Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress are you arguing about the guy kills baddies in one punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Playing the intro music over the fight made it far more epic a sequence as well as not eating up precious seconds away from the fight by playing the full intro. If you think otherwise you are objectively wrong.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Crazyeyes posted:

Playing the intro music over the fight made it far more epic a sequence as well as not eating up precious seconds away from the fight by playing the full intro. If you think otherwise you are objectively wrong.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If there's any weaknesses in the anime outside of a few scenes that didn't transition their full potential from ONE/Murata's versions it's basically the lack of time they've had to characterize what eventually becomes the One Punch Crew.

King in particular. King's travails, Fubuki's, and the next major arc after this in general are pure gold- a second season that ended after the next major arc would make stuff in the first season seem even better on a rewatch.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This episode had my jaw to the floor all the way through the fight, the animators deserve a goddamn medal holy cow that was amazing. What a fight.

I really love it when you can just SEE the animators passion and love on the screen, the color choices used for the fight were mindbolowing, awesome awesome awwwsome.

Also I'm really glad that sweet mask is getting bigger "I'm a total douchebag" treatment, I wonder if he really will be a major villain at some point.

Man, I really admire OPM, ONE, Murata, The Aniamtors, they did a really amazing job with it overall. For a second there I thought studio Trigger were the only ones left who could deliver hype, but I'm glad to see I'm wrong.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 21, 2015

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this episode was amazing and if those tiny nitpicks really stopped you from enjoying it that much then id hate to be you :krakken:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Three punch man. RIP Boros you were pretty strong

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
While I agree with the people nitpicking on the first Serious Punch Saitama has thrown being kind of undersold, I feel like that fits pretty well with the theme and Saitama as a character in general. The sound design around it could maybe have been a bit better (maybe by making it entirely silent and then a rushing base as if a nuclear detonation took place) but you kinda gotta remember that Saitama himself is kind of an underselling guy. He didn't launch a flashy kamehameha that took all of his strength to fire. He throw a single punch, the same you and I'd throw in a dangerous situation or during training, and it was nothing special, the force behind the punch was the single factor behind it.

I dunno, I liked it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TWIST FIST posted:

this episode was amazing and if those tiny nitpicks really stopped you from enjoying it that much then id hate to be you :krakken:

I think everybody who read the manga is gonna have nitpicks, I noticed flaws all over too. But everything was just so awesome that they didn't matter at all, to me at least.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
there is almost no point comparing the anime to the Murata redraw, because it is as if God himself inhabits Murata's body, so humans can only pay tribute to his works.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, I think there's a limit to how nit picky you can be. The studio absolutely did their best to make this final episode bombastic and I think they succeeded on most if not all levels. This was a solid anime adaption from start to finish and I don't know how much more I would ask except for a second season.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I think the best little thing from the episode was Tatsumaki's reaction/expression when Saitama landed back on the ship from the moon jump. Everyone was like "YEAH IT'S WORKING! YOU'RE DOING IT!" and she knew that whatever just happened was 100% not related to what she was doing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My only nitpick is that I wish the doom-ish track stwrted playing immediately after "are you done with this?" so its more clearly the dread of the villain still not taking the protagonist seriously, otherwise it was fantastic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Looking forward to the second season in another year or two. Or maybe longer. poo poo, Murata's never gonna finish the current arc.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The one thing I wish they'd kept from the manga was the bit with Boros dashing at Saitama so fast the ground was exploding beneath his steps (right after Saitama gets back from the moon), hitting Saitama with a massive flurry of blows, and then Saitama knocks him back with a punch, and this all happens so fast that Boros flies backwards past the ongoing explosions caused by his initial forward spurt. That was cool as hell in Murata's version. They kept the rush and the punch but not that little detail that made it all so much cooler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

While I agree with the people nitpicking on the first Serious Punch Saitama has thrown being kind of undersold, I feel like that fits pretty well with the theme and Saitama as a character in general. The sound design around it could maybe have been a bit better (maybe by making it entirely silent and then a rushing base as if a nuclear detonation took place) but you kinda gotta remember that Saitama himself is kind of an underselling guy. He didn't launch a flashy kamehameha that took all of his strength to fire. He throw a single punch, the same you and I'd throw in a dangerous situation or during training, and it was nothing special, the force behind the punch was the single factor behind it.

I dunno, I liked it.

The point of the Serious Strike is that he's finally not underselling though so there's no need to hold back on it.

Little nitpicks are "oh, Saitama was smiling here instead of neutral as shown on page 64 of vol.3, that's weird and bad". Those mean nothing by any means.

Questionable pacing and sound design are legitimate complaints that have a notable impact on the final product. They stuck out in this episode because they've not been hugely present or even notably so beforehand. I'm not trying to convince anyone they're wrong and that they should fall in line with my opinion on the episode, nor does it hurt to have someone say "this has flaws" amongst the acclaim or like Elentor says, you can notice them and not give a poo poo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah the serious punch is such a hype moment in the manga (it's the first time we ever see saitama get any kind of serious) so it's kinda lame when it falls flat.

One thing I didn't get when I read the manga is Saitama's serious punch was so strong it reflected boro's beam and that is what killed him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Yeah the serious punch is such a hype moment in the manga (it's the first time we ever see saitama get any kind of serious) so it's kinda lame when it falls flat.

One thing I didn't get when I read the manga is Saitama's serious punch was so strong it reflected boro's beam and that is what killed him.

Probably because that didn't happen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrManiac posted:

No, it was so strong it split the beam in two (that's the smaller split in the clouds when you see Earth from space) and killed the poo poo out of Boros, and presumably countless birds as well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Wait, in what way was the serious punch undersold? I thought it was done pretty well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I miss the part where Boros tore off one of the pillars and threw it at Saitama so hard he bore through like 70% of his ship in the process.

DrManiac posted:

Is that what happened? I thought it was just the shockwave of his punch.

SpacePig posted:

Wait, in what way was the serious punch undersold? I thought it was done pretty well.

People feel like they did it too fast and it could've had a bit more build up.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

No, it was so strong it split the beam in two (that's the smaller split in the clouds when you see Earth from space) and killed the poo poo out of Boros, and presumably countless birds as well.

Rip birds

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Maybe it was too fast
But you people realize that "Serious Punch" was not a serious punch for Saitama either

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Not sure if this has been posted but they did a music video for the full One Punch OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImBolnTVH8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

RareAcumen posted:

People feel like they did it too fast and it could've had a bit more build up.

It was just a punch, though. He's not focusing his chi or something. He's just putting effort into a punch. He's not even putting all of his effort into it. I think it's prefect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The full vid is also subbed, though since I can't link directly to it, I'll just link the page instead: http://www.lyrical-nonsense.com/lyrics/jam-project/the-hero-ikareru-kobushi-ni-hi-wo-tsukero/#page=English

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It was just a punch, though. He's not focusing his chi or something. He's just putting effort into a punch. He's not even putting all of his effort into it. I think it's prefect.

It was different in the manga.

With no time limit to how long you could take to reading everything we all thought it was this big dramatic thing than what it turned out to be in the anime.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

RareAcumen posted:

With no time limit to how long you could take to reading everything we all thought it was this big dramatic thing than what it turned out to be in the anime.

I read the manga, and even looked this section and the clip from the show after I read that people had a problem. Unless I'm stupid, it's shot-for-shot identical. And it takes about the time it would take to throw an exaggerated punch.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The point of the Serious Strike is that he's finally not underselling though so there's no need to hold back on it.

No, he's still underselling it. He's putting effort in, but it's a begrudging effort. It's 'ugh I actually have to deal with you so fine, here you go whatever' not a manly explosion of punching rage and energy. It reads as triumphant in the manga because you expect it to be and the text is big, which is usually a marker of shouting. It turns out that the serious punch is actually sort of sad because he was still holding back. Maybe that's a change and maybe you like the manga version better, but this one is equally as valid and actually fits better thematically, imo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Every time I look at past chapters, I'm always struck by "godDAMN that is drawn well"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Little nitpicks are "oh, Saitama was smiling here instead of neutral as shown on page 64 of vol.3, that's weird and bad". Those mean nothing by any means.

Questionable pacing and sound design are legitimate complaints that have a notable impact on the final product. They stuck out in this episode because they've not been hugely present or even notably so beforehand. I'm not trying to convince anyone they're wrong and that they should fall in line with my opinion on the episode, nor does it hurt to have someone say "this has flaws" amongst the acclaim or like Elentor says, you can notice them and not give a poo poo.
You are entitled to your complaints and even talking about them at length, trying to hash them out or explain where you're coming from, but posts like this

Look it on the other side of the coin, perhaps you're forgiving of genuine flaws and areas which could have been improved upon because you don't want to think "this could be better?" It's okay to think that things you like can and could be better than they already are.
Read like you're talking down to your conversation partner. It comes off like you saying "It's okay if you don't think about things" in a condescending manner, like you're some higher order of being and people who disagree with you just don't share your capacity for abstract, critical thought. You may not have intended to sound like this, but that's what people hear.

You're disappointed in the final episode. Cool. I was disappointed a bit by the Sea King finale. You can talk about it as much as you want, but don't do it like this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

No, he's still underselling it. He's putting effort in, but it's a begrudging effort. It's 'ugh I actually have to deal with you so fine, here you go whatever' not a manly explosion of punching rage and energy. It reads as triumphant in the manga because you expect it to be and the text is big, which is usually a marker of shouting. It turns out that the serious punch is actually sort of sad because he was still holding back. Maybe that's a change and maybe you like the manga version better, but this one is equally as valid and actually fits better thematically, imo.

SpacePig posted:

I read the manga, and even looked this section and the clip from the show after I read that people had a problem. Unless I'm stupid, it's shot-for-shot identical. And it takes about the time it would take to throw an exaggerated punch.

Yeah, basically, I think it's just that people read a different tone from it since it was all text.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The amount of panels Murata decided to draw to convey the punch is largely what gives that shot its weight.

It's 9 full panels from winding up to Boros being hit. Every other punch is a usually a single page or panel. Even on a speed read, that takes a while to get through and the reason that was drawn that to increase your tension, anticipation and make you wonder what the gently caress's going to happen if Saitama actually tries to punch someone *hard*.

The speed of the anime's Serious Punch doesn't convey that very well and by the time he's finished saying Serious Punch, it's sort of already happened. The anime hits all of the panels, sure, but it would have helped by slowing the punch down, doubling the time in the wind up perhaps. It's not about showing what time it might have taken in real life. It's hard for the anime to emulate the time taken for a reader to read pages, but I don't think they got it right this time, where as they nailed mostly everything else.

Bad Seafood posted:

[this post]

That really wasn't the intention so apologies for that, but noted.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 21, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This was an excellent cartoon

perhass the best ive seen

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Was the punch nine pages in the printed version?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Print volume isn't there yet; in English anyway. Not sure about Viz's digital version.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's hard for the anime to emulate the time taken for a reader to read pages, but I don't think they got it right this time, where as they nailed mostly everything else.

You're still assuming the anime did it 'wrong,' not 'differently.' Do you not agree that it works better thematically? I'm giving the animators the benefit of the doubt here because this is essentially the climax to the whole first season and I'm sure they worked on it and discussed every frame of the punch for days, likely with the input of both One and Murata at every step. If it comes off as a bit of a wet fart compared to what you were expecting, is it possible that was the whole point?

E: Saitama's disappointed by the serious punch. Shouldn't we be too? It was a punchline, not a punch.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I feel like the beam dying, the smoke clearing, the enormous shockwave, the ship exploding, and the clouds parting around the globe lent a pretty good heft to the punch. The punch itself doesn't need to be so drawn out when the effects can be seen so clearly. What would've been an acceptable amount of time for the punch?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

'Do I not agree that it works better thematically?'

No but that's why I think they got it wrong.
Even if they chose to do it differently, to me, that was the wrong choice to make, I don't think those two terms are mutually exclusive of each other either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah one of the things that the anime sort of emphasized with the entire fight that I couldn't quite get in the manga was how loving depressed Saitama is with the fight. The strongest guy he's ever fought so far and its still not even a fraction of his own power. Everything from him running backwards to each of the punches he threw had absolutely no heart or interest in them and sort of shows where the series might end up in. With Saitama realizing that he got into fighting monsters because of that rush he had at the start but that now there is no fun in it and he'd rather just spend time with Genos and co.

Seriously Saitama looked he was having a whole lot more fun with Geno's sparing session than he did with either Seaking or Boros and I'm assuming thats the point.

• Locked thread