Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Companions are essential and can not die. Maybe fast travel a bit and check a few in game days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

She was right that the girl is a synth but since she's the "daughter" of a railroad member she may be adopted or a RR member herself. Or an Institute infiltrator.

haha, I had this happen when I was doing this quest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp9DYIYMfaw

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Don Tacorleone posted:

Ay yo I can't find my dog, left him waiting outside a fort and he wasn't there when I came out. Can companions die on the way to sanctuary?

also just figured out that the normal difficulty is too easy, bumped it to hard

Dogmeat can be hard to find in Sanctuary, look inside all of the doghouses. If he's not there then dunno what to tell you.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just for laughs, has anyone tried setting their pip-boy color to 'pitch black' and then see what the light it makes looks like?

In sanctuary dogmeat's often hard to find because he's frequently found behind houses because that's where dog houses are.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 20, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

popewiles posted:

Dogmeat can be hard to find in Sanctuary, look inside all of the doghouses. If he's not there then dunno what to tell you.

Try Red Rocket.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

also just figured out that the normal difficulty is too easy, bumped it to hard

The game is most fun in the first four or five hours, at which point you begin to break the difficulty in half over your knee. Trust me, you'll be downing things effortlessly on Survival in time.

EDIT: On that note, fun fact I discovered today: Institute Coursers spamming their stealth boys does NOT protect them from the lock-on ability of the missile launcher. Gibs ahoy!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got 2 of the Nuka Cola Quantums at my local target. These are going to be worth bank yeah?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Rondette posted:

haha, I had this happen when I was doing this quest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp9DYIYMfaw

Verdict: Guilty. Of everything :dogbutton:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Cojawfee posted:

Companions are essential and can not die. Maybe fast travel a bit and check a few in game days later.

I love that this is the fix for the consoles. Whenever I can't find a companion I bounce around the map and eventually they spawn behind me again. Three is usually my magic number.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This might sound dumb, but does the 'settlers have infinite ammo' extend to heavy weapons as well?

I just stumbled over 3 minigun-wielding super mutants and was thinking how hilarious it would be if all my settlement guards had miniguns.

Oh, also : Regarding artillery. Is there any bonus to having more than 1 artillery manned? Like, aside from the 8 defense it provides, does having two manned double the duration or amount of shells or anything?

khy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

khy posted:

This might sound dumb, but does the 'settlers have infinite ammo' extend to heavy weapons as well?

I just stumbled over 3 minigun-wielding super mutants and was thinking how hilarious it would be if all my settlement guards had miniguns.

Oh, also : Regarding artillery. Is there any bonus to having more than 1 artillery manned? Like, aside from the 8 defense it provides, does having two manned double the duration or amount of shells or anything?

Yeah, I've got all my guards armed with fat men

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Azhais posted:

This will work out really well for you when the attack spawns inside your settlement.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

khy posted:

Just for laughs, has anyone tried setting their pip-boy color to 'pitch black' and then see what the light it makes looks like?

It doesn't put out any light, and the pip boy screen is just blank.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Azhais posted:

I thought there was a flag on the missile launcher and fatboy that caused NPCs to consume ammo? Maybe that's only hostiles?

But yeah, everything else is unlimited ammo for NPCs. Keep in mind that for a minigun they have to have at least (10?) rounds, because the gun fires in bursts of 10, instead of just one round.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Lugubrious posted:

It doesn't put out any light, and the pip boy screen is just blank.

Aw. I was hoping it would actively darken the area around you.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Why is it difficult to convince my settlers to jump into power armor? I have to defend a settlement, so I figure I'd leave unattended power armor in the middle of the crowd of settlers, and yet they don't jump into it. And if they do, it's my bartender that gets into power armor, only to immediately exit it when fighting is over.

I want my town guards to get in power armor dammit!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
How exactly does Toughness work in this game? Is it a percentage reduction or just a straight reduction in damage taken (ie: for 1 level in the perk, do you ignore the first 10 points of damage, or 10% of damage taken as in earlier games)?

Also does it affect all damage types?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
DR is a diminishing returns percentage system. It maxes out well into the thousands. The Toughness perks are not worth it at all unless you just really have trouble with the early game.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought there was a flag on the missile launcher and fatboy that caused NPCs to consume ammo? Maybe that's only hostiles?

But yeah, everything else is unlimited ammo for NPCs. Keep in mind that for a minigun they have to have at least (10?) rounds, because the gun fires in bursts of 10, instead of just one round.

Really? I just completed Defend the Castle with at least four settlers with miniguns and one 5mm round each, and didn't see any issues.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I just got to the institute. How far along am I on the storyline?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I just got to the institute. How far along am I on the storyline?

About 70%? This is the part where the faction break happens, so stop progressing if you want to have access to all 4 at the same time.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

About 70%? This is the part where the faction break happens, so stop progressing if you want to have access to all 4 at the same time.

thanks!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You've got more quests you can do before the point of no return. If you're doing the BOS quests, you'll get one from Maxsom regarding Danse, after you complete that one you'll be asked to talk to Kells. If you talk to Kells it's game over for you and the Railroad so stop before you do so.

Institute/Brotherhood wise it's pretty obvious and you'll get a popup.

Minutemen you can't screw up and their questline starts after you get yourself booted from the institute (if you choose to do so) so you don't need to worry about them at all until you reach one of the other fairly obvious points of no return.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Finally, just got off from finishig the main quest with the Institute. It felt kinda of weird; I don't know how the other factions do since I'm not about to replay this game, but the Institute's story felt simultaneously like it went on too long and didn't actually finish. It just sort of... ended.

Ending with the Institute themselves getting pretty short-changed, too. Seriously, what the gently caress, Bethesda? You make an actually really cool ambiguously-villainous group, make the player the leader of it, let us make some pretty awesome power plays, and then make their entire ending monologue so focused around Shaun that the Institute don't even get mentioned in their own ending? That goes beyond stupid, that's actually kind of insulting, did you think nobody would side with the technocrats for any other reason?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cleretic posted:

Ending with the Institute themselves getting pretty short-changed, too. Seriously, what the gently caress, Bethesda? You make an actually really cool ambiguously-villainous group, make the player the leader of it, let us make some pretty awesome power plays, and then make their entire ending monologue so focused around Shaun that the Institute don't even get mentioned in their own ending? That goes beyond stupid, that's actually kind of insulting, did you think nobody would side with the technocrats for any other reason?

It's not the same video for all of them?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not the same video for all of them?

I don't know, and I'm not going to check. I assumed not, because the Institute's video is all about mourning Shaun, and it plays after he just died. Maybe I'm giving Bethesda too much credit.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^ fake edit: yeah. ...yeah. The other endings are more or less the same. I think only the Institute ending actually has an additional 'slide' prior to the main monologue (mourning shaun; i don't remember that in railroad/minutemen), which doesn't reflect at all how your character acts throughout the game? Like, even if you go with SHAUN options the entire way through. I just wanted some more reactivity re: 'oh my god what's happened to this place!!' and only got it in the ending. Come on, game, why not when I'm getting my face smashed by some rotting tweaker 'well that puts a whole new spin on the term 'bloat'' rear end in a top hat aggressively bodychecking me. Not even batting an eye when the deathclaw showed up let me know how to lower my expectations, though, so... moving on.

Still catching up with the thread (jesus this thing moves fast), but my one big fear regarding DLC is that one will basically be like a Sims stuff pack for build mode (see: hearthfire), and that they'll bitch out on doing anything else with the setting save maybe two additional storylines. I'd be okay with a stuff pack if it was kind of like Courier's Stash in NV, where it's more or less a background project that's presented as an optional but altogether negligible addition that you can take or leave.

I'm not enthralled with the story overall, for reasons that have been stated a thousand times in this thread already, so I won't rehash those criticisms. I was more engaged than I expected to be, though, enough that I actually would like to see more story-based DLC, provided it's not another Mothership Zeta. And, uff, I guess Bethesda deserves some points for trying to pay attention to what made NV's story good, as well as paying attention to criticisms of their writing in the past. It's a step forward. It's such a babystep in terms of falling back on their old habits that it's sometimes hard to notice, but it's definitely there. The companions serve as both good, and bad examples of that.

The radiant quests were goddamn obnoxious, though. Five minutes after Blake's wife got kidnapped, it happened again, routing me to the same place. I just paid the ransom.

Sidenote: the abuse of the word 'it's' in the subtitles is driving me bonkers. The abundance of weird errors in the subtitles in general drive me bonkers, but I had one too many instances of 'run past random conversation, get map location, ask 'why,'' that they ended up seeming kind of-- sort of?-- necessary.

Also, reasons I wish I had video capture running at all times: the Pillars of the Community bit when dude is leading you into the side office, there was a vertibird fight happening. Since I wanted to see more routes the conversation took, I reloaded, and talked to him again. Second time through, dude gets to the 'now this is my favorite part' part of his speech, and boom, out of goddamn nowhere, a flaming vertibird crashes into the building, sending little bits and pieces of my would-be mugger sailing majestically through the air against a backdrop of ash and fire. How Jane Fallout made it out maimed and crippled but not dead is beyond me, but I am ever so glad she did.

I have enjoyed this here game.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 21, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Old Boot posted:

The radiant quests were goddamn obnoxious, though. Five minutes after Blake's wife got kidnapped, it happened again, routing me to the same place. I just paid the ransom.

I paid the ransom for some guy at County Crossing to get his daughter back, then immediately after I exited the dialogue and before I even had a chance to walk off he started another conversation with me about how his friend had now been kidnapped. I honestly thought it might be some weird extortion side-plot but no, it's just the radiant system being that bad.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kimmalah posted:

I paid the ransom for some guy at County Crossing to get his daughter back, then immediately after I exited the dialogue and before I even had a chance to walk off he started another conversation with me about how his friend had now been kidnapped. I honestly thought it might be some weird extortion side-plot but no, it's just the radiant system being that bad.

Wow. I thought I'd solved the problem by making it a point to not mention the resolution of that "quest" to Preston, but, welp.

I'm starting to think the best tactic is just cheating in the number of caps and paying ransom no matter what. It doesn't seem to hit your reputation, no one ever mentions it again, you just get some passive-aggressive nonsense from the questgiver about how they hope the raiders are true to their word.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Minuteman radiants are good for grinding companion friendship and getting known dungeons to blaze through if you're hunting legendaries

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Diamond City isn't really any more elaborate than Whiterun.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Kimmalah posted:

The goddamn Abernathy kids just never learn not to party with super mutants and raiders. I've rescued each member of that family at least twice.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:staredog: :wth: :worship:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Should read "FO4: factions directly affect the progression of the main storyline except it's most of the quests play out the same except the enemies are the other factions" and "FO4: 4 possible endings, depending on the choices you made in the game, except none of them reflect that or mean anything at all except some/all of the other factions are dead"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Pwnstar posted:

Diamond City isn't really any more elaborate than Whiterun.

It's more like Whiterun plus the external farms, all in the one cell. And without an equivalent to the Companions to give you an actual centralized group to get missions from.

I'm not sure if this guy's an idiot or if I just have different complaints to the people he's bitching about, because I haven't had or heard any of these complaints about Fallout 4. Hell, judging by what we just went over the one about the ending is about as wrong as you can get.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Skyrim doesn't have an ending. The credits never roll!

Technically they never really roll in Fallout 4, either, you just "decide the fate of the Commonwealth."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Old Boot posted:

Wow. I thought I'd solved the problem by making it a point to not mention the resolution of that "quest" to Preston, but, welp.

I'm starting to think the best tactic is just cheating in the number of caps and paying ransom no matter what. It doesn't seem to hit your reputation, no one ever mentions it again, you just get some passive-aggressive nonsense from the questgiver about how they hope the raiders are true to their word.

I just started ignoring them if I didn't feel like doing it. The quests eventually just fail after a certain amount of time and nobody really seems to care if they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

that's one of the more retarded things i've read all night, and I've been playing fallout 4

• Locked thread