Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Motto posted:

Dude got beat because he was an unfocused goof with a bleeding blaster wound.

Snoke ordered Ben to bring Rey to him, not kill her.

edit: still got beat but he could have just force pushed her rear end in the crevice if he wanted her dead.

Viller fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, with the exception of maybe a few cameos and such of course. I think this movie was all setup and fan service (done really well) and I'm excited for the future of Star Wars now, something I didn't expect to ever say again.

Also, here's a portrait I painted of Rey because :allears:

Why is IG-88 in the foreground?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why is IG-88 in the foreground?

Because Rey is a badass and turned him into a staff, weren't you watching the fuckin movie?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You know, with all the talk of Snopes possibly being tiny and hiding it with his holographic presence, maybe we're actually underestimating how tiny he is. Maybe he's so tiny that he's invisible to the naked eye. Maybe he's a midichlorian. They're probably gonna reveal that in the next movie for cheap heat, and then the crowd will boo every time he's on screen, and there will be "Let's go Rey" chants, and "619" signs.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Maybe Darth Snopes is actually like the John Galt of the Star Wars Universe

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Mitchicon posted:

Maybe Darth Snopes is actually like the John Galt of the Star Wars Universe

He broke Ben's mind by monologuing for 10 straight hours about how taxation of the rich is the Republic's greatest sin?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My friend is convinced Snoke is 15 feet tall.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Read through most of this thread, but a few things that stuck out to me:

Isn't Finn is a clone? I thought the the discussion between Ren and the General was that they were using clones, which is technically treason (but he wouldn't report him)? With all the reprogramming and brainwashing Finn might have believed he was a stolen child, but actually all his squad-mates are just like him (needs approval to take off his helmet, etc, so they never actually know). The callout of 'traitor!' might be part of that. I thought that would have been a cool topic to explore; when Rey is escaping, she unmasks a trooper and finds another Finn.

The fact that the old man with the map to Luke is on the same planet as Rey can't be a coincidence. He'd have to be the guy that took her there.

What I'm not sure about is Han and Ren on the bridge, what happens between them.
1. Ren says "I need to do something, but I'm not sure if I have the strength to do it myself",
2. Ren presents the lightsaber sideways, he has two hands on it and Han has one,
3. They both struggle with it,
4. The lightsaber extends and kills Han.
5. Ren says "thank you"

How did Han help him? Did he either angle the saber towards himself(with Ren struggling against it), or did Han pull the trigger to ignite the lightsaber? Or was his struggle to turn the lightsaber towards Ren the motivation Ren needed to kill his father?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Why does everybody think Plagius is alive. Palpatine said he got offed by his apprentice which makes sense as Sith giving their masters a plush retirement packages when it's their turn to take up the mantle of Dark Lord is not something they are known for.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Why does everybody think Plagius is alive.

Because Darth Plageus could control who lived or died and he's old and powerful as poo poo in TFA so it's pretty obvious who he is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stormtroopers aren't clones.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bad Moon posted:

Why does everybody think Plagius is alive. Palpatine said he got offed by his apprentice which makes sense as Sith giving their masters a plush retirement packages when it's their turn to take up the mantle of Dark Lord is not something they are known for.

Because it's not that plausible that a Sith Lord of Snoke's apparent mastery of the Dark Side would exist with Emperor "ULTIMATE POWER" Palpatine being alive. And the only other sith lord of the era people know about is the one that can control people's death.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Philthy posted:

Unless I am totally mistaken, he was trained by Luke. He was the one that turned and killed all the others Luke was training. He was also turned by Snoke and trained by him as well. The fact he appears far more powerful with the force than we ever saw with Vader says something.

Snoke. I hope he's not really a poorly CGI guy we saw from the hologram. And that Snoke is just a nickname people gave him as a joke.

He's in training. He's not trained. He lacks the confidence of someone that really knows what they are doing. He's far more powerful than he thinks he is, what with instantly pulling the information he wanted out of Rey's head without either of them knowing it. He'd already won and he didn't even know it. That's basically the hook for the next movie. Snoke says to bring Ren to him to finish his training, and Rey is with Luke where she can get some training. Next time they both meet, they are both going to be more fully realized people.

Goffer posted:

I thought the the discussion between Ren and the General was that they were using clones

Exactly opposite. Ren said maybe they should be using clones, and the General says his troops are perfectly indoctrinated and fine as is.

quote:

They both struggle with it

Nah, Ren struggles with killing his father that he loves. He wavers because on some level he wants to go back, and wants to be good. As has been said it's telling the other side, not of the young Jedi wrestling with the Dark Side and embracing the Light, but of the Dark struggling with love and compassion to ultimately stomp them out.

quote:

How did Han help him?

By "giving" his life. Killing the father that tried to save him is the greatest sign of his commitment to the Dark Side, the self over everything else.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 21, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goffer posted:

Isn't Finn is a clone? I thought the the discussion between Ren and the General was that they were using clones, which is technically treason (but he wouldn't report him)? With all the reprogramming and brainwashing Finn might have believed he was a stolen child, but actually all his squad-mates are just like him (needs approval to take off his helmet, etc, so they never actually know). The callout of 'traitor!' might be part of that. I thought that would have been a cool topic to explore; when Rey is escaping, she unmasks a trooper and finds another Finn.

The fact that the old man with the map to Luke is on the same planet as Rey can't be a coincidence. He'd have to be the guy that took her there.

What I'm not sure about is Han and Ren on the bridge, what happens between them.
1. Ren says "I need to do something, but I'm not sure if I have the strength to do it myself",
2. Ren presents the lightsaber sideways, he has two hands on it and Han has one,
5. Ren says "thank you"

How did Han help him? Did he either angle the saber towards himself(with Ren struggling against it), or did Han pull the trigger to ignite the lightsaber? Or was his struggle to turn the lightsaber towards Ren the motivation Ren needed to kill his father?

You need to watch the movie again because you got everything wrong.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goffer posted:

5. Ren says "thank you"

My perception of that was this:

Ren, feeling the pull of the lightside, is telling his father that there is no going back and the only way out of it is for Ren to die but he doesn't have the strength to kill him self. He in turns asks Han to do it for him. Han looks at him and obviously struggles with the thought of having to kill his own son. Ren sees the weakness in Han's inability to kill his son for the greater good and takes that as confirmation that his father is indeed a coward. Ren was essentially giving Han the option to end it all now but Han couldn't do it, he couldn't bare the burden of killing his child much like Vader couldn't bare that burden. That was by far one of my favorite scenes of the movie and cemented Adam Driver as perfect for the role. I was skeptical coming in because my idea of him was his work on Girls and I couldn't imagine him being a evil space wizard but his acting in that scene was great.

So I haven't read through the thread yet but am I the only one that doesn't think Rey is Luke's kid? I mean to me the logistics of it just don't make sense. Rey is born 10-11 years after Endor which means Luke met a woman and impregnated her in that time all while going on a quest to find the Jedi temple, reopening it and training 50+ Jedi all on his lonesome?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gordong Dongbay posted:

So I haven't read through the thread yet but am I the only one that doesn't think Rey is Luke's kid? I mean to me the logistics of it just don't make sense. Rey is born 10-11 years after Endor which means Luke met a woman and impregnated her in that time all while going on a quest to find the Jedi temple, reopening it and training 50+ Jedi all on his lonesome?
Maybe her mum was one of the other Jedi?

nopants
May 29, 2004
Stoomtroopers are clones. I saw the PT.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
This movie kind of dispensed with all the old baggage and maybe spent a *little* too much time on fan service but it didn't actively hamper the film. I'm really, really excited for sequels provided the next few directors don't feel like they have to pay homage after homage to the original trilogy given that the cast they have for themselves: Boyega, Ridley, Isaac and Driver, are phenomenal and can carry films on their own.

The only thing that they set up that I don't think can possibly deliver is Rey's parentage. By making it a mystery of sorts, they really only have 2 options: She's a Skywalker, or she's a daughter of nobodies because the universe is too small for any other major characters that we care about. Option 1 is a bit eye-rolly, because everyone is about tired of everyone else being related in this universe, and option 2 just sets up a complete anti-climax.

Or maybe she's a descendant of Palpatine or something, which gives her a sort of existential crisis to work through. That's the only option I think that can lead to interesting narrative ends, but we'll see.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Her being a descendant of Palpatine would be pretty great. It's kind of what I think should happen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nopants posted:

Stoomtroopers are clones. I saw the PT.

Those are clone troopers. In the OT they aren't clones any more.

Clones don't even live that long.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe her mum was one of the other Jedi?

I mean maybe but Luke stems from the teachings of Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan was very much a stickler for not banging women while training. I can't see Luke loving one of his students, it just doesn't make much sense to me. I think Luke and Rey are connected very strongly by the Force but I don't think that necessarily means they are father-daughter. I mean as a story line I think it's pretty bland to just have her be Luke's kid because Luke to me always came across as the person who would sacrifice everything to ensure the Jedi Order survived in some capacity.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Those are clone troopers. In the OT they aren't clones any more.

Clones don't even live that long.

Yeah in Rebels, which is set about five years before a New Hope has some of the clone troopers appear in it as old men.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I thought this was the best they've put out the fact that the lightsabers actually cast light was a huge improvement over the previous films. Now that you see it you can't unsee it. It looks weird.

Like the best fights previously look really weird now because the lightsabers don't cast light. It's such a small thing but it really makes a huge difference.

Is this a troll?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Goffer posted:

5. Ren says "thank you"

Snoke says earlier in the movie that he has to kill han. kylo is somewhat torn and asks if his dad can help him because he doesnt think he can do something. han says sure anything. so kylo kills him, thats the thing he had to do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this a troll?

No seriously look at this fight then go watch the other ones. They look really weird because this time in pre production they used model lightsabers that gave off actual light.

The fights are still good in the OT but now with the new film and effect something feels off about the original fights.

Here:

No light is actually cast by the lightsabers in this

The Force Awakens

Light is actually cast

Previous Fights look weird after you've watched The Force Awakens fights a few times.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gordong Dongbay posted:

contrary to popular goon belief it does not take 11 years to wear a woman down to the point of sleeping with you

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Goffer posted:

5. Ren says "thank you"

Kylo Ren says "Perhaps Supreme Leader Snoke should consider clones" after they find out Finn helped get Poe out.

Han helped him by making it easy to kill him. Even Snoke doubted he could do it because hes tempted by the light.
Most people seem to think the pain he refers to is the dark side but its not. Hes tempted by the light all movie long and its causing him problems, wich he interprets as pain.
Anyway that's how I understood it.
edit:
"Even you, master of the knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."
"By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced."
"We shall see, we shall see"

Viller fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spaceman Future! posted:

contrary to popular goon belief it does not take 11 years to wear a woman down to the point of sleeping with you

No it doesn't but it certainly seems like a stretch considering Luke was on a quest to find a jedi temple and then spent his time rebuilding it and recruiting/training 50+ members.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

No it doesn't but it certainly seems like a stretch considering Luke was on a quest to find a jedi temple and then spent his time rebuilding it and recruiting/training 50+ members.

Even Luke needs to get his saber serviced. Especially when he's basically had the hots for his sister for a considerable part of his life.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I heard a theory on the Full of Sith review via Neogaf that made a heap of sense. Rey is of the Kenobi line. There's a heap of 'poetry' in some of the lines they say and whatnot, but listen to Full of Sith and old mate breaks it down pretty well that I'm down with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Luke left to find the "first Jedi temple" after poo poo went south.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

I love me some clone theories, but I really doubt we'll see that tech brought in to explain Rey's origins, in fact it probably won't be an actual plot point at all, just something for Ren to joke about. But since I love clone theories, I'll go down the rabbit hole.

The issue that clone Rey has (Reey?) is that we haven't seen clones with their gender swapped, or creating an offspring based solely on DNA. All we've seen done is putting people in the ol' genetic photocopier. That pretty much just leaves her being Leia's clone, which could also work because now you have a real nature vs. nurture experiment going on here where your "Leia" is raised on a desert planet. Maybe she was the one with the stronger force abilities all along, they just never got developed. She does track down Luke on Bespin, and she senses Han's death from across the galaxy with no, or very little, training. And for all the crazy family origin lines we could hear sent at Reey, "You're my sister" from Luke or "Genetically, you're my mother" from Kylo have to be the most absurd.

Like I said I REALLY like the clone ideas because they just seem so off the wall crazy, but I just don't think they'll go down that path.

If not a clone, I have a feeling the twist will really be that she was hidden away not by people related to the light, but instead the dark side. I have a feeling she was some sort of backup plan for the Empire and just got lost out. I'm basing this solely on the fact that no one of importance thus far has recognized her or has had any interest in her EXCEPT Kylo Ren (Small hint at her interest in "the girl"). I think her being Luke's offspring is far too easy, as far as we can tell she's not the daughter of Han and Leia, and yet she seems to have an affinity with the force that comes across as if she received this affinity through genetics.

I really believe either Vader or Palpatine had a part to play in Rey. Just as Kylo was born to a family associated with the light, I believe Rey may have a background with the dark side.

Expanded theory as well: There's always been talk about "the chosen one bringing balance to the force". We all thought, at the end of the OT, Luke was that person where Anakin failed. However, that clearly has not been the case - In Luke's attempt to bring about a new age of Jedi, Kylo was born from Luke's failures. If clone / DNA magic happened and Rey was of Anakin, what if Rey is that chosen one?

Snoke also seems to know about Rey's existence to some extent as well, possibly more than he leads on. We can go with an even crazier theory - what if Darth Plagueis' quest for immortality didn't end with his death at the hands of Palpatine, but instead he is reincarnated through force mumbo jumbo as Rey?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Runefaust posted:

If not a clone, I have a feeling the twist will really be that she was hidden away not by people related to the light, but instead the dark side. I have a feeling she was some sort of backup plan for the Empire and just got lost out. I'm basing this solely on the fact that no one of importance thus far has recognized her or has had any interest in her EXCEPT Kylo Ren (Small hint at her interest in "the girl").

Uhhhh, Luke, Obi, and Yoda talking about her in the vision weren't people of importance? The old lady certainly knew what was up too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TG-Chrono posted:

I heard a theory on the Full of Sith review via Neogaf that made a heap of sense. Rey is of the Kenobi line. There's a heap of 'poetry' in some of the lines they say and whatnot, but listen to Full of Sith and old mate breaks it down pretty well that I'm down with it.

It would have to be Kenobi's grand daughter.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Given the lengths Luke went to in his attempt to make out with Leia in episodes IV and V I think its pretty naive to think that he would just swear off women and bury himself in work

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Jesus goons are worse than the prequel movies.

:agreed:

I forgot what it's like to be in an echo chamber where the prequels are horrible movies and George Lucas is a lazy idiot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I loving loved the prequels when they came out ,but they have no loving aged well at all. It's just initial wow factor of seeing Jedi's after 30 years on the actual screen.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 21, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Maz Kanata was the only character I had problems with after my first viewing. Ive seen it a couple more times now and Han was right, she's an acquired taste.
Don't mind her as much anymore, and I hope she shows up for more backstory in other episodes.

edit: Honestly don't remember a thing from The Incredibles so I wouldn't know.
Rey learns how to use the force from Maz.

Viller fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah Edna Mode was pretty good in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

No seriously look at this fight then go watch the other ones. They look really weird because this time in pre production they used model lightsabers that gave off actual light.

The fights are still good in the OT but now with the new film and effect something feels off about the original fights.

Here:

No light is actually cast by the lightsabers in this

The Force Awakens

Light is actually cast

Previous Fights look weird after you've watched The Force Awakens fights a few times.

I dunno maybe with those cool star wars gifs you can find more examples of lightsabers in low light illuminating a scene. It'll probably be in the PT though because computer graphics have come a long way since the 1980s.

• Locked thread