I don't think we can make it to that gate from there.

So, what do we do?

Hang on, it looks like there's a path to the west. We could try going that way instead.

It's worth a shot! Go!

Oh for the love of-

Let's just get this over with.

Here's a one way shortcut in case you mess up this next puzzle.

Uh oh. We're in the middle of the map, and uhh...

Son of a- talk about being in the lions' den!

There's no random encounters in this room at all, so take as much time as you need to figure out what you need to do.

Figure anything out?

Maybe.

I sure hope this works!

What if it doesn't!? What if we get trapped!?

...We have an Ariadne Thread.

Oh, right.

Good, two of them are heading for the same gate.

So that leaves an exit for us!

Woohoo! We did it!

High fives all around!

Ha ha! Yo, fish people! I suggest getting comfortable, because who knows how long you'll be stuck in there!

Hmm, why do the gates close when we go through them, but not when the Deep Ones do?

...You know, that is a good question. Come to think of it, they didn't close for those gigantic walruses on the last floor too.

Magic?

...I guess that's a good explanation as any.

Here's a shortcut I missed, earlier.

And another one so we don't have to go through all that again.

But now we're done with this floor! For real, this time!

Huh, you know, if we just took out the big fish guy from earlier, we could have skipped the whole floor.

Well, what you know? Oh well, I dunno if we could have taken him.

We probably could have, but eh, whatever.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread