Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

Some. You can still upgrade your equipment with comms along the way, just not as frequently.

Is it that comms are not as plentiful from quests? I ran a bunch of chars through during 12x so I made alot of legacy sets. I hope there's enough for weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tenzarin posted:

Is it that comms are not as plentiful from quests? I ran a bunch of chars through during 12x so I made alot of legacy sets. I hope there's enough for weapons?

No, they actually removed a few vendors in the hopes that people could make money crafting again.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Reinstalling to play a class through again, I guess I get to do planet stories now too.

Did they remove those comm parts that could be used to make really good leveling gear?

You're probably better off to run heroics which will give you really good on-level blue gear and saving your comms for weapons. Comms will buy you companion gifts and some of the more grindy items form KOTFE.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hulk Smash! posted:

You're probably better off to run heroics which will give you really good on-level blue gear and saving your comms for weapons. Comms will buy you companion gifts and some of the more grindy items form KOTFE.

I doubt ill get past the old vanilla stuff, like taking a class from 1-55 whatever. I could just spawn a weapon shell anytime, really was just interested if the mod vendors still let me just stock up whenever. Read that they lowered them down from blues so its have to upgrade sooner i guess.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

I doubt ill get past the old vanilla stuff, like taking a class from 1-55 whatever. I could just spawn a weapon shell anytime, really was just interested if the mod vendors still let me just stock up whenever. Read that they lowered them down from blues so its have to upgrade sooner i guess.

The mod vendors are still there. They did lower them from blue, but they also rejiggered the stats and made companions more powerful so there's really no net loss. The game gives you a ton of crystals to upgrade your gear. It's super easy to level now, don't worry.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I just finished leveling a character from 1-65 just doing the purple quests and you still get a poo poo ton of crystals you can upgrade your gear with. I just always picked the crystal quest reward instead of the armor piece, with the exception of relic/earpiece/implant rewards. I had more than enough crystals to keep my gear decent. There's also a vendor that sells adaptive weapons and offhands for crystals if you want a shell for those.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Yeah I basically spend comms whenever I notice I actually took damage in a fight, so every three planets or so. All my equipment is decked out in green scrub poo poo and I'm still crushing the leveling. Again, this isn't a complaint, it's a complement.

Okay so the new movie and everything had me revisiting how uneasily my "goddamnit I love Star Wars" existss with how wholeheartedly I embrace the liberal pomo "gently caress the binary" stuff. I wouldn't say this article explains it particularly well but is kinda what I'm talking about, also think everything about KoToR 2's "the force is the real bad guy" theme. Is there ANYTHING like that in SWTOR? The closest I've seen is playing a light side sith, who depending on the context you read into their potentially stated goal of "reforming the empire" might be a benevolent fascist, or could just be trying to turn the empire into the republic but british. Playing a full dark-side Jedi (councilor at least, my knight was LS) I've run into precisely nothing that questions the Jedi Order, the role of the Force in general, or the weird relation between the Jedi and the Republic. I've only just finished act one as a trooper, which is the only bit on the republic side I can think of where those themes even could come up, and I really don't think they will. As an IA, you get a little bit of the sense of what being a random imperial would be like, but again it doesn't go much beyond "sith be crazy" and the empire are the "bad guys" anyway. I don't really expect these themes to be in the game; part of the reason I love Star Wars is it's elemental appeal and IIRC KoToR 2 was written by a man who actively hates the franchise, but was wondering if anyone saw them smuggled in anywhere. Maybe the endgame stuff? I haven't played anything past the original 1-50 stories, does SoR get into this at all?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Is there any good/fun/reasonable reason to keep grinding away heroics in KOTFE? That's how one levels their Alliance Level right? What does that get me?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So reinstalling again, but I'm stuck at 0%. Cant remember what I did to fix this a few months ago.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is there any good/fun/reasonable reason to keep grinding away heroics in KOTFE? That's how one levels their Alliance Level right? What does that get me?

From a few pages back:

Aleth posted:

At every 2 levels of an alliance asset you get a mission on your datapad in the unmarked commander quarters that gives you some crystals for gear. As you destroy the Star Fortresses you also get additional companions available, as well as titles and poo poo if you care about that sort of thing.

Also there are some mounts you only get access to at level 20 in each section, maybe some other cosmetic poo poo?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

Boatloads of crystals, some rewards when you run the Heroic 2+ Star Fortresses, the Fully Armed and Operational title (at level 10 for all factions) and Alliance Commander title (20 for all factions), and, as Medullah said a few pages back, shame.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Digital Osmosis posted:

IIRC KoToR 2 was written by a man who actively hates the franchise, but was wondering if anyone saw them smuggled in anywhere. Maybe the endgame stuff? I haven't played anything past the original 1-50 stories, does SoR get into this at all?

I believe what Avellone said was that he hated having to go through all of the EU novels to prepare for writing KOTOR2, not that he hates Star Wars. Personally not having read any EU books I feel that KOTOR2's take on the Force wasn't effective because it's not actually the same "Force" that is described in the movies and based on Eastern mysticism. Instead it treated the Force as a possibly sentient destiny-maker in the same vein as Western ideas about God and relies on the audience's inherent love of human actions that defy fate.

SoR does not really get into the Force. KotFE does in a way that's different than what you might expect, though of course it's not a complete story yet so we don't know yet where it's going to go with its ideas.

severina
Apr 13, 2003
fnord
Reinstalling again because I'm kinda bored with Eve at the moment. I haven't played in years, and I'm assuming my server is dead looking at the server status.

What server is That's No Goon on? I notice the enjin site is pretty dead, so I am unsure if the info is still current.

severina fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 20, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jedi Covenant.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arsit, are we shooting for 7 or 8 tonight?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

Arsit, are we shooting for 7 or 8 tonight?

The plan remains 8.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Osmosis posted:

Okay so the new movie and everything had me revisiting how uneasily my "goddamnit I love Star Wars" existss with how wholeheartedly I embrace the liberal pomo "gently caress the binary" stuff. I wouldn't say this article explains it particularly well but is kinda what I'm talking about,

You might enjoy reading “Star Wars” despots vs. “Star Trek” populists, by noted sci-fi author David Brin. He wrote it when the last "first movie" came out. :)

(Holy cow, was that really sixteen years ago? :corsair:)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Assuming I have a lot of free time during this double xp holiday, would it make more sense story-wise to go through all the class stories before I move into Ilum and beyond on whichever I like most?

EDIT: ^^ I really liked this line from that article: "Remember the final scene in “Return of the Jedi,” when Luke gazes into a fire to see Obi-Wan, Yoda and Vader, smiling in the flames? I found myself hoping it was Jedi Hell, for the amount of pain those three unleashed on their galaxy, and for all the damned lies they told."

Haha, Jedi Hell.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 21, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That along with one of each faction through Makeb would allow you to see all the unique content so that's a good way to go, yeah.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Couple of nice runs at Hard Mode Operator 9 tonight. Nice work to the new guys. :)

I'll pop on at 8 tomorrow to see if we have enough interested to try and finish it up.

Also, Arsit, Thursday night is going to be bad this week and next (Christmas/New Years Eve) so maybe we can try and do something Wednesday instead?

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Question about the guilds ship the Space Bar, Was that a thing No Goon had or am I getting mixed up?

Did we lose it due to lack of people logging on? If so how do I contribute to bringing it back?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Sardikar posted:

Question about the guilds ship the Space Bar, Was that a thing No Goon had or am I getting mixed up?

Did we lose it due to lack of people logging on? If so how do I contribute to bringing it back?

It's still there - hit U, guild tab and you can port straight to it and bask in the glory of the dance troupe.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a decent parser out there? One that is 'Goon Recommended'? I'm looking to make sure that my toons are operating where they should, damage-wise

Can't do anything about my poor grasp of mechanics, though.:D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

Is there a decent parser out there? One that is 'Goon Recommended'? I'm looking to make sure that my toons are operating where they should, damage-wise

Can't do anything about my poor grasp of mechanics, though.:D

Starparse. It's what most of us use, you can even sync it up (we generally have it going during HM raids).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If we ever get some room in the pub guild can someone post an alert in here or something? I plan to start working on a republic character once I finish my sorc regardless, but would rather be with goons than not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

If we ever get some room in the pub guild can someone post an alert in here or something? I plan to start working on a republic character once I finish my sorc regardless, but would rather be with goons than not.

Yeah Oedzi PM'd me that he gave me the ability to clean it up so I'll do that today. Every rank can invite on Pub side.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Yeah Oedzi PM'd me that he gave me the ability to clean it up so I'll do that today. Every rank can invite on Pub side.

Oh, that's good!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

prefect posted:

You might enjoy reading “Star Wars” despots vs. “Star Trek” populists, by noted sci-fi author David Brin. He wrote it when the last "first movie" came out. :)

(Holy cow, was that really sixteen years ago? :corsair:)

Thanks, I did totally enjoy that!

I've decided I'll play through the new expansion as my light side sith warrior and if I ever replay it do it as a non-force user from the republic. Maybe it's because I found the JK's story so obvious and bland (I guess except for the act 2 - 3 bridge) and how bored Nolan North sounds even when I try and play the JC as a mustache twirling villain (the harshest thing he's said is "sometime's it's useful to save your emotions for when you need them, like in battle." +50 DS points.) But really I think it's why the new movie bends over backwards so hard in plotting (very effectively, I thought) to make it's heroes the scrappy underdogs again despite ostensibly "winning" 30 years ago - a lone person, trained in the jedi way and using the force to fight evil is an interesting if somewhat rote super-hero story. An institution of people, who gain their powers via genetic lines, whose history dates past the state they "protect" and who engage in politics and the necessarily dogmatic work of running a religious order is both boring and shows the human fallibility a little too strongly. Come of think of it, that was a problem with the prequels too - one Mace Windu doesn't make up for all the unnecessary details about how the jedi raise younglings, or arguing over a prophesy or whatever. SWTOR's Jedi stuff have the same issue. Playing a LS Sith gets you closer to the "one man against the world" feeling of the original movies and, you know, lets you have a hero who might believe in passion and compassion.

I've put far too much thought into this, obviously.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pub guild is cleaned up a bit, so we now have room again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Osmosis posted:

I've decided I'll play through the new expansion as my light side sith warrior and if I ever replay it do it as a non-force user from the republic. Maybe it's because I found the JK's story so obvious and bland (I guess except for the act 2 - 3 bridge)

I finished a replay of the JK storyline this past weekend, and I loved the Corellia part. I got to see Bengel Morr again. And Master Kiwiiks. And Lord Praven. And that guy I saved as a padawan on Tython. :3:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

prefect posted:

I finished a replay of the JK storyline this past weekend, and I loved the Corellia part. I got to see Bengel Morr again. And Master Kiwiiks. And Lord Praven. And that guy I saved as a padawan on Tython. :3:

Okay actually yes, this part was very good too. It was super cool seeing all the LS decisions I made to not murder dudes come back. I usually spare characters in video games as that almost always leads to more interesting options in the future and I thought Corellia was a very nice little "reward" Bioware threw in for that play-style. Same thing happens in the IA story-line - sparing someone in Act 2 leads to the option of a very different ending. Hell I even sometimes spare that Shaheed dude in Alpha Protocol because of the ending possibilities despite him being an unapologetic anti-western terrorist and despite the fact that killing him absolutely, regardless of the larger machinations going on in that game, makes the world a safer/better place.

Okay so maybe JK wasn't as bad as I remember? Maybe it was just a bit rote, and the stuff with Scourge and Reven made it feel WAAAY too mary sueish.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Digital Osmosis posted:

Same thing happens in the IA story-line - sparing someone in Act 2 leads to the option of a very different ending.

I wanted that ending so bad, but I let my anger at being mind-controlled cloud my better judgement. :rant:

Double XP lasts for another week or two, maybe I could level yet another character and do it all right...

(I've also read that if you do everything just right, you get to go on a date with Watcher Two, but I don't think she's into dating aliens, and Chiss is the One True Agent Race.)

Also, if I did it all over again, I wouldn't space-marry Kaliyo just because I wanted to see what would happen.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

Pub guild is cleaned up a bit, so we now have room again.

Was just coming here to post this. There's plenty of room in the Pub guild, every rank can invite on that side. If no one is on (which is, sadly, a decent possibility) just head over to Imp side and ask. I should be on for the next couple hours.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Okay so maybe JK wasn't as bad as I remember? Maybe it was just a bit rote, and the stuff with Scourge and Reven made it feel WAAAY too mary sueish.

It's not that it's a bad story - it's just very basic. It's your standard, paint by numbers, Star Wars story. I mean, it might be slightly more interesting as DS, but as a LS JK, there's absolutely nothing interesting going on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jedi posted:

Was just coming here to post this. There's plenty of room in the Pub guild, every rank can invite on that side. If no one is on (which is, sadly, a decent possibility) just head over to Imp side and ask. I should be on for the next couple hours.

Is there a limit on how many characters we can have in the guild? I think I have six or seven 'Pubs... :blush:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

prefect posted:

Is there a limit on how many characters we can have in the guild? I think I have six or seven 'Pubs... :blush:

Not at all. Pub side isn't nearly as active as Imp side so there's still plenty of people in the guild who haven't logged on in over a year. When it starts to fill up again, we've got plenty more to kick before we have to start instituting limits on alts.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

prefect posted:

I wanted that ending so bad, but I let my anger at being mind-controlled cloud my better judgement. :rant:

(I've also read that if you do everything just right, you get to go on a date with Watcher Two, but I don't think she's into dating aliens, and Chiss is the One True Agent Race.)

Can confirm that's possible with a Chiss. I think it might be the near-human thing? I dunno, the Star Wars concept of aliens has always been weird. Then again, my sith pureblood had the option of calling the Chiss commander on Hoth a filthy alien, so I dunno.

Do any other races have unique dialog? I know the imperials get some dialog if you're any of the "alien" races but as a Chiss agent, once or twice they specifically mentioned growing up in the Chiss Ascendancy, what the food was like, it's relation to the empire, etc. Like, two or three references over the entire campaign, but I don't think I've seen it with any other race and class.

Damnit now I kinda wanna replay the IA story. Not sure how much different I'd play it except maybe being a little more loyal to the empire, although tbh there's almost no way to get through that storyline without your character becoming completely disillusioned. I made my Chiss agent both the Hand of Jadus and a double agent for the SIS, because my head-canon had him as trying to keep the war ongoing so the Chiss can expand in peace.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is there any new dialogue if you play one of the opposing faction races via legacy/cartel market?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

With how saturated the world is in Star Wars advertising, I can't believe they couldn't shoe horn something about TFA into this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of the games set in a specific era didn't do much actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

They can still do basically whatever, and pass it off as the people in the modern StarWars world picked up whatever "new" stuff comes out as being based on historical designs from this or that.

So you can get a Kylo Ren lightsaber in SWTOR, call it Darth Whatever's lightsaber and just insinuate that Kylo Ren designed his based on that lightsaber. Maybe Darth Whatever was a 3rd gen Most Powerful Sith Lord or something, who knows who cares.

Lightsabers are classic concepts anyway, I am super shocked it wasn't for sale for $20 in the cartel market.

Maybe Rey's speeder too. I think people might pay for a BB-X droid too, although I supposed they'd do it in different colors like the R2's have all been weird colors instead of straight up R2-D2.

• Locked thread