Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

NowonSA posted:

Kylo being the guy to finally get an arm ripped off by Chewie would be great, even better if he just comes back with a robotic arm. I hadn't really thought of it before, but Chewie's arc will be interesting in episodes 8 and 9. I expect he'll just cruise around with Rey, but you would think that he'd be out to avenge Han, even if the guy who killed him was Han's son.' I'd have to imagine he's the next most likely major character to die, though I could see R2D2 being a casualty as well. I don't think we'll make it two more movies without someone else we care about dying.

It wouldn't make sense for the character, but it would have been hilarious if as soon as Han died he just dropped everything, went back to the Falcon, and flew straight back to his home since the life debt was up and he takes that poo poo literally.

Lol just realized maybe C3P0 didn't follow his own advice and didn't let a wookie win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
When they had Han shrugging off the fact that his illegal cargo ate his employees, it made him seem more bad-boss than lovable scoundrel.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
X-Wings are multi-role fighter-bombers, A-wings are interceptors, and B-wings are the heavier bombers. I guess the resistance opted to just focus on the more versatile craft after the official peace? And either Poe's was specifically altered with an anti-infantry turret, or they got some upgrades along the way.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Lol just realized maybe C3P0 didn't follow his own advice and didn't let a wookie win.

No joke, they released a whole loving comic to explain that

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-special-c-3po-1

you just know these bastards are hard at work drafting riveting tales about the fatass from the new cantina

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 21, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ravenfood posted:

X-Wings are multi-role fighter-bombers, A-wings are interceptors, and B-wings are the heavier bombers. I guess the resistance opted to just focus on the more versatile craft after the official peace? And either Poe's was specifically altered with an anti-infantry turret, or they got some upgrades along the way.

The Resistance is post Cold War western militaries trying to cut costs in a Galaxy that doesn't need large standing armies but strike craft to support commando operations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dmboogie posted:

I can't really see Kylo ending up in any position to keep his arms connected to his body, redeemed or not, in a universe where Chewie's still alive.

Even if they run him through a redemption arc, this guy is definitely losing at least one limb by the time the credits roll on Episode IX.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

well why not posted:

Even if they run him through a redemption arc, this guy is definitely losing at least one limb by the time the credits roll on Episode IX.

Have we even confirmed that he's 100% intact after getting chopped up in this movie?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

X-wings are basically above average all-rounders, the rest of the ships are specialized. Attacking a place where you're probably going to need everything, or in general you don't have super specific mission plans, makes sense to take those. Also from a support standpoint, it is easier to support 1 type of craft mainly, than a spread.

In terms of ships most people easily remember, it is x-wing all the way. The average person watching probably knows x-wings, tie fighters, and that there are some other ships.

I played a ton of x-wing and tie fighter, those were great games.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
X-Wings and TIE fighters are the iconic Star Wars pew pew space planes. That's why.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bip Roberts posted:

Have we even confirmed that he's 100% intact after getting chopped up in this movie?
There were actually several fakeouts where I thought Rey had cut off his arm or his foot, but that was just loving up his ninja outfit. Kylo may have lost his lightsaber (which would be an interesting quest in its own right, though it would seem logical that he COULD get hold of another, of some kind) but he seemed to have all his major members intact.

The dude's honestly a bad rear end motherfucker, even if he didn't kill Finn or Rey, because he's this skinny version of Paul Atreides and he took a beating of legendary proportions. I expect if he makes a face turn, he'll die historic in a similar "relentless maniac" way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

How nice looking were the shots where their eyes were lit up by the saber glow? I was really impressed at those. Probably one of the more memorable shots in a pretty nicely shot movie.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
kylo ren is hero worshipping his grandfather so hard i wonder if he going to consciously decide to become a machine

instead of the medics patching him up he just tells em to start cutting poo poo off and replacing it with cybernetics or whatever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is just another of those "because the movie needed it", but unless I'm mistaken TIE Fighters aren't two-man craft either, and their laser cannons aren't turreted (or was Finn just firing the cannons straight ahead anyway?)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

pixelbaron posted:

kylo ren is hero worshipping his grandfather so hard i wonder if he going to consciously decide to become a machine

instead of the medics patching him up he just tells em to start cutting poo poo off and replacing it with cybernetics or whatever

This would be grim as gently caress, self torture/flagellation opening please.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is just another of those "because the movie needed it", but unless I'm mistaken TIE Fighters aren't two-man craft either, and their laser cannons aren't turreted (or was Finn just firing the cannons straight ahead anyway?)

They are different Ties.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, from what I remember plain old TIE Fighters don't even have life support (hence the distinctive outfit), much less room for two.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The more I think about it the more I am disappointed with the backstory and the whole political situation with the Republic\First-Order, I fully understand why they went the direction they did and in fact I think it's a good direction, I think resetting the franchise to a rebellion vs. empire point ala ANH was smart and good but I think that not going the extra mile to make the backstory more plausible and have the rebels be less of an underdog was a touch lazy.

Like, I can accept that after the end of ROTJ the Empire was not fully eradicated, Palpatine was obsessed with getting the last Jedi to his side and was willing to put himself into a great risk to achieve it but his death doesn't necessarily spell the immediate collapse of a galaxy spanning empire, so OK we got the empire on the backfoot and rebellion winning poo poo, I'd be ok with the galaxy remaining divided by this point, or the empire not being an empire anymore but still being a major ominous force that rears its head after 20-30 years or so under the tutelage of a new Sith Lord, this is all fine and good and doesn't necessitate that many changes in the script to work, all you need to do is basically have the rebel fleet be much larger and throw in a coordinated attack against the Starkiller in more than one location, it would also work to subvert that "Death star with a vulnerability" trope, make destroying it a military campaign have the republic be useful (even though its seat of power still mostly gets destroyed).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just found out that they generally were using a slightly more tricked out version of the lightsaber toys you can buy anywhere while shooting the movie, that kicks a fair amount of rear end. I wonder if the extra fanciness they added helped give them more weight, since they certainly seemed heavier this time than they were in the past.

I wonder if we'll look back on the saber effects in 7, 8 and 9 and think they were kind of lovely by the time episodes 12+ come out, since we know Disney will never stop making Star Wars movies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This movie is going to make a bajillion dollars, they won't ever stop making Star Wars movies now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Good.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After seeing the movie twice this weekend and adequately digesting, here are a few observations...

- I hope we haven't seen the last of Phasma, because she was a bit of a wasted character, but I have a feeling she'll be fine and make Finn's life hell at some point(s).

- I loved that as famously rude and impolite as R2D2 is, that BB8 was characterized as a very polite, optimistic and friendly little droid. I don't know why, but I just really liked this.

- It was amazing to finally see a well paced SW movie again. With a 2+ hour run time, it felt like it took barely over an hour.

- I would have to think that the Empire/First Order have surely decided "okay, that's enough Death Star attempts now"

- When Rey touches the lightsaber for the very first time - am I the only one who caught the "Rey, is that you?" line spoken to her? It really stuck out to me, because it sounded so eerily familiar, because it sounded exactly like Alec Guiness. I know he passed away years ago, but it's not implausible they could have gotten an impersonator or somehow simulated the voice. I guess we'll find out later, but that was my first thought on the first viewing, then I heard it again.

- I glanced at this thread and noticed some remarks about Finn and Rey being able to handle the lightsaber relatively easily, but then after seeing it again and thinking about it, Finn was trained from birth to kill stuff so he should be proficient with most weapons, theoretically, even if he was a sanitation worker. Rey, meanwhile, grew up in a very hard life constantly defending herself against other scrappers.

- Also, as for Rey's ever-increasing abilities, the entire time I was wondering if there may have been a figure strong in the Force (Luke?), or maybe even a Force ghost (as with Obi Wan to Luke), kind of guiding her along the way. Considering she thought it was all a myth early in the story, it would make sense if she "felt" someone or something guiding her actions.

Overall, I absolutely loved the movie. It may have been a virtual remake of A New Hope, but it was a lot of fun, awesome and properly felt like a Star Wars movie again. Odds are I'll be back to see it another time or two before it exits theaters.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Doronin posted:

Finn was trained from birth to kill stuff so he should be proficient with most weapons, theoretically, even if he was a sanitation worker.

I don't mean to pick on you, it's just that I keep seeing this all over this thread and the rest of the internet and it kind of boggles me.

Soldiers in real life have "down time" assignments and such. Being assigned to sanitation doesn't mean he wasn't 100% a straight-up soldier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

- When Rey touches the lightsaber for the very first time - am I the only one who caught the "Rey, is that you?" line spoken to her? It really stuck out to me, because it sounded so eerily familiar, because it sounded exactly like Alec Guiness. I know he passed away years ago, but it's not implausible they could have gotten an impersonator or somehow simulated the voice. I guess we'll find out later, but that was my first thought on the first viewing, then I heard it again.

There was an article posted a ways back about how they were able to recreate Alec Guiness saying "Rey ..." by splicing/editing together some of his lines from ANH.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't mean to pick on you, it's just that I keep seeing this all over this thread and the rest of the internet and it kind of boggles me.

Soldiers in real life have "down time" assignments and such. Being assigned to sanitation doesn't mean he wasn't 100% a straight-up soldier.

No offense taken. But that's why I mentioned it. I saw it probably 3-4 times on a single page earlier and it got me thinking more about it. The scariest people I ever met from the military, in terms of knowing way too much about weapons, were the ones that incidentally had a lot of downtime away from the front line. So yeah, Finn being a boss with weapons makes sense because he probably had even more time to practice than most others.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was an article posted a ways back about how they were able to recreate Alec Guiness saying "Rey ..." by splicing/editing together some of his lines from ANH.

Wasn't aware of that article, but that's awesome. I really, really wonder how that might play into things down the road. Obi Wan did say if Vader were to strike him down he'd be more powerful than ever. I'm wondering if they're not tinkering with that whole concept now.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Huh? They said that Macgregor came in to do that.

Re: First order/Republic - I think that's definately my biggest problem with the film, that it doesn't go into just what the deal is with the factions involved. I can kind of headcanon a reason the republic isn't directly involved but I probably shouldn't have to. It's absolutely a great film regardless though.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 21, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have we gotten an Smg review yet.

I predict he will think it is not as well made as the first 6 and had troubling ideological messages.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ShineDog posted:

Re: First order/Republic - I think that's definately my biggest problem with the film, that it doesn't go into just what the deal is with the factions involved. I can kind of headcanon a reason the republic isn't directly involved but I probably shouldn't have to. It's absolutely a great film regardless though.

They got Ewan to record a line AND spliced Guinness in. Also had Frank Oz to do some stuff for the Forceback as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ShineDog posted:

It's both. MacGregor voiced new lines on top of the editing done for Alec Guiness' lines.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Maybe the whole prophecy of anakin bringing balance to the force is coming true. He had 2 kids, both light, then a grandson on the dark side. That's 2 and 2 Rey throws the numbers off now, but I figure at some point it's going to be Anakin's life choices that lead to the balanced force conclusion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Watching this clip and the one where Dooku interrogates Kenobi shows there was an opening to really make Dooku a tragic character but the direction and acting is so bungled it's impossible. This dude is actually honest when he says the Republic is irretrievably corrupt, the Jedi Order can't see what's going on, and he needs help in taking down Palpatine (who he's evidently ambivalent about even if he's being trained by him). Christopher Lee is kinda sadly flat in both of his appearances, and gets disposed of pretty quickly (though memorably) in ROTS.

I don't think it's a function of Christopher Lee's flat affect or "bad direction" ( Obi-Wan is confused and is literally being spun in circles on the screen while the camera counter rotates - the audience is also being spun in circles) I think it's simply a function of a lack of time. We don't spend enough time with Dooku's character to have any sort of accurate appraisal his complex motivations or how to read his subsequent behavior.

I really think it's about ambition, a complex plot, and not enough running time or writing skill (something Lucas admits as a weakness) to explain it to the audience.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The more I think about it the more I am disappointed with the backstory and the whole political situation with the Republic\First-Order, I fully understand why they went the direction they did and in fact I think it's a good direction, I think resetting the franchise to a rebellion vs. empire point ala ANH was smart and good but I think that not going the extra mile to make the backstory more plausible and have the rebels be less of an underdog was a touch lazy.

Like, I can accept that after the end of ROTJ the Empire was not fully eradicated, Palpatine was obsessed with getting the last Jedi to his side and was willing to put himself into a great risk to achieve it but his death doesn't necessarily spell the immediate collapse of a galaxy spanning empire, so OK we got the empire on the backfoot and rebellion winning poo poo, I'd be ok with the galaxy remaining divided by this point, or the empire not being an empire anymore but still being a major ominous force that rears its head after 20-30 years or so under the tutelage of a new Sith Lord, this is all fine and good and doesn't necessitate that many changes in the script to work, all you need to do is basically have the rebel fleet be much larger and throw in a coordinated attack against the Starkiller in more than one location, it would also work to subvert that "Death star with a vulnerability" trope, make destroying it a military campaign have the republic be useful (even though its seat of power still mostly gets destroyed).
Everything I've read about the First Order makes it sound like they very much aren't a new Empire in terms of power. JJ Abrams said they were inspired by a "What if?" scenario where all the nazis who fled the collapse of the Third Reich started working together again in Argentina. Especially from the opening scroll, it sounded like the Republic and Empire 2.0 are officially at a standoff and unofficially skirmishing via the Resistance and the First Order. It makes me think the next movie will have a very different tone, because if losing the first Death Star was a setback to the Empire then I imagine losing Starkiller Base was catastrophic loss for Empire 2.0. I wonder if the First Order will become more like an insurgency or terrorist group in Episode VIII.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Runefaust posted:

I could definitely see them trying, but it's hard to come back from being seen as a royal fucktard after you murder YOUR OWN loving FATHER who also happens to be one of the most loved characters in the StarWars Universe.

Which is why it would be all the more dramatic

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Doronin posted:

Ewan McGregor loves Alec Guiness and can impersonate him. It's one reason he was so gung ho about the role.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anakin bringing balance to the Force + Rey being tempted by the Dark Side + Kylo* being tempted by the Light Side + Luke's tutelage will culminate in Episode 9 ending with the creation of a new Jedi Order that loses the Light / Dark dichotomy entirely and will crib from the good and useful parts of both. Maybe it won't even be called Jedi anymore.

* This may well be a losing battle, but I think we should call him Kylo instead of Ren because it violates the principle of having different starting letters across all the main characters for easy identification.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I enjoyed this a lot. Yeah the New Hope parallels were obvious but that didn't make Solo's death any less dramatic. Also, the 3D in this was incredibly well done. Very detailed, my eyes didn't hurt at all and there were only 1 or 2 'in your face' effects.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Which is why it would be all the more dramatic

Well, there's really no coming back for Kylo, like he doesn't get to turn good and then join them for adventures in SW10 or whatever. At this point, the only chance he gets for redemption is that he has to die, likely kill himself, to save Rey.

I'd also accept Luke or Rey just straight up murdering him, and then looking at Leia and saying "You have a problem with how I handled that? Didn't think so."

My mini-review:

Everything new I liked, everything recycled I didn't.

I count bad-rear end Chewie as something new, and I really liked it, since in the OT he doesn't get much characterization, but he's almost my favorite part of this one. I did also like how self aware Han was, like he knew he was in a rebooted sequel, and hammed it up.

Anyone have a screen cap of Luke looking at what reddit believes to be a grave?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

It's blurry because of the source, but it is most definitely some sort of grave marker.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Also because his name is ludicrously stupid, even by Star Wars, its hard to take him seriously.

I rewatched the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars recently and there's at least two parts where they find out Count Dooku was responsible for something bad they were dealing with, and Yoda angrily squints his eyes and mutters "DOOOKU......" like he's uttering the world's most sinister name.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Doronin posted:

- Also, as for Rey's ever-increasing abilities, the entire time I was wondering if there may have been a figure strong in the Force (Luke?), or maybe even a Force ghost (as with Obi Wan to Luke), kind of guiding her along the way. Considering she thought it was all a myth early in the story, it would make sense if she "felt" someone or something guiding her actions.

I only just now realized that the metal hand guy in Rey's vision was Luke. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's blurry because of the source, but it is most definitely some sort of grave marker.

Cool.

So I agree with the pacing problems, I just watched ANH right before TFA. ANH iss a longish movie, I don't think that it stalls too much, the plot moves at a good speed. TFA, though, felt like they had a checklist of items they wanted to get through and the characters have to rush through them. It feels like a lot of the shovel-ware blockbusters in this era of cinema. I get movies are business and gots to make money, but at no point did it feel like someone was trying to tell me a story that they had passion for.

Example, watching Looper, Inception, Inside Out, clearly those movies had studio influence, but at their core, I felt like I was being told a story that the person writing it really was interested and passionate about telling. It's not necessarily because they are original IP's, even a sequel/reboot can have this behind it (ESB or Judge Dredd).

However ST09, TFA, and most of the Marvel movies clearly do not have this anywhere in their production. It's obvious with TFA that it's a product first, designed to hit some specific checklist generated by the hollywood marketing super computer algorithm to produce the safest bankable output. It's entertaining, but not engaging.

TFA clearly stands in the shadow of ANH, but doesn't really try to do anything interesting (besides kill Han, which was probably on top of their list, since there's no way he can be in an action trilogy for the next ten years, so the beep bloop algorithm said he had to go, also it's probably a stipulation at the top of his contract).

I get that this was 100% an attempt to get Star Wars out of the shadow of the prequels by jumping squarely into the shadow of the OT, and that's fine. The second one is directed by someone else, so hopefully the studio gives them some more room and we get something as brilliant as ESB.

• Locked thread