Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I had no idea. Thanks a lot. Ordered one right away.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thanks to Blondii and Reach for the brief instance runnlast night. Things are so different from when I last played years ago! That was a very enjoyable little chunk of the Great Barrow, not the multi-hour commitment it used to be.

It's inspired me to start learning how to tank on my Warden, even at level 24, because I love group content and being a tank. I need to really sit down and figure out my gambits and masteries tonight.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The Bramble posted:

It's inspired me to start learning how to tank on my Warden, even at level 24, because I love group content and being a tank. I need to really sit down and figure out my gambits and masteries tonight.

There's a great chart floating around somewhere that helps with gambits. If I remember right, there was a plugin for the game as well that pops up all your options after you use one of the skills. Wardens are one of the most complicated classes in any MMO I've played

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ruffz posted:

There's a great chart floating around somewhere that helps with gambits. If I remember right, there was a plugin for the game as well that pops up all your options after you use one of the skills. Wardens are one of the most complicated classes in any MMO I've played

What's a gambit?

I feel like there's so much poo poo I just don't know about this game.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gambits are the skills you can use once you use enough of your base skills.

The three base skills for warden are spear, shield, and fist. These are your gambit builders, and using them places icons in your gambit bar.

A simple gambit is The Boot, a basic interrupt, which requires two icons. To use it, I first use spear then shield, which lets me use the gambit. Gambits require two to five icons in your gambit bar.

If I did the reverse order, shield then spear, I get a different gambit called Persevere, which is a healing gambit.

On top of this, some gambits can be chained to improve their effects.

As you can imagine, some players might find this all a bit overwhelming.

Edit: and I haven't even gotten into building gambits with masteries, which is something you have to get good at if you want to play a warden really well.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Re: Wardens. I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/lotro/chart/0.68/warden_gambit_chart.pdf

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's not at all unlike combos in a proper fighting game like Soul Calibur or Tekken. Seeing as I'm awful at those sort of games I kinda dropped my warden (also I regretted making him an elf.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When I played my Warden it was kinda fun after I had the hang of it (also the combo masteries) but then I stopped playing it for a month and when I tried to go back to it it was a cliff or relearning the class. Meanwhile I can hop on my Captain after being gone for months and remember how to play it effectively in no time.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
It's good to be making music in the mines again.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Good runs with goons. Killed a giant fuckoff turtle. Killed a giant tentacle monster. Killed like a thousand orcs. It's good thing they're not people!

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
While not there physically....I'm there in spirit. (from the very expensive spa hotel room I am treating myself to for the night...) It's great to see goons getting online again.

I'll be back home next week for the entire week, so I will have lots of time to play if anyone gets something going. Just message me on steam or set an announcement on the group (if you've got admin rights).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So I'm done with Book 2 except for the epilogue stuff that's scattered all over the place. I'm barely level 63. Is going to Isengard madness, that's why I can't get the next book of the epic questline?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 22, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Holy poo poo they're still updating this dead game??

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer

quote:

Hello all!

2015 was a great year for LOTRO, and we hope you agree! We had many large beats to cover this year as we built out more of Gondor including the two great cities of Osgiliath and Minas Tirith. Additionally we took on major service upgrades including building a brand new store and consolidating our servers to a core ten worlds which are buzzing with activity these days.

Unfortunately we also missed a beat this year with our plans to move into a brand new Datacenter. We wanted to have this new center launch by the end of this year, and while all of the hardware is up and ready to go. However, this upgrade in hardware also came with an upgrade in operating system from 32-bit to 64-bit. When we started load testing the new hardware, we learned that our chat system does not function properly on the new OS. As a result we have to architect a new solution for chat which will delay us into 2016. Updates to come as we work through the problem.

Our story continues in 2016 with Riding with the Rohirrim to the Battle of Pelennor Fields and then taking the battle to the enemy as we push towards the Black Gates! It is going to be an exciting year to be sure.

Major 2016 Initiatives:

Level Cap increase to 105: Build on your heroism and power with 5 more levels of character advancement. Your Imbued Legendary Items will not need to be replaced, but will continue to grow and level with you.

New Fellowship Challenges: The Battle of Pelennor Fields will contain a new instance cluster as well as a long awaited 12-man raid!

New Collections: We will be adding UI elements to help you see and catalogue many of the items you can already find in game. Our first collection system will be around emotes. Ever wondered what emotes are available to you, what they look like or where you can get them? Now you will know!

Quality of Life: Much like last year, we will continue to make quarterly patches that focus on bug fixing and general improvements to Quality of Life.

Thank you for your continued commitment to this team and to our game. We look forward to seeing you in Middle-Earth as LOTRO enters its 9th year!

Athena “Vvyvanne” Peters

Executive Producer- Lord of the Rings Online

I'm tentatively excited.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
LOTRO is one of the least dead games. Sure, it lives in this mega-bizarre space where it's part MMO, part social game without being necessarily satisfying to the average player of either genre, but is probably light years ahead of its time in its development of the world instead of the more repetitive game loops. It amazes me that the game does so well without being raiding intensive and having such useless, boring daily rewards. I wonder if they plan to add monthly events or pokemon like WOW did, something to get those hooks in.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I should probably work on imbuing a weapon, but it seems so complicated, that I know I'm not going to start to min-max the whole thing. If i just wing it, will it fail completely? Or will it at least turn out better than the current 2nd age bow I'm wielding?

Oxphocker posted:

While not there physically....I'm there in spirit. (from the very expensive spa hotel room I am treating myself to for the night...) It's great to see goons getting online again.

I'll be back home next week for the entire week, so I will have lots of time to play if anyone gets something going. Just message me on steam or set an announcement on the group (if you've got admin rights).

I think the thing that only you can do as leader is set the house decorating permissions. Who exactly has the right to decorate? Only officers or can the lower rank do so as well?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Re: Wardens. I'm just gonna leave this right here...

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/lotro/chart/0.68/warden_gambit_chart.pdf

Thanks for posting that! It's actually super helpful. And as complicated as it looks, its worth mentioning that depending on your role (dps, tank) you really only need to memorize a handful of moves to be effective.

I just have this distinct memory of the last time I played seriously, back when Mirkwood was new right after Moria, and grouping with a Warden in a 3man instance. I remember not really "getting" what they were supposed to be, and having really low expectations. This dude proceeded to handily tank the whole instance (I'd only ever had guard tanks before) while keeping himself totally healed (I was a minstrel) and easily keeping aggro over my buddy playing a hunter, who I knew was going all out.

Since then I've played with plenty of bad wardens too, so I get that this class totally depends on skill level. I want to be a good one!

Of course after a 3 weeks of playing I'm only level 24 and just halfway through Bree-land, so I have a ways to go. Can't recommend the take-it-slow approach to leveling and experiencing content enough though, finding all kinds of surprising and new things while having a pleasant time as I do it.

As an aside, does anyone have a stash of yew and/or lebethron wood I could have, or buy? Trying to keep my woodworking at-pace with my level and not a lot of people sell low-level crafting resources at reasonable prices for newbies. My character name is Puckles.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Before I rolled my Guardian (Drachenfutter, a name I still haven't bothered to google to find out what it means) I rolled a Warden. In the first quest-line you are asked to perform a Defensive gambit, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, couldn't, felt horrible and decided that Wardens were not for me. I literally could not complete the first class quest.

That chart is pretty nifty though, not that it makes me want to roll a Warden (I still feel too ashamed to even look at my Warden on the login screen) but at how something so deceptively simple, such as chaining together three skills, can result in a system of complexity and variety. Pretty sly, Turbine.

I also rolled a Captain, along with an assortment of other characters, and spent all day yesterday playing my Capt. for a change of pace and found it to be pretty fantastic. I have no idea how useful a Captain is in groups, but solo they are fun and appear to me to be self sufficient. I just need to come up with a better name for my Herald than Bentley (to my undying lament I couldn't use Mr. Belvedere. Who wouldn't want a dude following them around everywhere named Mr. Belvedere?)

edited because I'm stupid. Champion ≠ Captain.

Siddhartha Glutamate fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 22, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Titus82 posted:

Before I rolled my Guardian (Drachenfutter, a name I still haven't bothered to google to find out what it means) I rolled a Warden. In the first quest-line you are asked to perform a Defensive gambit, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, couldn't, felt horrible and decided that Wardens were not for me. I literally could not complete the first class quest.

Dragon fodder. Or dragon chow, if you're being casual.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Titus82 posted:

I also rolled a Champion, along with an assortment of other characters, and spent all day yesterday playing my Champ for a change of pace and found it to be pretty fantastic. I have no idea how useful a Champion is in groups, but solo they are fun and appear to me to be self sufficient. I just need to come up with a better name for my Herald than Bentley (to my undying lament I couldn't use Mr. Belvedere. Who wouldn't want a dude following them around everywhere named Mr. Belvedere?)

Did you mean Captain? I'm trying to decide if I want to go Captain or Guardian and it's killing me trying to pick one.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

If you go guardian you can be a dwarf or hobbit (aka the superior races)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

I also rolled a Champion, along with an assortment of other characters, and spent all day yesterday playing my Champ for a change of pace and found it to be pretty fantastic. I have no idea how useful a Champion is in groups, but solo they are fun and appear to me to be self sufficient. I just need to come up with a better name for my Herald than Bentley (to my undying lament I couldn't use Mr. Belvedere. Who wouldn't want a dude following them around everywhere named Mr. Belvedere?)

If you have a herald you played a Captain, not a Champion. Champions are DPS who can sorta tank if specced for it but shine best as a DPS. Not sure how it is now but for a long time Champs were the best single target DPS over a long period of time. Captains are pretty fantastic in groups because they can provide a bunch of buffs and healing. I'm not a fan of tanking as a Captain and their own DPS isn't going to match up to champ/hunter/rk but they can boost a group considerably. I used to heal 3 and 6 man content for goon groups back when we were more active in the RoR and HD expansions though I'm not sure how well Captains can heal 6 man content these days. Either way, they add an extra layer of support to groups that can be very useful.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know what everyone is referring to when they claim I wrote Champion instead of Captain. I would never make such a noob mistake. Not ever.

Thanks for the info though!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I kinda can't believe they're actually going to pour resources into a new instance cluster that includes a 12-man raid. That was a pretty underwhelming producer's letter compared to previous ones. I guess they're planning on going to Mordor after Pelennor Fields, that goes against what they said in the past when they told us they weren't going to Mordor immediately after Gondor.

kodiac
Oct 15, 2006

All i could afford was this gay avatar! Dammit Swiss banking accounts!
Steam winter sale has started if anyone needs to pick up any LOTRO expansions etc, I just purchased Helm's Deep for 10$.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Titus82 posted:

I also rolled a Captain, along with an assortment of other characters, and spent all day yesterday playing my Capt. for a change of pace and found it to be pretty fantastic. I have no idea how useful a Captain is in groups, but solo they are fun and appear to me to be self sufficient. I just need to come up with a better name for my Herald than Bentley (to my undying lament I couldn't use Mr. Belvedere. Who wouldn't want a dude following them around everywhere named Mr. Belvedere?)
lol if you're not being followed by Harold the Herald

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kodiac posted:

Steam winter sale has started if anyone needs to pick up any LOTRO expansions etc, I just purchased Helm's Deep for 10$.

I've been hoping they would do this. Bought both sets of expansions now I've got everything... Makes me want to sub even more for some reason.

Thanks for sharing this, Kodiac.

ArchWizard posted:

lol if you're not being followed by Harold the Herald

:aaaaa:

I dislike emoticons, because I'm a cyber snob who still uses the word cyber despite it no longer being 1999, but this was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. I believe it is the most fitting as well.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am nearly positive that Lone Lands are still free. I think Evendim is a good purchase for 30-40 and you can possibly get it super cheap by getting the Steely Dawn package (it was on sale for $5 on Steam a few weeks ago, and you can buy it for as cheap as $1 on key reseller sites like G2A, depending on how much you trust those sites). If I remember right, the Steely Dawn also came with 500 TP, some boosts, and some cosmetic stuff.

I'm totally interested in getting the Steely Dawn package for a buck, but the only keys they're selling are for Steam. :( I downloaded the game straight from the website, is there any way for me to get all these sweet winter sale deals and cheap packages without being connected to Steam?

This is Eckerton, by the way! NOT a spy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thespis posted:

I'm totally interested in getting the Steely Dawn package for a buck, but the only keys they're selling are for Steam. :( I downloaded the game straight from the website, is there any way for me to get all these sweet winter sale deals and cheap packages without being connected to Steam?

This is Eckerton, by the way! NOT a spy.

Yep, and that's just what I did during the Black Friday sale. Just go to steam and add LOTRO to your library (as a free purchase). You don't have to actually download it in Steam, just add it to your library. Then, you buy whatever you want (I bought all the expansions a few weeks ago). After you buy the 'DLC' (as Steam calls it) you can click 'CD Key' and you will see a different code for everything you purchased. Now close Steam completely (if you want), log into your Turbine account, and add the product keys you got from Steam.

Edit: I should add that I did all of this a few weeks ago (including the G2A key) and it worked fine for me. It might be worth it to test the waters with the one dollar steely dawn pack before buying all the other stuff. I also live in the US, so I don't know if this will work in other countries.

Thespis
Mar 31, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yep, and that's just what I did during the Black Friday sale. Just go to steam and add LOTRO to your library (as a free purchase). You don't have to actually download it in Steam, just add it to your library. Then, you buy whatever you want (I bought all the expansions a few weeks ago). After you buy the 'DLC' (as Steam calls it) you can click 'CD Key' and you will see a different code for everything you purchased. Now close Steam completely (if you want), log into your Turbine account, and add the product keys you got from Steam.

Edit: I should add that I did all of this a few weeks ago (including the G2A key) and it worked fine for me. It might be worth it to test the waters with the one dollar steely dawn pack before buying all the other stuff. I also live in the US, so I don't know if this will work in other countries.

That sounds ideal. I don't really like running things through Steam, I prefer to cut out the middleman and just run the game on its own. Do you know if buy the Quad Pack if I'll get access to Evendim and any other areas that might have been in Quest Packs?

Thank you, hope this works!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thespis posted:

That sounds ideal. I don't really like running things through Steam, I prefer to cut out the middleman and just run the game on its own. Do you know if buy the Quad Pack if I'll get access to Evendim and any other areas that might have been in Quest Packs?

Thank you, hope this works!

The quad pack does not include any of the pre-Moria stuff (it has Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, and Rohan) so it does not include Evendim (the Steely Dawn pack gives you Evendim though).

FYI everything also seems to be for sale on the LOTRO market so you can buy it there if you don't like Steam. They just don't have the Steely Dawn pack.

Also, they have the Samwise Gamgee pack at the market on sale now that might be worth it for some people. For $2.50 you get a horse, riding skill, and removal of the currency cap on all your characters.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also, they have the Samwise Gamgee pack at the market on sale now that might be worth it for some people. For $2.50 you get a horse, riding skill, and removal of the currency cap on all your characters.

Anyone know if this is for all future characters, or just the ones you currently have?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Haerc posted:

Anyone know if this is for all future characters, or just the ones you currently have?

Pretty sure all future characters. I just created a hunter and he got the box with the free horse and riding skill (can't use it yet of course). Didn't double check the currency cap, but I'm pretty sure that's an account thing too.

The extra inventory is a little misleading though. My existing characters who already had 5 or more bags (from being rolled while I was VIP) did not get an extra 15 slots. Any new character I roll gets it though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Steely Dawn is great, if only for Evendim. Getting that easily lets you level up to pretty much 40 and from there you've only got 4 or 5 more levels to cover before Moria.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I tried going to Moria at 46, and I feel like I'm a couple levels too low still :/

Playing a Captain.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I've actually started to use the item that prevents you from getting xp while wearing it - There are just too many quests out there that you end up massively overleveled if you try and do them all

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Haerc posted:

I tried going to Moria at 46, and I feel like I'm a couple levels too low still :/

Playing a Captain.

Complete the Moria epic intro at 45 (it's rough but worth it) and then just level in Eregion until 48, maybe 49. You'll be fine in Moria then. At 46 I'm not sure you can even get all the normal/epic quests at the entrance in Moria. At 48 you should be able to get everything and you'll still skip parts of Moria unless you want to leave the place at level 62-63.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, at 45 I did the intro to get the legendary, then a couple of quests in the first hub area (something like finding some artifacts and killing a spider IIRC), then it sends you onto the next little area and the mobs are 50/51, and were just taking forever to kill.

I was hoping I could jump right in, because I'm sick to death of Angmar. Oh well.

E: You're right about not being able to get the quests, I think I saw a couple of dwarves with the greyed out ring over their head.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Angmar is awful and you should've bailed on it as soon as Eregion's quests were orange/yellow. That zone's significantly better both in layout and quest flow. You can go from probably 44-48 there, maybe 43-48 but you may have to deal with red quests/mobs early on which can be a pain.

Scaling instances may also start dropping gear at 45 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) so realistically what you could do at 45 is run the Moria intro and then, ideally, find people to run some stuff like Great Barrow with (or get a lvl 100 goon to blitz it a couple times) since you'll get XP and some gear that will be purple/teal and have solid stat distribution.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I always did Eregion to 45, get my legendary, then finish Eregion. Moria is doable at 45, but the issue is finishing all the content and being too low for Dunland, which would necessitate doing some lothlorien stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

I always did Eregion to 45, get my legendary, then finish Eregion. Moria is doable at 45, but the issue is finishing all the content and being too low for Dunland, which would necessitate doing some lothlorien stuff

Run some Moria (or scaling) instances and you've cover any level gap. Burning through the Mirkwood epic to make sure you have all the skirmishes and such unlocked would do it too. When I leveled my champion I entered Moria at 48, left it at 60 (which left Foundations of Stone and Flaming Deeps largely untouched on their quests outside of Epics) and basically ran through the loth/mirkwood epic quests and any regular quests I found convenient, and I think I still hit 65 about the time I finished the Mirkwood epic. I went straight to Dunland and skipped Enedwaith then.

Also got myself two of the melee crit rings from Warg Pen at 65 and when I hit 75 they were still better than anything else I could reasonably get, also had some other assorted 65 gear from scaling instances because Dunland's gear options largely suck.

e: Also Dunland in general is just kinda awful. Mirkwood isn't as good as Moria but it's still pretty solid. Dunland just feels bad and if I level another character I'm going to be there as little as possible, hitting the Great River as soon as I can.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 24, 2015