Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

jon joe posted:

Looking for a book or short story collection with good flowery prose, trying to get a handle on that style for my own writing. Preferably fantasy, adventure, or suspense/thriller.

Very Best of Charles de Lint? I'm not sure if it counts as flowery but if nothing else he has some unique ideas. http://www.amazon.com/The-Very-Best-Charles-Lint/dp/1892391961

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

jon joe posted:

Looking for a book or short story collection with good flowery prose, trying to get a handle on that style for my own writing. Preferably fantasy, adventure, or suspense/thriller.

Anything by Jack Vance. He has an unique style that's a lot harder to imitate than it looks. Although Matthew Hughes does a pretty good Vancian style as well.

Tanith Lee might also suit you.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

jon joe posted:

Depending on your definition of flowery prose (or even, by some occult hand, purple prose), you could try Marcel Prousts Pleasures and Regrets, though it's neither fantasy, thriller, suspense nor adventure.

Sample phrase: "In the garden of the Tuileries, the sun this morning fell asleep on each of the stone steps one after another, like a blond boy whose light slumber a passing shadow at once disturbs."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'd like a Vonnegut recommendation please. I've read Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Slapstick, Bluebeard, and Player Piano. I love them all but if I had to pick a favorite it'd be Cat's Cradle.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

alnilam posted:

I'd like a Vonnegut recommendation please. I've read Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Slapstick, Bluebeard, and Player Piano. I love them all but if I had to pick a favorite it'd be Cat's Cradle.

Breakfast of Champions is the big one you're missing

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Breakfast of Champions is the big one you're missing

Thank you! Requested from the library

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm looking for the Divine Comedy for my kindle e-reader, but the ones I've found on amazon all seem to have problems with the formatting and broken link. Do any of you have a tip as to a good version?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

jon joe posted:

The Worm Ouroboros

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just signed up for Goodreads to see what the cold unfeeling machine thinks I should read next. It spat a whole bunch of recommendations at me which I have heard nothing about; I trust Big Data and everything but I thought I'd ask some randos on a website I use to vet them for me. I like horrible genre-fiction series (most recently I loved the poo poo out of the first three books of the Gentlemen Bastards books) so I picked a few out of Goodreads' rankings that seemed interesting from their descriptions and had decent ratings; which of these series is most worth my time? Alternately, do they all suck? Thanks!

Temeraire series, Naomi Novik
Silo series, Hugh Howey
Expanse series, James S.A. Corey
The First Law series, Joe Abercrombie
Elantris series, Brandon Sanderson (I enjoyed Mistborn despite myself so this one might have an edge atm)
Night Angel series, Brent Weeks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

Do you think she'd dig on some Gangs Of New York era New York city crime solving? The Alienist is a really awesome book I've read recently. It's fictional, but based on a lot of fact and grounded in reality.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

In a similar vein to the guy above me, The Axeman's Jazz is a novel based on the real life serial killings in 1919 New Orleans. I really enjoyed it, it's really evocative.

prinneh posted:

I don't read much true crime, but picked up people who eat darkness from a common room in a hostel once in Japan and enjoyed it, otherwise an ex of mine loved midnight in peking by paul french. First book is pretty heavy on Japan, second book is pretty heavy on Beijing just after the boxer invasion, but both had some rather gruesome murder details, which is what I suspect people look for in these books :)

Depending on which country, I usually pick up either an old travelogue or, failing that, a social history book, and a novel set in and about the place I'm going. Books with a strong sense of place are really quite fun to read when you find yourself whereever it is they take place. Just another gift idea, because Christmas is just around the corner too :)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm looking them all up now - they look good!

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The First Law series is very good, if you don't want to start a trilogy to see if you like the world, perhaps try Best Served Cold. It's like Kill Bill set in the same grimdark fantasy world as The First Law.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

loquacius posted:

Just signed up for Goodreads to see what the cold unfeeling machine thinks I should read next. It spat a whole bunch of recommendations at me which I have heard nothing about; I trust Big Data and everything but I thought I'd ask some randos on a website I use to vet them for me. I like horrible genre-fiction series (most recently I loved the poo poo out of the first three books of the Gentlemen Bastards books) so I picked a few out of Goodreads' rankings that seemed interesting from their descriptions and had decent ratings; which of these series is most worth my time? Alternately, do they all suck? Thanks!

Temeraire series, Naomi Novik
Silo series, Hugh Howey
Expanse series, James S.A. Corey
Elantris series, Brandon Sanderson (I enjoyed Mistborn despite myself so this one might have an edge atm)

Temeraire is decent. It's Napoleonic fantasy adventure -- basically, Horatio Hornblower with dragons instead of ships. The quality drops off after the third book or so, though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, I think Goodreads suggested it because I read Leviathan. I'll take a closer look into those series, thanks guys :)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Selachian posted:

Temeraire is decent. It's Napoleonic fantasy adventure -- basically, Horatio Hornblower with dragons instead of ships. The quality drops off a loving cliff and dies after the third book.

FTFY

Also, I'm in the goon minority, but I hate the First Law series.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 8, 2018

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

The Worm Ouroboros

An excellent choice! I also liked a few of A. Merritt's books (The Moon-Pool, The Metal Monster, and The Face In the Abyss). Also, too, anything by Lord Dunsany. Anything at all, but especially Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, it's time to request some dad books again - fiction, please. Stuff he has read and enjoyed recently includes Lee Child and Bernard Cornwell's works, The Martian, Rivers of London, and Leviathan Wakes. Sci-fi/fantasy is less familiar territory for him, so I have better odds of finding stuff he hasn't read in those genres, but if you have any good advice for thrillers and historical adventure, I'd be happy to hear it (yes, I've tried him on Guy Gavriel Kay, with broadly positive results).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, it's time to request some dad books again - fiction, please. Stuff he has read and enjoyed recently includes Lee Child and Bernard Cornwell's works, The Martian, Rivers of London, and Leviathan Wakes. Sci-fi/fantasy is less familiar territory for him, so I have better odds of finding stuff he hasn't read in those genres, but if you have any good advice for thrillers and historical adventure, I'd be happy to hear it (yes, I've tried him on Guy Gavriel Kay, with broadly positive results).

If he likes Cornwell he might like George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman books, which are similar military historical adventures (except, unlike Cornwell's heroes, Flashman is a rotten coward, liar, and generally entertaining rear end in a top hat).

Conversely, if he likes Child and Rivers of London, he might like the Harry Dresden or Repairman Jack books.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

First Law has a meta-dimension that you'll probably enjoy since you like genre fiction.

I'm a huge loving pseudo-intellectual hipster and former Homestuck so this is great news, thanks :tipshat:

ftr I got a few chapters into First Law before bed last night and it's great so far

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Slso since I don't post in TBB often I might as well add that Gentlemen of the Road (the current BOTM) is awesome and I plowed through it in a couple days so there's no excuse to not read it. There is basically no other cultural exposure of Eastern-Roman-Empire-era Western Asia in general or Khazaria in particular, so the setting was new and interesting, and because it's Michael Chabon there's some discussion of LGBTQ issues worked in there too without seeming heavy-handed or preachy. 10/10, least depressing Chabon book I ever read.

e: VVV I did not know that was how this forum even worked, thx VVV

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 17, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

loquacius posted:

Slso since I don't post in TBB often I might as well add that Gentlemen of the Road (the current BOTM) is awesome and I plowed through it in a couple days so there's no excuse to not read it. There is basically no other cultural exposure of Eastern-Roman-Empire-era Western Asia in general or Khazaria in particular, so the setting was new and interesting, and because it's Michael Chabon there's some discussion of LGBTQ issues worked in there too without seeming heavy-handed or preachy. 10/10, least depressing Chabon book I ever read.

So post that in the book club thread bro

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I'm a huge loving pseudo-intellectual hipster and former Homestuck so this is great news, thanks :tipshat:

ftr I got a few chapters into First Law before bed last night and it's great so far

Not "meta" as in breaking the fourth wall, but just implicitly attacking fantasy conventions.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

alnilam posted:

Thank you! Requested from the library

Just as an alternate, I thought BoC was pretty boring but Galapagos I liked and I'd put behind Slaughterhouse V and Cat's Cradle. I haven't read the others in your post though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Selachian posted:

If he likes Cornwell he might like George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman books, which are similar military historical adventures (except, unlike Cornwell's heroes, Flashman is a rotten coward, liar, and generally entertaining rear end in a top hat).

Conversely, if he likes Child and Rivers of London, he might like the Harry Dresden or Repairman Jack books.

Appreciate the advice, but I thought that the Flashman series might be a slightly hard sell due to how thoroughly awful the MC is, and I was hoping for something slightly up-market from the Dresden files. Any other suggestions, please?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How about China Miéville? He's written some fantastic sci-fi. Perdido Street Station for example, or The City & The City would be good to start with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

Just as an alternate, I thought BoC was pretty boring

Pistols at dawn mother fucker

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

How about China Miéville? He's written some fantastic sci-fi. Perdido Street Station for example, or The City & The City would be good to start with.

Sorry already given that a shot. And Joe Abercrombie. I think he liked them, but didn't love them.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry already given that a shot. And Joe Abercrombie. I think he liked them, but didn't love them.

Ok, well as a not sci-fi suggestion, how about le Carré?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pistols at dawn mother fucker

I'll give this to you, it was my first Vonnegut and I was like 14.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Appreciate the advice, but I thought that the Flashman series might be a slightly hard sell due to how thoroughly awful the MC is, and I was hoping for something slightly up-market from the Dresden files. Any other suggestions, please?

Flashman's an easy pitch. It's Blackadder with a bit of James Bond mixed in. Maybe you could put him onto Arthur Conan Doyle's Brigadier Gerard stories, which are about the adventures of a French Lord Flashheart type in the Napoleonic wars. They're very Flashman-esque, though not as dark. Tracking down a physical copy might be hard since they've gone out of print but they're easy and free to get from Gutenberg. Then if he likes those, recommend him Flashy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ok, well as a not sci-fi suggestion, how about le Carré?

Too obvious, sorry. He's read those.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Flashman's an easy pitch. It's Blackadder with a bit of James Bond mixed in. Maybe you could put him onto Arthur Conan Doyle's Brigadier Gerard stories, which are about the adventures of a French Lord Flashheart type in the Napoleonic wars. They're very Flashman-esque, though not as dark. Tracking down a physical copy might be hard since they've gone out of print but they're easy and free to get from Gutenberg. Then if he likes those, recommend him Flashy.

Blackadder isn't a literal rapist, though, and his negative traits tend to be portrayed as far more funny than loathsome. Might give the Brigadier books a go, though.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Zesty Mordant posted:

I'll give this to you, it was my first Vonnegut and I was like 14.

I'd put BoC in the essentials list, but probably behind Galapagos. I also think Mother Night is horrendously underrated.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I also think Mother Night is horrendously underrated.

So it goes lol

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Too obvious, sorry. He's read those.

Blackadder isn't a literal rapist, though, and his negative traits tend to be portrayed as far more funny than loathsome. Might give the Brigadier books a go, though.

I totally agree about Flashman, I get that he's supposed to be awful, but I just couldn't get past how thoroughly vile and awful he was.

Ok, back to you Dad. Would he like James Lee Burke? The Dave Robicheaux books are very good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If Flashman is out, how about Patrick O'Brian? Depends on his tolerance for obscure nautical terminology, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Selachian posted:

If Flashman is out, how about Patrick O'Brian? Depends on his tolerance for obscure nautical terminology, of course.

Sorry, already devoured. Though that may help you further calibrate the sort of books he's interested in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frederick Forsyth?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry, already devoured. Though that may help you further calibrate the sort of books he's interested in.

How about some writers who play in similar waters, then? Has he tried Hornblower? There's also Alexander Kent's Bolitho books or Dudley Pope's Ramage books in the same Age-of-Sail-adventure line.

One other possibility if you want to try something a bit different: Arturo Perez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste books, which are about a swashbuckling mercenary soldier in 17th-century Spain. Alatriste is a bit morally gray, but he's nowhere near as bad as Flashman.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Honestly, Flashman is only offputtingly reprehensible in the first book and in the slavery instalment, the character is toned down a lot as the series progresses.

What about Stephenson's Baroque Cycle or, if he wants to read a contemporary shooty-shoot bang bang book, Reamde?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

First Law is really good, though imo it doesn't really completely shine until the 2nd/3rd book when you realize what's going on. His standalone books are amazing and even better than First Law so check them out. Best Served Cold is one of my favorites but Heroes and Red Country are also really good.

Elantris is/has getting a re-release since it was like one of his first books so it's a little rough, so make sure to go for the re-release. Maybe instead, I'd say maybe start his Stormlight series and read some of his shorts like Perfect State, Rithmatist, and Emperor's Soul first, since, y'know, they're short and good.

I really like Night Angel series but it's sort of male wish-fulfillment super-assassin power-fantasy. Sort of like Dresden is though even more so. I really enjoyed it though I admit it's "trashy" in that respect, but it "feels good man". I'd also through a similar series like Powder Mage trilogy there which is very Sanderson-esque (I think he was one of his students or friends). It's pretty neat in that it starts with a Coup and just escalates. It definitely has flaws, especially some some latter character/subplot issues, but does a good mix conflicting powers with decent characters: Sorcerers and Power Mages--the latter has weird injesting gunpowder and controlling bullets powers (Powder Mages) who're good at killing the former, and the former being more traditional magic.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 21, 2015