Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

NoDamage posted:

Any gym earbud/IEM recommendations for someone with extremely small ears? Looking to buy a Christmas gift, but basically any normal sized earbud/IEM is too big and will either 1) hurt or 2) fall out while running. Since this is for the gym, audio fidelity is not as important as comfort.

Again, gonna have to mention Etymotics, Etykids 3 or 5.

Google Butt posted:

These are work headphones which will sometimes be worn under over the ear ear protection, they look a little long to be comfortable in that situation.

They go pretty deep into your ear, very little of them would protrude, though the ends of them might touch. But if you want something that will DEFINITELY fit under earpro, Shure SE215s are 100bux, have amazing isolation, and sound pretty great. They fit flush on your ear, and they fit under my low-profile range muffs but honestly the isolation is good enough I can use them at the range and not even need the actual earpro. I use them on my bike, too. Highway wind noise? Nah. Silence. They're also really durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Are these alright for running? I have an old pair of ER-4Ps but never used them for running cause the microphonics were atrocious.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

NoDamage posted:

Are these alright for running? I have an old pair of ER-4Ps but never used them for running cause the microphonics were atrocious.

Apparently it's not too bad on the Etykids but I haven't tried them myself. (I have human sized ears) but if they suck, Amazon is on that real poo poo about returns.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Budget - $50 to $100
Source - smartphone, tablet, 3DS
Isolation Requirements - as much isolation as possible
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear because IEMs and on-ear headphones hurt my ears and I would prefer something that won't clamp down on my head like a vice either but unfortunately my head is kinda big
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not a bass head so a balanced tone would be my preference
Past Headphones - JVC Gummy plus earbuds and $20 Sony on-ear headphones both would either hurt my ears or the top of my head. For home use I have a set of Audio-Technica AD700 and AD900X headphones but those are open-back headphones meaning almost zero isolation.
Preferred Music - rock, techno, and instrumental but I might play some video games on them too

I would get some Audio-Technica M50x headphones but I have yet to see them go on sale for $100 and lower. Would the M40x headphones be a huge downgrade?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The m40x is the best value of the mx series, so you're good to go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NoDamage posted:

My understanding is microphonics are a problem for all IEMs unless you use a shirt clip.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What are other goons' opinions of the Bauer stereophonic to binaural DSP plugin for foobar2000? I've experimented with it and it tends to make things just sound muffled to me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Does anyone make a pair of affordable, smallish, lightweight on the ear wireless headphones that aren't poo poo?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cross-postin' like a motherfucker.

Beyerdynamic DT-235s are 66% off on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...k/dp/B00198BY48

$25 is one hell of a bargain for the second-best set of headphones I've ever owned (DT-880s are still the best).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Taima posted:

The m40x is the best value of the mx series, so you're good to go.

The M40x headphones are $77 on Amazon right now so is that a good deal for them or should I wait for further price drop?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The DT 990s came in today. I'm not sure I like them. :(

They sound tinny and weak in the midrange and I have to turn my amp much higher than with the HD 650s despite the DT 990s having a lower impedance. Will they break in and sound better? I got them from Amazon, can I send them back even though I opened the packaging?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

The DT 990s came in today. I'm not sure I like them. :(

They sound tinny and weak in the midrange and I have to turn my amp much higher than with the HD 650s despite the DT 990s having a lower impedance. Will they break in and sound better? I got them from Amazon, can I send them back even though I opened the packaging?

They can be bright/sibilant even. I've been looking for something to replace my DT990s for a while now -- pretty settled on going for Orthos. You can return them to Amazon yes. Just print off a return label through your recent orders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The DT990s are way too bright, I like the 880s much better, and they're still on the bright side of things.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I grew up listening to my parents' stereo with all analog equipment (tubes for everything, phono stage, preamp, and power amp) and have always used Sennheiser headphones so the DT 990s were quite shocking. I'm thinking of sticking with my HD 650s even though they buzz a little when reproducing a very strong bass (like the Quake soundtrack). I suppose there are the Fidelio X2s someone else mentioned but I'm worried about getting something i don't like again.

E: Fidelio X2s have only 35 ohm impedance, that's not enough for the Schiit Valhalla.

E2: I'm starting to wonder if the HD 600s are the only real alternative to the 650s for the sound I'm looking for. I know some people like the 600s better.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 21, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I really like my DT770s for whatever that's worth.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Google Butt posted:

I really like my DT770s for whatever that's worth.

The DT770s have a lot more low end. I use those at work.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

spasticColon posted:

The M40x headphones are $77 on Amazon right now so is that a good deal for them or should I wait for further price drop?

Sounds good. I would do the Amazon Warehouse ones for $60 personally.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The DT770s have a lot more low end. I use those at work.

They're also incredibly conceivable l comfortable

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Playing the Quake soundtrack through my 650s, the right side buzzes while the left side does not. This on top of the torn ear pads and cosmetic damage to the headband. If I send them to Sennheiser for repair, will they likely charge me more the cost of a new pair?

E: Sennheiser offers replacement driver capsules...through their UK site. The US site has nothing.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 21, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Woolie Wool posted:

Playing the Quake soundtrack through my 650s, the right side buzzes while the left side does not. This on top of the torn ear pads and cosmetic damage to the headband. If I send them to Sennheiser for repair, will they likely charge me more the cost of a new pair?

E: Sennheiser offers replacement driver capsules...through their UK site. The US site has nothing.

Buzzing on one side at low frequencies sounds like there's hair or something stuck on the driver. Take it apart (very easily done on the HD650) and clean it out.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GokieKS posted:

Buzzing on one side at low frequencies sounds like there's hair or something stuck on the driver. Take it apart (very easily done on the HD650) and clean it out.

Opened it up, looked inside...definitely hair in there but I can't do poo poo with just a microfiber cloth, it's down below the guard. Is it safe to blast it out with canned air?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Woolie Wool posted:

Opened it up, looked inside...definitely hair in there but I can't do poo poo with just a microfiber cloth, it's down below the guard. Is it safe to blast it out with canned air?

Yes. You probably want to do it from a bit of distance away, but it should be fine. A pair of tweezers may also be helpful if there's any that's stuck and doesn't want to get removed even with a blast of canned air.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

While I'm loving with my headphones, would an el cheapo braided cable for China (for appearance and to make it slide over/against other cables easily and smoothly) pose any risks to sound quality/the headphones themselves/my personal safety? Obviously cables don't make things better but a sufficiently lovely cable could make it worse by just not working correctly.

What I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-3-5mm-C...D0OvaqqwOFfeCbQ

Unrelated: I hope they make the new black HD 598s standard, because the regular ones are ugly as sin, and if my pair is any indication, they age very poorly as well.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 21, 2015

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sennheiser HD7 for $129, extremely good price vs average, doesn't go on sale much:

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD7DJ.html?emailprice=t&hotlink=t&svfor=5m&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
My earphones broke and I want to get new headphones soon. Anybody got experience with the AKG Y50? 87 euros from MediaMarkt and I can probably pick them up tomorrow on the way to work.

http://www.whathifi.com/akg/y50/review

Budget is maybe 100 euros

e: The shop I'd be buying from is MediaMarkt, http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_akg-y50-1887000.html

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 23, 2015

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

They seem fine to me. Kind of ugly, but the black isn't so bad. Reviews seem very positive in general.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Meldonox posted:

Previous post with details.

Astaldo was super cool and made me a couple great and much appreciated recommendations, but I'm curious, if I raise my budget to $250+ and take into account what's discounted right now, is there anything I should consider instead? I got an Amazon gift card from work today, may as well start lining something up.

Also I started using my HD497s again and good lord are they wimpy sounding compared to the G930s.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Well I posted this just what, like yesterday or something, but this would be way better than the m50x and it's a rare sale item:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77701_Sennheiser-HD7DJ-HD-7-DJ.html?utm_source=ebayenterprise&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=18097

Also you should really consider getting the Amazon Warehouse 598s for around $105-$115 rather than spend 100 bucks on the HD558 new.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...50913106&sr=8-1

I really love the 598s and own a pair myself.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 24, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tactical Lesbian posted:

They go pretty deep into your ear, very little of them would protrude, though the ends of them might touch. But if you want something that will DEFINITELY fit under earpro, Shure SE215s are 100bux, have amazing isolation, and sound pretty great. They fit flush on your ear, and they fit under my low-profile range muffs but honestly the isolation is good enough I can use them at the range and not even need the actual earpro. I use them on my bike, too. Highway wind noise? Nah. Silence. They're also really durable.

nthing Shure. I've had one of their models of in ears for at least 7 or so years, I think more. They sound amazing, the new cases are so comfortable you can sleep in them and the isolation is so good I'm honestly amazed I never got hit by traffic the three years I spent with a pair in in Asia.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 24, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Got DT770 Pro 32ohms from my parents for christmas. I have bad hearing around 6 KHz, a bunch of 15 year old mp3s, an iPhone 5S, no hifi knowledge, and I'm totally blown away by the new details I'm hearing in my music!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Okay the AKG Y50 was out of stock when I went to mediamarkt yesterday, now I'm buying online I've expanded my search. Looks like I'm choosing between the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser HD598. Portability was supposed to be the draw because I ride my bike everywhere and only have a small backpack, but the ATH-M50X isnt so small that I could easily put it in my bag anyway, so I'll probably just keep them around my neck when I'm not wearing them and don't have somewhere to put them. Can anybody confirm that the sound quality and comfort of the HD598 is worth the size and extra 30 euros? Currently leaning towards those, especially as I want to use them at home for music and movies as well as listening to music while im at work or riding my bike

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Okay the AKG Y50 was out of stock when I went to mediamarkt yesterday, now I'm buying online I've expanded my search. Looks like I'm choosing between the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser HD598. Portability was supposed to be the draw because I ride my bike everywhere and only have a small backpack, but the ATH-M50X isnt so small that I could easily put it in my bag anyway, so I'll probably just keep them around my neck when I'm not wearing them and don't have somewhere to put them. Can anybody confirm that the sound quality and comfort of the HD598 is worth the size and extra 30 euros? Currently leaning towards those, especially as I want to use them at home for music and movies as well as listening to music while im at work or riding my bike

The HD598 is pretty big...I wouldn't consider it portable. It is also open and leaks a ton of sound. Then again I wouldn't consider the ATH-M50X portable either.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

For reference I have ATH-AD700s and I'd consider taking them on the bike and to work if they didn't slip so much and if the jack weren't half broken (so any movement loses me my right ear). I don't mind the size so much, I'm happy to wear them around my neck when they're not on, they just need to be secure while I ride.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider the best sub-$200 portable headphones?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

For reference I have ATH-AD700s and I'd consider taking them on the bike and to work if they didn't slip so much and if the jack weren't half broken (so any movement loses me my right ear). I don't mind the size so much, I'm happy to wear them around my neck when they're not on, they just need to be secure while I ride.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider the best sub-$200 portable headphones?

I'm more of an IEM guy on-the-go so I only own one pair of headphones I would consider portable: a pair of AKG Q460s. The cord is dying so I've been eyeing a pair of Momentums because I like the style even though they're a bit larger than I would like. A bit out of my impulse-buy price range though.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 25, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Me again, I'm still looking at the Sennheiser Momentum headphones but I also looked up the HD 598s, I haven't seen them in a shop yet so I've got a question, is the padding on the 598s just glued to the bottom or stitched around the structure of the overhead band like the Momentum headphones. I ask because the pad falling off my old headphones is what finally convinced me to get new ones. Amazon is doing both models at essentially the same price but the 598s RRP is higher which is kind of tempting.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just got to open my new DT 990's. They sound amazing and are beyond comfortable, very happy with them.

edit: Okay I found my extension cable, so I was finally able to plug the headphones into my Xonar instead of the headphone jack on my receiver. Once I set the power output on the card, drat these things just went to a whole other level of amazing. This might sound strange, but I am just as amazed with how literally silent they are when I have no music playing.

niss fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 26, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

niss posted:

Just got to open my new DT 990's. They sound amazing and are beyond comfortable, very happy with them.

edit: Okay I found my extension cable, so I was finally able to plug the headphones into my Xonar instead of the headphone jack on my receiver. Once I set the power output on the card, drat these things just went to a whole other level of amazing. This might sound strange, but I am just as amazed with how literally silent they are when I have no music playing.

Glad you like them, fellow DT990-haver! That silence you're talking about is the noise floor. It is a Good Thing(TM)!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

Me again, I'm still looking at the Sennheiser Momentum headphones but I also looked up the HD 598s, I haven't seen them in a shop yet so I've got a question, is the padding on the 598s just glued to the bottom or stitched around the structure of the overhead band like the Momentum headphones. I ask because the pad falling off my old headphones is what finally convinced me to get new ones. Amazon is doing both models at essentially the same price but the 598s RRP is higher which is kind of tempting.

I believe it's glued, but I can check when I get home. It might just snap into the plastic like the earpads.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I am looking to upgrade from my old Sennheiser HD280s mainly for gaming and general use late at night on my computer. I was looking at the Philips X2s on Amazon but people seem to be complaining about some gluing issue on the earpiece and glue everywhere or something. Anyone familiar with this issue? Is it possible they are fakes or is it just an isolated issue with glue that should be there?

I also had my eye on importing the Sony MA900s from Japan as an alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Augh, my third pair of Monoprice 8323s just broke. The damned ear swivel pieces on them are miserable.

I just want isolation and a breakaway cable on some big dang headphones and I'm poor. Are there any other worthwhile options under (hopefully significantly under) $50?

edit: i'll do the whole form thing too, I guess

Budget - $50 at absolute most.
Source - Two laptops with generic onboard sound and a Droid Maxx.
Isolation Requirements - give me all of it. all the isolation.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed circumaural/supraaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bassy is good. I don't want anything else drowned out by it, though.
Past Headphones - Before the three Monoprice sets, I used a Lifechat LX-3000 and liked it. I had a pair of Koss Portapros and thought they were super good until I snagged the cable on something and neatly pulled the entire thing out of the set.
Preferred Music - I listen to industrial/electro/classic rock/the occasional lovely metal.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 27, 2015