Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
My god y'all, good suggestion on Secret Wars and Thors. I think I'm into comics again.

content:

The coloring in this thing, and Ribic's pencils...this is maybe the prettiest comic I've seen, period, and has the spectacle of the MCU dead to rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

That is terrible and you should feel terrible that you posted it. I'm genuinely disappointed in Brian K. Vaughn for writing that Millar/Miller-wannabe page.

Man, I loved the whole thing. It's an absolutely trite and way too on the nose analogy for a modern issue slapped with a sci-fi veneer of giant mechs and guerilla arctic wilderness combat. It's the perfect Miller style movie bait scifi story. I just grab a bowl of popcorn and watch. From the long tradition of Avatar, In Time, and Godzilla

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Later, Lucifer is incarcerated for a crime she may or may not have committed.
This does not end well.

( Wicked + Divine )

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really need to get around to reading that drat comic.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Hooray for people saving us from interminable discussions about what constitutes badassery by posting badass panels. Quick, let's finish off those people who don't know they're in a panels thread by posting this ultimate badassery.

Ghost Racers #1. If you need context: GHOSTS. ON FIRE. RACING. IN AN ARENA OF DEATH!

The art is gorgeous, and this brief excerpt doesn't do it justice.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Milotic posted:

Ghost Racers #1. If you need context: GHOSTS. ON FIRE. RACING. IN AN ARENA OF DEATH!
The art is gorgeous, and this brief excerpt doesn't do it justice.

This is a great use of the ridiculous ideas that build up over time in superhero comics. That's super cool even though I only vaguely know about Ghost Rider.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Later, Lucifer is incarcerated for a crime she may or may not have committed.
This does not end well.

( Wicked + Divine )

Annie Lennox and Davie Bowie having a daughter and her turning out to be the Devil is so my jam.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trast posted:

Annie Lennox and Davie Bowie having a daughter and her turning out to be the Devil is so my jam.

I was just going to post that it's the opposite of my jam and turns me off from giving this book a shot. :shrug:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

I was just going to post that it's the opposite of my jam and turns me off from giving this book a shot. :shrug:

I think we all just assume you're not going to like whatever's posted, you don't really need to voice it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I think we all just assume you're not going to like whatever's posted, you don't really need to voice it.

I like plenty of things.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Lurdiak and I often disagree on things in this world, but yeah, it really isn't grabbing me at all. It feels like it thinks it's a lot more edgy and original than it is. And from the few pages I've seen of her posted around here, "Luci" there looks to me like the creators thought it'd be really cool to combine Lucifer and Desire from Sandman, and just labeled it "good enough".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like Luci as a character, but Kieron Gillen has been telling me that pop music is magical for years and I can never take it as seriously as he does.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

All I see is the Sovereign falling down a hole of Killingers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Choco1980 posted:

Lurdiak and I often disagree on things in this world, but yeah, it really isn't grabbing me at all. It feels like it thinks it's a lot more edgy and original than it is. And from the few pages I've seen of her posted around here, "Luci" there looks to me like the creators thought it'd be really cool to combine Lucifer and Desire from Sandman, and just labeled it "good enough".

It helps that the Gods pretty much look like they think they should look/an idealised version of themselves to a certain extent. And they're all teenagers.

I really like Wicked + Divine, but I can totally see how it wouldn't be some people's cup of tea. And yeah, the two big influences on the series are pop music and 90s Vertigo comics.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clamknuckle posted:

Now I want to read it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Clamknuckle posted:

Goddammit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

Why?

No, honestly. Why post that? Why not just say "huh, that's really not my thing, guess I'll take that book off my 'might read' list"? What makes you feel like everyone needs to know you're not interested? I mean, I could understand it if you were actually saying something that could provoke, you know, discussion - "I dislike that and here's why," something along those lines, but you don't seem to actually do that, and I genuinely don't understand what you get out of the experience.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He wasn't being that hostile, man. Not every post has to be a huge discussion point. Sometimes people just have opinions and share those opinions, in a mild tone, on forums.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like W+D an awful lot, but Luci is not at all among the more compelling characters imo. And that's fine in the context of the series-- GIllen was probably wise to introduce us to the least subtle and most exposition-friendly of the gods first, and also probably wise to resolve her first arc the way he did so he could move onto other stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why?

No, honestly. Why post that? Why not just say "huh, that's really not my thing, guess I'll take that book off my 'might read' list"? What makes you feel like everyone needs to know you're not interested? I mean, I could understand it if you were actually saying something that could provoke, you know, discussion - "I dislike that and here's why," something along those lines, but you don't seem to actually do that, and I genuinely don't understand what you get out of the experience.

This isn't the thread for that don't be so defensive.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlestheHammer posted:

This isn't the thread for that don't be so defensive.

You know who was pretty good at being defensive?

Skurge.

:unsmith:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Toshimo posted:

You know who was pretty good at being defensive?

Skurge.

:unsmith:

:golfclap: I laughed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Why's Lucifer a lady now instead of a man plunging forever into nothing, creating in his wake.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh my gosh you guys. Post panels if you're going to talk about what you do or don't like.

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #9 by Al Ewing. He's done some great work on Loki, but I didn't really get grabbed by his work on Mighty Avengers when I gave it a brief try. I think the run continued on into Captain America and the Mighty Avengers. It's mostly a fairly eclectic and obscure list of superheroes. But it has Luke Cage in it, and I find most people write him as a holier than thou prat so I'm pre-biased. Context: Earth is about to be destroyed. Another Earth is colliding into it and both Earth and reality are breaking down under the dimensional stress. Most of the superheroes are involved in a big punch up as they're all idiots. Everything is screwed. The last remaining lights in the multiverse are about to be snuffed out forever. These are the last panels. It's a toss up whether this should go here or the stronger panels thread, but I don't care, it's badass as well as touching. If you disagree, fine, post panels as a tax if you want to post why.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is more a case of finding the dramatic narration and even more dramatic artwork badass than finding the actual situation badass:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why?

It's weird how you don't feel this baffled at people who have nothing to contribute other than "Wow, this is cool! Bazinga!" but take offense at me saying I don't like a thing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

All I can think to say is, 'wow, they really will let anyone into the Avengers.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

All I can think to say is, 'wow, they really will let anyone into the Avengers.'

That was kind of the point of the "Mighty Avengers," anyone could be in it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FredMSloniker posted:

That's nothing.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Superman can be badass, even without heat vision or punching.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lurdiak posted:

My bad :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Mind posted:

Superman can be badass, even without heat vision or punching.

I love these so much, it honestly makes me cry a little. :allears:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

WickedHate posted:

Want to post this on facebook to piss off a Trump supporter I know/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

America used to be way less scared of openly leftist ideas.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

America used to be way less scared of everything tbh

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

America used to be way less scared of openly leftist ideas.

Nah, comics have just tended towards being liberal(which is what makes the recent objections to Marvel's diversity and Captain America punching out racists so funny). That was soon after if not right around McCarthyism, after all. Conservatives are just so...creatively stunted, it seems. You wanna see a right wing hero?

Beautiful.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 24, 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Here's another right-wing hero being really bad-rear end!!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I like how Hank doesn't even get to speak and is only really shown in one panel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I like how Hank doesn't even get to speak and is only really shown in one panel.

True, it's kind of depressing that at the time even the most progressive message could only do so much, like with people insisting Judgement Day would be just fine if only they made the human white at the end.

Speaking of badass comic books, Judgement Day.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Here's another right-wing hero being really bad-rear end!!

I kind of want to go around hitting people and screaming "Your goals were never realistic!" now. I could brand myself as a new, aggressive form of motivational speaker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

WickedHate posted:

Nah, comics have just tended towards being liberal(which is what makes the recent objections to Marvel's diversity and Captain America punching out racists so funny). That was soon after if not right around McCarthyism, after all. Conservatives are just so...creatively stunted, it seems. You wanna see a right wing hero?

Beautiful.

Wow... Is this a parody? It must be, right? There's no way someone could think that protesters for freedom of religion and expression were right-wing just because they gave the evil police hammer-and-sickle emblems.

Then again, if it is genuine, it's the kind of conservative who thinks that saying 'happy holidays' is suppressing their religion by not mentioning Jesus at all possible opportunities.