Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Well I guess something positive at least has come from this thread, thanks to that video I finally know how to do long division! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Let's wrap this EPROW weekend up

:rimshot:

What's the Implication there, Dennis?

Agree, unironically

Racism

I've shared this before, but again, let's talk about how they assume these ladies are on welfare. I wonder why.

:cry: quit calling us racist! That's not fair!

Would be less racist than the r word

Neither have Paul Ryan or Scott Walker, by this measure

I'm not really sure what the complaint is specifically, but generally it's this next one:

Act like a jagoff redneck or get out.

The gently caress have you contributed to humanity recently, racist?

Some nice solid copyright infringement

Babby that doesn't yet speak English

Did I put this one with the No One Owes You Anything macro? too lazy to look

Literally everyone hates you: sign of good thing

The day after Benghazi /= During the massacre

Obama hates america, wants to destroy it, yadda yadda, what else you got?

This one almost made the Top 10. Gay Nazi Pinnochio, unf that's the stuff

No u

DDOG doesn't go in for much on the Jesus side.

Yes, them too. Go gently caress yourself.

What you miss is being a child of pure ID

by all means, listen to Putin

Contrary to popular belief, football /= war

Does anyone remember the Long Island garbage barge?

[citation needed]

lot of guys died that winter could probably have used some healthcare

Was anyone questioning this?

EPORW not offended? I'll believe it when i see it

Series of macros all but demanding armed conflict against ISIS, Iran, RaHoWa, the federal government, you name it

Gun sequester section

No they shouldn't, gun manufacturers should. Get out.

:raise:
what am I looking at here?

FACT

or maybe we could live in a country where randos don't have pistols to shoot the guy's dog with

:bravo:
For fun, see what he edited between the changelogs

If the british invaded again?

Calling Guy Fawkes a "patriot" really stretches the definition

This is a weapon. I am a TOOL.

Def gonna regret not shooting someone

I think this goes in the guns section, or it could be an electric keyboard, hard to tell

Yeah if he'd had an uzi he could have done a nice clean mass murder suicide, then where would we be?

Tremors?

I'm a real douchebag of a neighbor, and have never heard of a security system

I think some of these meant it as a bad thing guys

enough ammunition for what now?

img-cascadingFUCKYOU leave Spock out of this you violent fucks
Do you want a MEDAL for not murdering everyone you disagree with?

Spokesperson: a fictional retarded person. Gj

Not anymore, because you're dead.

bill of needs

Um I think you need to read that story again

lord

The new messaging seems to be you have to exist in a constant state of being as armed as physically possible or you will literally die. Kind of reminds me of the what you don't know will kill you news at 11 trope

Stretching the definition of "fact" here

and covered in jizz

Is that a velociraptor?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Nope, can't think of anything they've contributed. Now, back to studying for my Algebra exam.

"You know those guns that are, like- double guns?"

Your regular reminder that laws are completely optional.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 21, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is this for real?

expanding_ironicat.gif

I'm unironically okay with this.

Pretty sure you're not supposed to cram weapons into a locker the way I crammed textbooks as a kid.
Gun owners itt what say you? Any official rules on the matter?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

How do you do this without killing your liver :(

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How do you do this without killing your liver :(

I don't read the articles

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

"House contains a lot of guns to steal. Come back and rob my house at noon when I'm at work."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SSNeoman posted:

Is this for real?

There are prison ships.
But only to alleviate the over population of normal land ones, cheaper to rent/buy one and move it to where its needed than build new ones that may not be needed in future.
The UK had to use some a few years back, couldn't be arsed to google if they still are.
Not sure if the US uses them.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FACT: You can waste a medical professional's time and your own money by not answering their questions or outright lying!

Next week: Can you lie to your attorney? The answer may surprise you!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Pretty sure you're not supposed to cram weapons into a locker the way I crammed textbooks as a kid.
Gun owners itt what say you? Any official rules on the matter?

I don't see anything in there that combines valuable and delicate, so stack them. No harm done.

(Please don't report this post.)

Jurgan posted:

"You know those guns that are, like- double guns?"

Its just a pistol with a stock attached, which invokes ye old convoluted rules that read like 3.5's grappling system, except with more felonies involved.

Jurgan posted:

Your regular reminder that laws are completely optional.

More like a reminder that "malum in se" and "malum prohibitum" are distinct legal concepts.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

LeJackal posted:

Its just a pistol with a stock attached, which invokes ye old convoluted rules that read like 3.5's grappling system, except with more felonies involved.

To expand: The ATF classifies pistols with added stocks as Short-barrel rifles (SBRs). SBR's are under the same regulations as automatic weapons, but there is a thriving market in the grey area of "wrist supports" that can be used as stocks. Things also get fucky when you get into pistols made modeled after rifles such as

that are often used as a way to skirt SBR rules. It is a pistol because it doesn't have a stock, add a stock and it is an SBR and likely illegal unless you have a Federal Firearms Licence (likely a class 01 dealers licence, I think only a handful of revolvers with stocks fall under a Class 03 Curios and Relics licence.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The levels of this picture are fascinating. It goes deep.

It's a timehop, so it was posted several years ago (at least three according to the paper in the picture). Then someone decided to print it, I'm assuming so they could show it to people at work, but even that doesn't make sense since everywhere we go there are computers or phones with internet access. Either way they printed it out for some reason, and I'm assuming they carried it with them somewhere because it's creased as if it were folded in someone's pocket. Then someone else decided this was such a funny thing that they just had to share it to social media (again), but they didn't want to type it out so they took a picture with their cell phone (and didn't even bother to flatten out the paper or anything), where through the magic of the internet it ended up being shared by the "Donald Trump For President 2016!!!!!!" Facebook group (the one with six exclamation points).

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Trivia posted:

Has it not occurred to any of these people to ask their kid to teach them the new math? Jesus not only do you get to learn a new method, but having your kid teach you something helps them exhibit mastery over the subject. Seems win-win to me.

Also, tutoring other people (even if they just play dumb for the sake of the roleplay) is one of the best learning methods.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

An in-law of mine has a Molon Lobe sticker on his car. Ugh. I guess he has enough sense not to use III% (because he'd never be in military).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Defenestration posted:

I don't get it :-(

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

An in-law of mine has a Molon Lobe sticker on his car. Ugh. I guess he has enough sense not to use III% (because he'd never be in military).

I find it very amusing that they use the Roman numeral for "3" when writing out 3%. For one, I'm pretty sure Romans didn't use percentages.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

I don't get it :-(
Given the target-rich environment, he chose to go with walkinh -> walking

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DarkHorse posted:

Given the target-rich environment, he chose to go with walkinh -> walking

And wqs-> was.

Jurgan posted:

I find it very amusing that they use the Roman numeral for "3" when writing out 3%. For one, I'm pretty sure Romans didn't use percentages.

The Romans did things like taxes in 1/100ths commonly enough, and the term itself is from (modern) Latin, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable. They wouldn't have used the % symbol, but I suspect that if you expressed something "per centum" to a literate Roman they would have followed along.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Defenestration posted:

I don't read the articles

Yeah, that's what did me in. I had a compulsion to read and mock all of it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, that's what did me in. I had a compulsion to read and mock all of it.
mocking macros with friends is the good part

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had a friend post this which was enough to annoy me:

Which I responded to with this:

"This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'll ignore the fact that the implication of this holds that my generation (because of course this is about young people, because it's certainly not the generation of the people who create and post things like this) is entirely "spoiled, entitled brats" despite not having been alive to make the decisions to mortgage a future they would have to live in for a past that their parents largely benefited from. If a police officer breaks a law, acting in their capacity as a police officer, with justification, it's abuse of power. And if they act violently toward someone who wasn't threatening anyone's lives or health, then it's brutality, the person on the other end, regardless of color, race, gender, or any possible crimes they may have committed or been accused of committing doesn't matter. Someone who gets shot, and then shot 15 more times while lying on the ground was brutalized. Someone who was put in the back of a van and violently bounced around while restrained until their spine snaps was brutalized. Someone who was choked to death, someone who was shot while clearly not being a threat to themselves or others, someone who was roughed up while cooperating with the officer, they were brutalized. It doesn't matter if they were talking back, if they were accused of a crime, if they had committed a crime in the past, if they were being rude, because if you're a police officer, you have to restrain yourself. You're not allowed to let emotion take over, because if you make a mistake, you're not only doing so while representing yourself, you're doing so while representing your department, and your government.

In short: Let's not go about blaming the victims here. If you leave your car unlocked, I'm not any less guilty of theft if I take from it. If you're rude to a cop, you're no less guilty of being assaulted if they throw you to the ground violently, and you're certainly no less dead if they shoot you."

It's a little all over, because I was really, really annoyed, but still. I also posted a picture of the Red Guy from Cow and Chicken because it would make a lot more sense coming from him than from Chicken.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Or just this.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Cops have a guy on the ground

One cop shoots the other cop

Shot cop plants a gun

Shot cop then kills the person who did not shoot him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Defenestration posted:

mocking macros with friends is the good part

I mean to them, not just here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Or just this.

Yeah, that's coincidentally perfect.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Defenestration posted:

and covered in jizz

I'm the approximately 100 mags being stored fully loaded, my springs gradually compressing as my owner whiles away the years desperately hoping for the opportunity to end a human life, making double feeds substantially more likely in the event I'm ever used.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Defenestration posted:

You call that a changelog!

For context, the post I made was VERY sarcastic, so someone else tried to throw it back at me. The implication is that I'm the one who has never served in the military etc.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

I mean to them, not just here.
oh gosh, never

LonsomeSon posted:

I'm the approximately 100 mags being stored fully loaded, my springs gradually compressing as my owner whiles away the years desperately hoping for the opportunity to end a human life, making double feeds substantially more likely in the event I'm ever used.
See now this is the kind of gun pedantry that I can endorse

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I want to punch this baby, all the times I've seen it used to parrot idiocy. What has this thread done to me? :(

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

LonsomeSon posted:

There's a whole gun nut debate as to whether the continued compression of keeping mags loaded, or compression cycles from loading and unloading mags with the intent of keeping them fresh, is worse for longevity.

lol

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mo_Steel posted:

I want to punch this baby, all the times I've seen it used to parrot idiocy. What has this thread done to me? :(

It's okay, my bile rises reflexively whenever I see a minion now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TerminalSaint posted:

There's a whole gun nut debate as to whether the continued compression of keeping mags loaded, or compression cycles from loading and unloading mags with the intent of keeping them fresh, is worse for longevity.

lol

The solution: keep them unloaded until you're ready to use them

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

And wqs-> was.

The Romans did things like taxes in 1/100ths commonly enough, and the term itself is from (modern) Latin, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable. They wouldn't have used the % symbol, but I suspect that if you expressed something "per centum" to a literate Roman they would have followed along.

Could be. Mathematics was somewhat primitive at that time. Roman numerals are nice for display, but they're very impractical for doing actual calculations, which wasn't a problem because they didn't do that many calculations anyway.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

TerminalSaint posted:

lol

Huh, I actually didn't know that. Based solely on my Physics I understanding of springs, I have absolutely no idea how someone could actually think that leaving a spring compressed for several years would somehow make it work better.

In any case, it was certainly true for the beat-to-poo poo mags I used on deployment. Anytime I grabbed one of the spares out of our ammo cans (which were already packed when we signed over our truck from the previous unit), I was guaranteed to have one or two malfunctions, usually double feeds. Since I basically only ever used my rifle to fire warning shots at cars which were getting too close, it was never a big deal, but if I was hoarding ammo for any reason other than a desire to Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory, I would probably only keep ten or so mags ready. Loading them is a mechanical skill that these future barons of the wastelands will need to be practiced at, anyway, since they're so insistent on full-auto fire.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

387 * 2013 = 779,031

Here's a fun problem that's way more fun to solve creatively than with the algorithm.

You can rewrite the problem this way:

This is really useful for doing quick stuff on the GRE when they purposely use numbers too big for the calculator. For as much poo poo as standardized testing rightfully gets, they really go out of their way to find ways to accommodate those who use elegant methods to get answers rather than brute force. I practiced on some SAT prep before doing to GRE prep and the transition was smooth as hell.

Doctor Butts posted:

I remember somewhere, I think it was the Hacker's Manifesto, or whatever, where the writer complained about being made to show his work when he could do it in his head.

It would seem like the newer method of teaching math kind of fits in with whatever his method was of solving the problem.

I know I certainly couldn't come up with some of the answers in my head based on how I was taught.

It also reminds me about those 'Do math REALLY FAST!' videos they used to sell on shows like 'Amazing Discoveries' infomercials. From what I remember, the examples they used on the show looked a lot like how these new math lessons are trying to teach kids to work with numbers.

There's also a pretty big failure in how we were taught math in high school to really connect the seemingly disparate points of stuff like algebra 2 with polynomials and things we learned in elementary school, like multidigit multiplication. Like if you were asked to multiply 123 x 34, you'd write them on top of each other, start with the 4, multiply up to the 3, carry the one, then to the 2 add the 1 from the carry, etc.

But if you write out those same operations horizontally, it becomes (100 + 20 + 3)(30 + 4), and you see that each step you're doing is based entirely off the distributive property:
4(100) + 4(20) + 4(3) + 30(100) + 30(20) + 30(4)

But maybe it's easier to write it as (120 + 3)(30 + 4) and distribute like that. Or factor a 3 out of the first grouping and a 2 out of the second so it becomes (2)(3)(40 + 1)(15 +2) = 6(41)(17)

It becomes really easy to then just replace a number here or there with an x and just say "well we don't know what x is, but with some stuff we've been doing all along...." (4x + 3)(x + 4)

I had to poke around these things for myself but helping some cousins with studying and seeing the way they're learning math has got me pretty jealous. The pettiness their parents (or facebook meme makers, apparently) inflict on the kids, simply because they don't get it, really sets the kids up for failure.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 21, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

lol

The unambiguous metallurgical answer is that a continuously compressed spring will gradually deform and assume that shape...but if the alloy is selected properly and the spring is designed correctly, there will be no change in its properties over at least a million compression cycles.

So, keep your magazines unloaded.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

The real problem isn't "aggressive" civilians.

The real problem is we now have an entire generation of spoiled, entitled cops, who believe rules and laws don't apply to them and supervisors who refuse to supervise and hold their "little law-enforcers" accountable for their behavior.

Can't wait how this one turns out.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If an armed society is a polite society don't Iran and Israel both have a right to open carry nukes?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Wanamingo posted:

The solution: keep them unloaded until you're ready to use them

But but but but what about a home invasion?? Or what if a terrorist starts attacking people at the movie theater downtown and since the police are useless (unless they kill a black kidstand their ground and become a hero we ahould never judge) and I have to drive back to my house and get my BushMaster and shoot them dead? Do you want to waste time loading the things? Are you a terrorist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The "Armed society is a police society" idea is designed so that "certain people" get to have unrestricted access to guns and "other people" get to be assumed to have guns which is why they can be killed for being dangerous regardless of if they are armed or not. Twelve year olds being executed by police for holding toy guns and the justice system siding with the cops while white guys get to walk into Starbucks packing rifles and no one cares is the result of this.