Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

What the hell does this mean?

Apple made Hey Siri work all the time on the 6S and 6S+. Everything else needs to be charging for it be enable. iOS generally sees every battery case as a simple power source so having one means you can use Hey Siri. Apple went out of its way so that their case does not do this.

There's no reason for other devices (at least the 6 and 6+ and poo poo like the iPad Pro) to not have Hey Siri enabled all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The reason is that Apple wants you to buy a new phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well duh, selling stuff makes them money.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AppleCider posted:

This is exactly what I believe happened, which is why the more recent messages (<30 days / last 8, whatever) were restored after re-configuring voicemail on the phone. I just didn't realize swapping a SIM card would render the older messages inaccessible. What I can't figure out is whether they were actually removed.

If they were stored by the carrier then why not put the old SIM cards back in, download the messages using the app and then put the new sim back in?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I didn't know people were actually able to make good use out of the hey siri feature

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I didn't know people were actually able to make good use out of the hey siri feature

I use it in the car -- "Hey Siri, play the next song" to skip tracks, so I'm not distracted on the highway. But then it doesn't recognize my voice because I'm trying to yell over the road noise and my tone changes, so I turn down the music and then maybe it works, and finally after 30 seconds of some lovely skit or bad song I didn't want to hear it works, and it just chills on the loving Siri screen afterwards instead of intelligently realizing I'd much rather be looking at the active GPS it's currently covering up for no good reason. It's basically way more distracting than taking my eyes off the straight road for 0.3 seconds, swiping up for control panel and pushing skip.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I was gonna say. I have a appleplay/CarPlay receiver that connects to my phone and tried to use it. Way more trouble than it was worth and it would always activate with normal conversation with others

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dewgy posted:

SMS texts are a bad example for being one of the most incredible rip-offs ever. It's pager technology, and the character limit is because SMS messages use up the empty dead space at the end of a standard service ping.

Your phone is sending empty SMS messages every single time it does anything with the carrier tower. If you compose and send a message, it piggybacks on the signal. No change in power or usage apart from a script on their end splitting the message out for delivery.

Incidentally, the Twitter limits of 140 characters per tweet and 15 characters per username is to fit in the 160 character SMS limit.

Also why you can't start a message with "D " – because it's used for DMs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I'm giving my girlfriend my old 5s soon. I plan on wiping the phone. Here's my issue:

I have iCloud Photo Library on but if I wipe this phone , am I gonna lose all the photos from the 5s camera roll in my iCloud library ?
Will I need to import them on my Mac or something to stop them being lost?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So I'm giving my girlfriend my old 5s soon. I plan on wiping the phone. Here's my issue:

I have iCloud Photo Library on but if I wipe this phone , am I gonna lose all the photos from the 5s camera roll in my iCloud library ?

As long as your photos have uploaded to the ~cloud~, you'll be fine.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

They will be restored to the phone when you restore from iCloud backup or iTunes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've already got my new phone set up though so I won't be doing any sort of iCloud restore.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Similar question, is there any way to get back locally stored media when an iTunes restore deletes what is currently on the phone? My girlfriend got her refurbished 6 from the store yesterday and then she took a bunch of pics throughout the day. Then she did a restore that night and all that stuff is gone.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

I've already got my new phone set up though so I won't be doing any sort of iCloud restore.

As mentioned, as long as Photos on the 5S says it's up to date and not "Uploading X photos", everything's in iCloud Photo Library. Erase the 5S at will. If it's still uploading, either let it finish or grab the un-synced images by plugging it into your Mac. Mac Photos will detect them automatically and ignore the rest if both devices are configured for iCloud Photo Library.

Just don't be some kind of weirdo who thinks "erase the 5S" means "pop open Photos and delete every photo." (Though even then you can rescue them from iCloud's Recently Deleted folder.) Erase All Content and Settings, bam, done.

The Casualty posted:

Similar question, is there any way to get back locally stored media when an iTunes restore deletes what is currently on the phone? My girlfriend got her refurbished 6 from the store yesterday and then she took a bunch of pics throughout the day. Then she did a restore that night and all that stuff is gone.

Unless she had iCloud Photo Library or something similar (Carousel, Google, Flickr) turned on and it had time to upload, no, there's no way to get it back—the phone's wiped. A restore wipes the phone and gives you exactly the device you had at the time of the backup. If you have content you want to keep, you need to get it off the device before you restore.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enojy posted:

I use it in the car -- "Hey Siri, play the next song" to skip tracks, so I'm not distracted on the highway. But then it doesn't recognize my voice because I'm trying to yell over the road noise and my tone changes, so I turn down the music and then maybe it works, and finally after 30 seconds of some lovely skit or bad song I didn't want to hear it works, and it just chills on the loving Siri screen afterwards instead of intelligently realizing I'd much rather be looking at the active GPS it's currently covering up for no good reason. It's basically way more distracting than taking my eyes off the straight road for 0.3 seconds, swiping up for control panel and pushing skip.

"Hey Siri, go away"

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Most of my Siri use is for the clock.

"Hey Siri, set my alarm for 8."

"Hey Siri, set a timer for 35 minutes."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

fourwood posted:

Same but also:

Hey Siri, what's the weather like today?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fourwood posted:

Yeah, and adding reminders and shuffling a playlist quickly. I kind of want to make the texting work but it seems super inconvenient to have to compose the message fully in your mind first, then clean up whatever the dictation got wrong.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Oh yeah, "Hey Siri, remind me to <do something> when I get home/to work." is pretty awesome.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Molten Llama posted:

Unless she had iCloud Photo Library or something similar (Carousel, Google, Flickr) turned on and it had time to upload, no, there's no way to get it back—the phone's wiped. A restore wipes the phone and gives you exactly the device you had at the time of the backup. If you have content you want to keep, you need to get it off the device before you restore.

I figured. I don't even think it gave her a warning prompt or anything. That sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fourwood posted:

Oh yeah, "Hey Siri, remind me to <do something> when I get home/to work." is pretty awesome.

Can you actually word it that way around now?
I remember when it first came out you would have to say the location first otherwise the reminder was literally "<do something> when I get home/to work" with no geofence.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

I remember when it first came out you would have to say the location first otherwise the reminder was literally "<do something> when I get home/to work" with no geofence.

Yeah:

Fwiw I think I've always done it that way as well. :iiam:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
See if I say "remind me to do a thing when I get Home", or "how long will it take to drive Home", it places home somewhere in Iowa.

I live in Virginia. Maps knows where home is if I choose home as my destination. I have my correct address set in my contacts card. It's only Siri who thinks I live somewhere I don't. Is there any way to teach Siri where I loving actually live?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

ManSedan posted:

See if I say "remind me to do a thing when I get Home", or "how long will it take to drive Home", it places home somewhere in Iowa.

I live in Virginia. Maps knows where home is if I choose home as my destination. I have my correct address set in my contacts card. It's only Siri who thinks I live somewhere I don't. Is there any way to teach Siri where I loving actually live?

I have a similar problem. I have all my address info set for work and home. I have all the location services enabled but Siri never reminds me.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Yep. I'm sure there are certain settings that need to be on, and you have to define where home and work are. But yeah, you'll get a reminder for just "<do something>" that's geofenced. Works for your contacts, too: "...when I get to <MY GIRLFRIEND>'s home." Also works for "leave".

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

enojy posted:

Siri pretty much summed up for everything right here.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So I've been having a strange issue with my 6S+ and I wanted to get the thread's opinion on it. I've had a 6S+ since launch day and it was working without issue for most of the time but lately it hadn't been picking up my fingerprints well. I went and to the Apple Store and after trying to replace the screen twice and failing they gave me a replacement phone. The issue is, the replacement phone stutters and lags especially when waking it from sleep. The screen will go completely unresponsive for a few seconds before resuming mostly normal operation. If I use TouchID to unlock the phone the phone unlocks normally but then freezes on the homescreen. If the phone is woken up by an incoming call the screen is completely unresponsive and won't allow me to answer the call. After noticing this issue I scheduled another appointment and got another replacement. However, this one is doing the same thing. It doesn't matter if I set it up as a new phone or restore from backup or if it's on 9.1 or upgraded to 9.2. Is this how the 6S is supposed to work or have I been incredibly unlucky with two bad replacements?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 6S definitely does not act like that.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am so frustrated with the App Store today. I had an app that was stuck "updating" and showed no progress on the update so I figured I would delete it and just download it fresh. Well now I don't have the option to do that. The app is not on my phone but on the App Store it still shows the empty progress circle with the stop button in the middle of it. I can press that to stop it but it just dims the circle with nothing else. I've tried force quitting the App Store app, restarting several times, signing in and out of my Apple ID on the App Store and iTunes settings page. I guess when I get home I will plug up to my laptop and copy it over that way. This seems to happen more and more lately. You'd think Apple would be able to get THAT right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the app store is just in a buggy lovely state lately. Well, more than normal.

I have an app with no name and no icon in Settings.app, and it showed up after the app store listed an update for a game I haven't had installed for over a year.. some other apps needed update so I hit 'update all.' Then the app crashed and the (null) app got stuck in my Settings screen.

:iiam:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ochowie posted:

So I've been having a strange issue with my 6S+ and I wanted to get the thread's opinion on it. I've had a 6S+ since launch day and it was working without issue for most of the time but lately it hadn't been picking up my fingerprints well. I went and to the Apple Store and after trying to replace the screen twice and failing they gave me a replacement phone. The issue is, the replacement phone stutters and lags especially when waking it from sleep. The screen will go completely unresponsive for a few seconds before resuming mostly normal operation. If I use TouchID to unlock the phone the phone unlocks normally but then freezes on the homescreen. If the phone is woken up by an incoming call the screen is completely unresponsive and won't allow me to answer the call. After noticing this issue I scheduled another appointment and got another replacement. However, this one is doing the same thing. It doesn't matter if I set it up as a new phone or restore from backup or if it's on 9.1 or upgraded to 9.2. Is this how the 6S is supposed to work or have I been incredibly unlucky with two bad replacements?

If this persists for more than like the first 48 hours, then I'd say it's definitely cause for concern. When I upgraded from my 6, I restored a generally light backup, but one with many pictures. The phone would occasionally (once every 8-10 unlocks) be completely unresponsive for 2-5 seconds on the home screen, but this went away entirely after the first two days, max. Googling suggests the vague "iOS indexing," which may or may not take place exclusively while on wifi.

Sorry I can't be more specific; I personally have no idea why it did this aside from the assumption of new hardware growing pains, and you know how Apple.com's forums can be. But if it's something that persists indefinitely beyond a day or two of initial use, sounds like a lemon to me.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 21, 2015

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

enojy posted:

If this persists for more than like the first 48 hours, then I'd say it's definitely cause for concern. When I upgraded from my 6, I restored a generally light backup, but one with many pictures. The phone would occasionally (once every 8-10 unlocks) be completely unresponsive for 2-5 seconds on the home screen, but this went away entirely after the first two days, max. Googling suggests the vague "iOS indexing," which may or may not take place exclusively while on wifi.

Sorry I can't be more specific; I personally have no idea why it did this aside from the assumption of new hardware growing pains, and you know how Apple.com's forums can be. But if it's something that persists indefinitely beyond a day or two of initial use, sounds like a lemon to me.

Yeah, I saw some of those posts too. I have an appointment at today that I'm not sure if I should keep or reschedule to next week.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The Casualty posted:

I figured. I don't even think it gave her a warning prompt or anything. That sucks.

It most certainly warns you if you hit "restore" in iTunes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

xzzy posted:

I think the app store is just in a buggy lovely state lately. Well, more than normal.

Could this be why I can't make any in-app purchases, you think? I just got a new 6s, and not only did none of my app store purchases transfer over (though I'm using the same Apple ID- no huge loss, I only had a few apps anyhow) I try to make a purchase and it just tells me "this purchase cannot be completed. Contact apple" and then when I try to contact Apple their website just goes "oops, something went wrong" and won't put me through. I tried logging in and out of the itunes/app store, verifying my payment method, checking my restrictions etc. I can buy things off the app store but can't do any IAP. Not exactly having a great first impression, literally almost everything I've tried to do has been buggy and broken.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Could this be why I can't make any in-app purchases, you think? I just got a new 6s, and not only did none of my app store purchases transfer over (though I'm using the same Apple ID- no huge loss, I only had a few apps anyhow) I try to make a purchase and it just tells me "this purchase cannot be completed. Contact apple" and then when I try to contact Apple their website just goes "oops, something went wrong" and won't put me through. I tried logging in and out of the itunes/app store, verifying my payment method, checking my restrictions etc. I can buy things off the app store but can't do any IAP. Not exactly having a great first impression, literally almost everything I've tried to do has been buggy and broken.

1-800-MY-APPLE

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Endless Mike posted:

1-800-MY-APPLE

Thanks, was able to get this ironed out. Adding "@gmail.com" to my credentials somehow created a hosed up splinter account.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

I have an app with no name and no icon in Settings.app, and it showed up after the app store listed an update for a game I haven't had installed for over a year.. some other apps needed update so I hit 'update all.' Then the app crashed and the (null) app got stuck in my Settings screen.

:iiam:

According to Kim Kardashian, her new Kimoji app broke the App Store. Don't know how much truth is in it, but they did remove it for a time today.

It's back up though if you want to pay $1.99 for emojis of her butt.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'd pay at least 5x that for emojis of kanye's butt

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there anything to be done about my 6's seemingly vanished oleophobic coating? As of just a few days ago smudges and streaks are crazy common. The glass is significantly further from frictionless. Honestly considering hopping to a 6s rather than wait for the 7 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sextro posted:

Is there anything to be done about my 6's seemingly vanished oleophobic coating? As of just a few days ago smudges and streaks are crazy common. The glass is significantly further from frictionless. Honestly considering hopping to a 6s rather than wait for the 7 at this point.
Should have used a screen protector.