Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cowofwar posted:

bridge nanny
part-time nannies

The term you're looking for is "sitter" or "day care". If you live in a place where there are lots of kids, you've got one. Two if you count that parent who's always home anyway and likes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol liberals

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/21/ontario-wants-you-to-donate-your-next-tax-rebate-to-paying-down-the-debt/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus christ 10 lane bridge replacing a 4 lane tunnel??? Why??? For that money they could have built an LRT or something out to the ferries.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus christ 10 lane bridge replacing a 4 lane tunnel??? Why??? For that money they could have built an LRT or something out to the ferries.

What's really dumb is that there's only a six lane highway on the city side of the bridge, so apparently the bridge needs four extra lanes for reasons? :confused:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 21, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Why are you so defensive?
I bike, walk and drive. I get buzzed a lot while on my bike by people that can't bother crossing the centre line despite the complete lack of oncoming traffic. It's almost always pick-up trucks and I don't really feel like dying because I ride a bike on a road.

Also I sometimes ride along side other people and frequently take the entire lane while navigating narrow roads so I don't get creamed by lovely drivers. Also when driving I just patiently wait to safely pass slower moving people or vehicles instead of losing my poo poo and throwing my cup of coffee at them while blaring my horn.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

McGavin posted:

What's really dumb is that there's only a six lane highway on the city side of the bridge, so apparently the bridge needs four extra lanes for reasons? :confused:

on the south side i guess it can split into 99, 17 and maybe a connector to that new section of 17 that goes, uhhh, back across the river but where is it gonna go on the north side? 99 north from the tunnel connects with nothing but the oak street bridge and i guess brideport in richmond. the massey definitely needs replacing but ten lanes seems absurd

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It will ingratiate Christy Clark's government to the hard working middle-class families of Delta, and when they discover the congestion isn't solved, their rage will be directed onto the latte swilling elitists of Vancouver who refuse to accommodate their increased road usage.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The amount of daily transit commuters on the Broadway corridor easily exceeds the 80k daily drivers that cross the Massey Tunnel lol.

It's almost as if the BC Liberals ideologically hate transit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Drunk hicks run down cyclists all the time in rural areas.

And according to CIBC it's the cyclist's fault when a drunk driver swerves completely onto the wrong side of the road and kills two cyclists and his passenger.

PT6A have you ever actually seen a drunk driver? Because even on rural roads, they're incapable of staying in their lane, driving at a consistent speed or doing anything remotely safe.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

HookShot posted:

And according to CIBC it's the cyclist's fault when a drunk driver swerves completely onto the wrong side of the road and kills two cyclists and his passenger.

PT6A have you ever actually seen a drunk driver? Because even on rural roads, they're incapable of staying in their lane, driving at a consistent speed or doing anything remotely safe.

Wait why is a bank commenting on this?!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

the talent deficit posted:

on the south side i guess it can split into 99, 17 and maybe a connector to that new section of 17 that goes, uhhh, back across the river but where is it gonna go on the north side? 99 north from the tunnel connects with nothing but the oak street bridge and i guess brideport in richmond. the massey definitely needs replacing but ten lanes seems absurd

Express lanes to and from Ladner and South Richmond!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

It will ingratiate Christy Clark's government to the hard working middle-class families of Delta, and when they discover the congestion isn't solved, their rage will be directed onto the latte swilling elitists of Vancouver who refuse to accommodate their increased road usage.

It's weird because south delta voted in Huntington specifically to give a middle finger to the BC Libs, no idea why they're so keen to suck off the backwater hicks that infest Delta.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't over-build your stupid exurban mega bridge in Ladner, rip up that stupid elevated highway that cuts Toronto off from the waterfront, put good transit in order of where it will be most used, don't run over cyclists or pedestrians. Those are my strong canadian transport related opinions.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

apatheticman posted:

Wait why is a bank commenting on this?!

ICBC*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Yeah, if they're wasted. I'm just saying that driving buzzed (let's say 0.08, which will still get you an administrative suspension) in a rural area is way easier than in a city. Note I am not arguing that it's any of the following:

- legal
- safe
- a good idea

I'm just saying that it's more safe than driving drunk in an urban area. Driving in a rural area is always easier than in the city, that's why rural hicks who aren't used to driving in traffic always drive so lovely when they wander into the big city.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
According to the legal system it's more or less okay to kill people while driving drunk if you somehow don't know that driving drunk is illegal and a Bad Idea.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There was a guy in Calgary who was drunk driving a cement mixer, plowed through a family of 5 in a car killing them all, threw his vodka bottle into the cement mixer and spent less than three years in jail.

There is no deterrent to drunk driving in Canada.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Burn s.253, start over.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Speed cameras and a harsh point system like the UK. 3 year driving bans. Get hosed rural and suburban Canadians

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...lick=sf_globefb

quote:

Canada’s Minister of Immigration and Citizenship says the country’s resettlement program for Syrian refugees could double its intake by the end of next year to 50,000.

John McCallum was in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday, meeting with Syrian families preparing to board flights to Canada. He told one family: “Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you.”

Canada’s new Liberal government is pushing forward with its pledge to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February. McCallum says Canada hopes to settle 35,000 to 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, with the UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration assisting with the vetting process.

McCallum told several of his provincial counterparts earlier this month that Canada hoped to bring in more refugees later in 2016.

McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan.

And the states is taking in like what? 10,000, gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

The best part is that a lot of these lovely suburbans are built on prime farmland. I don't know much about land reclamation but I assume it will take many decades after these buildings are demolished (and that's assuming it's done properly, which I'm sure it won't be) before this land would be safe and viable farmland again.

Topsoil is generally stripped off land slated for development and sold. So any kind of agriculture reclamation is a matter of decades at least. And prime farmland soil is a an entire ecosystem in of itself that can't be conjured into existence as it is in turn supported by surrounding ecosystems that are often damaged or altered when people begin developing the landscape for suburban or light industrial buildings.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's weird because south delta voted in Huntington specifically to give a middle finger to the BC Libs, no idea why they're so keen to suck off the backwater hicks that infest Delta.

They voted in a useless independent in protest but would never elect an opposition MLA because fast ferries. Measures like the new bridge will bring them back into the Liberal fold.

Do it ironically posted:

There was a guy in Calgary who was drunk driving a cement mixer, plowed through a family of 5 in a car killing them all, threw his vodka bottle into the cement mixer and spent less than three years in jail.

Multiple years in jail is a fairly strong deterrent to anything imo

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 22, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Today's sunnier, friendlier Conservative party

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-2-bodies-dead-1.3374270

quote:

A Canadian war veteran was responsible for the homicide of his pregnant wife who was stabbed several times before being thrown off the balcony of a downtown apartment building Sunday evening, Toronto police say.

Police believe Precious Charbonneau was nine weeks pregnant.

Robert Giblin, 43, and Charbonneau, 33, died after falling from the 21st floor of a building at 111 Raglan Ave. Giblin had served with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, Department of National Defence officials have confirmed.

quote:

Some who knew Giblin and Charbonneau expressed their condolences online on Monday. "Rob my Brother. We were just chatting when you down in Halifax. Joking how us two old dogs were finally getting promoted. You kept me sane on our 6As and the SDIAC," one man wrote on Giblin's Facebook page. "Thanks for all the good times Bro. I'm devastated."

"Rob my brother, you should have hid the body like we did in the 'stan instead of throwing her over the balcony. Remember the good time bro."

Anyway. Our precious CF :qq:

good old canadian boys

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

It's not really overbuilding when it's the primary route linking nearly a million people (Vancouver, Richmond) to both the US border, the primary ferry terminal to the island, and oh yeah, also the part of Surrey that's seeing probably 90% of their recent and future population growth of 10k+ people per year. To say nothing of the population boom that would follow any relaxing of the ALR... Granted everybody living on the Fraser's flood plain is a fool, but when has that stopped people before?

Let's be realistic here, that bridge links Surrey to Richmond. All those commuters slam into a 4 lane bridge when they get to the Vancouver side. And in 5 years when Chisty Clark announces the new 10 lane bridge from Richmond to Vancouver, there still won't be the road capacity on the Vancouver side of things to deal with it.

And since it will have a toll, everyone will take the other bridge anyways.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Southern Alberta RAM TRUCK report: No one is getting approved. Everyone is downgrading. Truck equity: Negative.

e: Sorry. Wrong Canada thread.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

PT6A posted:

Why do you suppose this is? Certainly no major city in Europe was "designed" for anything beyond carriages, much less modern rapid transit, and yet they've built functional transit systems over the years. Older cities have the advantage, generally, of being much more compact than the newer cities in the West as well.
I feel it is largely the suburban NIMBYs who make it impossible to do anything because they need two lanes of in street parking mixed with downtown cores that are only wide enough for a single car one way, but all of Atlantic Canada is hosed. Our best chance was Halifax that was burned to the ground but they still hosed that up.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Do it ironically posted:

No, there wasn't. He was neither charged with nor convicted of drunk driving.

He was convicted of 5 counts of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abpc/doc/2009/2009abpc125/2009abpc125.html?resultIndex=5

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rust Martialis posted:

No, there wasn't. He was neither charged with nor convicted of drunk driving.

He was convicted of 5 counts of manslaughter and obstruction of justice.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abpc/doc/2009/2009abpc125/2009abpc125.html?resultIndex=5

quote:

In October 2011 he was granted day parole and in September 2012 he was allowed to move to a halfway house. Tschetter asked for full parole at the September hearing, but was denied. Tschetter’s request for full parole was reviewed in March and again denied, but his day parole was extended.

He was walking around 'rehabilitated' pretty early.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

According to the legal system it's more or less okay to kill people while driving drunk if you somehow don't know that driving drunk is illegal and a Bad Idea.

You don't even need to be drunk :ssh:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kly posted:

What? No way that cant be true. The idea of a two year old and a six year old sleeping in the same room is stupid and a great way to make sure neither of them ever get a good nights rest but i cant believe its illegal.
It's not illegal, but if Child Services is already involved, then they define acceptable accommodations as one bedroom per child. It's hosed up, because it's only an issue if you're already involved with CFS.

I shared a room with my sister for three years as a kid, but it was never an issue because a) CFS wasn't involved with us, and b) my parents could've bought a house with an extra bedroom if that was their priority, which it wasn't at that point. But if we had been involved with CFS - which, let's face it, would be much more likely if we'd been living in poverty - they would have been forced to move to a larger home or lose custody.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

They voted in a useless independent in protest but would never elect an opposition MLA because fast ferries. Measures like the new bridge will bring them back into the Liberal fold.

The BC Liberals made a big effort to have the Delta Mayor at the press conference for the new bridge, whereas no one from the Richmond side was there, so yeah this whole thing is a politically motivated.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

James Baud posted:

It's not really overbuilding when it's the primary route linking nearly a million people (Vancouver, Richmond) to both the US border, the primary ferry terminal to the island, and oh yeah, also the part of Surrey that's seeing probably 90% of their recent and future population growth of 10k+ people per year. To say nothing of the population boom that would follow any relaxing of the ALR... Granted everybody living on the Fraser's flood plain is a fool, but when has that stopped people before?

Well yes when transit is completely eliminated as an option, which the BC Liberals have done, then doubling down on car oriented urban planning becomes the only remaining solution. In this case we're not overbuilding, it's all that's possible. The BC Liberals have engineered it such that this is the only viable growth strategy.

You're on the ball bringing up the ALR. This entire thing is a real estate play. There has already been efforts to undermine the Agricultural Land Reserve. Expect more of this to continue and for the BC Liberals to tie it into the housing affordability problem. The Liberals will claim that the ALR is restricting supply and causing prices to rise. The solution will be to free up land in Delta/Tsawwassen for tracts of low density single family housing.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 22, 2015

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-2-bodies-dead-1.3374270

"Rob my brother, you should have hid the body like we did in the 'stan instead of throwing her over the balcony. Remember the good time bro."

Anyway. Our precious CF :qq:

good old canadian boys

How badly did the army brats beat you up during recess, CI?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

I dunno. I'm from there, they still hate the BC Liberals because of the poo poo they tried to pull with Delta Hospital, etc. Those idiotic hicks are perfectly content with electing a useless independent, and Ladnerites will never surrender their pickups and SUVs for transit. It's such a hosed region, I hate it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My favorite part is how the Canada line is basically now at capacity and they can't do poo poo about it because the platforms are so small. As usual the government made a lovely decision for short term budgetary reasons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

My favorite part is how the Canada line is basically now at capacity and they can't do poo poo about it because the platforms are so small. As usual the government made a lovely decision for short term budgetary reasons.

They apparently "left room" to expand all the platforms to support 3-car trains, which blows my mind because wasn't the drat thing at capacity like 6 months after opening?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

They apparently "left room" to expand all the platforms to support 3-car trains, which blows my mind because wasn't the drat thing at capacity like 6 months after opening?
It's a private partnership boondoggle featuring SNC Lavalin as usual.

One of the largest automated systems in the world and for some reason they went and made a completely incompatible spur with totally different organization and logistics. :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

jm20 posted:

He was walking around 'rehabilitated' pretty early.

You don't even need to be drunk :ssh:

His sentence seems to have been in line for a manslaughter conviction, car or not. He got basically 8 years, reduced by 25% for originally offering to plead guilty, and credit for pretrial time. 5 concurrent for manslaughter, plus 6 months for obstruction tacked on consecutive. Ended up at 66 months.

You seem to have an issue with the sentencing range for manslaughter generally, but think somehow he got off easy because he was in a vehicle? I'm unable to see your point otherwise.