Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Freakus posted:

I don't actually aim for perfect stability - I prefer to play my rulers as I think they would act. But given no negative consequences to stripping titles, why wouldn't an arbitrary zealot strip the titles of all heathens in their realm?

I always like RPing emotionally unstable vikings. Especially right after making a custom Empire full of Norse Kings that cuck and do most poo poo on their own hand. It can get very freaky very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is slightly on the technical side, but I just finished watching http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020882/Emergent-Stories-in-Crusader-Kings and he mentioned that CKII has tens of thousands of AI agents that all plot simultaneously- do you guys have any idea how granular most of their activity is? I barely notice anything not directly connected to my guy, so I never thought about how much things might be moving in other kingdoms.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gotta say though my favorite change so far besides making tribals not a horrible grind to upgrade every holding is letting female rulers lead their own armies. It's a shame I think they still can't take War Focus and duel people but whatever. It makes getting a daughter as an heir not as much of a pain in the rear end. It's also cool when you see, like, the 18 year old Queen of France lead her army against the Ummayads. It feels like some stuff that would have happened in real life.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can nomads not join Great Holy Wars or something? I reformed the Tengri faith, and my new vassal high priest quickly declared a Great Holy War, but it will not let me join in.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GSD posted:

Can nomads not join Great Holy Wars or something? I reformed the Tengri faith, and my new vassal high priest quickly declared a Great Holy War, but it will not let me join in.
I joined the Zorastrian Great Holy war fine. Are you already at war with the target through something else?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I joined the Zorastrian Great Holy war fine. Are you already at war with the target through something else?

Entirely at peace. I suppose I have truce with the target, maybe that is it? I wasn't aware it checked for that, but I guess it makes more sense than other options.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Coalitions sounds fantastic, I just hope we don't lose out on alt-history shenanigans for "historical accuracy" by making the empire of Lollard Britannia functionally impossible to achieve. I hope "fear of gigantic crushing army" balances infamy a bit. I don't want to be ganged up by every catholic in earshot, the holy wars are bad enough.

I mean, I can play an earlier version, but coalitions (and fix to tedious warscore games maybe???) is absolutely needed, so I don't want to miss out.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Don't worry should be fine. Only time I've seen coalitions go bonkers was because of Temujin went crazy after all my tweaks to his AI. So as long as you don't throw around 100k and eat half a continent in 10-20 years you should be fine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

This is slightly on the technical side, but I just finished watching http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020882/Emergent-Stories-in-Crusader-Kings and he mentioned that CKII has tens of thousands of AI agents that all plot simultaneously- do you guys have any idea how granular most of their activity is? I barely notice anything not directly connected to my guy, so I never thought about how much things might be moving in other kingdoms.

I'm going to guess that it's fairly coarse. There also really isn't a lot that needs to be crunched and you can really prune that sort of thing something fierce. You also wouldn't need to recalculate absolutely everything every single game day. Calculating tens of thousands of peoples' plots every single tick would probably bog down a computer but if you only did some of them it's less of a big deal. Plus a ton of it would not need to be recalculated all the time anyway. Dude already has a plot? Doesn't need another; let him sit on that for a year or two.

Each tick only calculate 10% of everybody and then rotate to another 10% next time or something. If something major changes then force recalcs for whatever is affected by that. So like if one guy dies and four people are plotting to murder him then force them to recalc their plotting. That forces only four people which is drops in the ocean. For example; I have no idea how they do it but I've done some calculation-heavy things and once you start bogging down a processor you start thinking "what can I not do?"

Really it's amazing how efficient you can make code once you figure out what all you can eliminate. In the case of tends of thousands of people you can eliminate a ton of stuff. You absolutely would not need to calculate every possible relation between all of them ever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah but this is PDS which apparently forgot they made every single Greek character check whether they could blind and/or castrate every single person they know every single day

or however that went. was hilarious, though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really it's amazing how efficient you can make code once you figure out what all you can eliminate. In the case of tends of thousands of people you can eliminate a ton of stuff. You absolutely would not need to calculate every possible relation between all of them ever.

That's what I was asking after, because of its connection to my (non-CKII) thing- I've been playing with it this afternoon to see how much active plotting people do, and as far as I can tell the only major non-military AI that occurs with any regularity behind the player's back is the stuff driving marriages/succession, which is pretty easy to tabulate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Way of Life expansion is on sale for pretty drat cheap. What do you guys make of it? Worth it? It's $2.50, but at first glance I can't tell if it adds a layer of fun, or just a layer of confusion and further obsfucation.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Way of Life expansion is on sale for pretty drat cheap. What do you guys make of it? Worth it? It's $2.50, but at first glance I can't tell if it adds a layer of fun, or just a layer of confusion and further obsfucation.

Way of Life is the best DLC since Old Gods, grab it for sure. It's the only DLC that puts more effort into adding RP elements and it's drat fun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Propaganda Machine posted:

With the sole exception of excessive cucking, Way of Life is like 100% cool & good, and honestly the cucking is pretty hilarious anyway and causes all kinds of shenanigans.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mister Adequate posted:

With the sole exception of excessive cucking, Way of Life is like 100% cool & good, and honestly the cucking is pretty hilarious anyway

For the first hour or so. After you get tired of it there are mods to settle it down.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
AI cucking comes free in a patch anyway, i think :downs:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As somebody who got it after the patch, the cucking isn't too bad, but I don't play too much.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like the cucking because it often gives me a reason to throw somebody in jail (and then the oubliette) when I want them out of the picture.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I love that one of the loading screens warns "carefully check the traits of your wife". It's like a giant sing saying "IF YOUR WIFE IS LUSTFUL AND DECEITFUL, PREPARE TO BE CUCKED MERCILESSLY!".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573078666&searchtext=

Take a bug, make it a mod. Huh.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I haven't played in a few months, what's a good easy start to get accustomed to the game again? (not ireland please)

I have every DLC.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Vikings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^ Tribal vikings are a bit tricky, though it's easy mode once you reformed and became feudal.

TorakFade posted:

So I haven't played in a few months, what's a good easy start to get accustomed to the game again? (not ireland please)

I have every DLC.

Byzantine Empire? Umayyad Sultanate? Charlemagne himself?

If you want to play a horde, Khazaria or Bulgaria are easy starts.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

TorakFade posted:

I have every DLC.

The Khazars are awesome in Old Gods start if you want someone nomadic to try. They are pretty easy to play too.

They are also the only playable Jews in the entire game, so that makes them extremely interesting too.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BillBear posted:

They are also the only playable Jews in the entire game, so that makes them extremely interesting too.

Semien is there too :ssh:

Khazars are about a hundred times stronger though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Siemen games are one of the biggest crapshoots but goddamn when you luck out its great

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

verbal enema posted:

Siemen games are one of the biggest crapshoots but goddamn when you luck out its great

I like to cheese things a bit and play Charlemagne Abyssinia. First thing I do is nail down Semien as a tributary Jew preserve. Once I've devoured most the miaphysite lands in Abyssinia I conquer Semien and use it to convert. I usually leave the Gideons tigriana(?) and later vassalize them though.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i honestly had no idea

sorry kiddo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 21, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Do you guys park your primary heir at your court until he takes over or do you land him? I've been giving mine a duchal title immediately at birth so he can generate some prestige, but more often than not he winds up squandering his carefully curated breeding and education by the time he comes of age by becoming a syphilitic and maimed idiot married to a wife with low states.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

moot the hopple posted:

Do you guys park your primary heir at your court until he takes over or do you land him? I've been giving mine a duchal title immediately at birth so he can generate some prestige, but more often than not he winds up squandering his carefully curated breeding and education by the time he comes of age by becoming a syphilitic and maimed idiot married to a wife with low states.

I keep them in my court until they've reached adulthood and I've married them to a good wife, then I land them. If you don't do that they'll end up educated by somebody loving stupid and then they'll choose a wife with garbage genetics.

Even this doesn't always work. I once set up a son as the leader of a vassal republic and married him to the genius daughter of the Byzantine Basileus first. Dude was loving set. But no, instead he gets caught loving his sister three times before having his perfect wife murdered so he could enjoy his new sisterwife.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 21, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

moot the hopple posted:

Unless it can be in no way avoided or it's critical to setting up a massive inheritance, having a landed heir is just asking for big, big trouble. He will gently caress around and get STDs, he'll get in fights and maim himself if not kill himself, he'll drop Ambitious for Content and Patient for Arbitrary, and he'll marry some lowborn imbecile just because she was the first available. The AI doesn't make optimal decisions, but it seems that your heir in particular is subject to going full brain damage.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

think of all the times you snickered after marrying off a genetic time bomb to the 2nd-in-line to the Byzantine throne

WHY WOULD YOU TRUST THE AI TO HANDLE YOUR HEIR

"hahaha, a Lisping, Weak Detached Priest, sure, here you go"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

You also have to remember that if you're alive for long enough, your incompetent mangled heir will also be responsible for their heir, and you can get even worse situations.

Sending heirs off is one great way to start working on wrecking your blob, though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Fun fact that I just discovered about nomads: Population only counts provinces that have empty capital holdings. Even if it has six other empty holding slots, a county with anything in its capital gets counted as 0 available population. On the one hand, this is useful for invasions since I don't need to actually give up any of those delightful provinces, on the other it does rather ruin my tendency to keep every county ready to hand to a vassal as needed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I keep wondering if I should try de-steppeifying the steppe. I have the money by now to do it with most of it that I control (Though taking over Khazaria would be a hassle by this point), just building temples in duchies, then throwing a chump in the them, giving them the duchy, then releasing. I could even probs still do it after the nerf, as I have around 19K banked at this point from pillage squads and parking my stuff on the silk road while cutting it off from the others.

Taking on the rest of the clans might be a hassle, but then again, I could just hire all the mercs in the world and throw them at the problem. I did do it once, with the "change govtype to tribal" thing, but it wasn't quite as amusing as doing it legit, by hand, as the nomads themselves.

Would create a shitload of Zorastrian theocracies though, which does dreadfully amuse me. Do rogue theocracies even do anything?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I keep wondering if I should try de-steppeifying the steppe. I have the money by now to do it with most of it that I control (Though taking over Khazaria would be a hassle by this point), just building temples in duchies, then throwing a chump in the them, giving them the duchy, then releasing. I could even probs still do it after the nerf, as I have around 19K banked at this point from pillage squads and parking my stuff on the silk road while cutting it off from the others.

Taking on the rest of the clans might be a hassle, but then again, I could just hire all the mercs in the world and throw them at the problem. I did do it once, with the "change govtype to tribal" thing, but it wasn't quite as amusing as doing it legit, by hand, as the nomads themselves.

Would create a shitload of Zorastrian theocracies though, which does dreadfully amuse me. Do rogue theocracies even do anything?
I almost did something like that in my previous game, though I did it by handing counties and duchies to existing feudal/tribal vassals, and occasionally granting their demand for their de jure counties. Except it'd be arguably worse/better, since that was connected to my effort to deal with troublesome vassals by handing them off to dynasty members. So instead of boatloads of one-province theocracies, there'd be a few dozen minor duchies and high chiefdoms holding land in every kingdom.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cool thing: My current ruler is 84 years old--he's the oldest person in the known world--and still going strong in the 61st year of his reign. Between his 19 Diplomacy and gigantic Long Reign bonus most of his vassals love him thrice over. So I'm taking the opportunity to revoke like four duchies from Ambitious people who will be obvious problems for his heir, and just holding onto them; even with the tyranny and too many duchies and too many elector titles penalties, it's still not enough to gently caress up the (Elective) succession or create any dangerous factions. When he finally croaks his heir can hand out the duchy titles to Content people and start out well established.

Shame the heir's already 47 and will probably only reign for a few years. I could probably skip him and make his son my successor, but eh, RP reasons. Guy's waited for decades for his old man to finally shuffle off, just seems cruel to go "nope sorry, you're too old now so you'll never be emperor".

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In my current Mercia game father's have outlived their sons enough that grandson succession is a firm tradition.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Torrannor posted:

^^ Tribal vikings are a bit tricky, though it's easy mode once you reformed and became feudal.

Byzantine Empire? Umayyad Sultanate? Charlemagne himself?

If you want to play a horde, Khazaria or Bulgaria are easy starts.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions but I disregarded them all. I really wanted to get back in a feudal christian situation and avoid messing with tribes/hordes, but not as a big world power, so I chose 1066 Tuscany; protection from the outside world via HRE, and internally it seems much more powerful than any neighbour.

I seem to remember Matilda used to have a husband and 2 sons in 1066, but now she's the only living member of her dynasty :stare: so I grabbed a Croatian genius duke with superstats as my husband, selected the family focus and I'm about to start churning out babies. The next 16 years are going to be tense :v:

My demesne is at 7/5 though and of course I have no family members to assign the extra land to, will this bite me in the rear end? Should I just get over it and assign the extra land to some random content courtier?

Also what's a good way to start my inevitable expansion to ultimately form the Kingdom of Italy? Currently I have assigned my genius 19 diplomacy husband as chancellor and he's fabricating a claim on Bologna, it seems a very juicy and undefended county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Deus Vult!

• Locked thread