Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been sort of steadily falling out of love with River City because teams are more than willing to just set up camps on opposite sides of the river and play the coward's game for quite a while. At this point it's basically a "gently caress it, better than terra therma or caustic" map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
River City used to be a fun and good map, did they gently caress that up?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Nah, it's fine. It's an urban map with a few opportunities to snipe. If you're set up for sniping and the other team rushes, you HAVE to stop the rush otherwise you lose in a hurry, because there's no way to reestablish long range in the urban jungle once it's lost. You just have to be committed to how you're going to play the map and have a team that's on board with that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there a trick to dealing with LRMs? Every match today I've gone down in a hellfire of missiles because I just can't deal with them at all for the life of me.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nuebot posted:

Is there a trick to dealing with LRMs? Every match today I've gone down in a hellfire of missiles because I just can't deal with them at all for the life of me.

For the easiest defense, use general XP to get the module that causes you to disappear from enemy sensors the moment you break line-of-sight, and use anything at all to break their lock in this way. Move a little further because the missiles will fall where you were last targeted. Otherwise, don't worry about them too much and just get within 180 meters of the launcher, because 99% of LRM users don't know how to get any good results from them and even then there are plenty of hard counters around the map for stymieing them. The only time LRM damage will be a credible threat is when it's being fired by someone who has direct vision on you and is probably within 750 meters, so just shoot them? Unless you're in a catcher's mitt like the King Crab you should handily outdamage them one on one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You can close to brawling distance pretty easily on River City if you just go over to the bottom part where the nuke plant or whatever is. If you're the only person who does it and you're whole team camps whelp at least you'll do a couple hundred damage before dying.

Also I actually kind of love Terra Therma now. So many people are just terrible at heat management that if you don't alpha non stop you can get some really easy kills.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nuebot posted:

ECM, the Target Deprivation module, and good use of terrain all individually negate LRMs with 100% effectiveness. Once you learn how to better play the game, LRMs will become a sad joke to you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just stay near a bit of cover tall enough to block them. There aren't that many maps with big open areas where you're just hosed, and frankly if you get caught out in the open in a bad way on those you're hosed from direct fire weapons anyways. Use of cover is a really big thing you need to learn.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm 10k shy of getting that module. At least I have a goal I guess.
Anyway, I swapped out my UAC/5's for some AC20's just to see how they handled and it's kind of hilarious. I only have like 64 ammo but they really, really don't like it when they get hit. Downside is that there might not be enough heatsinks in the world to keep me going.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Set one weapon group to fire both ac20s and set another group to chain fire them, then you get alpha potential and heat management when you need it. This is what I do with my dual ac20 catapult and it works well.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I don't know what's so special about sunday nights, but I have been seeing some amazing things. A Stalker with an XL Engine that died with almost full armor but lost a single side torso, an Ebon Jaguar armed only with 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15, a King Crab with 4 AC/2's and a single PPC. The world has gone mad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So, my first attempt at making something without following a build guide. How bad is it? The plan is to harass things by making them over heat and shoot them with machine guns to make them sad.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The good news! You've used DHS and endo-steel over ferro-fibrous. You've also armoured up, though by dropping a few points you could have half a ton to play with.

The bad news: everything else. There is no way you will ever burn through 8,000 rounds of machine gun ammo and flamers don't do poo poo. It is an absolutely horrid robot.

But, it will be really annoying until you get smeared like a bug on a windshield. Try it out in the solo queue.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I did! The one guy I jumped on and started setting on fire didn't seem to know what to do because I was right up on his face setting him on fire. It took him a while to reorient himself until he could blow me up. Then he blew me up really good. You're right about the machine gun ammo, they didn't do poo poo. I need to pile more heatsinks on.

Alternatively I kind of want to stick an AC20 on this thing and just fly around shooting people. I don't think I'll ever replace my crab with this annoying garbage can, but if I can find a good annoyance strategy then I'd like to mess with it sometimes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I did! The one guy I jumped on and started setting on fire didn't seem to know what to do because I was right up on his face setting him on fire. It took him a while to reorient himself until he could blow me up. Then he blew me up really good. You're right about the machine gun ammo, they didn't do poo poo. I need to pile more heatsinks on.

Alternatively I kind of want to stick an AC20 on this thing and just fly around shooting people. I don't think I'll ever replace my crab with this annoying garbage can, but if I can find a good annoyance strategy then I'd like to mess with it sometimes.

You can put an AC/20 on there, but you won't do any flying around.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I would like to occasionally roll with people in my terribad robutt builds. Also which CW group is currently doing IS? I need my IS mech bays to max out the thunderbolt. After that I want to keep working the clans, even though holy poo poo the amount of damage I can output on the IS side is crazy. Thank you, Atlas DC, for being my new money maker.

In game as C de Monte Cristo, thanks.

Edit: Apparently I have spaces in my name....

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

If I'm bad and don't use the mic should I bother joining a goon group or just forgo it?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Nuebot posted:

If I'm bad and don't use the mic should I bother joining a goon group or just forgo it?

Listening to the shot caller is more important than talking for the most part so get in Mumble and shoot robots with goons

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

You'll be fine as long as you type out premium owns every once in a while.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

Stand near a wall. 99% of LRMs will hit the wall instead of you.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Alright I've got 20 million C-Bills so I think I'm ready to buy my first mech. Anything wrong with the King Crab? It's the mech I liked playing the most out of the trial mechs. I mostly want to get up close to people and shoot auto cannons into their face, which variant lets me use dual AC/20's? I like zipping around in mediums too but I don't know the maps at all to put that mobility to very good use. Also whats with UAVs and airstrikes, it said some were added to my inventory but I don't know how to use them.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Nuebot posted:

So, my first attempt at making something without following a build guide. How bad is it? The plan is to harass things by making them over heat and shoot them with machine guns to make them sad.
Semi serious response, but 3 mgs ( 1.5 tonnes ammo max ) but only start using them when you've got open sections to shoot at - other side maybe 4x mpl for opening up sections but I see that getting hot wicked fast.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Repo Man posted:

I would like to occasionally roll with people in my terribad robutt builds. Also which CW group is currently doing IS? I need my IS mech bays to max out the thunderbolt. After that I want to keep working the clans, even though holy poo poo the amount of damage I can output on the IS side is crazy. Thank you, Atlas DC, for being my new money maker.

In game as CdeMonteCristo, thanks.

Tried to add that name, doesn't exist.

e: done, accept the friend and i'll send you a unit invite

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 21, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Axetrain posted:

Alright I've got 20 million C-Bills so I think I'm ready to buy my first mech. Anything wrong with the King Crab? It's the mech I liked playing the most out of the trial mechs. I mostly want to get up close to people and shoot auto cannons into their face, which variant lets me use dual AC/20's? I like zipping around in mediums too but I don't know the maps at all to put that mobility to very good use. Also whats with UAVs and airstrikes, it said some were added to my inventory but I don't know how to use them.

To use UAV's and all that, go to the Mech Loadout screen, then Modules. It's under consumables. Most consumables cost you 40K C-Bills per use (1 use per match), and one is only like...15K? The really weak coolant module I think. You can select to have those modules reload after matches for the C-Bill cost. Make sure not to select the ones that cost MC. You sometimes get those in events. They are slightly more useful versions of the C-Bill variants.

That's odd, Sebmojo. Maybe I have spaces in there. I'm so used to accounts not allowing spaces in names. In that case it would be C de Monte Cristo. Otherwise give me your name and I'll add it.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Getting the assists has been the hardest part of this challenge. I've been completely wrecking everything with the new Jenner. :black101:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

Semi serious response, but 3 mgs ( 1.5 tonnes ammo max ) but only start using them when you've got open sections to shoot at - other side maybe 4x mpl for opening up sections but I see that getting hot wicked fast.

If I ever decide to actually give it a serious shot I'll try this, actually. It will probably get hot fast but I imagine this thing is probably better suited for quick strikes because it can't really take that much damage. In any event it's unlikely to replace King Crab as my favorite so far.

EDIT: So I tried it out and I got a kill assist at least. I don't know how you people do it though, it's like playing as an ant.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 21, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

A.o.D. posted:

Stormcrows are better than Shadowcats. They're also lots of fun no matter how you run them.

I'm not arguing with that, however shadowcats are ten tons lighter, have ECM, and are the closest things to LAMs in the game. They basically fly.

Nuebot: This isn't made clear but machineguns basically do nothing against armor. You have to actually target an opponent and look for an area that's been stripped of armor. Against an unarmored spot they do full damage and "crit-seek", IE: Destroy things equipped there like guns, ammo, or heat sinks. Hence they REALLY don't need a lot of ammo, I use half a ton for 4 MGs and just stay really tight on firing them until I know specifically what I have to target.

I wouldn't recommend a half ton on 4mgs unless you really know what you're doing but a single ton on 3 or less is going to be fine if you remember to only use them on mechs that have armor stripped off.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've been having a good time running my old Hunchback-4SP with 5xML + 2x SRM4. It actually seems like it works almost as well as the stormcrow bastards now, other than being slightly slower. Glad some of the old mechs are actually useful again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what's the deal with the black knight? It seems to be the only mech you can't buy with credits at all.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Well I reinstalled Mech warrior online again. Time to have "fun" I guess. At least my Laser drilldo Stalker is still apparantly good :toot:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, I swapped out my UAC/5's for some AC20's just to see how they handled and it's kind of hilarious. I only have like 64 ammo but they really, really don't like it when they get hit. Downside is that there might not be enough heatsinks in the world to keep me going.

Don't fire them both at the same time, you get hit with Ghost Heat and have a bad time unless they changed this recently.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with the black knight? It seems to be the only mech you can't buy with credits at all.

That's the :pgi: rub.

You can pre-purchase or buy newly relesed robot packs for real money.

A month or so later, you can buy them with the premium currency (MC) or see above.

@1-2 months after that, the robots can be bought with space-poor credits, or see all of the above.

Note that robots bought with the first and second option may have c-bill or XP perks to sweeten the deal, but a robot bought with credits will NEVER have those bonuses.

The Black Knight came out just 2-3 months ago and should go on sale for cbills "soon-ish"? I'd know the date if the robot weren't so undewhelming that I don't care. :effort:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yesterday I thought "well I'm having fun with the game again, and I value my time more than my money so let's give PGI some cash, I'll gwt one of those mastery packs everyone is talking about".

Then I realised that was 30€. What the gently caress :pgi: , has no one there heard about micro transactions?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Gotta say, finding a working build for the loyalty Wolverine is like pulling teeth.

The MASC is marvellous, though.

EDIT: This is what I've ended up with. It's best used in conjunction with other robots with bigger guns to take full advantage of damaged armor and insides.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 21, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Then I realised that was 30€. What the gently caress :pgi: , has no one there heard about micro transactions?

Macrotransactions are the way of the future, man.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I, too, reinstalled robots yesterday. I sold off most of my sellable mechs only keeping the Atlas D-DC and the Stalker 3F. Fitted both with Artemis. Played a few games, had some fun. Absolutely dismantled a Dire Wolf who took on my Rhino at point blank range. Felt good. I might hop on mumble at some point.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Number19 posted:

Listening to Talking over the shot caller is more important than talking for the most part anything else so get in Mumble and shoot robots with goons a mic and be A Bad.

FTFY

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I guess this bears repeating: machine guns should never be used except on joke builds.

They may actually be worse than nothing, since they give the illusion of dealing damage. Misled players may end up firing machine guns between alphas, pissing their ineffectual damage over the front of an enemy mech, instead of torso twisting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

various cheeses posted:

I guess this bears repeating: machine guns should never be used except on joke builds.

They may actually be worse than nothing, since they give the illusion of dealing damage. Misled players may end up firing machine guns between alphas, pissing their ineffectual damage over the front of an enemy mech, instead of torso twisting.

yeah you need bare minimum like ... six to make them worthwhile, and even then the tonnage is better spent elsewhere

there are a few unreleased 'mechs that have something crazy like 12 machine guns, so that could be a Thing, but until then /shrug

also the Archer's missile doors are going to be a separate hitbox: https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/678723021780074496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ice Fist posted:

I, too, reinstalled robots yesterday. I sold off most of my sellable mechs only keeping the Atlas D-DC and the Stalker 3F. Fitted both with Artemis. Played a few games, had some fun. Absolutely dismantled a Dire Wolf who took on my Rhino at point blank range. Felt good. I might hop on mumble at some point.

You better have 6m cbills in reserve mother fucker.

• Locked thread