Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, I'm considering it, I know a local goon whose girlfriend might want it but if she decides against it, the gun's not bad (assuming he hasn't totally hosed it up)

That's like, $400 worth of stuff. I wouldn't make that trade unless i was selling a beat parts truck imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah from what I gather it is 90% cabling, which is what I've been doing for the past 5 years. In fact the HR lady just called me back 5 minutes ago to do a phone interview with the VP at 4 today.

Luck! DC cabling is a pretty decent gig, I'm on the break/fix server repair side of the same industry.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

PaintVagrant posted:

This post made me genuinely happy. You've obviously made some big mistakes but your earnestness in trying to fix your situation is endearing. The difference between you and a lot of people here is that we aren't nearly as willing to openly admit our fuckups.

Thank you. Besides being laid off from the union during the slow seasons I've had a job since the day I turned 16. And that was mopping up blood in the butcher's department of a grocery store. I love working and bust my rear end doing it. I just hosed up big time and I realized it. I want to make my family proud and be the best I can be. Anyone that knows me in person knows that I am very blunt and honest. Whether that means admitting I screwed up bad or calling someone out for being an rear end in a top hat, it is just who I am. It alienates a lot of people but the others always appreciate it.

The phone interview just got pushed back to 9AM tomorrow, which is good so it gives me a chance to read up more on the company and some of the stuff the job entails that I am not too familiar with.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ozmiander posted:

That's like, $400 worth of stuff. I wouldn't make that trade unless i was selling a beat parts truck imo.

Well, the thing about this truck is, I bought it cheap, and then it started smoking bad, so it's more or less a beat up parts truck

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is why my favorite Top Gear episodes were the ones where they bought really cheap cars and had fun with them. You can only watch Clarkson doing laps in a supercar so many times, but watching them nurse old cars across the English/American/European/Asian/African/Russian countryside never gets old.

The top gear cheap car stuff is pretty much the whole reason I got into cars (see: my username). I was a pretty big nerd/loser growing up and held zero interest in cars despite my dad being a mechanic. My first car became my winter beater after I got the SVX and I was really starting to hate that thing as there was always some loving problem with it and with money being so tight I usually just had to drive around it or find a band aid solution.

After complaining about its issue of the week somebody told me to watch one of the cheap car challenges and I had that moment that rock stars always talk about when they watch Spinal Tap and its not funny because that poo poo has actually happened, then it clicked and I realized how awesome that is.

I think the plan for that summer was to get some job and blow the money on video games, and it ended up turning into find an older and smaller car than my first car with a stick for my new winter beater. Ended up buying the Scirocco since my dad had terrible luck with VW poo poo when I was a kid and somehow four years later its now my year round car and I can't shut up about old 80s shitboxes now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone that knows me in person knows that I am very blunt and honest. Whether that means admitting I screwed up bad or calling someone out for being an rear end in a top hat, it is just who I am. It alienates a lot of people but the others always appreciate it.
Why did you bring goatse into it, dick?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
double'd

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The phone interview just got pushed back to 9AM tomorrow, which is good so it gives me a chance to read up more on the company and some of the stuff the job entails that I am not too familiar with.

This is a good idea. Good luck.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enourmo posted:

That sounds like the sweetest part of the deal, nothing worse than sharing a car/paying for a rental because they wouldn't play ball.

That's 100% on my mechanic, my insurance only supplies a loaner car if I use one of their appointed mechanics. And if I did that, my car would have been totalled due to higher hourly rates in my local area.

There's a reason why I keep using this mechanic. He's drat good, and inexpensive as far as mechanics go. And reasonably honest, which seems to be very rare.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Phone, what do you race?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Only the finest automobiles that were built in The Pursuit of Perfection.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phone posted:

Bricklin?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do Bricklins race from a roll?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No, they race on blocks.

Takes a long long time to get from one mechanics shop to another when you're on blocks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phone posted:

Do Bricklins race from a roll?

It'd have to make it through the formation lap without breaking so doubtful.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phone posted:

Lexus?

Was it a 7 hour race from the retirement home to the country kitchen buffet? :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BloodBag posted:

Lexus?

Was it a 7 hour race from the retirement home to the country kitchen buffet? :v:

It was a Double 7. :P

We had an extra stop and picked up a groundhog with 20 minutes to go on Saturday, we we dropped from 8th to 17th, but we were top 3 before noon. On Sunday, we had a bit of a snafu logistically and finished 2nd.

Not bad for our first race.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 21, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
jesus loving christ dude

MY TABLES

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

corn in the fridge posted:

Utterly retarded opinion / troll

Apologies for replying to this loving idiot / troll in the first place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kastein posted:

jesus loving christ dude

MY TABLES

Get a 4K monitor, you cheap rear end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Phone posted:

Get a 4K monitor, you cheap rear end.

You successfully broke my tables with triple monitors.

Yes, I know I have a lot of tabs open in Chrome...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

You successfully broke my tables with triple monitors.

Urge to comment rising....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The cheap car challenges are what really got me into cars, too. I grew up with beaters but was never actively choosing them; we were just poor. Top Gear taught me how to seek fun in them.

And my bus trip and recovery is cheating on the "AI Mental-ity Meter," as ACVWs have been driven cross-county in way worse states of repair by people much higher than me for decades, so the actual risk, while high for me, averages out to be quite low on the scale.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

Urge to comment rising....

I know I've got some really scandalous poo poo in my bookmark toolbar. Please restrain yourselves.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I know I've got some really scandalous poo poo in my bookmark toolbar. Please restrain yourselves.

I can't believe you use the jetbrains extension. You loving sicko.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo the tabs

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Oh hey 101 new posts!

:vince:

See ya later!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren: One day left for Sheep Game submissions! :siren:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PaintVagrant posted:

This post made me genuinely happy. You've obviously made some big mistakes but your earnestness in trying to fix your situation is endearing. The difference between you and a lot of people here is that we aren't nearly as willing to openly admit our fuckups.

I'm perfectly willing to admit to my huge fuckups, but they were all before SA, so what's really the point now? It's nice seeing people on here try to correct their lives early enough that they won't be like me, and looking at working into my 70's due to stupid decisions in my 20's and 30's that have completely wrecked any possibility of retiring at a reasonable age though.

Best of luck to anyone that makes a hard decision in an attempt to make life better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

leica posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo the tabs

I don't think I've ever seen that many tabs on a browser at the same time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:siren: My fiancee :siren: has no less than 200 tabs open at any point. We've had thermonuclear arguments over it, but I've just resigned myself.

The worst part is when Windows 10 or the new versions of Chrome do an update and automatically restart without your input and all of the tabs open back up again, because at least 50+ of them are YouTube and at least 2 are Netflix and Amazon Prime video. It's a goddamned nightmare.

I regularly run 40+ tabs, but they each rotate out with regularity, and that is over a single computing session. She leaves it on for months.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Apologies for replying to this loving idiot / troll in the first place.

Lol jesus what is wrong with you

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geirskogul posted:

:siren: My fiancee :siren: has no less than 200 tabs open at any point. We've had thermonuclear arguments over it, but I've just resigned myself.

The worst part is when Windows 10 or the new versions of Chrome do an update and automatically restart without your input and all of the tabs open back up again, because at least 50+ of them are YouTube and at least 2 are Netflix and Amazon Prime video. It's a goddamned nightmare.

I regularly run 40+ tabs, but they each rotate out with regularity, and that is over a single computing session. She leaves it on for months.

No she doesn't.

Firefox/Chrome will crash way before then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Look at this guy being wrong ^

I have 8GB of RAM for a reason, it's for firefox/chrome, not for any sort of heavy duty gaming or engineering software.

Also, said web browsers reload stuff after coming back to life if they crash. It's a little like keeping all your documents in the recycle bin, but who cares.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

No she doesn't.

I specifically gave her my :pcgaming: MSI Dual-video-card 16GB RAM laptop because of this behavior. Even it chugs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Look at this guy being wrong ^

I have 8GB of RAM for a reason, it's for firefox/chrome, not for any sort of heavy duty gaming or engineering software.

Also, said web browsers reload stuff after coming back to life if they crash. It's a little like keeping all your documents in the recycle bin, but who cares.

I got used to a couple Firefox-specific addons, so I stick with it. I find that after a few days and 30-ish tabs it takes a dump because of a memory leak, but I don't have to worry about that now, since Intel has hosed up their Skylake support so that the driver crashes a couple times a day. :thumbsup:

But I keep a shitload of tabs open, nothing like kastein, though.

My wife, though... poo poo. She still uses IE and doesn't use tabs, so she has a fuckton of open INDIVIDUAL WINDOWS. It drives me crazy.

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol jesus what is wrong with you
Quit while you're behind.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh hey 101 new posts!

:vince:

See ya later!

Gotta pay to play, how AI are YOU?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 22, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
ken how do you have so many tabs :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I feel like I have way too many tabs open if I hit about a dozen or so. For gods sake, why keep so many tabs open? Do bookmarks not work or something?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gently caress, having to highlight each one to see would drive me to despair.

You know there are such things as bookmarks, right? They're not just for real life books any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Phone posted:

No she doesn't.

Yeah, no, they'll stick with it just fine. Depends on your system, but I've seen 150-200+ tabs open without issues. Until it closes and re-opens.

• Locked thread