Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

When you consider accessibility/fun to lit cred ratio, Dickens is very good investment despite doorstopper length. Oliver Twist and Tale of Two Cities are pretty short and fun, David Copperfield is pretty basic but good, Bleak House and Great Expectations is what you read if you want to be somewhat cool while reading something that everyone knows about. Wouldn't start with any lesser work than one of these 5. They're pretty much required reading at some point of your life imo

mallamp fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

THE PWNER posted:

To develop an interest cus I'm a poo poo boring uncultured person. Also it's a good pathway into postgrad teaching or applied linguistics (with the relevant minor)

I imagine the average 18 year old starting their English major probably hasn't read many of the classics either.

Literature classes will not make you a more cultured person. You should get a degree in what you already are, not what you want to become. Studying literature will not suddenly make you into anything you are not already. Also, speaking from experience, literature is really not a good foot in the door to Applied Linguistics. Literature uses an entirely different rhetorical and analytic model from Applied Linguistics. It took me literally a year of grad school just to teach myself how to write a paper for Applied Linguistics correctly.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Plus, you can just read books on your own and read critical analysis of books. Figure out what you want to do after college and then get the degree you need for that. I want to teach writing and argument in high school, so I'm getting a rhetoric and writing degree in addition to my teaching cert. Mel is right; that's a terrible reason to major in something unless you're rich and it doesn't matter at all.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Seems like the consensus is on Great Expectations. Thanks!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what if hamlet was going to start a war with the swarthy nordics and claudius prevented it by usurping the throne

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nordics aren't swarthy, they tend to be the opposite. anyway even if that was claudius's plan, it obviously did not work out so well in the end.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Literature classes will not make you a more cultured person. You should get a degree in what you already are, not what you want to become. Studying literature will not suddenly make you into anything you are not already. Also, speaking from experience, literature is really not a good foot in the door to Applied Linguistics. Literature uses an entirely different rhetorical and analytic model from Applied Linguistics. It took me literally a year of grad school just to teach myself how to write a paper for Applied Linguistics correctly.

ok here let me justify my choices on the internet again. I think the internet does a really good job of beating it into your head that You Should Never take An Arts Degree already without people with arts degrees doing the same thing. Anyway.

This is a 3 year degree with 24 subjects total

6 of those will be lit. 2 writing but credit towards the major. This is good because I already have copywriting experience and would like to develop my writing skills further. This qualifies me to teach English in schools in combination with the relevant teaching masters.

6 will be linguistics. That's 2 less than an actual major in linguistics. Still a good enough base to go into applied linguistics if I choose to. I probably won't, since I'll need to finish a masters in something that's more likely to get me a job. This qualifies me to teach ESL and hopefully Spanish in schools, but I'd have to do honours to really get fluent in the later so maybe not.

Of the remaining subjects, 6 are Spanish, 4 will be either history or politics, haven't decided yet, but 4 subjects in either qualifies me to teach them too.

So I've planned things out pretty well and left a bit of room to give me at least 2 options. The reason I chose English as my major and not linguistics is because I'm not sure if I'm cut out for a scientific discipline, so it would be a bad idea to major in one. I also read a lot, to the point that I'm much more likely to enjoy studying lit than anything else, and succeed as a consequence. I just haven't stepped out of my bubble to read works with substance until recently.

Maybe I'll find that I enjoy academia, maybe I'll find that I can handle linguistics and swap my major, maybe I'll go into something completely different like journalism, maybe I'll just stick to the plan. I'm not exactly lacking for options.

But yeah I think this quote:

quote:

You should get a degree in what you already are, not what you want to become.

Is kinda bullshit. Few people starting degrees already have a solidly grounded interest in that field, especially considering most of em are teenagers. I already have an interest in reading and writing, and I'd like to develop that interest. Even if I don't end up using the skills and knowledge I gain in a practical sense, I can at least use the piece of paper to get into something postgrad.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 21, 2015

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If I could re-do my education I'd just study something that makes poo poo ton of money.
Then I'd do jobs I mostly hate and read on spare time. Lit degree will just get me different jobs I mostly hate, and they pay less

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

mallamp posted:

If I could re-do my education I'd just study something that makes poo poo ton of money.
Then I'd do jobs I mostly hate and read on spare time. Lit degree will just get me different jobs I mostly hate, and they pay less

yea I know. I like teaching languages but we don't do undergrad degrees of that nature in my country (aside from Education, which requires calculus-level mathematics skills for entry,) only postgrad. Hence my convoluted pathway towards that goal. In that respect, my major is almost entirely irrelevant so I chose the one that interests me the most/that I have the best chance of succeeding in. If I end up developing a genuine interest in literature as a result, I won't complain.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 21, 2015

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

There's something to be said for not simply treating your degree as a moneymaking job machine and aiming for some personal development. In a lit degree I have to say there won't be mainly learning through teaching, though. It'll mainly be self-motivated through your reading and what you can pick up from other classmates in discussion. I wouldn't say that you don't have the skills to do that because you've been reading the wrong books, though. Read some poetry, like maybe Shakespeare's sonnets (because you'll probably have to have passing familiarity with Shakespeare anyway) or someone like Robert Frost. Poetry's great for getting you to learn how to read all over again, which is what doing literature does.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

mallamp posted:

I tried to do this with a computer science degree but hosed up and also got an English degree. I really cannot imagine working at a job I hate even if it made me a ton of money, I don't think I have the willpower to do that.

If I wanna read Swann's Way should I do the Lydia Davis translation? I'm clueless about translations but heard her Madame Bovary was good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

gently caress that

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

If I wanna read Swann's Way should I do the Lydia Davis translation? I'm clueless about translations but heard her Madame Bovary was good.

I read that you want one translation for the first book and then a different one for the subsequent books. Not sure which is which though. Just Google "Swann's Way best translation" and you'll find a ton of discussion about it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
It seems bad to be like "I can do any bullshit for 40 hours a week. That's not that much. Not even a half of my waking hours"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah I've worked jobs I loved and jobs I hated and no amount of money makes up for a job you hate

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Good jobs don't exist in 2015. Pray for death

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The TBB Detectives and the Case of the Liberal Arts Degree

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I read Sophia by Michael Bible last night in one sitting and I definitely recommend it. It's very short and weirdly compelling. It reads like schizophrenic Pynchon in a trailer park. There is a scene where an alcoholic pederast preacher and a blind bounty hunter play chess using new York City as a board and the homeless as chess pieces for the mother of the second coming of Christ.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is a scene where an alcoholic pederast preacher and a blind bounty hunter play chess using new York City as a board and the homeless as chess pieces for the mother of the second coming of Christ.

im sold. Just ordered it on Amazon

Plus I got a promotional code for an HD copy of Kung Fu Panda. What a combo

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 21, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's written Bublé

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

The TBB Detectives and the Case of the Liberal Arts Degree

Haha

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have a liberal arts degree, specifically in English/Creative Writing, and I was one of the like 5% of people with such a degree to actually end up working in a related field (publishing) and in many ways that was more soul killing than the jobs I've worked in unrelated fields.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ras Het posted:

It seems bad to be like "I can do any bullshit for 40 hours a week. That's not that much. Not even a half of my waking hours"
Are you implying that there are available jobs that aren't bullshit

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mallamp posted:

i am

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mallamp posted:

There's a wide gulf between "this is literal torture to me but I will make good money" and "this is my dream job and every moment I do it is bliss" and basically all jobs fall somewhere on this spectrum. I think the takeaway is, try to find something you enjoy doing that will also pay the rent, even if it isn't something you're super passionate about. Like something as simple as "I like to work outside" can lead you to becoming a landscaper, just don't be like "welp guess I gotta go to fuckin' law school ugh this suuuucckkkksss".

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

But whole concept of jobs is to do bullshit so you can spend some time not doing bullshit while others do their share of bullshit
Like, take teaching for example, I'd love teaching in theory but in practice no one gives about poo poo about things you teach so the theoretical good job turns i to bullshit. If some job was fun people would do it for free (sex)

Edit: of course you don't pick literal opposite of your comfort zone, but lit degree vs. business degree into chill office job isn't that big of a leap

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

But whole concept of jobs is to do bullshit so you can spend some time not doing bullshit while others do their share of bullshit
Like, take teaching for example, I'd love teaching in theory but in practice no one gives about poo poo about things you teach so the theoretical good job turns i to bullshit. If some job was fun people would do it for free (sex)

Edit: of course you don't pick literal opposite of your comfort zone, but lit degree vs. business degree into chill office job isn't that big of a leap

Uh how old are you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

No, that is not the whole concept of jobs actually.

Like if someone's job is being a medic, and what they like to do is to help people by being a medic, how is that "bullshit"?

mallamp posted:

If some job was fun people would do it for free (sex)

Not remotely true. People who do jobs that they find fun still have to pay their rent and buy food to eat, and thus want to be paid at their jobs so that they can, you know, survive.

Not trying to be a dick but are you literally a teenager or something?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 21, 2015

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

Uh how old are you
14 but mom said I can post here if I don't tell my real name

If you're passionate about being medic then you're imaginary alpha male and I feel like saying gently caress you I don't believe you exist and have fun with blood and poo poo. Of course you want to believe they care but everyone I know in med school really doesn't. It's the weirdest school lf them all really, because some borderline psychopaths become doctors for money

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lol yes EMTs just do it for the fat stacks of cash. (Spoiler alert: they get paid a lovely hourly rate). You sound like an angry nerd with no idea how the world works. Read some fancy books and you'll soon be wise like us

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sure there are some people who are 'good'. Most do it because they need money, I bet 99% would change places with some goon bro who's living on his bitcoin investments

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

If you're passionate about being medic then you're imaginary alpha male and I feel like saying gently caress you I don't believe you exist and have fun with blood and poo poo. Of course you want to believe they care but everyone I know in med school really doesn't.

medic != doctor

I'm not talking about people who go to med schools to become doctors and make lots of money. I'm talking about the medics who are the first responders to emergencies. No one does that poo poo for big money, because there's no big money in it, it's a working class job. And your "alpha male" idea is also pretty stupid, it's not a "tough guy" job and lots of the people who do it are women.

It's also getting away from the main point that lots of jobs aren't "bullshit" and there's a real good reason that people who enjoy their jobs still like to be paid for them, which is that people need money to survive.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 21, 2015

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

blue squares posted:

Lol yes EMTs just do it for the fat stacks of cash. (Spoiler alert: they get paid a lovely hourly rate). You sound like an angry nerd with no idea how the world works. Read some fancy books and you'll soon be wise like us

Are you in the US? In Canada they get paid decently. Not sure about other places outside North America.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

All I'm saying re: medics is that most of them don't love their job. It's a bullshit job with some good moments. Just like any other. Hopefully they are compatible with their job choice, good for them. Anyway this is offtopic as gently caress

Also, trolled you all. I'm actually 16

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

Sure there are some people who are 'good'. Most do it because they need money, I bet 99% would change places with some goon bro who's living on his bitcoin investments

The idea of someone becoming an EMT "because they need money" does not make sense.

Most medics get a decent wage, but it's not a job anyone can do to get rich or even close because that's all it is, a decent wage. And there are many other jobs with the same wage that are much easier to get (being an EMT does require a good amount of training) and also do not require living through so much trauma. So no, I very seriously doubt that "most" medics do it for money.

quote:

All I'm saying re: medics is that most of them don't love their job. It's a bullshit job with some good moments.

How is it a "bullshit" job? I picked medics as an example because there is a very obvious need in society for what they do. There's nothing bullshit about it. Most of the people who do it, I think they see it more as a matter of "duty" or "rightness" then "love" per se. But that doesn't make it bullshit.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 21, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's bullshit because they have to do something other than sit and play video games all day, obviously

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mallamp posted:

prostitutes gently caress for money actually

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

All I am saying is I work at a book reading and dick sucking factory and dreams do come true

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This is the worst derail.

Relevant: I read the first episode of city on fire yesterday (out of seven). When the author said he wanted it to be the literary equivalent of an HBO box set he was being pretty drat literal.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

But did you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I've been writing, translating, editing, selling and promoting books (not at the same time). all good stuff for little money, but I'm not going to another field again. hth :)