Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

There's no thematic connection to the Thousand sons Pharoah hats at all. And do they have to be red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

xutech posted:

There's no thematic connection to the Thousand sons Pharoah hats at all. And do they have to be red?

To be fair, these guys are the mooks of the army. The distinctive feature is a small crest on the helmet, which these heads all have in different ways. The other feature is the ornamental indents in the shoulders, but was likely dropped for the sake of compatibility with the existing range.

Not even Ahriman wears a tall crested helmet. It's more about scarabs overall. I'm guessing we'll see the crazy poo poo in the unique units and characters, or a command upgrade.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Eh, those are pretty alright. I'm more excited about the special units, Magnus, and rules

TTerrible posted:

The bottom left one in particular looks like someone squashed a ball of putty with the end of a tool and then made the three lines with their finger nail.

I take offense to this

Also, thanks for the kind words the last page about my dudes :shobon:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

Eh, those are pretty alright. I'm more excited about the special units, Magnus, and rules

I take offense to this

Also, thanks for the kind words the last page about my dudes :shobon:

I love Thousand Sons, and yours are legit as gently caress. I just think those torsos are garbage :sweatdrop:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TTerrible posted:

That is the most phoned in bullshit FW have ever produced :stare:
I beg to differ

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I beg to differ

The best upgreyyd kit for the best legion.

(Random thing, but I was looking through my visions of heresy books last week and noticed what I think is an iron warrior super-heavy tank that had a bunch of those stars on it)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SRM posted:

I beg to differ

I mean sculpt quality wise. The Thousand Sons torsos are chapter house level of bad. The Iron Warriors stuff is pretty bland but at least the trim and iconography doesn't look like it was made out of playdough.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The shoulder pads aren't even right. The large fingers on the pointed star don't change directions enough times...

It's correct in the background of the release image for gods sake

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That metallic red is pretty cool :shobon:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

That metallic red is pretty cool :shobon:

I actually dislike it. It reminds me of something really cheap and flimsy and domestic--birthday party hats, maybe? Tinsel? I can't quite place it.

Edit: I'm almost positive it's something edible

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

That might explain some things. :v:

If anything, the red is probably a little too close to cheap Christmas ornaments or something, but I still like it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Well congrats to the goon that already made their own phenomenal Thousand Sons, you owned the hell out of FW.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BaconCopter posted:

Well congrats to the goon that already made their own phenomenal Thousand Sons, you owned the hell out of FW.

Please don't make Hixson feel good about himself. He only plays with me because of years of abuse.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

I actually dislike it. It reminds me of something really cheap and flimsy and domestic--birthday party hats, maybe? Tinsel? I can't quite place it.

It reminds me of the Transmetal Beast Wars I had when I was a kid:

I actually think it looks pretty dope on the Thousand Sons and I think it's a good looking upgrade kit. I wish it had tabbards and more weird bits though; it makes Thousand Sons look pretty vanilla, but I think they're still decent looking bits.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Coloured metallics is something I've seen from a guy on the FB group 'Eavier Metal.

Did some beautiful wine red Word Bearers and is doing some Salamanders now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Coloured metallics is something I've seen from a guy on the FB group 'Eavier Metal.

Did some beautiful wine red Word Bearers and is doing some Salamanders now.

Is it this guy?

His stuff is amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Is it this guy?

His stuff is amazing.

Good gravy that's pretty. There was a guy on Bolter and Chainsword back in the day with a Crimson Fists army called "Viva Metallica" that was done as an attempt at that sort of thing, but it always looked pretty lousy. Seeing it actually pulled off by talented painters is a bit of a shock and I really dig the results.

Also just ordered enough shoulderpads and some extra bits to outfit my Betrayal at Calth Ultramarines for when I finally get to that whole Heresy thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Those are rad but the ones I was thinking of were these, 1:1 for the artwork in the book in my opinion.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 18, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: Void Shield Harness; artificer armour; bolt pistol; power weapon; melta bombs; refractor field; jump pack 185

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 240
9 Tactical Support Marines: volkite calivers; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 225
Drop Pod 35

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (power weapon; artificer armour) 250
Drop Pod 35
9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (power weapon; artificer armour) 250
Drop Pod 35

7 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain (melta bombs) 270
Land Speeder Squadron
Land Speeder: volkite culverin; graviton gun 75
Land Speeder Squadron

Predator Strike Squadron
Predator: lascannon sponsons 115
Predator: lascannon sponsons 115

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

2.995 points

This is going to be my 3k point list. No forgeworld models apart from the weapons. :toot:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

Is it this guy?

His stuff is amazing.

Whoa

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Forge World must be redoing the Mark V armour, as you can only buy Mark V assault squads, not regular infantry.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Recoome posted:

Forge World must be redoing the Mark V armour, as you can only buy Mark V assault squads, not regular infantry.

Could be to make them inline with BAC and the new BAC weapons styles.

Edit: It's going to cost me 250 GBP to complete my 30k 3k point army :getin:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 19, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I updated the OP with Bulbasaur's post about trap units, is there anything else people would like to see added?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Thousand Sons have their upgrade kits now, suppose you could add that. Do we have a confirmed date for when the next book (And probably the updated Legion Red Books) is due to come out?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SteelMentor posted:

Thousand Sons have their upgrade kits now, suppose you could add that. Do we have a confirmed date for when the next book (And probably the updated Legion Red Books) is due to come out?

Probably at the birthday event or the HH open day.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

February most likely, since that's the 2016 big Forge World HH event. Incidentally, anyone headed there?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Crossposting from the 40K and miniatures painting threads, a mixture of my Death Guard and Mechanicus/Mechanicum:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm hard for those death guard

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Those DG are too... neat? I never pictured DG being this pretty before.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Got to play some more Zone Mortalis games this weekend, 2v2 and 4 man free for all. This time on a mat with third party walls and terrain, was heaps for fun but god drat Terminators are slow as poo poo and hardly ever get any actual use out of them, but Volkite Terror squads are the bees knees at shooting poo poo and making people roll lots of dice to force failed saves. Kheres contemptor confirmed for rending beast and Gal vorbak soak up a lot of bloody punishment.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

That's a really great ZM board

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I want to attach an extraction balloon to those shipping containers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where can one buy walls like that?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Those DG are too... neat? I never pictured DG being this pretty before.

Obviously they're loyalists! I picture them taking one look at their infected brethren and developing a downright OCD level hardon for cleanliness.

Also, pictures at that scale don't show it well, but all the boots and treads are caked with orange rust dust. I was trying for the 'they used to be near-pure whute but have been rolling around in dust for a while' look. I suppose I just like neat bright clean colors.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol loyalists r nerdz

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's nerds all the way down!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Looks like Corax is up next. Forgeworld is doing a daily jigsaw reveal, but already messed it up

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2962/3577/original.jpg

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Recoome posted:

lol loyalists r nerdz

You're a nerd. Nerd.

That FW reveal could be Dorn aswell.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

You're a nerd. Nerd.

That FW reveal could be Dorn aswell.

That's pretty unlikely, given the Ravenguard emblem on the knee/elbow on the left side of the model

also the wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but Chaos doesn't get daemons in 30k?

I've got a ton of Slaanesh daemons and was about to pull the trigger on a discounted Calth box, but I want to use these two things together.