Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Guy offered me a S&W M&P 9mm with 3 holsters in exchange for the Mazda B2000. If I can't get it to stop smoking, I might actually take the trade :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Phone posted:

What was the last car related thing you've done that was "AI as gently caress"? I'm genuinely curious.

driving other people's astons from the service department to the forecourt is just like lapping the ring, tbh

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

zundfolge posted:

driving other people's astons from the service department to the forecourt is just like lapping the ring, tbh

Oh drat. :drat:

I've defended corn's right to post, but I miss a5h, who provided a higher quality of post. Take that as you may.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Phone posted:

What was the last car related thing you've done that was "AI as gently caress"? I'm genuinely curious.

Idk but I fix aston martins for a living or is it more ai to fix mazdas cuz I've done that too. What was your most recent ai as gently caress moment?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

corn in the fridge posted:

Idk but I fix aston martins for a living or is it more ai to fix mazdas cuz I've done that too. What was your most recent ai as gently caress moment?

Podiumed at a 7 hour endurance race where I drove for 3.5 hours of it.

I realize racing isn't as AI as fixing cars, but on the Saturday race, we had a groundhog take out the radiator.

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

Oh drat. :drat:

I've defended corn's right to post, but I miss a5h, who provided a higher quality of post. Take that as you may.

I miss Bape. :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Its like half of you skim over my posts just so you can constantly be loving assholes. If I failed my piss test after 3 weeks of not smoking then by the time another one comes around in a few weeks or whatever I'll be good. I even took all my poo poo outta my living room so I can just hang out in my bedroom and outta the way of 2nd hand weed smoke.

So I'm an rear end in a top hat for telling it like it is? If I sugar coat it and give you praise would that make you less butthurt? Jesus Christ.

Odds are if you have any body fat at the amount you smoke weed it's not leaving your system any time soon. You need to get a home test kit to make sure you're clean before you fail another drug test and look like an even bigger idiot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

88h88 posted:

I miss Bape. :(

I think I've seen him posting on other forums. Who ran him out of here?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

1500quidporsche posted:

I think I've seen him posting on other forums. Who ran him out of here?

Last I saw he ate a ban and didn't come back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guy offered me a S&W M&P 9mm with 3 holsters in exchange for the Mazda B2000. If I can't get it to stop smoking, I might actually take the trade :v:

I'm not even a gun person and I'd probably do that trade. That B2000 will smoke until it gets a new engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
he and his circle of butt buddies shitposted up a storm till they all got probated/banned and I made an annoyed rantpost about it

Also I'm pretty sure Geirskogul and his ridiculous bus recovery trip eclipses Fart Pipe and I dragging my Justy home, I mean... at least we had a fast reliable car to do the drive in. :v: So I'm going to go ahead and declare his shenanigans more AI than mine.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

El Jebus posted:

Rented a car to drive up to Oregon for Christmas. ODOT has chains required signs up for the pass on I5, and I am not sure what I should do. Spend the extra hours on Tuesday driving up the coast from Sacramento? Buy chains somewhere and return them when I come back down because I probably won't use them? Thought about Les Schwab and their returns but apparently you can only return them in April according to many angry reviews online and the closest to me is in Bakersfield, a town I will be avoiding. Walmart? Costco? I'm driving up I5 from Sac but 99 up to Sacramento. Unless I take the coast from Sacramento...

So, any suggestions for a place I can buy chains and return them if need be 11 days later?

Drive up the coast. Much more interesting and scenic drive and does not add that much more time to the trip. Especially if you have never driven up the California/Oregon/Washington coasts before. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country along that stretch.

I did the same thing to avoid the snow when I bought my old mr2 in San Jose and drove it home to Seattle. Took 2 days to get to Seattle, and that included not leaving SF till ~1 in the afternoon and then stopping to visit some friends in Portland, and still made it home before 8pm.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Phone posted:

Podiumed at a 7 hour endurance race where I drove for 3.5 hours of it.

I realize racing isn't as AI as fixing cars, but on the Saturday race, we had a groundhog take out the radiator.

cool so i guess we're both allowed to post cuz were confirmed "AI as gently caress" or what happens now?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Geirskogul and his ridiculous bus recovery trip eclipses Fart Pipe and I dragging my Justy home, I mean... at least we had a fast reliable car to do the drive in. :v: So I'm going to go ahead and declare his shenanigans more AI than mine.

cool so i guess we're both allowed to post cuz were confirmed "AI as gently caress" or what happens now?

Let's not get into a circle jerk of who did the most AI thing. It's an impossible metric to quantify.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's not allowed, everyone has to be pissy and passive aggressive towards each other.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The answer is a fight to the death, obviously.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Well, we've identified 2 out of the 3 "actual car people" on the forum. So now it's up to you to find the last one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

Well, we've identified 2 out of the 3 "actual car people" on the forum. So now it's up to you to find the last one.

Hi. :wink:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Idk but I fix aston martins for a living...

In all seriousness, what sorta poo poo goes wrong with Astons?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

88h88 posted:

In all seriousness, what sorta poo poo goes wrong with Astons?

They're British cars, so probably everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

88h88 posted:

I thought they had to have sex in CSB's bangbus?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That is correct.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bespoke interior failures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I thought they had to have sex in CSB's bangbus?

That comes after the fight to the death.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Phone posted:

Bespoke interior failures.

Martin's maketh mechanic?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's 38 years old. Compare it to it's contemporaries and it's standing up incredibly well, let alone things like music and cinamatograpy are still examples of how to do it properly.
I've always said that if you watch Star Wars as an adult, without either having the "holy poo poo this is the best thing ever" memories from being a kid with it, or remembering/knowing what a sea change it represented in terms of what'd be put in front of you when you sat down in a cinema (especially for sci fi)... Yeah, it's a bit rubbish.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So can someone link me to Automotive Passing Interest because I'm obviously not qualified to continue posting here? :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

InitialDave posted:

I've always said that if you watch Star Wars as an adult, without either having the "holy poo poo this is the best thing ever" memories from being a kid with it, or remembering/knowing what a sea change it represented in terms of what'd be put in front of you when you sat down in a cinema (especially for sci fi)... Yeah, it's a bit rubbish.

That's me I don't think I saw them until I was 12 or so. I still have difficulty with its popularity, the second one was a legit cool movie, the first had some obvious teething issues but was alright in the context of the time. I do feel left out because I can't understand why it is such a huge cultural icon.

I never get the argument about special effects, you look at 2001 which was made about 10? years earlier and the Star Wars effects don't seem that amazing to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cakefool posted:

So can someone link me to Automotive Passing Interest because I'm obviously not qualified to continue posting here? :(

Just hit yourself in the balls with a ratchet and you're good.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

1500quidporsche posted:

This!!!!!!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Re: Ricco getting asked about SANs, I wouldn't be surprised if the HR person was asking the question to see if he could also qualify for another job. In my experience HR reps often have no technical knowledge (even if their role is specifically filling technical jobs) and are reimbursed or evaluated based on getting butts in seats. It wouldn't surprise me if the HR person is trying to throw him at another opening.

Re: Star Wars, I think Rhyno is being too jaded and critical (still love ya bud). Think about any movies that hold up to our modern tastes that are from before 1985... Meaning they suck you in and you get lost in the story. Now whittle that list down to only sci-fi or fantasy movies. Now think about that list as a percentage of all movies ever made. It's pretty small. Yeah, Kubrick could have done better, but the originals are still pretty drat good for the time. Someone said a few pages back that this movie is for the next generation, which I agree with, but unlike 1-3 I feel like it's for the next generation while honoring that which came before it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not even a gun person and I'd probably do that trade. That B2000 will smoke until it gets a new engine.

Yeah, I'm considering it, I know a local goon whose girlfriend might want it but if she decides against it, the gun's not bad (assuming he hasn't totally hosed it up)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

It has it's problems but it's nowhere near as bad as ANH. Nearly every scene in Ep4 has something cringe worthy.
The movie was fine, quit being a goddamn sperg.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey guys I got a question. I got an email back from obe of the.places I applied to. The HR lady said in the email "Your resume is amazing!" but she asked if I know anything about SAN and Mainframe storage becauae the job is at a data center. What the fucm does that mean?

It means you probably don't have the background knowledge to do what they want you to do, unless they're just looking for someone to pull cables for a SAN setup. Any cable monkey can do that, if they're paying attention.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 21, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So the data center place I had mentioned this morning just gave me a call. The HR lady actually went to school with my roommate's cousin and knows my roommate. They said that they have their own schooling program to catch me up on other IT related things like I had asked about here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Jesus we're pretty similar. I can't bear to get rid of old magazines (especially early issues of MacAddict) but I did in the end. Otherwise it's just hoarding, and I have enough categories of other stuff to hoard.
Are you me? Tell me about it. I've got so many interests and hobbies, I have all kinds of crap everywhere. I have an entire metal shelving unit of mostly-unbuilt model cars from back in high school. I haven't built a model in like 25 years or more, but I keep thinking some day I will find the time again, so I don't want to sell them. Most of them are "vintage" now, so maybe I should.

quote:

I think there's an online archive of Hot Rod now (according to the latest issues of Hot Rod) but I doubt there will ever be one for SCC.

Doctors' office seems like an interesting idea. I'd much rather read a review of a mid-90s software product that gets dinged for retaining a Windows-esque interface than the April 1992 issue of Time.

Yeah, I think Hot Rod is available, and several of the other big ones. Need ot look into that.
I actually preferred Popular Hot Rodding for a long time, because their features seemed more realistic and attainable. The high-dollar stuff is nice, but I really preferred reading about stuff that I might actually be able to do without a trust fund or a patron.

I will never get rid of my collection of CARtoons, though. Or MAD Magazine, for that matter.

The Locator posted:

Last year (or maybe the year before?) my office was collecting stuff to send to the troops stationed in the gulf area fighting terrorists. Specifically listed in the things that the troops requested were magazines (and toilet paper), so I collected all my Sportscar and Grassroots Motorsports magazines (and probably some others) and sent them off to the troopies. I'll never re-read any of them (I never have in 50 years, probably won't start this year), so why not let some troops enjoy them?

Good on you. I know if I were stuck in the rear end end of nowhere with crappy internet, I would love to read almost any car mag I hadn't seen in a while.

some texas redneck posted:

So some shithead tried to burn down the UU church I go to.

More pics.

They'd had several breakins over the past couple of weeks, so they went by to check on the place Wednesday, and walked into a building full of smoke. Good thing they decided to check on the place when they did.

Damage is pretty minor (for fire damage), but who the gently caress tries to burn down a church?

Some people will try to destroy anything that looks like authority. Or maybe they didn't like their style of worship? You know how hard line fundies can get. Tolerance is not a strong suit there. Hell, it could just be "disenfranchised youths" who just happened to be aware of the facility.

some texas redneck posted:

Well, found out that the DVR system itself was destroyed (it was in one of the worst-damaged rooms), but the hard drive was still intact and functional, so they have video.

Wound up being a runaway kid who's pretty well known to the police, and the same kid who's broken in a few times. If he was an adult he'd probably be going away for a few years, but apparently he's only 14 (and no stranger to the legal system).

And there you go.

kastein posted:

Luke gets shot about 5 minutes in

by Dumbledore

A COWorker has a image meme on his cube wall. It's a picture of Patrick Stewart, with the quote: "'Use the Force, Harry' - Gandalf". How to enrage all the nerds.

88h88 posted:

<Classic Star Trek battle music.mp3> I wager twenty Quatloos on the newcomer.

Most AI thing I've done lately is buy a cop car, and then start adding civilian luxuries to it, but I do own several rotaries and a '70 Cutlass (V8! Witness!). Does that count?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So the data center place I had mentioned this morning just gave me a call. The HR lady actually went to school with my roommate's cousin and knows my roommate. They said that they have their own schooling program to catch me up on other IT related things like I had asked about here.

Might be worth it, if you think you can stomach IT. I would rather be doing network/server/storage stuff than PC janitoring, if I had a choice.

edit: they probably just want you to be able to help out, not be the Subject Matter Expert or anything.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The job description sounded like 100% cabling, if that's your thing go for it dude.

Just don't be the guy that slices up a really important cable in the middle of the day.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My latest AI adventure was an oil change on :allears: my subaru :allears: I've been changing oil on japanese shitboxen since 1997 and this is the first time it's ever flown out of the drain hole, right to the middle of the drain pan thing, and splashed off the little plug in the middle, spraying everywhere. I also just dropped $1000 on :allears: my wife's :allears: mini. It needed about $3000 of work for hitting a curb when she got run off the road. Front subframe, front LCA, LCAB, wheel, and steering angle sensor. I'm so glad I made a claim instead of nickle and diming that poo poo.

I guess I'm in the passing interest crowd too. Though reading about kimbo's ferrari was pretty sweet.

zundfolge posted:

:perfect:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I think Hot Rod is available, and several of the other big ones. Need ot look into that.
I actually preferred Popular Hot Rodding for a long time, because their features seemed more realistic and attainable. The high-dollar stuff is nice, but I really preferred reading about stuff that I might actually be able to do without a trust fund or a patron.

This is why my favorite Top Gear episodes were the ones where they bought really cheap cars and had fun with them. You can only watch Clarkson doing laps in a supercar so many times, but watching them nurse old cars across the English/American/European/Asian/African/Russian countryside never gets old.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah from what I gather it is 90% cabling, which is what I've been doing for the past 5 years. In fact the HR lady just called me back 5 minutes ago to do a phone interview with the VP at 4 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah from what I gather it is 90% cabling, which is what I've been doing for the past 5 years. In fact the HR lady just called me back 5 minutes ago to do a phone interview with the VP at 4 today.

This post made me genuinely happy. You've obviously made some big mistakes but your earnestness in trying to fix your situation is endearing. The difference between you and a lot of people here is that we aren't nearly as willing to openly admit our fuckups.

• Locked thread