Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized the subs are in all likelihood going to use the Japanese names

help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Probably not the official subs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah but almost nothing gets fansubbed anymore

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that said i wouldn't be surprised if a group just uses the official subs and changes the names

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was neat when her emoticon thingie showed she wasnt being honest about her emotions. A good gimmick.

I think they used the emoticon turning pitch-dark too early. It would have been much more powerful if they hadn't spoiled it in the first case.

It had the effect of making her look weak and fragile too, against loving Payne of all people. Given that she's going to spend a good chunk of two whole cases as a helpless victim, they could have at least built her up a bit first.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

help

Yeah, like all those Takarazuka and movie subs that insisted on using Japanese names...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's no way any official subs aren't going to use the English names. Those are the names Capcom has rights to in English speaking areas, and they're not gonna mess up licensing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I dunno if the anime will really be worth my time if they just retread the same plots as the games... But I guess I'm still interested.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

There's no way any official subs aren't going to use the English names. Those are the names Capcom has rights to in English speaking areas, and they're not gonna mess up licensing.

I'm just wondering if we'll get a dub.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm just wondering if we'll get a dub.

That'll all depend on who gets it/how popular it is. Like, if Funimation gets it and it's pretty popular, we'll be seeing a dub fairly soon. Crunchy or Viz, it might be a bit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Subs are gonna be weird anyway when you can hear people using the Japanese names.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Subs are already weird when you can hear people using Japanese everything, so I don't mind.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was weird when i watched jojo's and you could clearly hear them say the uncensored real names and then the english subs had some sort of riff on it that didn't endanger copyright

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also going to be a manga adaptation of the anime.

Today I learned there are already Phoenix Wright manga series. Has anyone ever read any of them? Are they good?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

mabels big day posted:

Today I learned there are already Phoenix Wright manga series. Has anyone ever read any of them? Are they good?

Yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I read half of one in like 2008 and it was about Spider-Man or something. Very odd.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

mabels big day posted:

My sister owns a few volumes. I don't remember them being particularly good or bad.

They were mainly light comedy sidestories, not serious courtroom drama IIRC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I have 2 of the volumes that came out here, they're short stories, mostly SoL and by different artists.

From what I remember they're mostly just ok, I think I laughed a couple of times at them though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have what are called the "Official Casebooks," which were released in English by Del Rey and are basically two volumes of officially sanctioned fancomics focusing on Phoenix and Edgeworth.

They're okay.

Edit: This is different from the more serialized manga series, which was more like the games, but focused on original cases.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cake Attack posted:

that said i wouldn't be surprised if a group just uses the official subs and changes the names

You say that but there are Pokemon subs that insist on Japanese names for everything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I have what are called the "Official Casebooks," which were released in English by Del Rey and are basically two volumes of officially sanctioned fancomics focusing on Phoenix and Edgeworth.

They're okay.

Edit: This is different from the more serialized manga series, which was more like the games, but focused on original cases.

yeah the serialized manga series is what I'm interested in

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raxivace posted:

I read half of one in like 2008 and it was about Spider-Man or something. Very odd.

What? I want to know more about this crossover.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Igiari! I've found the gyakuten, Mitsurugi-kenji!"

"Naruhodo-kun!"

"Nansska?!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

help

The bigger "problem" is that since it'll obviously be based on the Japanese versions of the games, we might get some disconnect when it comes to some of the jokes and stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"These burgers sure are great, huh Nick!"

*SLUUUURP*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

The bigger "problem" is that since it'll obviously be based on the Japanese versions of the games, we might get some disconnect when it comes to some of the jokes and stuff.

Hamburgers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In all fairness, I think the series itself abandoned the burger conceit when Eldoon came along.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

In all fairness, I think the series itself abandoned the burger conceit when Eldoon came along.

I kinda hope they'll still localize it to burgers if/when Maya shows up in AA6, just to maintain 4-2 as a den of confusion for English players.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

What? I want to know more about this crossover.

It wasn't actually Spider-Man, it was some monster guy or something people just called Spider-Man. It was weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Motto posted:

I kinda hope they'll still localize it to burgers if/when Maya shows up in AA6, just to maintain 4-2 as a den of confusion for English players.

"What, you never heard of hamburger ramen? It's fusion cuisine! *plays harmonica*"

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

"What, you never heard of hamburger ramen? It's fusion cuisine! *plays harmonica*"

The game is set in LA, after all

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It will be localised as Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I am pretty sure Maya mentions the burgs in AA5 so

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
If they dub the Ace Attorney anime I hope they do it like the Pokemon anime and just call rice balls jelly doughnuts or hamburgers or whatever without changing what they look like at all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Any subber who is a tru fan of the series will diligently edit hamburgers on top of noodles in the series.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i hope ema is back, i like that she's a bitter and jaded failure, like me

hell ema would probably be a goon

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i hope ema is back, i like that she's a bitter and jaded failure, like me

hell ema would probably be a goon

Ema is definitely a goon and probably in this thread right now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ema spends a lot of her time poking holes in the science of science fiction movies on Twitter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
The opening in the subs and dub should just be an animation of this comic. You know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no

• Locked thread