Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

ShotgunWillie posted:

I have this as well. Paid under $100 for it, but the spine is a little faded. How much did you get dinged for?

70 euros. It's in pretty good shape too. Side D had some parts in it where it would get stuck in a loop but messing around with the anti skating settings cleared that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Doctor Cave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtN1MUB0Gc

Some guy has created a "custom record cataloging LED system"

What a gigantic waste of time.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Pingiivi posted:

70 euros. It's in pretty good shape too. Side D had some parts in it where it would get stuck in a loop but messing around with the anti skating settings cleared that up.

A good cleaning would probably help. I got a package deal where I bought .KY and Lost Horizons together. I think I paid $150 for both. I do not regret it; they are most excellent albums and have been favorites for a long time.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

ShotgunWillie posted:

A good cleaning would probably help. I got a package deal where I bought .KY and Lost Horizons together. I think I paid $150 for both. I do not regret it; they are most excellent albums and have been favorites for a long time.

Oh man. I need to get .KY somewhere. The EPs are available on Discogs but getting them all would still be pretty expensive. There's a bunch of 64-95 boxes on sale but it's not that good IMO. The DVD is pretty cool though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Doctor Cave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtN1MUB0Gc

Some guy has created a "custom record cataloging LED system"

Dick from High Fidelity IRL

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What a gigantic waste of time.

I guess maybe I could see it being used if you had an absolutely massive collection, but for this size collection...yeah, I don't get it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I guess maybe I could see it being used if you had an absolutely massive collection, but for this size collection...yeah, I don't get it.

The mailman left the wrong package box key in my mailbox and right now I have some woman's QVC jewelry while she has my Mother OST. :ohdearsass:

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I'm in Dallas for a few weeks visiting my parents over the holiday break, and since they've just moved here, I decided to check out some of the local shops. The first one I went to was Josey Records off I-35, and I was not disappointed. They have a really large selection of used rock, soul, funk, etc, but what I was really impressed by is their classical stuff. I ended up spending most of my time (and money) in that section of the store, with the exception of finding Duke by Genesis and In Our Lifetime by Marvin Gaye. Here's some of what I bought today:

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 21, 2015

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

The mailman left the wrong package box key in my mailbox and right now I have some woman's QVC jewelry while she has my Mother OST. :ohdearsass:

Oh no! Just email us if you have any further problems and we can send you out another copy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wronkos posted:

I'm in Dallas for a few weeks visiting my parents over the holiday break, and since they've just moved here, I decided to check out some of the local shops. The first one I went to was Josey Records off I-35, and I was not disappointed. They have a really large selection of used rock, soul, funk, etc, but what I was really impressed by is their classical stuff. I ended up spending most of my time (and money) in that section of the store, with the exception of finding Duke by Genesis and In Our Lifetime by Marvin Gaye. Here's some of what I bought today:

If you like that selection, you'll love the Salvation Army.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

BigFactory posted:

If you like that selection, you'll love the Salvation Army.

That's probably true, but most stores I've been to only have one little bin for classical records, and it usually contains stuff I'm not looking for

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Oh no! Just email us if you have any further problems and we can send you out another copy.

UPDATE: For reasons I cannot begin to fathom, she showed zero interest in keeping this audio masterpiece and we exchanged packages.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

UPDATE: For reasons I cannot begin to fathom, she showed zero interest in keeping this audio masterpiece and we exchanged packages.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Couple of codes for whoever wants them, Happy Holidays!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I downloaded Alabama Shakes, thanks for that, Happy Holiday Season Of Your Choice!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Wronkos posted:

Hit up the half price books in richardson. A couple months back they got like 300 classical records and I think I'm the only one thats ever bought them. They were 1 to 3 bucks, in real good condition and with outer sleeves on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know the technical term, but the new Baroness album loops a little section of music when you hit the end of side A. I've heard of that before, but don't have any other records that do it. It's kind of a nice little touch, I'm surprised more albums don't do it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't know the technical term, but the new Baroness album loops a little section of music when you hit the end of side A. I've heard of that before, but don't have any other records that do it. It's kind of a nice little touch, I'm surprised more albums don't do it.

That's a locked groove. You can read about them here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, pretty interesting stuff.

yesacs
Dec 3, 2006

Come on man! If you don't eat, your handsome looks will deteriorate.
Baroness have done some really neat things on their vinyl releases. This is a badly lit pic of the Hyperrealist release of the Red Album. The first time I played this I thought my disc was jacked but hadn't looked closely enough. It's art work from the album sleeve that takes up the first inch or so of each record (it's different on each record), but it's not an etching. They are completely playable grooves. They made an audio track I guess that when pressed into the vinyl reflects back images. It's unlistenable noise but it sure is pretty.

yesacs fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 22, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm looking at purchasing an Audio Technica turntable as a replacement for my mid-1970s Panasonic. Can the Thrusters speakers off that set be plugged into an Audio Technica? This would be temporary until I get something more decent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm looking at purchasing an Audio Technica turntable as a replacement for my mid-1970s Panasonic. Can the Thrusters speakers off that set be plugged into an Audio Technica? This would be temporary until I get something more decent.

For the most part you can't plug speakers into a turntable at all. That was mostly a 70's thing with those models that were a radio and/or tape player as well. My first turntable was one such monstrosity. Anyway, what you'll need is a stereo receiver with a phono amp. If the cables on your speakers have those plugs on the end just snip them off and expose the ends of the wires so you can plug them into the receiver.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least some of the AT range have an inbuilt phono preamp these days I believe, so that part isn't so crucial.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least some of the AT range have an inbuilt phono preamp these days I believe, so that part isn't so crucial.

He'll still need something to plug the speakers into.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Naturally, but he won't have to hunt for an amp that has a phono stage - which is becoming increasingly rare and often a feature they don't put on the more budget models.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Naturally, but he won't have to hunt for an amp that has a phono stage - which is becoming increasingly rare and often a feature they don't put on the more budget models.

For this and the purposes of budget this is why I always recommend buying used. A lot of good stuff is out there for cheap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat straight. I have a Sharp Optonica turntable and a Sansui amp. I dig both a ton.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's a Christmas miracle! This is the first eBay bid I've ever put in that didn't get sniped at the last minute!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Never let it be said that ordering merchandise from Jimmy is a bad idea

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

It's a Christmas miracle! This is the first eBay bid I've ever put in that didn't get sniped at the last minute!

I'm so glad you posted this because someone was telling me about this album a while back and I thought it sounded cool but I couldn't remember the name.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is there anywhere worth shopping for music in Shreveport, LA? I'm going to be there tomorrow for post-holiday things.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Mike_V posted:

Never let it be said that ordering merchandise from Jimmy is a bad idea

drat!!!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I ended up with a warped album from that Don Giovanni Kickstarter, and they were kind enough to replace it, so now I have an extra download code.

Screaming Females - Castle Talk

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Moai Ou posted:

I ended up with a warped album from that Don Giovanni Kickstarter, and they were kind enough to replace it, so now I have an extra download code.

Screaming Females - Castle Talk

I grabbed this, thanks!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got my Giles Corey boxset from The Flenser this eve.

If you haven't heard of Giles Corey, it's a solo project of Dan Barrett from Have A Nice Life and it's about ghosts, suicide, and fictional (?) afterlife cults. It employs EVP recordings, a whole book (included with purchase~) and spooky sounds to create a haunted acoustic country folk album.

It comes with a a 200+ page book about a cult you probably never heard of

a download code for anyone interested. it's a great album, and this is an awesome package btw.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

WASDF posted:

Got my Giles Corey boxset from The Flenser this eve.

Sounded interesting so I grabbed it, appreciate it.

In a similar vein here is a download code for the below:

Quantic 5th Exotic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOnkcsJjUDw
http://www.discogs.com/Quantic-The-5th-Exotic/release/4878722

https://www.dropcards.com/vinyl
59V9Y5H453

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
My roommate texted me that a record I ordered in early December arrived and that the postal worker just kinda threw it at the doorstep, this isn't the first time that they've done that either :negative:

I know the things are packaged in such a way that it's not a huge deal but I'm thinking of having them delivered to work instead in the future.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Gravel Gravy posted:

Sounded interesting so I grabbed it, appreciate it.

In a similar vein here is a download code for the below:

Quantic 5th Exotic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOnkcsJjUDw
http://www.discogs.com/Quantic-The-5th-Exotic/release/4878722

https://www.dropcards.com/vinyl
59V9Y5H453

I grabbed this - receiver is in the shop and haven't heard anything new in a while
Thanks!

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

WASDF posted:

If you haven't heard of Giles Corey, it's a solo project of Dan Barrett from Have A Nice Life and it's about ghosts, suicide, and fictional (?) afterlife cults. It employs EVP recordings, a whole book (included with purchase~) and spooky sounds to create a haunted acoustic country folk album.

I've been meaning to listen to Giles Corey for the longest since I really enjoy Have A Nice Life, but I just haven't been in the mood for that kind of music. I almost feel like you need to be struggling with alcoholism to fully enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just added all 191 of my vinyl to Discogs and now I feel super gross about the level of OCD I just committed