Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

LeadSled posted:

So, you're going to stop at episode 30-something and wait five years before continuing?

That's what I've done!
...I really should get back to watching it after Christmas is done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I am another anime hater who loves LoGH.

And as somebody who has previously attempted to play the role of anime hater on a podcast, I encourage you to make plenty of predictions about what's going to happen. Right predictions are just as good as wrong ones.

I will probably make some guesses about what is going to happen in future episodes, but it won't be based on experiences of past anime. It would be more just based on effective storytelling and expectations based on things that I find felt similar. For example, I don't know anything about the show after Conquest (watched it the other day in prep) but it seems like there are a lot of characters. A prediction will be "most of these guys are gonna die". I probably won't be playing a role in the podcast either, no point being an anime hater if I find I don't hate it. That ain't fun or sporting.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just thought of something, are you guys going to listen to the entire opening and ending songs each episode? This is important.

Also in actual importance, I don't know if you're aware or not but the Next Episode previews can get a bit spoiler-y later on, so I recommend skipping the hell out of those at all times for your first time through the series.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Takes No Damage posted:

Just thought of something, are you guys going to listen to the entire opening and ending songs each episode? This is important.

Also in actual importance, I don't know if you're aware or not but the Next Episode previews can get a bit spoiler-y later on, so I recommend skipping the hell out of those at all times for your first time through the series.

I haven't really thought about if I'm going to listen to the OP and ED every time. Should I?

As for the previews, I don't really care about spoilers, but thanks for mentioning it so AP can take note of it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I would *definitely* recommend skipping the next episode previews, they aren't just kinda spoiler-filled, they're so chockful of them to the point that it almost tells you everything of note or that could possibly be considered surprising.

As for the OP/ED, I'd recommend watching them on the first episode of each set of 4/however many episodes you're doing in one go, but not any more then that. If anything, maybe even fewer. The OP's especially get really grating down the road. The Engrish in the last OP is actually straight up horrible.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 22, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Are the spoilers like "here's what happens," or "here's what happens and also everything that leads to it?"

When I'm watching something and really enjoying it I tend to look up the ending. To me knowing the end result makes the twists and turns that lead to it way more enjoyable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not really sure what the distinction between the two is, but they very blatantly give away major events/reveals/deaths with extreme frequency.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Within an episode, the narrator foreshadows things in a way that you'd expect to see in a documentary about history, which is what LoGH is, fictionally. It's sort of funny to see how much the narrator can poo poo on what seems to be the happy end of an episode.

During the next episode preview, he will flat out spoil major events in a way that's very defeating and unsatisfying.

Watch the ed and op of each 'season' at least once, but don't feel required to do so more than that. Some of the eds are good IMO, but just about all of the ops are pretty terrible. Just remember sometimes the eds and ops are replaced for a little more run time.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm a spoiler free kind of guy, but it's tough to say definitively, as it also depends from episode. Some are fine, others really just spoil all the interesting bits of plot of the next episode

E: And yeah, if you decide to skip the OP/ED, make sure to always watch the first ~10 seconds of the episode anyways to make sure that they didn't cut it out for more runtime in the episode. They'll trick you too because they'll play the OP song and the first shots of the Galaxy that they tend to have, and then fade into the episode 15 seconds in

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 22, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's kinda tough to say. A lot of times it will be the closing scenes of an episode and the narrator will jump in with a "But little did they know that they would soon be bla bla bla". The story justification for this is that the entire show is modeled after a WWII documentary on the History Channel, and we're all complaining that they spoil what happens to Hitler half way through :v:

On the OP/ED front I think each of the 4 different openings and closings are done by the same artist (?) so it can be neat to recognize them as you go through the seasons, but realistically I wouldn't watch the entire things more than a couple of times each season. And like some have said they get dropped pretty often and they just run credits over more scenes because there was too much badass political intrigue to contain in a single episode that week.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not really sure what the distinction between the two is, but they very blatantly give away major events/reveals/deaths with extreme frequency.

It's the difference between knowing only the destination, and knowing the destination as well as the route you're taking to get there.

I enjoy the journey to the story's end way more than the denouement itself. Just knowing how things turn out doesn't really mean anything for me if there's no context of what it took for events to get to that point.

However it sounds like LOGH does more than just spoil the end, so I'll do my best to avoid the previews as well.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mikeycp posted:

It's the difference between knowing only the destination, and knowing the destination as well as the route you're taking to get there.

I enjoy the journey to the story's end way more than the denouement itself. Just knowing how things turn out doesn't really mean anything for me if there's no context of what it took for events to get to that point.

However it sounds like LOGH does more than just spoil the end, so I'll do my best to avoid the previews as well.

The episode previews just don't add very much of anything to the story or mood. Its often that the preview simply rehashes some event you already expect based on the plot of the episode you just watched. They also have a clippy pace to them that doesn't mesh with the rest of the show.

I never skipped a single op/Ed because they were relaxing and I only watched 1-2 episodes each night. The last OP is kind of a bear though.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Are the spoilers like "here's what happens," or "here's what happens and also everything that leads to it?"

When I'm watching something and really enjoying it I tend to look up the ending. To me knowing the end result makes the twists and turns that lead to it way more enjoyable.

The worst ones are stuff like 'and they never saw each other again' or 'this was right before so and so betrayed everyone'. The previews assume that you already know the entire story back to front.

The spoilers do ruin a lot of the surprises and twists but I like that it adds another dimension to the show. If you're watching it for the first time there are some really major plot points that they will outright highlight but if you have time to binge through it, you can always just jump to the next episode. If you think that knowing about Caesar's death or who won the Battle of Waterloo before reading a history book on that era then by all means, skip the previews.

Episode format and narrator spoiler

You're basically watching a PBS style dramatic retelling of a chaotic period of human history. You could easily substitute the story for the conquests of Alexander the Great or the War of the Roses and lose none of the themes about warfare, alcohol, government etc that the show raises up. There's actually a couple of episodes that are straight out set as documentaries and explain how the Empire and Free Planet Alliance was formed.

I also really liked the fact that the narrator wasn't omniscient. There are times where you'll watch a scene and he'll say how future historians couldn't agree on why this person did this or he'll describe a character's motivation but it's up to you to decide whether he's right or not.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I got the impression more than once that the series was designed with the expectation that you'd already read the book, which, of course, isn't true of anyone in the West, or at least isn't true yet. (Can't wait until March and English release of volume 1).

The next episode previews are basically "the next episode is the one where this happens" and are aimed at people who have heard the story before.

It would be like if they made a big epic about the Trojan War here and an episode featuring Achilles sulking in his tent ended with "Next time: Achilles returns to the battlefield in grief as he watches Patroclus fall to the Trojans. Will Hector be able to withstand Achilles' fury?"

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
Well, this is a good a place as any: Was there any exposition on the history of the FPA from its founding to the present? I don't recall there being one in the show. I actually specifically remember Reinhard reading a book about it in front of a fireplace, as if to taunt me.

There's an episode about the various emperors but that was probably a lot easier to write than a multiparty democracy.

Hell, I don't think we get much of a summary of the FPA's structure. IIRC during the scene where they're having the vote for invading the Galactic Empire it seems implied that people vote for all secretary/chair positions independently (you wouldn't need a majority vote if it was a typical cabinet) but the results are usually partyline.

This scene specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juY_OcxrI

And of course the sane ones are the economist and the guy from human resources. Also whatever Job's position was at this time. Need to rewatch.

I mean none of this is necessary from a storytelling perspective but I'm still curious.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Job was the secretary of defense at the time, and he was simply strategic voting.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Job was secretary of defense, whose throwaway vote against the invasion of the empire somehow didnt count as a veto.

The fpa's power structure is not very elaborated on as far as i remember. It seems to be a lot of ineffective bickering committees, which demonstrates the flaws of democratic rule i suppose.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's been pointed out as a flaw by some that the Reich is kind of a super idealized benevolent authoritarian regime, but I feel like that's kind of the whole point. LoGH is asking the question "If there was a dictatorship that made the trains run on time and wasn't genociding anybody, would that be better than democracy with all of its flaws and inefficiencies?" It's not necessarily a strawman question, especially if you were paying attention to the obituaries when Lee Kuan Yew died. There's people who seem to think democracy is good simply because its more efficient than dictatorship, better at keeping a chicken in every pot and the GDP growing year over year. LoGH wants to know whether democracy is a good in and of itself. Bucock's final scene is one answer. Another, particularly Japanese one, is when Yang says something along the lines of, "In a democracy, the people can't evade responsibility for what their nation does."

I feel like this is one of the only stories I've seen that truly promotes the value of freedom and democracy in a meaningful way, because its the only one that doesn't take it for granted.

So yeah show owns.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
The FPA government always, to me, seemed to be some weird variant of a directorial system.

Spoilers! It's usually a very bad way of running a democracy. Today, only Switzerland is structured in this way.

Falathrim fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 23, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Philosopher kings, basically. I don't know how to put it in Plato's terms, but those guys would be dictator/tyrant. Those words are usually pejorative but hey man if the king is wise as gently caress then poo poo should be good.

Both groups suffer the same problem: corruption. It's really impossible to get rid of corruption and have those philosopher kings, so... Idk, viva la revolution I guess.

Although these kinds of problems are somewhat inherent in hierarchical power structures like the ones in logh. Nobody ever entertains ideas like collectivization.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Is Legend of Galactic Heroes the only show to feature (Season 2 spoilers) a 16 year old drinking whiskey with his dad's best friend explaining how he's happy that his adopted father is getting married but conflicted because he has a crush on his stepmom-to-be?

I think it might be.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The first episode of our LoGH podcast is live! It covers My Conquest is the Sea of Stars.

Here are the links:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

I hope to be able to get episodes up this early every week, but sometimes they may come out on Monday. I hope y'all enjoy. If anyone has suggestions, please let us know! We want to make this the best product that we can.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mikeycp posted:

The first episode of our LoGH podcast is live! It covers My Conquest is the Sea of Stars.

Here are the links:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

I hope to be able to get episodes up this early every week, but sometimes they may come out on Monday. I hope y'all enjoy. If anyone has suggestions, please let us know! We want to make this the best product that we can.
To explain about Iserlohn.
Iserlohn Fortress itself is submerged underneath A liquid metal sea. Anti aircraft guns and Ship launch tubes can surface and fire/launch ships than re submerge. Physical munitions and laser weaponry are absorbed and dissipated by the metal sea. Combined with the stationed fleet and it's massive cannon the fortress is nearly impregnable.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

To explain about Iserlohn.
Iserlohn Fortress itself is submerged underneath A liquid metal sea. Anti aircraft guns and Ship launch tubes can surface and fire/launch ships than re submerge. Physical munitions and laser weaponry are absorbed and dissipated by the metal sea. Combined with the stationed fleet and it's massive cannon the fortress is nearly impregnable.

Holt crap. That's super loving rad. I'll definitely read this info out in the next recording.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you'll see it plenty in future episodes, but imagine the Death Star covered in mercury. Ships can slowly fly through no problem, but lasers or explosives will have all their energy absorbed before they could reach the 'surface' of the station and cause actual damage.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just started watching this and holy moly. This is fantastic.

Then once the PKC shows up: :tviv:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
My absolute favourite thing which I only noticed on a rewatch?
When the PKC appear and surround Jessica, they're actually sinsterly humming the Alliance National Anthem.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

They just can't contain how much they love Freedom.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

My absolute favourite thing which I only noticed on a rewatch?
When the PKC appear and surround Jessica, they're actually sinsterly humming the Alliance National Anthem.

Maybe it's just cuz I've watched it a number of times, but that part seems really obvious, considering they just had EVERYONE sing the national anthem in the scene before.

Edit: don't get me wrong though, it's really creepy and ominous.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 17, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Episode 2 of the podcast is live. This one covers episodes 1-4.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

I hope everyone who chooses to partake has as good a time listening as we do recording! If my giving updates gets too much, tell me and I'll stop. No worries!

e: Due to extenuating circumstances there is a chance that we will skip a week for Episode 3. Sorry for the wait.

e2: We will definitely be skipping LOGH next week, due to personal reasons for AP. However randombattle and I will be recording an episode about Summer Wars with one of our friends. LOGH should be back the week after, though.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 19, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The two corridors are pretty much a handwave to create the two bottlenecks for the convenience of the story. "Small stretches of passable space in an otherwise unnavigable area" or whatever. There is at least one moment IIRC where the ships actually butt up against the "edge" and it's damaging to them in the same way hitting the electrical walls in F-Zero would be.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah you'll see it plenty in future episodes, but imagine the Death Star covered in mercury. Ships can slowly fly through no problem, but lasers or explosives will have all their energy absorbed before they could reach the 'surface' of the station and cause actual damage.

The interiors of Iserlohn make up some of my favourite shots of the show. The place looks like ESB's Cloud City, but noir as gently caress because there is only artificial lightning.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

Here are the links:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

I think you guys are hard-selling the original Gundam and its successors a bit hard to your friend, and I'm quite fond of those UC series. The whole Gundam arc from the original series through Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack is obviously massively influential on anime of many different genres for decades to come, but the original series and Zeta both come off as incredibly heavy-handed with their war=bad moral message in a way that can be off-putting and that other series have done in more subtle ways.

Not that Legend of Galactic Heroes is that much less heavy-handed on that message, as you've already seen by ep 4. Both Reinhard and Yang, in their own ways, see the war as pointless and, at best for both our protagonists, it's a quick means for military advancement through the hierarchy. Of course, LOGH is more "war is inevitable and is the natural state of affairs for man...and is also bad" than just "war is bad."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I think you guys are hard-selling the original Gundam and its successors a bit hard to your friend, and I'm quite fond of those UC series. The whole Gundam arc from the original series through Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack is obviously massively influential on anime of many different genres for decades to come, but the original series and Zeta both come off as incredibly heavy-handed with their war=bad moral message in a way that can be off-putting and that other series have done in more subtle ways.

Not that Legend of Galactic Heroes is that much less heavy-handed on that message, as you've already seen by ep 4. Both Reinhard and Yang, in their own ways, see the war as pointless and, at best for both our protagonists, it's a quick means for military advancement through the hierarchy. Of course, LOGH is more "war is inevitable and is the natural state of affairs for man...and is also bad" than just "war is bad."

I would ultimately agree, though I do think Gundam is still definitely worth watching for the purpose of seeing what came before as well as seeing a different take on it, even if it's a less nuanced one. Plus we just like Gundam quite a bit.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

I would ultimately agree, though I do think Gundam is still definitely worth watching for the purpose of seeing what came before as well as seeing a different take on it, even if it's a less nuanced one. Plus we just like Gundam quite a bit.

I like UC Gundams as well. I enjoyed the much-maligned ZZ Gundam especially: Judau Ashta's arc from :smugdog: "this war is stupid and pointless" to :qq: "This war is stupid and pointless" is great.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would probably have liked Zeta Gundam if the protag wasn't just the whiniest piece of poo poo I've had the misfortune of experiencing this side of NGE for most(all?) of the show

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
0079 and Zeta aren't anti-war. They don't pretend it's a nice thing but they're environmentalist new-age revolution deals, not pacificist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am pretty sure Kamille manned up by at least halfway through. And even before then, kid going on a rampage in a mobile suit to pick on the Titan bullies who picked on him was actually kind of great.

It's like yeah, of course that's what some bullied kid would do if you gave him a giant robot.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Zeta is great because the protagonist is basically Timothy McVeigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Episode 2 of the podcast is live. This one covers episodes 1-4.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

In your discussion of the Kaiser you seem to have missed the most important part of his character that shows up in these episodes: sure, he seems a pretty chill old man -- but also one that forced a young woman to become his mistress using the power of his office.