Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

I said come in! posted:

This needs to happen.

I KNOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Philthy posted:

I feel bad, but I think I disliked this movie more than the stupid prequels. I'm old, so I'm going to go on an old man rant.

Kylo Ren had the most grating voice with his mask on. Then when he took it off, we were looking at what was probably the worlds biggest Star Wars geek who won some contest to be the next bad guy in the next Star Wars movie. I wanted him to put the mask back on because he looked like a huge nerd. This is what the son of Han and Leia looks like? Yeah, no. Not in a million years.

The beginning with the Falcon chase reminded me of young Annie, it was only missing the "Yahoooo!!". They went over the top slapstick comedy for the first quarter and it drove me nuts.

BB-8 was annoying. I wanted R2 the entire time instead.

The story was about another stupid death star, but it's an entire planet this time.

Han dying was stupid and out of place.

I liked Rey but somehow turning into super Jedi in 10 minutes is stupid.

Leia had smokers voice and it cracked me up more than anything else.

The Falcon turret noises were wrong.

Stormtrooper blaster noises were wrong.

Grah. Wanted to like this so loving much, but so drat disappointed. I'll be that guy, I guess.

Probably a bit more critical than what I'd have posted before seeing this but I at least somewhat agree with most of this.

I liked that Rey was shown to be capable at a lot of poo poo through the movie, but I don't think it needed to also include the usual "person is just so latently gifted at supernatural thing that they can immediately compete with someone well-trained at it" cliche.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Finn is Luke from A New Hope, and Rey is Luke from Empire Strikes Back.

I was totally going to say this about Finn. Even as a Stormtrooper who defected, he's still very much the "every-guy" that gets to tag along.

EDIT RE: sounds were wrong

I trust the filmmakers on the sound, they were very careful with a lot of stuff. Poe blasting around instead the Starkiller had the same sounds from Luke's X-Wing in ANH when says "I'm going in" and blasts the surface and almost gets caught in the blast.

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 21, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kylo Ren is very much not "well-trained".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are assuming Ren is an expert with a light saber because ...

Why.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I said come in! posted:

This is from BoxOfficeMojo, and is a list of all of the records the Force Awakens currently holds:

Every showing at my theatre was sold out for 2-3 hours any time I looked at the movie board, I could only get tickets by buying them online in advance. Even by Saturday and Sunday a solid 60-70% of the movies shown that day in the theatre were Force Awakens. This sucker's breaking all the records, and Disney has once again spent "only" a few billion dollars for something that's going to earn them tens of billions after a decade or two.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dude got beat because he was an unfocused goof with a bleeding blaster wound.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kylo Ren is the Dark Side Luke Skywalker. He even has the same arc but reversed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Motto posted:

Kylo Ren is very much not "well-trained".

Relative to "just discovered they have force abilities 10 minutes ago" he is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

So Phasma is coming back for the next one, do we know if Maz is? I really liked her character and Im pissed that her cantina theme wasnt included in the soundtrack. Of all the effects in the movie shes the one that looks least likely to 'hold up' 10 years down the line, but dangit if I don't love weird old lady alien with magnifying eyeglasses.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Rey is the lovechild of Maz and Chewbacca. She was accidentally left in a smuggler's compartment in the Falcon before it was stolen and eventually wound up on Jakku.

You heard it here first, folks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Relative to "just discovered they have force abilities 10 minutes ago" he is.

That very discovery scene revealed Kylo as so lacking in confidence that he was bested by the slightest unexpected resistance.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Philthy posted:

This is what the son of Han and Leia looks like? Yeah, no. Not in a million years.

This is a common mistake people are making. He's not live action Han Solo's son, he's Holiday Special cartoon Han Solo's son.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd count on Maz coming back; she still has to explain how she salvaged Luke's saber from Bespin.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Jerkface posted:

So Phasma is coming back for the next one, do we know if Maz is? I really liked her character and Im pissed that her cantina theme wasnt included in the soundtrack. Of all the effects in the movie shes the one that looks least likely to 'hold up' 10 years down the line, but dangit if I don't love weird old lady alien with magnifying eyeglasses.

I would be cool with Phasma actually having some lines. She didn't get as much emphasis as I thought she would, and I figured that she was dead. She did get flushed down the toilet right before the planet exploded.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 21, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Teek posted:

This is a common mistake people are making. He's not live action Han Solo's son, he's Holiday Special cartoon Han Solo's son.

Young John Kerry

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Philthy posted:

Kylo Ren had the most grating voice with his mask on. Then when he took it off, we were looking at what was probably the worlds biggest Star Wars geek who won some contest to be the next bad guy in the next Star Wars movie. I wanted him to put the mask back on because he looked like a huge nerd. This is what the son of Han and Leia looks like? Yeah, no. Not in a million years.

He's a screw up who focused on the wrong side of his family legacy, what the hell did you think he'd look like, Sex Fuckshard?

quote:

His super evil son was right in front of him, he had to try. On the other hand, his son is super evil. What did you want to happen?

quote:

It's the entire point of the Light Side users. Submission vs Will is the divide between the Light and the Dark. The Light Side draws strength from giving themselves over to the Force, the Dark Side draws strength from imposing their will on the world around them. Ben is conflicted, and Rey totally lets go. She's better at submission than he is at imposing his will. He's also not trained. The fact he's basically the only Force user in the galaxy and seems to have mastered the basics of stopping people shooting him and mind rape means he was good enough up until now. He's on his way to a training montage, just like her.

quote:

Grah. Wanted to like this so loving much, but so drat disappointed. I'll be that guy, I guess.

On the one hand it's totally valid to not like what you don't like, on the other you seem smart enough to know most of your complaints are just petty bullshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I hope Ep 8 opens with another flashback, in which the First Order re-enacts this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCHMjeKI9Bc

e: Oh poo poo, he even engages the hyperjets inside the ship... We're onto something here, folks!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boba was a son of Jango and not a clone.

I mean we was identical to Jango but did not go through the clone treatments.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really am excited about Rey and Kylo Ren facing off multiple times as they each grow. We have never had force user rivals who are similar in skill develop alongside one another. Both of them can get more and more poweful until a final showdown at the end of Episode 9.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Teek posted:

Makes sense.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Philthy posted:

Han dying was the perfect end to his character arc and I severely question your taste. Going from a misfit rogue and ending with being a noble father is fantastic, and I can't think of a greater way for the character to go.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I thought Boba was a clone

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Siets posted:

Han dying was the perfect end to his character arc and I severely question your taste. Going from a misfit rogue and ending with being a noble father is fantastic, and I can't think of a greater way for the character to go.

he could have died while in the midst of a hot orgy of clone young Leias

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Corbae posted:

I thought Boba was a clone

Boba Fett is Jango Fett's clone, without any of the programming/growth acceleration treatments applied.

Boba is Jango's "Son" in the regard that Jango is actually raising his own clone from birth.

:edit: Did anyone notice that Kylo Ren's accent sounded eerily like Javier Bardem's? I'm a little thrown, as Han, Leia and Luke utilize neutral western accents, and Adam Driver is from the US...

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 21, 2015

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm going to be bummed if Lando isn't the Chancellor of the Republic BTW.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Boba Fett is Jango Fett's clone, without any of the programming/growth acceleration treatments applied.

Boba is Jango's "Son" in the regard that Jango is actually raising his own clone from birth.

:edit: Did anyone notice that Kylo Ren's accent sounded eerily like Javier Bardem's? I'm a little thrown, as Han, Leia and Luke utilize neutral western accents, and Adam Driver is from the US...

I'm pretty sure this is the reason he agreed to be the template for the clones in the first place.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think the Republic is ready for a black president.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

You don't think that Ben Solo seems like the kind of guy who would put on his Badass Sith Voice when he wears his evil costume?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Why you wanna kill off Lando? The Republic Capital got blown the gently caress up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

That was probably the weakest part of the movie for me.

First: if you're going to blow up entire planets for drama, use the drama. Second: if that really was the entire Republic, that should be a huge loving deal. Billions of people died, the Resistance is in an insane amount of trouble, everything they've been fighting for just got erased. How was that not an absolutely massive deal?

I think what I enjoyed about the movie was the tone, the new characters, and the sense that, yes, this is some faithful Star Wars. But god drat that moment just sours the whole plot for me.

It wasn't the entire republic. That's what the next shot was going to be for.

Still, you have a point in that it's not treated with much gravity (lol)... but didn't that happen like literally right before they were deploying to attack the Starkiller?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Han Solo was kind of a bumbling idiot in the OT so it makes sense his son is as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Philthy posted:

I feel bad, but I think I disliked this movie more than the stupid prequels. I'm old, so I'm going to go on an old man rant.

The beginning with the Falcon chase reminded me of young Annie, it was only missing the "Yahoooo!!". They went over the top slapstick comedy for the first quarter and it drove me nuts.

BB-8 was annoying. I wanted R2 the entire time instead.

The story was about another stupid death star, but it's an entire planet this time.

Leia had smokers voice and it cracked me up more than anything else.

The Falcon turret noises were wrong.

Stormtrooper blaster noises were wrong.

Source your quotes please

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I think it'd actually be a mistake to have a romance between Finn and Rey. I figured Poe Damerion was the romantic lead for Finn.

This is definitely going on; Poe even gives him his true name after living an alternate life that was forced upon him. This is a good movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, the Death Star EX: NO WEAK POINTS THIS TIME EDITION was kind of lame. Blowing up a bunch of planets and not giving it more gravity certainly sucks too, people bemoaned the fate of Alderaan in A New Hope, but nothing here.

Wait, there was? I don't remember it being mentioned at all after Obi-Wan's "disturbance in the force" bit.

Wank posted:

When Rey gets the lightsaber instead of Kylo the theme plays that is the same as when Luke sees dead Uncle Owen/Aunt Beru (why are they SO dead? i.e. burnt to skeletons? How did that happen?

They did open the latest movie with a stormtrooper rocking a flamethrower. So that, maybe...?

Crow_Robot posted:

It makes sense it's just so out of place compared to every other death/corpse in all of the movies. We're not shown that the Stormtroopers make a habit out of burning corpses or anything.

The destroyed jawa sandcrawler is also the only time in the OT that stormtroopers ever allegedly have good aim. So maybe it was just an odd couple of days on Tattooine.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why you wanna kill off Lando? The Republic Capital got blown the gently caress up.
He was on a diplomatic mission at the time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I didn't pay attention to casting, but I really thought the villain was Javier Bardem when I heard him speak.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Boogaleeboo posted:

He's also not trained. The fact he's basically the only Force user in the galaxy and seems to have mastered the basics of stopping people shooting him and mind rape means he was good enough up until now. He's on his way to a training montage, just like her.

Unless I am totally mistaken, he was trained by Luke. He was the one that turned and killed all the others Luke was training. He was also turned by Snoke and trained by him as well. The fact he appears far more powerful with the force than we ever saw with Vader says something.

Snoke. I hope he's not really a poorly CGI guy we saw from the hologram. And that Snoke is just a nickname people gave him as a joke.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I can't wait to find out how many other padawans Ben Solo killed and how Plageuis got to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why are all Dark Jedi authoritarians, why aren't there any Sith libertarians/sovereign citizens?

Nobody wants to hear some rear end in a top hat drone on about the benefits of BitCredit or a return to the Mandalorian Iron standard.

• Locked thread