Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

McGavin posted:

Mobilicity and Wind phones use different frequencies from any of the other carriers, so their customers can't use Rogers' main network to begin with. I had to get a new phone to switch to Koodo.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I guess it's not Rogers being malicious, like I'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

McGavin posted:

Mobilicity and Wind phones use different frequencies from any of the other carriers, so their customers can't use Rogers' main network to begin with. I had to get a new phone to switch to Koodo.

Yeah, this is what I meant. I'm not absolutely certain what Rogers will do to improve Mobi's service on the AWS spectrum - frankly if I were them I'd just leave it be and start leveraging phone selection to transition people onto Rogers/Fido frequencies over the next few years rather than basically duplicate a forest of cell towers for the sake of backward compatibility and service equity.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. I guess it's not Rogers being malicious, like I'd expect.

In Rogers' defense they've recently had to diversify into bringing malice to sports teams, sports broadcasting and all sorts of new avenues. They don't have the breadth of personnel to harm each of their division's customers all at once.

As soon as Shaw has finished gobbling up Wind though, I'm absolutely certain they are going to transfer over some ghoulish VP to raze a market no longer burdened with competition. They'll rename Mobilcity to Rogers Wireless Jr. and only let you call and text 647 and 437 numbers and cut data rates down to 3kpbs during school hours.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So from what I understand Shaw can't just pump a bunch of money into Wind and turn it into the Big 4?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Reverse Centaur posted:

So from what I understand Shaw can't just pump a bunch of money into Wind and turn it into the Big 4?

Could Shaw invest a ton of money into Wind to build a network that can compete on quality with the big 3 and Videotron? Probably, within the limits imposed by the spectrum Wind has (since Shaw sold the spectrum they bought at the last auction, IIRC, or at least traded it in some typically baroque business deal). I'm pretty sure they have that kind of money.

Will they? Not without raising prices I expect, and it'll take a while even if they do.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Shaw pretty much desperately wants mobile services to add as a bundle piece to the rest of their lineup. Cable is slowly going dead and even they've realised it.

They'll be pumping that poo poo pretty hard, question is solely how hard they'll gently caress grandfathered wind customers and newcomers to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

In Rogers' defense they've recently had to diversify into bringing malice to sports teams, sports broadcasting and all sorts of new avenues. They don't have the breadth of personnel to harm each of their division's customers all at once.

As soon as Shaw has finished gobbling up Wind though, I'm absolutely certain they are going to transfer over some ghoulish VP to raze a market no longer burdened with competition. They'll rename Mobilcity to Rogers Wireless Jr. and only let you call and text 647 and 437 numbers and cut data rates down to 3kpbs during school hours.

Don't forget banking, the First Evil.

Playstation 4 posted:

Shaw pretty much desperately wants mobile services to add as a bundle piece to the rest of their lineup. Cable is slowly going dead and even they've realised it.

They'll be pumping that poo poo pretty hard, question is solely how hard they'll gently caress grandfathered wind customers and newcomers to do it.

Even in Canada, with our terrible access to things online?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aphrodite posted:

Even in Canada, with our terrible access to things online?

They call me 3-4 times a month trying to get me to take cable back for $10/month. Twice over the last two years they gave me cable for six months for $0.90/month.

Yeah I'd say they're getting desperate.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
They even noted it in the acquisition PR, they want the quad-play bundle bullshit badly. The only thing Wind had going for it was the value, the network itself is awful unless you live in a totally flat area with few buildings. Maybe once they deploy on that new spectrum things will improve but then I'm sure Shaw just try to milk people and ruin it.

Oh well I went to Koodo awhile ago and its been fantastic. Wind let me save a bunch of money over the years though so no regrets.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's funny because the executives at Shaw had themselves convinced that mobile was going to die and their Go Wi-fi was going to be a quality replacement

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

McGavin posted:

I'm on Mobilicity/got switched onto Rogers. I'm getting 3G/HSPA+ on my Galaxy Nexus. Pretty sure that phone still supports Rogers' 3G bands from what I checked.

My Network says CAN Rogers Wireless Inc. and said CDN Roaming for a while during the transition (but not actual Roaming roaming). Is that different from being on their main network?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You might just need a new sim card to really use the Rogers network.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Sober posted:

I'm on Mobilicity/got switched onto Rogers. I'm getting 3G/HSPA+ on my Galaxy Nexus. Pretty sure that phone still supports Rogers' 3G bands from what I checked.

My Network says CAN Rogers Wireless Inc. and said CDN Roaming for a while during the transition (but not actual Roaming roaming). Is that different from being on their main network?

Sounds like you are on Rogers HSPA+ network. Galaxy Nexus is a pentaband phone, so it supports it, but iirc it isn't LTE capable. I don't know if Mobility customers would have access to Rogers LTE network, but I'm thinking not?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WienerDog posted:

I don't know if Mobility customers would have access to Rogers LTE network, but I'm thinking not?

Definitely not.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

DariusLikewise posted:

It's funny because the executives at Shaw had themselves convinced that mobile was going to die and their Go Wi-fi was going to be a quality replacement

You're pretty naive if you think this. Shaw knew exactly what they were doing. You think a multi billion dollar corporation is honestly thinking that their 802.11n access points is a replacement for city wide LTE? They just didn't want to go through all the growing pains of a new company, easier and cheaper to let someone else deal with that and then swoop in later to dump more money into expansion.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nitr0 posted:

You're pretty naive if you think this. Shaw knew exactly what they were doing. You think a multi billion dollar corporation is honestly thinking that their 802.11n access points is a replacement for city wide LTE? They just didn't want to go through all the growing pains of a new company, easier and cheaper to let someone else deal with that and then swoop in later to dump more money into expansion.

I'm not saying this is or isn't true, but executives at other multi billion dollar corporations have been hilariously incompetent and I don't think it would be surprising if this were the case.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Evis posted:

I'm not saying this is or isn't true, but executives at other multi billion dollar corporations have been hilariously incompetent and I don't think it would be surprising if this were the case.

Agreed. Let's not forget: it was received wisdom through much of the 2000s by a less enlightened subset of the tech commentariat that it was simply a matter of time before widespread WiFi utterly obviated cellular. It would hardly be shocking if such a notion had managed to lodge itself in the yes-man C-suite of one of our coddled telecoms.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If Shaw knows what they're doing then why did they buy AWS spectrum in 2008 for $190 million, sell it to Rogers in 2013 for $700 million, and then buy Wind's AWS spectrum in 2015 for $1.6 billion? Net gain: negative a billion dollars.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McGavin posted:

If Shaw knows what they're doing then why did they buy AWS spectrum in 2008 for $190 million, sell it to Rogers in 2013 for $700 million, and then buy Wind's AWS spectrum in 2015 for $1.6 billion? Net gain: negative a billion dollars.

They're buying Wind's network and customers too, it's far from just the spectrum. Whether that's worth a cool billion is another question.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, I mean, WIND was less attractive as an acquisition target even just not that long ago, and only owning spectrum would have been difficult to roll out everything you need to start a mobile provider - this gets them the kickstart in terms of having a ready to go business.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I understand paying a premium for Wind's infrastructure and customers, but Shaw would have benefitted more by keeping its spectrum than by selling it to a direct competitor if it had a plan to buy one of the AWS carriers in the future. It's pretty obvious that Shaw either didn't have a plan or failed to execute on it fairly spectacularly.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Shaw also more then likely wants to move into the rich Ontario and Quebec markets more heavily and Wind at least gives them a bit of a foothold.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Brad Shaw told shareholders and media last year that they were focusing on wifi over cell as he truly believed that was the future. In 2008 Shaw has spectrum and declined build up a wireless network they pegged at 2 billion. They also passed on making a move for Public Mobile which sold for an undisclosed amount (sub 400-million) and Mobilicity which sold to Rogers for 465-million. They also declined to make any bids for 700mhz spectrum which probably would of come at a minimum as they could of still made a play as a new entrant.

Instead they buy Wind which operates in 3 cities for 1.6 billion and paid a pretty big premium for the existing customer base. Now they will probably need to spend twice what it would of cost to build a nationwide network now then it would of in 2008.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also Shaw pretty much shot themselves in the foot by selling spectrum to Rogers. In total Rogers spent ~1.1 billion to get equivalent infrastructure and customers, but with roughly twice the AWS spectrum. The end result is that Shaw paid a half-billion premium to be in a worse position than Rogers is now.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I wonder if Shaw's execs saw some market change on the horizon, like an understanding for secret permission of a merger of two of the big three, that forced them to overpay for a garbage carrier with a bad reputation and a customer base that is choc full of fee-avoiders and RFD-types.

Them overspending like Wind was the last Cabbage Patch doll makes me conspiratorial. What noise has Trudeau made about cellphones and foreign ownership?

Could this all be Shaw putting on a nice orange dress so It can be first to be bought out by a US giant in 7 years time?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

McGavin posted:

Also Shaw pretty much shot themselves in the foot by selling spectrum to Rogers. In total Rogers spent ~1.1 billion to get equivalent infrastructure and customers, but with roughly twice the AWS spectrum. The end result is that Shaw paid a half-billion premium to be in a worse position than Rogers is now.

The funny part about that is 16 of the 18 licenses Shaw just sold Rogers turned around and sold to Wind for a $1 a piece(along with some of the mobilicity licenses).

http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKBN0P41VH20150624

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Hey thread - reporting in on my visit from SoCal to the GTA on my US TMo 6S+... I get better LTE roaming on Telus here than I do on TMo back home. This free Canada/Mexico voice+data roaming is loving amazing.

e: I had Verizon previously, so trips up to Canada usually resulted in a $200 surprise at the end of the month.

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
So my old phone is getting paid off during Boxing Week, and the battery is starting to go to poo poo on it. I'm currently with Rogers on a Share Everything plan with my partner and his phone won't be paid off until October 2016. Should I get a new phone now, or try to prolong it another 10 months and shop for phones/carriers then?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

krooj posted:

Hey thread - reporting in on my visit from SoCal to the GTA on my US TMo 6S+... I get better LTE roaming on Telus here than I do on TMo back home. This free Canada/Mexico voice+data roaming is loving amazing.

e: I had Verizon previously, so trips up to Canada usually resulted in a $200 surprise at the end of the month.

I recently moved Toronto to SoCal. Goodbye $80 lovely Fido plan with limited data and voice and no roaming, hello TMobile unlimited everything everywhere for $50 plan. Canada is getting royally shafted by its carriers.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My sister has just bought herself a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to use on Bell. The phone has the HSPA support but can only use Bell's LTE band 7. How will this affect normal use?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My iPhone 5 camera died and it feels like time to pick up a cheap new phone. I assume these "get an iPhone 5s for $0 on a 2 year plan" means that I have to switch to a new (probably terrible) set plan from whatever I have now? I have this crazy ancient 6 gigs for $60 plan on Rogers that I feel like I'd be foolish to give up. I've had a look comparing plans and even when I go down to a 3 gig plan it's still more expensive than what I have now. It's bad because the reception of Rogers once one leaves Vancouver is pretty terrible and I'd like to switch to something better. For example had no reception when I was in Tofino recently.

If I want to keep my current plan is my only option to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s or 5c on craigslist?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Unlocked iPhones are sold in Apple retail stores.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Femtosecond posted:

My iPhone 5 camera died and it feels like time to pick up a cheap new phone. I assume these "get an iPhone 5s for $0 on a 2 year plan" means that I have to switch to a new (probably terrible) set plan from whatever I have now? I have this crazy ancient 6 gigs for $60 plan on Rogers that I feel like I'd be foolish to give up. I've had a look comparing plans and even when I go down to a 3 gig plan it's still more expensive than what I have now. It's bad because the reception of Rogers once one leaves Vancouver is pretty terrible and I'd like to switch to something better. For example had no reception when I was in Tofino recently.

If I want to keep my current plan is my only option to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s or 5c on craigslist?

I'm in the same boat with Rogers on that same plan. NEVER GIVE THIS UP. So yes, buy an unlocked phone from somewhere. Expansys has unlocked 5Cs for ~$220 and 5S for ~$320. "B-stock" which means open box/demo/photo unit but probably better than buying from some weirdo on Craigslist/Kijiji.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

Unlocked iPhones are sold in Apple retail stores.

Wow a new 5s is $599. I guess that seems about right but still feels oh so expensive. Too bad they don't seem to sell refurbished phones and the 5c is discontinued.

Edit: Whoa never heard of Expansys before. Are these new phones? The going price for a used 5s on craigslist is around $300 so this is a pretty good deal!

Edit 2: Ah they're returns or "open box item." That still seems better than used random craigslist phone or am I missing something?

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 31, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Femtosecond posted:

Wow a new 5s is $599. I guess that seems about right but still feels oh so expensive. Too bad they don't seem to sell refurbished phones and the 5c is discontinued.

The thing to remember with Apple stuff is you'll get half the purchase price back selling your old phone a couple years down the road. So it's essentially $599 upfront with $300 back in two years. It's not like any other electronics purchase where the moment you walk out the door the resale value drops 90%.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well if a used 5S is going for $300ish now, buying a new one for $599 doesn't seem like a great idea if you want to sell it in 2 years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Buying an open box phone from a vendor is probably safer than some rando on Craigslist. Still no warranty though I assume.

I only ever sell things on Craigslist, never use that to buy things.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I sold my iPhone 5 on Craigslist, girl met me at a big mall at her carrier's store. I wiped the phone prior to meeting, they popped in her SIM to show the phone was carrier unlocked and not activation locked, then she gave me the money, end of transaction. It was a very smart and convenient way to do it on her part, I would have just done the same thing (put in her SIM) in my condo lobby if she hadn't wanted to meet at the carrier's store.

Nothing wrong with buying used on Craigslist or Kijiji just don't be an idiot about it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
How much can I get for my 3GS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

How much can I get for my 3GS?

Maybe the cost of the bus ticket to meet the seller.