Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

ID laws are apparently only for adults. It seems like an oversight that this is even legal, it's bad enough that you even have to carry ID while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

open24hours posted:

ID laws are apparently only for adults. It seems like an oversight that this is even legal, it's bad enough that you even have to carry ID while driving.

Not trolling here, but why is having to carry ID bad? I'm legitimately curious.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dude McAwesome posted:

It's problematic for people who don't have *approved* ID. Just like with voter ID laws.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Makes sense for driving sinc eyou will have a drivers license to be legally allowed to drive. But you don't need a license to cycle, so you could conceivably not own a photo ID.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Dude McAwesome posted:

For the same reason it would be bad if you had to prove your innocence instead of them proving your guilt. ID laws are just a way for police to harass people and go on fishing trips when they don't like the looks of someone.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I don't like the photo ID part of the law but the upped fines for going through red lights and crossings and the like are great. Hopefully they actually get applied at some point since the amount of cyclists I see going straight through those is ridiculous.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amoeba102 posted:

Makes sense for driving sinc eyou will have a drivers license to be legally allowed to drive. But you don't need a license to cycle, so you could conceivably not own a photo ID.

Yeah, the biggest problem group with every type of photo ID, it seems, are people who don't have a driver's license. Getting properly workable photo ID outside of a driver's license can be a loving task, especially if you need to shoot for a Proof of Age card and aren't tremendously well-grounded in the sorts of thigns they ask for.

Annoyingly, the easiest way to get a Proof of Age card is to have a driver's license, but if you have a driver's license you don't need it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

For the same reason it would be bad if you had to prove your innocence instead of them proving your guilt. ID laws are just a way for police to harass people and go on fishing trips when they don't like the looks of someone.

dulux_colour_chart.jpg

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

iajanus posted:

I don't like the photo ID part of the law but the upped fines for going through red lights and crossings and the like are great. Hopefully they actually get applied at some point since the amount of cyclists I see going straight through those is ridiculous.

It doesn't stop drivers from doing it at all and sure as poo poo doesn't get enforced there. It's about making life difficult for cyclists and not for any safety purpose.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

It doesn't stop drivers from doing it at all and sure as poo poo doesn't get enforced there. It's about making life difficult for cyclists and not for any safety purpose.

That doesn't seem to parse for me, can you please explain your post? I'm reasonably certain I've observed drivers being pulled over for going through red lights and the like, and although it's not a perfect system it's hard not to argue it's a safety feature. Why shouldn't cyclists be required to obey road rules, and how is this attempting to make their lives difficult (ignoring the ID part at the moment, which clearly is stupid at best).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The ID requirement is dumb as hell but we gotta stop the brown people so v0v

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

Where do you live that laws against running a red light or not stopping for pedestrians at a crossing are not enforced?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

helmet bike chat

let the games begin

I will never understand some peoples antagonism towards cyclists.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

iajanus posted:

That doesn't seem to parse for me, can you please explain your post? I'm reasonably certain I've observed drivers being pulled over for going through red lights and the like, and although it's not a perfect system it's hard not to argue it's a safety feature. Why shouldn't cyclists be required to obey road rules, and how is this attempting to make their lives difficult (ignoring the ID part at the moment, which clearly is stupid at best).

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules all of this is just to punish cyclists and make it less appealing / more of a hassle. If they gave a poo poo about making things safer for road users then they'd ensure that existing rules are enforced and add rules in to provide cyclists with much stronger protection from their biggest danger which is cars.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

BBJoey posted:

Where do you live that laws against running a red light or not stopping for pedestrians at a crossing are not enforced?

Sydney, I've nearly been hit by police at pedestrian crossings and they still just do the 'lol sorry didn't see you' wave and gently caress right off. As for red lights, given how cavalier people are around them the rules aren't enforced anywhere near enough to make people give a poo poo about it.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Why not just make it four THOUSAND dollars and then nobody will ever think about doing it again.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've actually been hit by cyclist at a traffic light in Brisbane, whilst I started crossing the road at the lights the cyclist just came out of the traffic and hit me. He was like "oh sorry mate" and then just kept riding

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules all of this is just to punish cyclists and make it less appealing / more of a hassle. If they gave a poo poo about making things safer for road users then they'd ensure that existing rules are enforced and add rules in to provide cyclists with much stronger protection from their biggest danger which is cars.

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules but (from my limited experience) there are a number of them that appear to not care about doing so. As such, the punishment appears not to be effective in being a deterrent. It would be nicer if the rules we have were enforced against cyclists more, but in the meantime this would seem to be a decent stopgap to "encourage" cyclists to obey the law. We should definitely be doing as much as we can to help protect cyclists from cars, but in the meantime we are actually capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time and can do this too. We should definitely be trying to enforce the rules against other road-users, too, and I'd be fine if there was a fine hike on those sorts of of offences against them too since these are the kinds of infringements that can extremely easily turn deadly (as opposed to parking fines and the like which generally harm nobody, at least not physically).

Are you seriously saying that by making it expensive for cyclists to run red lights it'll be unappealing to ride your bike or a massive hassle? Really?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Motor vehicle driver training is seriously lacking WRT how to actually deal with cyclists on the road. Having John Shitdick driving and getting mad about the people who don't "pay rego or nuthin but they hog the road" isn't actually helping at all.

Also better road design with actual bike lanes would help aswell

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

Cyclists are already required to obey road rules but (from my limited experience) there are a number of them that appear to not care about doing so. As such, the punishment appears not to be effective in being a deterrent. It would be nicer if the rules we have were enforced against cyclists more, but in the meantime this would seem to be a decent stopgap to "encourage" cyclists to obey the law. We should definitely be doing as much as we can to help protect cyclists from cars, but in the meantime we are actually capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time and can do this too. We should definitely be trying to enforce the rules against other road-users, too, and I'd be fine if there was a fine hike on those sorts of of offences against them too since these are the kinds of infringements that can extremely easily turn deadly (as opposed to parking fines and the like which generally harm nobody, at least not physically).

Are you seriously saying that by making it expensive for cyclists to run red lights it'll be unappealing to ride your bike or a massive hassle? Really?

So close.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yes? The current fine is hilariously low and wouldn't make most people blink. This is actually something we are allowed to rectify. More enforcement is also critical.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This government has also been ripping up bike paths left right and centre. This is nothing but another punitive step in the interest of making sure no one rides bikes.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Yes. The goal is to make riding a bike slightly more annoying and thus make you just go "ugh gently caress this I'll just drive". Like helmets.

edit: here's a cool article (from a British point of view) about why almost everyone would rather cycling didn't take off
https://medium.com/@lastwheel/peddling-bullshit-d187631e3ede#.a6t6v58kl

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had to visit Sydney quite a bit and I cant even envision myself driving, much less cycling in that city's nightmare traffic

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lol just lol if you live anywhere outside a 10km radius from the city of sydney and use a bike as a primary form of transport. it was never intended and should never be trusted unless you dont value you life.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sydney: not intended to be lived in.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So in a shocking turn of events the government is recommending that weekend penalty rates be cut for retail workers.

FOAD, you bastards.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The listing isn't up any more, does anyone know if someone paid 90K for that weed hat?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Xerxes17 posted:

So in a shocking turn of events the government is recommending that weekend penalty rates be cut for retail workers.

FOAD, you bastards.

Hospitality, isn't it? Still hosed.

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
For those who are against raising the fines for cyclists running red lights / failing to stop at pedestrian crossings to match the monetary value for committing the same offense in a car, can you please tell me why?

So far I've seen two reasons:

1) The rules aren't enforced anyway, so why bother (??? lol)
2) It's a disincentive for cycling

Both of which do not parse for me.

I am a cyclist who commutes 90 km a week. I see no problem with cyclists facing the same penalties for breaking traffic rules as those in cars.

However, ID laws can gently caress off.
Helmet laws, well, I don't care either way. If removing helmet laws gets more people on bikes, then great. However, I will always wear a helmet because I'm not an idiot.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

my stepdads beer posted:

Hospitality, isn't it? Still hosed.
Entertainment, Hospitality and Retail. Utterly no surprises here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-21/productivity-commission-recommends-changes-to-penalty-rates/7045624

quote:

Penalty rates: Productivity Commission recommends changes to weekend pay for entertainment, hospitality and retail workers By political reporter Stephanie Anderson Updated about an hour ago

The Productivity Commission has recommended changes to weekend penalty rates, calling for Sunday rates to be brought into line with Saturday's time-and-a-half payments.

Key points:

No changes recommended to overtime or night penalty rates or shift loadings
Commission says penalty rates should continue to be set by the Fair Work Commission
Government will examine recommendations and any changes will be taken to next election
Labor opposed to any changes to penalty rates
The recommendations — laid out in the commission's final report into workplace relations released today — would affect workers in the entertainment, hospitality and retail industries, if adopted.

The commission did not recommend any changes to overtime penalty rates, night penalty rates or shift loadings, nor changes to rates for nurses, teachers or emergency services workers. "Penalty rates have a legitimate role in compensating employees for working long hours or at asocial times," it stated. "However, Sunday penalty rates for hospitality, entertainment, retailing, restaurants and cafes are inconsistent across similar work, anachronistic in the context of changing consumer preferences, and frustrate the job aspirations of the unemployed and those who are only available for work on Sunday. Rates should be aligned with those on Saturday, creating a weekend rate for each of the relevant industries."

Announcing the report's findings, Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said the Government would examine the recommendations and, if the case for sensible and fair changes to workplace relations were outlined, they would be taken to the next election. Senator Cash said the commission recommended that penalty rates should continue to be set by the independent Fair Work Commission and the Government has no plan to change the rates itself. "The only recommendation that the Productivity Commission makes on penalty rates is directed to the independent Fair Work Commission and that is in relation to the weekend penalty rates for the retail and hospitality industry," she said. "Whether or not the independent Fair Work Commission accepts or rejects this particular recommendation is a matter for the Fair Work Commission."

Senator Cash said any changes would be taken to an election.

"The Government has said that if there is a good case for fair and sensible changes to the workplace relations framework, these will be clearly outlined and they will be taken to the Australian people and we will seek a mandate at the next election," she said. "That is what we promised and we intend to keep that promise."

The commission said that despite sometimes significant problems, Australia's workplace relations system was not systematically dysfunctional. "It needs repair, not replacement," it stated.

The Commission made almost 70 recommendations unrelated to penalty rates, including:

Commissioning a comprehensive review of apprenticeship and traineeship agreements
The introduction of measures that encourage migrants to report exploitation
Changes to unfair dismissal laws, including more hurdles to clear before taking it to arbitration
The Commission also recommended the creation of a new organisation to review modern awards and the minimum wage.

Turnbull's Christmas gift no worker wants: Labor

The Federal Opposition has been vocal in its campaign against any potential changes. Labor's workplace spokesman Brendan O'Connor described the report as Prime Minister "Malcolm Turnbull's gift that no worker wants for Christmas". Mr O'Connor said called on the Government to reject the recommendation to change penalty rates. "We want to see the economy grow, but people share in that growth," he said. "The fact is we do have a weekend where people enjoy themselves, spend time with their families. "We usually have weddings, christenings, birthdays, sporting events, most often are on weekends, yet of course we have millions of Australians who work on those days providing services and goods to the bulk of Australians. They should be rewarded for the deprivation that they have insofar as spending time with their friends, their family, and others."

Retailers support clarity over migrant worker rules

Mr O'Connor conceded some of the work by the commission "has been good work", a comment backed by the head of the Australian Retailers' Association. The association's executive director, Russell Zimmerman, supported the recommendation to change the Fair Work Act to clarify migrants working illegally would be covered and could seek compensation if underpaid. It comes after convenience store 7-Eleven was found to have underpaid migrant workers and forced some to breach their visa conditions. Mr Zimmerman acknowledged it had been an issue for the industry. "There has been an incredibly large amount of publicity around that at the moment and I know that many, many employers are very concerned about that, particularly in the franchising industry," he said. "They're checking through their franchisees to make sure that they are compliant with the awards."

So typical Tory small target strategy. Strip Entertainment, Hospitality and Retail workers of their rights because who the gently caress cares about those tossers. Two tiered IR landscapes are the utter death of egalitarianism. This is the thin edge of a very loving nasty wedge.

-/-

Here's a piece on our tax dilema from Ian Verrender.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-21/verrender-how-our-tax-take-has-been-royally-scrooged/7044470

-/-

Speaking of the ALP (Well if I don't nobody will). What ever happened to darling of the left Doug Cameron? He's a shadow minister but I haven't heard squat from him.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Paracetamol posted:

For those who are against raising the fines for cyclists running red lights / failing to stop at pedestrian crossings to match the monetary value for committing the same offense in a car, can you please tell me why?

So far I've seen two reasons:

1) The rules aren't enforced anyway, so why bother (??? lol)
2) It's a disincentive for cycling

Both of which do not parse for me.

I am a cyclist who commutes 90 km a week. I see no problem with cyclists facing the same penalties for breaking traffic rules as those in cars.

However, ID laws can gently caress off.
Helmet laws, well, I don't care either way. If removing helmet laws gets more people on bikes, then great. However, I will always wear a helmet because I'm not an idiot.

It should be a much heavier punishment for breaking road rules in a car because you cause more harm in a car.

We should be discouraging car travel and encouraging cycling, for all the reasons you probably already know.

If you aren't an idiot why don't you know this already? (I am being deliberately antagonistic because helmets don't make enough a difference either way so that isn't a good enough justification)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

It should be a much heavier punishment for breaking road rules in a car because you cause more harm in a car.

Should they also scale by the weight and type of your car, and what pedestrian safety instruments it has?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

hooman posted:

Should they also scale by the weight and type of your car, and what pedestrian safety instruments it has?

Yes because there is a smaller chance of death if you get hit by a ford than a holden

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

Yes because there is a smaller chance of death if you get hit by a ford than a holden

There's a substantial difference in your chance of death if you get hit by a sedan and a 4wd though.

EDIT for data: "Compared with cars, the RR of killing a pedestrian per vehicle mile was 7.97 (95% CI 6.33 to 10.04) for buses; 1.93 (95% CI 1.30 to 2.86) for motorcycles; 1.45 (95% CI 1.37 to 1.55) for light trucks, and 0.96 (95% CI 0.79 to 1.18) for heavy trucks."

EDIT2: From here: http://cyclinguphill.com/safe-cycling-stats-cycle-casualties/
Seems like there are more casualties on bikes than on cars per mile used so cycling penalties should be higher, and pedestrian penalties super high.

Or maybe we accept that all the people operating under the same road rules should have the sames fines for breaking those rules. Rather than trying to rate things by dangerousness?

hooman fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

asio posted:

We should be discouraging car travel and encouraging cycling, for all the reasons you probably already know.

If you aren't an idiot why don't you know this already? (I am being deliberately antagonistic because helmets don't make enough a difference either way so that isn't a good enough justification)

Thank you for giving me a decent reason. Sure, if you hit something/someone on a bike you will do less harm than someone in a car. But it's not just about what you can do, it's also the harm that may arise as a direct result of your actions - a cyclist running a red light can cause plenty of harm indirectly by causing other people to crash to avoid you.

I have had at least two good crashes where a helmet has saved me from hitting my head. I can't remember the details of the study, but below a certain speed I thought helmets do make a difference?

hooman posted:

That was also a question in the back of my mind.

Edit: What's RR?

Paracetamol fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 21, 2015

asio
Nov 29, 2008

hooman posted:

There's a substantial difference in your chance of death if you get hit by a sedan and a 4wd though.

Ok well I'm stumped now, you've got me confused. Let me get back to you tomorrow after I've stood in front of some moving traffic to see which hurts more.

The number bicycle adovcacy groups use is the likelihood of getting hit in the first place. The safe number is 40km/h. Faster than that and the chance of suffering severe injury/death rises to almost 100% past 60km/h. The question of which kind of vehicle hurts more is so unimportant no one taking action on this issue really cares. It's like asking if you'd rather be eaten by ants or lions; uh, neither?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Paracetamol posted:

Thank you for giving me a decent reason. Sure, if you hit something/someone on a bike you will do less harm than someone in a car. But it's not just about what you can do, it's also the harm that may arise as a direct result of your actions - a cyclist running a red light can cause plenty of harm indirectly by causing other people to crash to avoid you.

I have had at least two good crashes where a helmet has saved me from hitting my head. I can't remember the details of the study, but below a certain speed I thought helmets do make a difference?

That was also a question in the back of my mind.

Edit: What's RR?

Relative Risks. Should probably include the link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1730245/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder if distance is the best measure to compare car and motorcycle deaths to walking and cycling. Time traveling might be better, walking and cycling are slow so you spend more time exposed to risk per kilometre traveled.

• Locked thread