Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

moths posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but Chaos doesn't get daemons in 30k?

I've got a ton of Slaanesh daemons and was about to pull the trigger on a discounted Calth box, but I want to use these two things together.

Word Bearers can ally with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's pretty unlikely, given the Ravenguard emblem on the knee/elbow on the left side of the model

also the wing

Oh sweet. Colour me psyched.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aww man, that's a bummer. I guess the Daemonic stuff didn't come in until late-era Heresy.

Word Bearers are cool, but they're not metallic purple and rock and roll noise gun cool.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It seems like they'll eventually get to mid / late heresy content. I was looking at the Visions of Heresy picture book and by the end the traitors looked pretty much like modern day chaos marines and several of the primarchs were full on demons. How many years did the heresy last?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Looks like Corax is up next. Forgeworld is doing a daily jigsaw reveal, but already messed it up

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2962/3577/original.jpg

I should probably paint Perturabo then.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

DeadGame posted:

It seems like they'll eventually get to mid / late heresy content. I was looking at the Visions of Heresy picture book and by the end the traitors looked pretty much like modern day chaos marines and several of the primarchs were full on demons. How many years did the heresy last?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess the solution is to paint them as Emperor's Children anyway and just wait for the Slaanesh version of the Daemonkin list. I'm much more interested in painting / modeling than actually playing at this point for a number of reasons.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So for Secret Santa at work, I pulled my Heresy buddy. Somebody's getting a badass for Christmas.

Germ
May 7, 2013

A question about the Orbital Assault Rite of War: Every unit purchased needs a way of deep striking, but only units in dedicated transports have to start in their dedicated transport, correct? So if I use a Storm Eagle to be able to take a 19-strong unit of tactical marines with Maun, that tac blob doesn't have to start in the Storm Eagle, because it's not a dedicated transport. They can do the Raven Guard thing and infiltrate on foot.

Do I have that right?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Just discovered a new reason to hate the hands-on-guns thing: now if I want to paint the weapons separately, there's a parade of horribles to match hand-painted gauntlets to airbrushed arms and bodies (I play Sons of Horus).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: Void Shield Harness; artificer armour; bolt pistol; power weapon; melta bombs; refractor field; jump pack 185

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 250
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 240
4 Tactical Support Marines: meltaguns; + 1 Tactical Support Sergeant 175
Drop Pod 35

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
9 Veteran Space Marines: legion vexilla; 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 240
Drop Pod 35
Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons; havoc launcher 195
9 Veteran Space Marines: legion vexilla; 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 240
Drop Pod 35

6 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain (melta bombs) 240
Land Speeder Squadron
Land Speeder: volkite culverin; graviton gun 75

Predator Strike Squadron
Predator: lascannon sponsons; machine spirit 140

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

3.000 points

Would this work, or do I need more scoring units?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Can't link it due to crappy Internet being odd but corax pic is out. I'll say straight up I think their hair looks p dumb as its like fulgrims updo

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hair straight down. People complain of too much wax. Wind through the hair. People complain of whipping hair. You just cant win.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Could use a quick set of eyes on an Emperor's Children list I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. I'll be preparing to purchase some fine :ussr: resin products soon and I'd really like to not have to pick up more than is absolutely necessary to make my 1850 list work, with maybe 150-200 points in sideboard models in case of funky game types like Zone Mortalis, Apoc or Stronghold Assault. My gaming group is talking about doing more of the thematic and way less of the competitive style 30/40k gaming.

quote:

+++ Emp Children (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [III: Emperor's Children]

+ HQ (180pts) +

Legion Praetor (180pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker]
··Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (820pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (290pts) [Fearless, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs, Melta Gun]
··Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]
··Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Phoenix Spear]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (290pts) [Fearless, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs, Melta Gun]

+ Elites (600pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (180pts)
··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Palatine Blade Squad (240pts) [4x Palatine Warrior, 4x Pheonix Spear, Sonic Shriekers]
··Palatine Prefector [Melta Bombs, Pheonix Spear]

+ Fast Attack (40pts) +

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery (40pts) [Tarantula Sentry Gun, Twin-linked Lascannon]

+ Heavy Support (210pts) +

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (210pts) [Reaper Autocannon battery]

Praetor goes with the Palatine Blades squad in their Rhino. 15 Footslogging tactical marines+apothecary for the core troops with 2 squads of 9 veterans+apothecary in a rhino with a meltagun to chase objectives. Mortis-Contemptor with 2x Kheres for lots of rending and a Fire Raptor for anti-flyer and a Las Tarantula for armor piercing and drawing some fire early on.

If this looks good, the pickup orders for me beyond the Calth box set, will be:

3x Mk1 legion rhinos
1x Palatine Blades squad
~10x Phoenix Spear weapon upgrades or proxies
~40 Emp Childrens' shoulderpad upgrades
~20 Emp Childrens' chestplate/helm upgrades
1x Legion Vexilla Upgrades
1x Fire Raptor Gunship
1x Tarantula Sentry Gun (TL Las)
1x Javelin Attack Speeder (swap-in unit)
4-5 man Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (swap-in unit)
Nathaniel Garro (Praetor swap if I wanted to go for loyalists)

If there are any glaring holes in the list, let me know.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Your Palatines really want a transport with an assault ramp, if you can.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hair straight down. People complain of too much wax. Wind through the hair. People complain of whipping hair. You just cant win.

It doesn't make sense for the hair to be whipping backward like that if he just touched down. The only way it'd be streaming behind him is in mid flight, and the impacting foot contradicts that. It should really be swaying forward, I think.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

His hair is probably being tossed around in jump-pack wash. It's a silly thing to let bother you, especially given how many "standing in a cyclone" figures there already are with wind blowing in contrary directions.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I think the pose is supposed to capture the moment where he just touches down. He is still moving down and forward. You can see the rocks breaking under his left foot. I think the hair is fine .

Not my favorite of the primarch models; but certainly not the worst.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lol those wings are going to get snapped so quickly.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

They're also going to be pointing in 18 different directions.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Lol those wings are going to get snapped so quickly.

Corax is the first-ever dual kit primarch! Rip out the wings and you are now fielding Rambo Survivor Corax.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DJ Dizzy posted:

Rock the Angron locks: cables that electrify your brain and turn you into a howling rage-beast. Give no fucks about hair anymore.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

I think the pose is supposed to capture the moment where he just touches down. He is still moving down and forward. You can see the rocks breaking under his left foot. I think the hair is fine .

Not my favorite of the primarch models; but certainly not the worst.

I think Mortarion is the worst looking of the bunch, what does everybody else think? The pose is just awkward and static, and not in a cool way where it's obviously propaganda like Horus or Roboute.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I don't really care for the giant pile of junk Perturabo is standing on. Mortarion DOES look a bit static, and the proportions seem off for his legs, but I haven't seen the model in person, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as a trick of perspective, much like Perturabo I guess. The rest of the models for the primarchs all look pretty cool to me.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

Your Palatines really want a transport with an assault ramp, if you can.

I know, but a 250+ point land raider is just going to make that tough. I was trying to find a better alternative, even if I had to ally in something for a transport.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how Corax is just shooting some mother fucker dead as he lands.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He's landing, forward momentum, hair is going to blow upward because of the direction of his descent. It's frankly more attention to detail than most models in the GW/FW range get when it comes to dynamic poses of this sort.

While he's not my fave Primarch sculpt, I can appreciate it for what it's trying to do and for the most part it does it well and this is when it's completely unpainted.

The only thing about him I question is where the gently caress is his crazy whip?

panascope posted:

I think Mortarion is the worst looking of the bunch, what does everybody else think? The pose is just awkward and static, and not in a cool way where it's obviously propaganda like Horus or Roboute.

Lorgar was the worst of the bunch and I don't even mind his model that much. Morty feels appropriately badass upon closer inspection IMHO.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AndyElusive posted:

The only thing about him I question is where the gently caress is his crazy whip?

I think it's because the books and artwork can never agree what the hell Corax uses to fight with, so they just call it "Panoply of the Raven Lord." He's usually twin lightning claws, but sometimes he's shredding people with his razor-sharp wings, burning stuff to death with his jetpack exhaust, sometimes he has one or two power whips, his tabletop stats make him dual-wield pistols, etc.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Agreed. Mortarion just looks... uncomfortable in his armor with that pose. No grace at all, just clunky. I don't like Roboute either. They could have done something more interesting to carry the statesman motif across. It doesn't help that I studied Greek/Roman statesmen so I guess I am bias.

On the other hand I really like Perturabo except for his base (which is an easy fix, so I am not complaining). The Night Haunter, Sevatar, and Lorgar are also some of my favorites.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

koreban posted:

I know, but a 250+ point land raider is just going to make that tough. I was trying to find a better alternative, even if I had to ally in something for a transport.

Are Caestus 30k?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You bet

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

A Christmas Miracle! Babby's first airbrushing attempts:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

+++ Emp Children (1835pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1835pts) ++

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [III: Emperor's Children]

+ HQ (180pts) +

Legion Praetor (180pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker]
··Master of the Legion [Pride of the Legion]

+ Troops (790pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (275pts) [Fearless, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (275pts) [Fearless, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (560pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (180pts)

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Palatine Blade Squad (200pts) [4x Palatine Warrior, 4x Pheonix Spear, Sonic Shriekers]
··Palatine Prefector [Melta Bombs, Pheonix Spear]

+ Heavy Support (305pts) +

Legion Caestus Assault Ram (305pts)

How's that then? Dropped fire raptor for Caestus, which can carry the palatine blade squad and praetor.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

He's landing, forward momentum, hair is going to blow upward because of the direction of his descent. It's frankly more attention to detail than most models in the GW/FW range get when it comes to dynamic poses of this sort.

While he's not my fave Primarch sculpt, I can appreciate it for what it's trying to do and for the most part it does it well and this is when it's completely unpainted.

Lorgar was the worst of the bunch and I don't even mind his model that much. Morty feels appropriately badass upon closer inspection IMHO.

Forward momentum means his hair would be forward, not back, because his hair would decelerate more slowly than his body (which is attached to his foot, which is clearly decelerating because it is plowing through debris). I liked the crazy jet wash explanation better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ok ya let's go with jetwash. Either way it's not out of this world for his gloriously genetically engineered locks to flow with the wind like they are.

Also what's with all the hate for Peters base? He's standing on the wreckage of a Knight. That's so awesome. :swoon:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Mortarion's pose sucks because a scythe is an awful, awkward weapon for actual combat.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
power scythes themselves are just eh.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

koreban posted:

How's that then? Dropped fire raptor for Caestus, which can carry the palatine blade squad and praetor.

You should strongly consider the ECs ROW which will let you outflank the Caestus on whatever turn you want, basically guaranteeing a turn 3 charge and mitigating one of the biggest problems with flier transports. I think I wrote up an example of a list for you a few weeks ago.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

You should strongly consider the ECs ROW which will let you outflank the Caestus on whatever turn you want, basically guaranteeing a turn 3 charge and mitigating one of the biggest problems with flier transports. I think I wrote up an example of a list for you a few weeks ago.

I looked into it, having the ability to bring veteran squads as troops in rhinos with apothecaries was a strong motivator over having min squad of 10 tacticals that wouln't be able to attach an apothecary and come in by rhino.

e: for a legion that *wants* to get into melee, having the extra attack per marine is also a benefit over the legion RoW. I think there's a place for playing around with the legion RoW in a list, but having scoring, fearless veterans with an apothecary in a rhino is just too good to pass up.

koreban fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Germ posted:

A question about the Orbital Assault Rite of War: Every unit purchased needs a way of deep striking, but only units in dedicated transports have to start in their dedicated transport, correct? So if I use a Storm Eagle to be able to take a 19-strong unit of tactical marines with Maun, that tac blob doesn't have to start in the Storm Eagle, because it's not a dedicated transport. They can do the Raven Guard thing and infiltrate on foot.

Do I have that right?

Lost in the shuffle and never answered. Help!