Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Parallelwoody posted:

Not sure if it's been commented on here but I think the Xihe hazres makes your weapons run very hot.
Skinfaxi is 10 L7Y away and has a close station and Res location. Reasonable for practice runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Just check blue hair's "base of operations" system, and go hang around that vicinity. All Empire, all the time, pretty much. Remember to only do missions that have a little "empire" symbol on the bulletin board.

I spend a lot of time on the Empire/Federation border so I can either focus on either one, or just kind of alternate depending on where I landed from the last mission.

I think the starting area is mostly empire because just doing random hauling missions and I'm already getting "Promote" missions from them. Are you locked out from one or another by going heavy on one side?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think the starting area is mostly empire because just doing random hauling missions and I'm already getting "Promote" missions from them. Are you locked out from one or another by going heavy on one side?

You shouldn't be. The only thing that can cause you problems is if you get below "Neutral" with one of them because you blew up too many of their space cops or civilians. You'd have to be like... trying to do it on purpose, though, I think.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I used space shotguns before this patch and you could only shoot like 15 times. Have they given you more ammo for it?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Amethyst posted:

I used space shotguns before this patch and you could only shoot like 15 times. Have they given you more ammo for it?

Tripled. It's still not a lot, though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

HiroProtagonist posted:

Tripled. It's still not a lot, though.

Hmmm I wish there was a quick way to switch loadouts. Maybe they should let you store components?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Hmmm I wish there was a quick way to switch loadouts. Maybe they should let you store components?

Yeah, saving 2-3 loadouts for quick refitting is a feature I wish they'd add. At least save a blueprint or something instead of auto-buying components for you, in case that seems too arcade-y for Frontier, even. Integration with Coriolis is another optio-ahahaha yeah right, that'll never happen.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just got followed out of orbital cruise by an npc pirate. Blew his rear end up then set down to hunt rocks like I'd planned.

What I wasn't expecting was to see something big on the horizon randomly in my buggy. When I went to investigate, it was pretty clearly the wreckage of his ship. It was a low G moon, so I played football with his hull plating for a while, then went on my way :iia:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Went and fit out a Keelback, jumped it out to Maia and grabbed that screenshot I posted a few days ago.

My initial love for it's aesthetics has cooled off and now I am just disappointed. It definitely is babby's first Type 6.

It lost visual appeal for me on the first jaunt into candid camera mode where I got to look at it's rear end end more in detail. It really is just a modified type 6 model and that really turns off the initial love I had for it while also killing any love that was left.

A fit, with D modules where warranted for jump range it flies nice and is not as much of a land whale boat as I had thought it would be based on other's descriptions but there's nothing new or nice about flying it.

Sad face.

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role? The FDL is close but it just doesn't do it for me like some of the Caldari ships from Eve or even a few of the offerings CIG has managed to churn out. Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Strategic Tea posted:

Just got followed out of orbital cruise by an npc pirate. Blew his rear end up then set down to hunt rocks like I'd planned.

What I wasn't expecting was to see something big on the horizon randomly in my buggy. When I went to investigate, it was pretty clearly the wreckage of his ship. It was a low G moon, so I played football with his hull plating for a while, then went on my way :iia:

That rules, I didn't know they could follow you like that onto planets.
My favorite version of that encounter that I've had:

I don't smack into the sun very often these days, but the other day I turned around to see what my girlfriend was so pumped about in her game of Smash Bros and promptly got yanked out of Supercruise by the star that I was flying straight into. While I righted myself and waited for my FSD to recharge, some pirate dropped down next to me and started shooting. Like, what's your endgame here, buddy? I'm only not cooking because my ship runs really cool and I have heatsinks. What, are you gonna grab this 13 tons of scrap metal that I'm hauling? Guy. :shobon:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Well, I puttered over to Li Yong-Rui territory and bought myself a Python with the discount. Now that I'm out of the Imperial Clipper and back to something that can land at outposts: For someone who's just returning from basically before Powerplay, is the best sources of cash still milling over to community events?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is a nice place to stop for lunch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role?

Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.

Never because otherwise people could only use the new ships and forego older models and we can't have that, no sir.

So all new ships must be sidegrades at best or horribly flawed somehow, so that everybody will keep using the Cobra mk III forever and ever.

There are a few precious exceptions of course, but mostly new ships are crap and that's pretty much intended.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just cried a little.

On a side note, it also occurred to me that if multi-crew participants are able to access their 3rd person ship cameras at will while being crew on someone else's ship, we're going to get some pretty insane dogfight footage once that particular ability shifts over to in-game status.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i hear they are asking for another 50 english pounds for the new expansion lmao

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

LCL-Dead posted:

When the gently caress is Frontier going to roll out something that's actually loving sexy and works well in it's intended role? The FDL is close but it just doesn't do it for me like some of the Caldari ships from Eve or even a few of the offerings CIG has managed to churn out. Aside from lack of depth (Which isn't even a huge issue for me) the lack of some truly sexy ships is the only other problem I have with ED.

The Cutter is sexy, and works well in its intended role, which is being able to shift more cargo than anything else you can fly, whilst being so heavily armed nothing short of a full wing will want to mess with you.

Sadly, being fun to fly isn't part of that role.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I should shotgun up my Clipper since I'm on top of the "get in their face" game anyway?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

xiansi posted:

The Cutter is sexy, and works well in its intended role, which is being able to shift more cargo than anything else you can fly, whilst being so heavily armed nothing short of a full wing will want to mess with you.

Sadly, being fun to fly isn't part of that role.

I masslocked an Anaconda with mine the other night. He seemed shocked.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nurel posted:

i hear they are asking for another 50 english pounds for the new expansion lmao

It's pretty worth it, imo. Landing on planets is fun as hell, and dicking around with Points of Interest on planet surfaces is a lot less painful than hunting Signal Sources in space because you're always doing sick ramps off of rock formations. It's a pretty nice terrain generator, and you get some really gorgeous views of space poo poo. It's got me really excited for like next year when they hopefully roll out planets with atmospheres.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Space Skeleton posted:

I masslocked an Anaconda with mine the other night. He seemed shocked.

"What the gently caress, there's no capital ship over here!"

"Oh."

"...Oh."

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Does anyone else have issues with cannons just refusing to fire for no apparent reason? I have ammo, I have weapon energy, and I'm mashing on the fire button but the thing just refuses to shoot most of the time. It's the only weapon type that gives me this issue.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A cloudy day.

Edit: I got a wider angle.

TomR fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 21, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

timn posted:

Does anyone else have issues with cannons just refusing to fire for no apparent reason? I have ammo, I have weapon energy, and I'm mashing on the fire button but the thing just refuses to shoot most of the time. It's the only weapon type that gives me this issue.

It could be a range of motion thing. Guns on a cobra mk3's small hardpoints can only aim at things that are kinda below your "equator", for example.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

timn posted:

Do you have enough power to run them? Is the target you're trying to shoot within the articulation of the hardpoint, like you're not trying to shoot through your own ship? Did you remember to set up a fire group? Is the right fire group selected? Is your secondary fire key bound?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Figured it out through some trial and error. Turns out that the range of the gimbal cursor is significantly larger than the actual firing arc of the gun. Thanks Frontier. :thumbsup:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

It's pretty worth it, imo. Landing on planets is fun as hell, and dicking around with Points of Interest on planet surfaces is a lot less painful than hunting Signal Sources in space because you're always doing sick ramps off of rock formations. It's a pretty nice terrain generator, and you get some really gorgeous views of space poo poo. It's got me really excited for like next year when they hopefully roll out planets with atmospheres.

yeah i may hop back in for that... planets with atmosphere are cool.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nurel posted:

I hope that trying to land on an atmospheric planet when you have no shields and a broken canopy has the predictable results :unsmigghh:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

well i first got into the game with very high hopes and played a lot but we all know how that went i wont go into it in length

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm imagining the game's engine trying to handle the visual effects of reentry from a first person view and shuddering.

It's not hard to understand the multitude of reasons why they didn't want to open that can of worms all at once just yet!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Icedude posted:

I hope that trying to land on an atmospheric planet when you have no shields and a broken canopy has the predictable results :unsmigghh:

I'm guessing it won't, because of the FSD. I'm pretty sure that thing makes its own little deflection/reality bubble, or you'd be having your own set of problems from going through witchspace with a broken canopy.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

magic mountain posted:

How much did you have on xbox? You can get rich pretty quick with help.

Only about 5 mil. I'm in a fully decked out Cobra. I don't really care too much about the money, it's the grinding I did for Empire rank which is gonna suck losing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

The fitting system needs a total revamp.

A complete ground up redo of the entire module, compartment, hard point and utility system.

Hopefully when they release some non-starter ships in the 10m-100m price range we start seeing some better ships. But I think the newest set was doomed from the start by their hull cost.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A nicer fitting interface would be nice while they're at it, too.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

timn posted:

I just fixed mount my cannons. They blow at anything but extremely short range anyways so you should be able to use it just fine in a fixed mount and never have the issue where you pull the trigger and nothing happens.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I fit a pair of C2 frag cannon turrets into my Python's C2 mounts and while they don't seem to be too effective, they are downright hilarious. All I need is down a nimble opponent's shields and if they're anywhere near my top hemisphere they're about to catch a faceful of flak - turrets will happily empty the whole 3-cartridge hopper in one go, ftam-ftam-ftam, and absolutely pepper a target with shot. They seem a bit more effective against large targets than multicannons, too.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm just curious to see how they're going to pull off forested and water covered worlds if/when they ever let us land on them, especially worlds with a population.

I just can't wrap my head around how they're going to pull off planets like Earth or Mars or other heavily populated planets (I'm willing to bet they'll just be locked with some made up lore about civilian casualties and crashing spaceships).

But an unpopulated earth like with forests is going to be interesting in an SRV, pending the growth doesn't destroy GPUs when it tries to render.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm guessing it won't, because of the FSD. I'm pretty sure that thing makes its own little deflection/reality bubble, or you'd be having your own set of problems from going through witchspace with a broken canopy.

More than that.. The escape from a res would probably kill your pilot with a broken canopy seeing as you'd have numerous bits of rock and debris pelting your space suit at hundreds of meters per second.

God forbid a random rivet from some recently chewed up ship at a station makes it through that hole as you're boosting up to the slot in an effort to beat the timer at a station.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 21, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nurel posted:

Are they actually adding planets with atmospheres to Horizons? That's a serious question, by the way, I haven't really paid much attention to what they've been saying about this "season" other than that they're adding multicrew, crafting, and custom player models.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

I fit a pair of C2 frag cannon turrets into my Python's C2 mounts and while they don't seem to be too effective, they are downright hilarious. All I need is down a nimble opponent's shields and if they're anywhere near my top hemisphere they're about to catch a faceful of flak - turrets will happily empty the whole 3-cartridge hopper in one go, ftam-ftam-ftam, and absolutely pepper a target with shot. They seem a bit more effective against large targets than multicannons, too.

This sounds amazing and I must try this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm just curious to see how they're going to pull off forested and water covered worlds if/when they ever let us land on them, especially worlds with a population.

I just can't wrap my head around how they're going to pull off planets like Earth or Mars or other heavily populated planets (I'm willing to bet they'll just be locked with some made up lore about civilian casualties and crashing spaceships).

Eh... I'm holding out faith that they'll figure something out. People are doing some pretty cool things with procedural generation these days, and there are some good-looking procedural city generators out there. Like I've said before, I'd be honestly happy if they even had something as decent as like a future sci-fi version of the thing 7 Days To Die uses to procedurally generate towns and cities.

Anyway, as for forested worlds, Space Engineers, for example, is already on a pretty good track for life-bearing planets. The really hard part is going to be coming up with a sufficient variety of life forms, without ending up with janky Spore Creator-looking guys like No Man's Sky has. I have every reason to assume that atmospheric and/or life-bearing and/or colonized planets will be, at the very least, graphically pretty and probably fun to explore, if not especially interesting beyond that.

If I had to guess on the order of things, we'll get atmosphere worlds and gas giants in the same update together, but I bet earth-likes will come later, along with the update that lets us physically walk around as a pilot avatar. I wonder if they'll let us go underwater in some kind of submersible SRV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
1: How do i use the SRV cargo scoop? I'm parked in front of a tiny rock i shot up, slowly nudging it with my phallic being, cargo scoop deployed, but nothing is happening.
2: What does driving assist do?
3: When i'm driving like a c00l boyz cause i'm a c00l boy i constantly take damage, how to not take damage while driving like a naughty lad. help.

• Locked thread