Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Ninkobei posted:

Does anyone know much about the 1 plus 2 phone? Co worker pointed me onto it and besides the plain 1080p screen I can't seem to find anything wrong with getting one. Other than it's a completely unheard of brand, that is

One Plus is a hilarious cluster gently caress of a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the 5x have a wide angle lens on the front camera? I feel like things near the edges get distorted. It's hard to take a selfie with my wife without one of us looking bizarre.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Does the 5x have a wide angle lens on the front camera? I feel like things near the edges get distorted. It's hard to take a selfie with my wife without one of us looking bizarre.

Maybe you are just bizarre looking people.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ninkobei posted:

Does anyone know much about the 1 plus 2 phone? Co worker pointed me onto it and besides the plain 1080p screen I can't seem to find anything wrong with getting one. Other than it's a completely unheard of brand, that is

Don't

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ninkobei posted:

Other than it's a completely unheard of brand, that is
No, we just wish it was unheard of.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The plastic on the back of the N5X is pretty terrible. I noticed scratches on it today from putting it into a cloth pouch several times a day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ninkobei posted:

Anndtech's review more or less boiled down to that it's so bad there's no reason to buy it over its predecessor.

You also shouldn't buy a Oneplus One.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung has a thing where if you add a card on samsung pay with any of the current galaxy line from now till the 31st they'll send you a $50 best buy card. US only. Had no idea, randomly saw it and snagged it..soooo, worth it if you haven't done it already.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

The plastic on the back of the N5X is pretty terrible. I noticed scratches on it today from putting it into a cloth pouch several times a day.
Yeah, we have one as a dev/test device at work and the back is scratched to poo poo already just from being passed around the office and sat on desks and generally very tame usage that really shouldn't be damaging it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You're talking about the smooth plastic on the white and blue variants right? The matte black plastic they used seems robust enough to me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

You're talking about the smooth plastic on the white and blue variants right? The matte black plastic they used seems robust enough to me.
Ours is the black one.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
This weekend I took a video in a dark theater, 100% zoom. I was pleasantly surprised -- the drat thing is watchable. The only thing that I didn't like is that it was slightly shaky. This is the first time I really felt the lack of OIS.

(Nexus 5X btw)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nocal posted:

This weekend I took a video in a dark theater, 100% zoom. I was pleasantly surprised -- the drat thing is watchable. The only thing that I didn't like is that it was slightly shaky. This is the first time I really felt the lack of OIS.

(Nexus 5X btw)

Brb gonna collect my MPAA anti piracy reward.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Luke dies, nerd

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nocal posted:

(Nexus 5X btw)

You...you might want to keep that venture to yourself. It's incredibly illegal and dumb.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

nocal posted:

(Nexus 5X btw)

Yeah but that is a really specific use case, I find that OIS comes in really handy when I'm recording myself breaking into houses plus the mirrored glass back of the S6 is great for doing rails of cocaine off of.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 20, 2015

Eikre
May 2, 2009

hotsauce posted:

You...you might want to keep that venture to yourself. It's incredibly illegal and dumb.

"Hello, FBI? I would like to report an :siren:INCREDIBLY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.:siren: A person on the internet may have pirated part of a movie. Well, I mean, he might have just been filming himself getting a theater blowie, but I think the implication is worth invesiti- Hello? Hello?"

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
What is the deal with regional restrictions for Android/the Play Store?

I live in Germany but am in the States for a couple of weeks over Christmas. I can usually pay for apps in dollars from an American credit card and get/spend dollars using the Rewards app, but stuff like buying phones or that Star Wars Cardboard thing were geolocked, even when I was connected via a VPN.

I just bought a Chromecast and want to get the $20 Play Store credit, but I don't think it's letting me because it thinks I'm in Germany. Is there a way to make Google realize I'm back in the US?

I tried taking out my German sim card and just connecting via WiFi but the Play Store still shows up in German, even after I force stopped it and cleared the app data.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 21, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I don't care about copyright violation but if you're dicking around with your phone in the middle of a movie you're an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't care about copyright violation but if you're dicking around with your phone in the middle of a movie you're an rear end in a top hat.

Lol this.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Can someone report me to the MPAA already, I want to see how they react to a video of a child's holiday dance recital

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Lmao goons are so stupidly judgemental.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nocal posted:

Can someone report me to the MPAA already, I want to see how they react to a video of a child's holiday dance recital

Nice save. Sorry about Luke dying at the recital. :newlol:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - I have very specific anger management issues.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Is it possible to order an international Nexus 5x from the Google Play store in the US? I live in Japan, but will be home for Christmas. Nexus 5x is stupid expensive here so I was thinking I'd pick one up while I was in the US. The American version of the 5x doesn't have great compatibility with Japanese frequency bands so I wanted to get the international version. The Google Play shopping cart doesn't give me any indication of exactly which model number I'm ordering and there was no option for it when hitting the Buy Now button on the Google Play store. It just had options for color, internal memory, and whether or not I wanted a warranty.

Is there some cool guy way to get what I want?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ErIog posted:

Is it possible to order an international Nexus 5x from the Google Play store in the US? I live in Japan, but will be home for Christmas. Nexus 5x is stupid expensive here so I was thinking I'd pick one up while I was in the US. The American version of the 5x doesn't have great compatibility with Japanese frequency bands so I wanted to get the international version. The Google Play shopping cart doesn't give me any indication of exactly which model number I'm ordering and there was no option for it when hitting the Buy Now button on the Google Play store. It just had options for color, internal memory, and whether or not I wanted a warranty.

Is there some cool guy way to get what I want?

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

Is it possible to order an international Nexus 5x from the Google Play store in the US?
If the US model is different then no.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to turn off the annotations in the YouTube app? It's annoying to have to tap them and tap the x each time one shows up.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

*requires a Nexus device

What's your System Version under About Phone?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been staying off the internet.

RZA Encryption posted:

The rear end Stooge posted:

For whatever reason I assumed that nocal is a high school drama nerd or part of stage crew or something.

If you've got your phone out in a movie theater, gently caress you, you loving rear end in a top hat.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn off the annotations in the YouTube app? It's annoying to have to tap them and tap the x each time one shows up.

Have you tried disabling annotations on your Youtube account?
https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you tried disabling annotations on your Youtube account?
https://www.youtube.com/account_playback

I hadn't, but I'll try that and see if it sticks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nexus 6 is currently $249 for the 32gb ($299 for 64) on Amazon. Sure it's a year old, but that's one hell of a deal.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
My new Nexus 5X charges extremely slowly if I use it while charging, sometimes even losing charge. I'm not doing anything particularly intensive, just playing music in Spotify while reading articles on Pocket or Kindle. I'm using the stock charger and cable, and neither GSam Battery Monitor and Ampere seem accurate, reporting around 260mA and 30mA respectively. In fact, GSam has even reported negative numbers while plugged in. I've tried another Google-approved iOrange cable and a QC 2.0 charger for my old Moto X, but it charges just as slowly there too.

Anyone else have the same experience? The 5X charges quite quickly when I just leave it alone, but it's a little frustrating that it charges so slowly when I'm using it. I have had two other QC 2.0 Moto X phones that charged very quickly even during heavy use, so I'm a little disappointed with the 5X in this regard.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Someone earlier in the thread noticed the same thing.

The charger should be powerful enough for simultaneous charging and use, so our best guess was the thermal management is kicking in. Either to prevent the :supaburn: SD808 :supaburn: from cooking the battery and burning your house down, or to prevent the battery from cooking the SD808 and turning the phone into a laggy throttled mess.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 21, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

The Nexus 6 is currently $249 for the 32gb ($299 for 64) on Amazon. Sure it's a year old, but that's one hell of a deal.

This is a really drat good deal

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lowcrabdiet posted:

My new Nexus 5X charges extremely slowly if I use it while charging, sometimes even losing charge. I'm not doing anything particularly intensive, just playing music in Spotify while reading articles on Pocket or Kindle. I'm using the stock charger and cable, and neither GSam Battery Monitor and Ampere seem accurate, reporting around 260mA and 30mA respectively. In fact, GSam has even reported negative numbers while plugged in. I've tried another Google-approved iOrange cable and a QC 2.0 charger for my old Moto X, but it charges just as slowly there too.

Anyone else have the same experience? The 5X charges quite quickly when I just leave it alone, but it's a little frustrating that it charges so slowly when I'm using it. I have had two other QC 2.0 Moto X phones that charged very quickly even during heavy use, so I'm a little disappointed with the 5X in this regard.

Aren't you using the charger that came with it? Just asking because you linked an A to C cable.

You will not get very fast charge rates on a QC 2.0 charger as its max 5v output is only 1.6A compared to the 3A output of the official charger. QC 2.0 uses higher voltages at lower amps to fast charge while the USB C charging spec uses higher amps at 5v.

Even at its best though, the 5x pales in comparison to a QC 2.0 phone. I put my Moto X 2015 on charge (27% battery left) at the same time I put my 5x on charge (57% battery left) and the Moto beat it to full.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 21, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

This is a really drat good deal

Just got a $280 like new 64 GB off eBay, can confirm it is a good deal and good phone so far. If you have a Chase card, pretty sure the 10% cash back on Amazon is still running, too. 32 GB for $225 is fantastic.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Aren't you using the charger that came with it? Just asking because you linked an A to C cable.

You will not get very fast charge rates on a QC 2.0 charger as its max 5v output is only 1.6A compared to the 3A output of the official charger. QC 2.0 uses higher voltages at lower amps to fast charge while the USB C charging spec uses higher amps at 5v.

Even at its best though, the 5x pales in comparison to a QC 2.0 phone. I put my Moto X 2015 on charge (27% battery left) at the same time I put my 5x on charge (57% battery left) and the Moto beat it to full.

I'm using the charger that came with the 5X, and I've also tried the approved 3rd party cable with a 2.1A charger (as well as a QC charger).

You're right that the QC chargers use higher voltages; I forgot about that. I've been spoiled with QC phones for a while now (Moto X 2014 and 2015) and it's disappointing that the 5X's "rapid charging" is nowhere near as fast.

I returned the Moto X 2015 in favor of the Nexus 5X due to the smaller size and better low-light camera. There's only two things I miss about the Moto X: the Moto display and the QC charging.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Doesn't the 6P fast charge charge faster than the 5X fast charges? I wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm researching phone options for my mother. She uses her phone a lot, mostly for news, video, and games that I wouldn't guess are very demanding.

I've had an HTC One M8 for more than a year and really like it. Their software rarely bothers me, the hardware has held up great, and I don't think its battery life has diminished at all so far. But I saw there's no HTC phones "that matter" in the OP.

Does the new generation of HTC phones suck? Is it just that they've been surpassed by the competition?