Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Roargasm posted:

I really liked working with FTG Technologies for the phone project at my last job, they're in Quincy. I don't know if they specialize in what you're looking to do but they have some kickass engineers and are definitely worth meeting with

I worked with FTG at my last job too, and they are pretty great but I think they're mostly network engineers, not really web developers. I'l ask them just in case though, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just try to get promoted now. In the areas where you're strong, you'll do great; In the areas where you're weak, you'll learn quickly.

These guys speak the truth. You don't want to stagnate in an environment where you aren't being challenged on a daily basis, especially with how things are evolving. IMO, more than 1 year in a help desk/noc is more than enough to move up to a sysadmin position if you're working at it and it's what you want to do.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just try to get promoted now. In the areas where you're strong, you'll do great; In the areas where you're weak, you'll learn quickly.

I've always been told if you're fully qualified for a position, you're shooting too low.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

How do you guys ask for a promotion. Or rather, ask what u need to do to get a promotion?
I don't want a promotion right now. I think i'm 1-2 years away from being a 2nd line tech
But I want to talk with my senior to see what I need to possess to be promoted to a 2nd line tech position. The reason I wanna ask is that awhile back, my senior told me that my knowledge at certain areas way exceed what the 2nd line techs here all know. And that I currently am better than a certain 2nd line tech will ever be.

So yeah. I kinda wanna know what he needs to see. before he is fully convinced i should move to a 2nd line position.
Other than the already stated grammar improvement, I look for people who actually try to learn and take on new responsibilities.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I believe that Sefal is from the Netherlands, so English is most likely their second language.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I believe that Sefal is from the Netherlands, so English is most likely their second language.
Even if not applicable to him, it's good advice in general for other members reading this thread. Being able to communicate clearly and intelligently (both perceived intelligence and real intelligence) is important and is a factor in deciding whether to promote an employee.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sefal posted:

I don't want a promotion right now. I think i'm 1-2 years away from being a 2nd line tech

Holy poo poo no. Stop it. Stop cutting yourself short. Don't let yourself be the one getting in the way of you moving up.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm from the Netherlands but I agree. I should work on my grammar.
I'm going to speak to my boss this week and see how that goes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Holy poo poo no. Stop it. Stop cutting yourself short. Don't let yourself be the one getting in the way of you moving up.

Also just because some other schmuck sticks around on tier 1 forever doesn't mean you have to. Some people have very low aspirations in life and are happy to stay entry level forever. Perhaps not coincidentally these people also tend to be lousy at their jobs. I guess what I'm saying is these folks are not necessarily the best role models.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Just to add my 2 cents...

I got promoted to T2 a few months ago and am now part of the hiring and training processes for T1s. I understand sticking around at T1 if this is a part time college job and you have aspirations for other things. We employ a number of college kids where I'm at and I'm happy they are getting experience and money and hope they go far in life. But, every full time T1 I've dealt with that has been doing this for years I wonder what the gently caress they are doing with their life. They have no drive, no aspirations and usually no brains. Unless you are biding out your time until retirement you should be working on moving up as quickly as possible so you can get more interesting work and make more money.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What does everyone use for graphing things like switches, system statistics etc?

At my last couple of jobs we used Cacti but I keep hearing Graphite being mentioned. the only problem I see is that rather than having a poller that pulls the information in, it's a push arrangement where you have to set up a bunch of different agents for different things and it appears to mostly be text file manipulation in the configuration files to add more counters?

I want to graph all of the switch statistics, sans, esxi, cpu, memory, disk of our vms etc just about everything and it still looks like Cacti is my best bet but is that just me being an old man?

It really shits me that we hardly graph anything at my current job.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

theperminator posted:

What does everyone use for graphing things like switches, system statistics etc?

At my last couple of jobs we used Cacti but I keep hearing Graphite being mentioned. the only problem I see is that rather than having a poller that pulls the information in, it's a push arrangement where you have to set up a bunch of different agents for different things and it appears to mostly be text file manipulation in the configuration files to add more counters?

I want to graph all of the switch statistics, sans, esxi, cpu, memory, disk of our vms etc just about everything and it still looks like Cacti is my best bet but is that just me being an old man?

Depends on your budget, what gear you have and how much time you want to put into it.

Graphite is great, if you have shitloads of time.

Cacti works well without requiring too much work.

Nagios with pnp4nagios/nagvis works for combination of graphing/alerting.

OpenNMS is ok, but is missing some things when it comes to graphing/historicals without a lot of work.

Check_MK is a nice nagios/nagvis skin and control option.

If you have money, PRTG is nice. So is solarwinds Orion, everything else is poo poo.

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 21, 2015

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

theperminator posted:

We use PRTG - https://www.paessler.com/prtg. It's not free but I really like it. It'll do graphing out of the box but there are a whole bunch of other sensors you can use - SNMP, Windows uptime, disk space, ESXi stats. I'm pretty sure there's a 30 day trial too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm just gonna keep responding with Zabbix for graphing / monitoring combo :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

I'm just gonna keep responding with Zabbix for graphing / monitoring combo :v:

I have been using Opsview Core for a few years now and it has worked great. They decided to stop updating core, and the only free version they offer now limits you to 25 hosts.

I have a base install of Zabbix going, just need to move all my poo poo over to it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Different topic: anyone tried out Dell's newish PowerEdge FX2 ~*converged infrastructure*~ gear? We're about to do a major data center refresh and were planning to go with a bunch of typical rackmount boxes. But our Dell rep pointed out this option and it looks pretty interesting. FX2 seems to sit someplace between a full-on blade system and traditional rackmount. Sort of like their VRTX product on steroids.

Just eyeballing the specs, we'd be able to collapse the number of R730's we'd quoted into 1/4th the rack space in FC630 "blades". Which is nuts. We don't really need the density, but even at our small scale that starts to add up in terms of power costs and number of switchports required. They seem ready to give an insane discount, presumably due to end-of-year sales panic. But the platform is also only a year old so we're a little hesitant to bet the farm on it.

Use case is pretty typical, just need a whole bunch of XenServer hypervisors to run our applications on.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Docjowles posted:

Different topic: anyone tried out Dell's newish PowerEdge FX2 ~*converged infrastructure*~ gear? We're about to do a major data center refresh and were planning to go with a bunch of typical rackmount boxes. But our Dell rep pointed out this option and it looks pretty interesting. FX2 seems to sit someplace between a full-on blade system and traditional rackmount. Sort of like their VRTX product on steroids.

Just eyeballing the specs, we'd be able to collapse the number of R730's we'd quoted into 1/4th the rack space in FC630 "blades". Which is nuts. We don't really need the density, but even at our small scale that starts to add up in terms of power costs and number of switchports required. They seem ready to give an insane discount, presumably due to end-of-year sales panic. But the platform is also only a year old so we're a little hesitant to bet the farm on it.

Use case is pretty typical, just need a whole bunch of XenServer hypervisors to run our applications on.

Let me know how it goes for you, we're looking at the same thing for our new building installation in May

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We're still deciding if we want to try it. We were ready to pull the trigger on our order when out of nowhere our rep said "oh hey we also have this other thing you should look at before committing to this". So we're working through what that would look like with them. But will update if we do in fact decide to go that way.

Still interested if anyone has it running in the wild today.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I just quickly looked at Dell's website for these. Is it supposed to be Babby's First Blade Chassis?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

But only $600 cheaper than a BladeCenter S?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's potentially a competitor to the HP(E) HyperConverged stuff, or at least could be configured to do that. Doesn't seem as flexible with the storage options though. An FX2 with a couple of server blocks and a couple of the storage blocks could be a decent little box.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got an email from a recruiter today for a help desk position. On average it pays $48k, which would be a good raise. Except it's in Oakland. Lolno.

I'm not even sure why you would try to recruit someone from Colorado for a job in CA, anyway.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 22, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got an email from a recruiter today for a help desk pose. On average it pays $48k, which would be a good raise. Except it's in Oakland. Lolno.

I'm not even sure why you would try to recruit someone from Colorado for a job in CA, anyway.
Some people really want to move to the bay area, or the west coast in general.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got an email from a recruiter today for a help desk pose. On average it pays $48k, which would be a good raise. Except it's in Oakland. Lolno.

I think its called shotgun recruiting. It seems that companies believe the best way to fill a position for a client is to send the job opening to thousands of possible employees in every corner of the united sates.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry, I meant why would you try to get help desk people from 1500 miles away, not people in general. Maybe Sickening is right and they just do the same thing as they would do for a senior admin job.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

What I've heard is that the bay area is actually short on qualified IT people at the moment, but nobody wants to pay more for the positions. So, in order to find people who will work for the wages companies will offer, they have to actively recruit from outside the area and hope that people think that 40-50k is actually a good income instead of, you know, minimum wage.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd believe that. I did the cost of living calculations for fun. In SF, it would be a 50% pay cut from what I'm getting. If I moved to Oakland, it would be about the same, but I'd have the bonus of an exciting life dodging crackheads and bullets.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I work for a company in Oakland and moved from MI. We get about half of the new employees from out of state. It might even be the same one that emailed you. A lot of people want to live in the bay area. Mild weather all year round, hardly any rain, no snow. The whole area has great job growth and it is making it harder to find local employees. Employers in general would rather hire someone who is currently working than take a chance on someone. More employed people will pass the phone screening and technical interview by far, so it is a better use of the recruiters time to focus their efforts Also more companies are hiring experienced people for all roles and have very few entry level positions.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Despite my SIP trunks being down, I get to play my favorite game over the next few days:

Pitting vendors against each other for my love(money).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Talked to my boss about promoting me.
It's not happening. Even though he believes that I can make the jump to tier 2 and even acknowledges that I am performing better than my other tier 2 colleagues. He will only promote me if I get MCSA certified and he wants me to get a bit more work experience. He agrees that I would excel at tier 2.
I've still yet to pass 70-410. Time to get off my rear end and just do it. I will ask for this promotion the moment I pass 70-412

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

It's not happening. Even though he believes that I can make the jump to tier 2 and even acknowledges that I am performing better than my other tier 2 colleagues. He will only promote me if I get MCSA certified and he wants me to get a bit more work experience. He agrees that I would excel at tier 2.
I've still yet to pass 70-410. Time to get off my rear end and just do it. I will ask for this promotion the moment I pass 70-412

This is how I interpreted it:

I know you would be just fine in the position, but gently caress you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

Is everyone at tier 2 MCSA?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

Is everyone at tier 2 MCSA?

Nobody at tier 2 is MCSA certified

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
edit:double post

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sefal posted:

Sefal posted:

Nobody at tier 2 is MCSA certified

Start searching for another job, get your MCSA Cert and leave.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Well in that case

ratbert90 posted:

This is how I interpreted it:

I know you would be just fine in the position, but gently caress you.

Time to go somewhere else!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sefal posted:

Yeah, you're never getting promoted. I'm equivalent to Tier 3 in my current position and I haven't even looked at getting my MCSA. Your boss is just bullshitting you to get some time out of you before you realize he was never sincere and leave for greener pastures.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Well in that case

Time to go somewhere else!

Yeah, this part:

quote:

Even though he believes that I can make the jump to tier 2 and even acknowledges that I am performing better than my other tier 2 colleagues.
Is the "I know you would be fine but gently caress you." part.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I should :yotj:
I did get an offer from one of our consultants to come work for him. I should see what my option are over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

Yeah, I should :yotj:
I did get an offer from one of our consultants to come work for him. I should see what my option are over there.

Also probably a bad idea. You don't want to quit your job and then hang around as a consultant. It sounds like a toxic environment that is taking advantage of you (please do tier 2 work at tier 1 pay, and no you won't be promoted until you're qualified for tier 3 so we can continually underpay you). Just move on, if you already have offers it shouldn't take long to find something better.