Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I really hope Poe and Finn end up in a relationship together. On 2nd viewing their interactions were so perfect and done in such a way that it would work well. Plus the rage from the people who got pissed that one of the main characters is black would be delightful.

I don't think this needs to happen, but I really enjoyed their time on film together and anything I didn't like I chalked up to the way something was written as opposed to the actors interacting with each other which was completely delightful coming after Anakin and Amidala during Eps. 1-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Zonekeeper posted:

Plus, that long shot allowed Williams to work his magic - I'd argue that at least 60% of why the Binary Sunset scene works is the music. In TFA I didn't really see any moments where the music was allowed to set the scene, and we didn't get any themes that felt as memorable as a result.

This is my only real gripe about this film. JJ's style of direction just didn't really lend itself to utilizing the score as well as the older films did and that was a bummer

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

fatherboxx posted:

No joke, they released a whole loving comic to explain that

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-special-c-3po-1

you just know these bastards are hard at work drafting riveting tales about the fatass from the new cantina

How about the spy who sat with him, the sheriff that was cut from the movie but still got an action figure, and one of the junk traders from Jakku.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Frankston posted:

Movie owned bones. Is the 3D version any good? Want to see it again so might try 3D this time.

The opening scene where the blaster bolt is stopped in mid-air is amazing. It's right there in your face at some points while still hissing and crackling.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

stinkles1112 posted:

This is my only real gripe about this film. JJ's style of direction just didn't really lend itself to utilizing the score as well as the older films did and that was a bummer

Yeah this kind of makes me sad. I don't remember the music from TFA at all. Which I guess is a result of the short shots and fast pace. The only standout melodies are when they show an OT character and the OT music plays louder for a few seconds.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

This may have been theorized already but my idea about Rey is she had already started training under Luke before Ren wiped them all out, but she survived some how. When Luke goes into exile he uses some sort of Force Amnesia a la the KOTOR canon and dumps her off on Jakku with the map piece nearby. Perhaps the rebellion lore is super prevalent in this timeline, but she really takes a history buff stance on it because she knows these people personally, but can't remember. Her embrace with Leia near the end of the movie looked like old friends reuniting.

I haven't fully formed an idea on Rey's familial relations yet. In one of the books surrounding the PT, Obi had a wife that you aren't introduced to but while he's meditating he thinks about her and how he's being contradictory after scolding Anakin about Padme. I kind of like the theory brought up earlier about her being Obi's granddaughter. Though she may just turn out to be the daughter of rebel fighters that handed her over to Luke.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What happened to Darth Vaders lightsaber because I kind of have the theory that Kylo Ren is using his lightsabers crystal and that's why his lightsaber is kind of hosed up.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

This may have been theorized already but my idea about Rey is she had already started training under Luke before Ren wiped them all out, but she survived some how. When Luke goes into exile he uses some sort of Force Amnesia a la the KOTOR canon and dumps her off on Jakku with the map piece nearby. Perhaps the rebellion lore is super prevalent in this timeline, but she really takes a history buff stance on it because she knows these people personally, but can't remember. Her embrace with Leia near the end of the movie looked like old friends reuniting.

I haven't fully formed an idea on Rey's familial relations yet. In one of the books surrounding the PT, Obi had a wife that you aren't introduced to but while he's meditating he thinks about her and how he's being contradictory after scolding Anakin about Padme. I kind of like the theory brought up earlier about her being Obi's granddaughter. Though she may just turn out to be the daughter of rebel fighters that handed her over to Luke.
The fact R2 powered up when she finally showed up to the Resistance base (after 3PO says he's waiting for Luke to come back) kinda seals it for me that she's Luke's daughter.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jesus Christ.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

“That’s a really exciting part of doing this story,” says Robinson. “I saw a photo of C-3PO with his red arm the other day and I thought ‘Wow, I’m the writer who gets to explain that.’”

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What happened to Darth Vaders lightsaber because I kind of have the theory that Kylo Ren is using his lightsabers crystal and that's why his lightsaber is kind of hosed up.

It went down that shaft along with Vader's "hand" and it's probably best that we assume it was destroyed with the Death Star.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

“That’s a really exciting part of doing this story,” says Robinson. “I saw a photo of C-3PO with his red arm the other day and I thought ‘Wow, I’m the writer who gets to explain that.’”

I'd be excited if I got to write the backstory for the little alien who pops out of the sand and looks at BB-8 for three seconds. Getting to add "worked on an official Star Wars story" is probably a nerd writer's wet dream.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

tadashi posted:

It went down that shaft along with Vader's "hand" and it's probably best that we assume it was destroyed with the Death Star.

They found Luke's lightsaber from it falling into the Bespin atmosphere so it's not that out there for Vader's to be recovered but destroyed some what.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They found Luke's lightsaber from it falling into the Bespin atmosphere so it's not that out there for Vader's to be recovered but destroyed some what.

Yeah but Bespin didn't explode after it swallowed the lightsaber. Explosions tend to leave a lot of broken bits behind.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Just some of my random thoughts on TFW

Leia and the rest of the Rebellion really sucked at building a new political system because it seems to me they build a political system where all the planets are semi-independent like in the prequels and can wage war on each other but the overall Republic won't intervene without a full Senate vote. Which would explain why would got a Resistance that doesn't seem to be well armed and is fighting a semi-cold war against the First Order on behalf of the Republic.

Finn has a little too much Anakin in him for my taste. He was a tad whinny at times and just rubbed me as Anakin but better written

Rey is meant to be a Skywalker maybe not Luke's daughter but a cousin maybe, who said Anakin didn't have a brother or sister. Or maybe she's Luke's kid and he's just a really horrible Father.

Also Han went out in the worst loving way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah but Bespin didn't explode after it swallowed the lightsaber. Explosions tend to leave a lot of broken bits behind.

That would be why the crystal is cracked. The crystals from what I understand can be detected using the force.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tadashi posted:

I don't think this needs to happen, but I really enjoyed their time on film together and anything I didn't like I chalked up to the way something was written as opposed to the actors interacting with each other which was completely delightful coming after Anakin and Amidala during Eps. 1-3.

I hope none of the three main new characters end up linked romantically. I have no problem with them having on screen romances outside of that circle, but I don't want a copy of the Han-Luke-Leia dynamic. I just want them all to be pals.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

sbaldrick posted:

Rey is meant to be a Skywalker maybe not Luke's daughter but a cousin maybe, who said Anakin didn't have a brother or sister.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

Merits of having this stuff explained in the film or not, Slashfilm has a pretty comprehensive article on questions raised by TFA that we have answers to in the new larger canon:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-questions

Thanks for posting this. It fills in a lot of what I thought of as "plot holes" with useful background information and very credible speculation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

during the end credits they change the name of the movie to The Force Awoke. kind of clever i guess

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm going to jump feet first into the "Loved TFA unconditionally, thought it was everything I could ever expect and then more" camp. The movie was spectactular and while I have some mild gripes about it, they don't detract from the experience. I've never been so enthralled by a movie before, and while my ridiculous levels of fanboy certainly helped with that, they certainly weren't the only factor.

I really loved Finn's early characterization as someone who has this idealized version of being "the good guy". It was so perfect when he grabbed Rey's hand and she was like "dude wtf stop that".

I'm a little confused by the whole Republic/Resistance/First Order relationship. My personal theory is that when the rebels defeated the empire, they didn't have the resources to take the entirety of the universe, and so eventually negotiated peace with the remnants of the empire so that they could rest and go to work being the good guys. The Resistance is the people who still lived in the empire who still didn't like the status quo and rose up. This is basically all based on ginger hitler's mention that the republic has been "financing and supporting" the resistance, implying that there's sorta a proxy war being waged there. I haven't had my second watch yet (or third or fourth :shepspends: ), I'll have to see if that works as well as I think it does.

As for the accusations that TFA is just ANH-but-shinier - I really felt like this movie was partly written around JJ Abrams saying "I want to get back to what everyone knows star wars should be". It was just close enough to evoke the warm fuzzies of the original trilogy, but it remained distinct enough to stand on its own. The fanservice was acceptable, I think I only really cringed at it once - I hate the movie/TV trope of referencing offscreen history to cement a relationship (SHIELD :argh:)

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah wait, what? That's a good point now that you mention it. How the gently caress did they get Luke's blue lightsaber!? Unless its a new one he made after ROTJ ...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Triggs posted:

Yeah wait, what? That's a good point now that you mention it. How the gently caress did they get Luke's blue lightsaber!? Unless its a new one he made after ROTJ ...

Destiny!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Arglebargle III posted:

Except ANH is a classic Hero's Journey (kinda the classic Hero's Journy in American cinema) so how could they not overlap? How can you tell what's a reference to A New Hope and what's "just" the Hero's Journey? Badguy in black mask and weird voice bursts into the first scene and kills everybody looking for a secret? Secret plan hidden in a droid? Young hero is specifically a tinkerer from a desert planet with a mysterious past? S/He finds the droid? Tie fighter chase literally in the same set? Cantina scene? Maybe a thermal exhaust port oscillator and a giant spherical planet of death with a laser superweapon? It blows up a planet? Scene with pilots in the ready room discussing their attack? There's a countdown to it blowing up the planet our friends live on? Trench run? No?

The thing that it feels like you're purposely not saying is that almost every one of those they take that key piece where you go "oh like from ANH" and does something a bit different from it. Also they pull poo poo from ESB and ROTJ.

Bayguy in black mask ends up getting angry and killing.. computer equipment. He also has pretty big issues that make him dramatically different from Vader.

Secret plans in the droid.. aren't stolen from the empire and aren't for the new death star, they're for finding Luke.

I'd argue your young hero line doesn't even really fit luke, as he is living with relatives and they sort of just lie about his dad. Compared to living on own and able to handle a melee fight and almost nothing about family.

Tie fighter chasing falcon.. except on planet, involves actual maneuvering and only one turret. ANH chase scene is in space. Also could you have tie's fight the falcon without you calling this one? Hey the X-Wings fight Tie Fighters!

Cantina scene.. only the same in that it is a cantina. Different planet, and basically everything that happens there is different apart from "cantina with aliens in it".

Death star weakness.. is actually well defended, and takes efforts from all the main characters to actually destroy.

Death star blows up a planet.. no 5 planets, from across the galaxy. Which happen to contain the new republic's senate.

Ready room scene has a bunch of tongue in cheek jokes and doesn't linger, and vital information forming their plan comes from finn (it is a lie). Where else would they plan their attack besides the briefing room?

Countdown to firing.. cmon now. Basic movie tension device.

Trench run isn't actually a thing, there is a nostalgia trench that he uses at the end to get in, the rest of the time they're just shooting poo poo at it. Compare to ANH, where the trench run is long, the main attack, and everything else is a distraction/clearing way for that. In TFA it is a crazy last ditch plan.

There are more things you didn't list, and the same poo poo holds true for most of them. So they use a bunch of callbacks in different ways or ways that subvert what you're expecting based on the old films (Kylo Ren). Maybe they used too many, maybe you didn't like them twisting how those went. A lot of them are really small and don't actually impact the scene (cantina). The hero's journey bits are the ones that are staying the same, the over-arching plot lines of how the story is going. The hero's journey line is what makes the story and the tension flow the way it does, and one thing that makes this movie feel a lot more like star wars than the prequels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd make sense he recoverd Vader's helmet from Endor along with the ashes where he was burned. So him seeking out his lightsaber is also possible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triggs posted:

Asked and answered in the movie: "its a long story."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Lupita Nyong'o's script said <ADD REASON HERE ABRAMS YOU rear end in a top hat> when she was recording her lines so she just winged it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ChickenWing posted:

I'm a little confused by the whole Republic/Resistance/First Order relationship. My personal theory is that when the rebels defeated the empire, they didn't have the resources to take the entirety of the universe, and so eventually negotiated peace with the remnants of the empire so that they could rest and go to work being the good guys. The Resistance is the people who still lived in the empire who still didn't like the status quo and rose up. This is basically all based on ginger hitler's mention that the republic has been "financing and supporting" the resistance, implying that there's sorta a proxy war being waged there. I haven't had my second watch yet (or third or fourth :shepspends: ), I'll have to see if that works as well as I think it does.

That's pretty much how it's supposed to go, yeah. They don't go into much detail about it in the movie, but some outside material indicates thsy the New Republic isn't actually financing the Resistance, that the First Order just thinks/says it is to have a reason to antagonize the New Republic, which seems really weird to me, but there ya go.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I cracked up at this and then I started wondering if I would've enjoyed this movie anywhere near as much if I hadn't gone into the cinema with the lowest possible expectations :v:

Are any audiences still reacting loudly to the big moments this long after release? When I saw it at midnight on Wednesday people lost their poo poo cheering when Luke pulled down his hood and a couple people straight up screamed when Han died. Not a peep from anyone the whole time when I saw it again yesterday though. Maybe the boxing day crowd will be more animated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Leia specifically started the Rebellion to keep an eye on the First Order ,but the New Republic and First Order are in basically a non aggression treat when the film starts.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I don't know if this is real or not

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I have a lot of thoughts and feelings after seeing this, but one of the biggest things I can take away from the film is just how immature the faction of the Empire is.

They're all young. There weren't any older, seasoned officers on Star Destroyers. Hux looks like he's around 30 or so. I'd guesstimate most of his fellow officers are around the same, but not much older. All the troopers are likely about Finn's age - young, plucked from their homeworlds, and conscripted into service after years of schooling and training.

The only authority figure with some level of seniority is Snoke, who only appears as a giant hologram to a select few underlings. Hux and Kylo Ren are literally petty whining children who run to Snoke to ask for permission or help. They stand in front of an enormous projection of their leader, looking upwards for approval. Snoke seems confident, but also like a frustrated parent.

The First Order isn't incompetent - they're just kids. They have shiny new playthings and uniforms, and are quick to be aggressive and brutal, to hide any weaknesses or self-doubt. Kind of like a bully. Kylo Ren throws tantrums instead of actually disciplining anyone. Had Ren actually done something to correct Finn's behavior when he picked up on Finn's self-doubt, the movie would've ended right there.

By contrast, the Resistance faction of the Republic is run by older, graying folks who've managed to recruit a handful of younger people. The younger folks are energetic and passionate about their cause, while Leia Organa doesn't seem to have the energy to emote with her face (I'm teasing, of course). Ackbar, the guy who looks like Dodonna, and Miles from LOST all just sit back and hope for another miracle.

---

I was fairly underwhelmed by the soundtrack. Maybe a second viewing will let me pick up on things, but outside of a few familiar themes for the original cast, I didn't pick up on a thing.

---

The opening of the Star Destroyer blocking the planet surface was a masterful piece of imagery.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Were we supposed to have any idea who the old guy Poe got the map from was? Like, the opening crawl lists him as "an old ally" and his dialogue makes him sound like s big deal, but after he dies he never comes up again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'll never get the love/hate relationship nerds have with references. In this thread alone there are people saying the movie was lazy because of things that mirrored ANH, and people getting defensive and saying those ANH similarities don't exist. They do exist, and they made the story feel more familiar to us. I don't expect 8 and 9 to have so many similarities now that they've established that they can do right by Star Wars fans.

I'll also never get the internet opinion of, "I noticed a thing while watching a show/movie, therefore it is bad." For example, yeah, there's a new Death Star-like weapon. Why wouldn't the bad guys try to build another planet destroying weapon? Is this a Saturday morning cartoon show where if the villain's evil plot doesn't work out because of dumb luck, they don't try it again? This was also way more successful than any super weapon so far. The Death Star only blew up Alderaan, a planet with almost no significance to the Empire. The Death Star II blew up two capital ships. The Starkiller blew up half a dozen planets central to the New Republic.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Red posted:

I was fairly underwhelmed by the soundtrack. Maybe a second viewing will let me pick up on things, but outside of a few familiar themes for the original cast, I didn't pick up on a thing.

I've been listening to it a bit lately on its own and it's actually really good.

I really specifically like Rey's theme

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

dmboogie posted:

Were we supposed to have any idea who the old guy Poe got the map from was? Like, the opening crawl lists him as "an old ally" and his dialogue makes him sound like s big deal, but after he dies he never comes up again.

Odds are, he was being established for Rogue One.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

dmboogie posted:

There are a lot of theories that he was sent to Jakku to keep an eye on Rey much like Obi-Wan was sent to Tatooine to keep an eye on Luke.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Red posted:

So I have a lot of thoughts and feelings after seeing this, but one of the biggest things I can take away from the film is just how immature the faction of the Empire is.

They're all young. There weren't any older, seasoned officers on Star Destroyers. Hux looks like he's around 30 or so. I'd guesstimate most of his fellow officers are around the same, but not much older. All the troopers are likely about Finn's age - young, plucked from their homeworlds, and conscripted into service after years of schooling and training.

The only authority figure with some level of seniority is Snoke, who only appears as a giant hologram to a select few underlings. Hux and Kylo Ren are literally petty whining children who run to Snoke to ask for permission or help. They stand in front of an enormous projection of their leader, looking upwards for approval. Snoke seems confident, but also like a frustrated parent.

The First Order isn't incompetent - they're just kids. They have shiny new playthings and uniforms, and are quick to be aggressive and brutal, to hide any weaknesses or self-doubt. Kind of like a bully. Kylo Ren throws tantrums instead of actually disciplining anyone. Had Ren actually done something to correct Finn's behavior when he picked up on Finn's self-doubt, the movie would've ended right there.

By contrast, the Resistance faction of the Republic is run by older, graying folks who've managed to recruit a handful of younger people. The younger folks are energetic and passionate about their cause, while Leia Organa doesn't seem to have the energy to emote with her face (I'm teasing, of course). Ackbar, the guy who looks like Dodonna, and Miles from LOST all just sit back and hope for another miracle.

Kylo Ren not killing everyone that fails him could be out of necessity, like you said, everyone seems very young throughout the ranks, so not as expandable(compared to some computer bank or a torture chair).

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

dmboogie posted:

Watch Rogue One to find out more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Viller posted:

Kylo Ren not killing everyone that fails him could be out of necessity, like you said, everyone seems very young throughout the ranks, so not as expandable(compared to some computer bank or a torture chair).

True, but Ren could have just confronted him, and ordered him to get back to work. Instead, they stared at each other before Ren moved on. Ren has no real ability to lead.

• Locked thread