Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, that's exactly what they're for. The chin strap doesn't even enter into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Uncle Ivan posted:

Of those, if you're above 6'1" your only options are Revit and BMW.

I'm 6'4" and all my gear is Dainese and fits fine what?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Lose some weight.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Lose some weight.

Impossible. He's literally just one superduke riding another superduke under a trenchcoat.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Slavvy posted:

I thought the point of the tabs was to be able to get the padding out so you can take the helmet off without it pulling on the person's head?
They are. It's nice to have but it's not a selling point of a helmet.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Does anyone use a helmet skirt or large chin curtain or anything? I ride in freezing temperatures and the poo poo goes up into my rf1200. I've looked at the noj quiet rider and the Windjammer. The noj looks good and all while the Windjammer looks like it'd be even more of a bitch to get the helmet onto my head. Any input either way (or new information) would be super helpful before I drop money on something I don't know if I'll be able to return.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

A chin curtain, pinlock and internal visor are the mandatory things in a helmet for me, for what its worth.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Shimrod posted:

A chin curtain, pinlock and internal visor are the mandatory things in a helmet for me, for what its worth.

drat, got all those in my helmet already. Pinlock is fuckin' ridiculous. No idea how I survived without it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Verge posted:

Does anyone use a helmet skirt or large chin curtain or anything? I ride in freezing temperatures and the poo poo goes up into my rf1200. I've looked at the noj quiet rider and the Windjammer. The noj looks good and all while the Windjammer looks like it'd be even more of a bitch to get the helmet onto my head. Any input either way (or new information) would be super helpful before I drop money on something I don't know if I'll be able to return.
Balaclava. Get one with Gore Windstopper.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Well, turns out even the XS size Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner is choking the life outta me under my Dainese Razon. My kingdom for a thin heated jacket liner in a euro cut.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's pretty difficult doing winter layers under a properly fitting leather jacket. Get some winter textiles or something.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Anyone ever bought anything through https://www.burnoutitaly.com

They have a pair of gloves I want that are $217 at rev'zilla but they sell them for $150. While I like rev'zilla I tend to like money more and everything this place sells is at least 2/3rds the price of rev'zilla and that's kinda weirding me out.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

I use a chin curtain in my helmet, and I have a Rev'It neck collar thingie. It's a dickie, I guess. Basically, it goes down a bit past my collarbone on my chest, and has a little chin/nose bit that goes over my face a bit. It's been really amazing with the cold and the wet. Even just a wool Buff will help, but I think you're local so I recommend something (as Inu said) with the Gore windstopper stuff in it for the wet.

When it get super cold, I consider going full balaclava. I also consider goggles. drat glasses fog up like crazy.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Verge posted:

I use a Cyclone Buff which is double-layer microfiber on the top half (under the helmet) and Gore Windstopper on the lower half (chin and neck). It's awesome.

I bet one of the similar but motorcycle-specific things from Rev'it! would fit better, but this does a great job.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I must have an American-style Alpinestars jacket, the Stunt 2 Leather. It makes me look like an insanely fat gently caress and I want to pick up another jacket in the spring so I don't look like a shithead doofus.

I have one of the euro cut ones and it fits really nicely on a slim build.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Verge posted:

I use a Seirus neck gaiter and/or a scarf.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The Under Armour balaclavas work really well too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I bought a Bilt mask and it sucks!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The turtlefur balaclavas are great but you gotta wash them very frequently.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

I punched myself in the junk and it hurts!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just wear a big scarf (tucked into my jacket, of course) whenever it gets super cold. You need one that's bulky enough to close up the gap at the bottom of your helmet. As a bonus, everything gets quieter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

P. Much.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yo Sagebrush, I don't remember which thread we were discussing it in but my opt7 bulb finally showed up. Haven't road tested it yet but it does work and seems pretty drat bright.

Turns out you can take the bracket off, so I was able to thread the bulb through without cutting the rubber dust cover:

(I put it back on the wrong way round in this pic, because I am smart :downsgun:)

Haven't battened down the control box yet because the lead from the bulb is super short and the easiest place to put it causes it to hit the instrument panel subframe. There's not much room for it to rattle anyway, so I'm not sure it matters.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What forums do you guys recommend aside from here for selling gear?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

What forums do you guys recommend aside from here for selling gear?

Silk Road?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Marktplaats?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
ADVrider and Craigslist

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Anyone have opinions on A* SMX Plus or A* SMX-6 Vented or Dainese Nexus boots?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I've owned two pairs of SMX Pluses, and I love them for everything from daytrips to commuting to the track. I haven't worn the Dainese, so no help there, but the last time I had a pair of SMX-6's in my hands, they were comically easy to bend in half. I wouldn't trust my ankles in them for a second.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

^ Agreed about the smx plus vs smx 6. BTW your av rules, ancienttv

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anyone have opinions on A* SMX Plus or A* SMX-6 Vented or Dainese Nexus boots?
Depends what you're looking for in a boot. More details?

re: lateral ankle movement. SMX6 will fold over with practically no effort, but the SMX-Pluses will fold as well. I used to be a huge SMX+ advocate, but these days I tend to recommend Dainese boots because they have true lateral ankle protection. I don't know about the Nexus as I haven't had my hands on them, but looking at the way the bracing is designed, I'd wager that they will fold over like a SMX+.

Don't get me wrong - I fully understand that not everyone can afford to buy a Supertech R, Axial Pro In, Mag-1, Security Evo, etc. and I certainly understand the market for mid-range boots. I just wish more of them had true lateral bracing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Boot chat always makes me sad, because my buying pricess is always "what boots come in a size 15?" And that narrows my options down to a couple Cortechs, I think two Dainese boots, and some Formas.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm kind of in the same boat. "What boots with lateral protection come in a size 37?" lmfao, none. SMX + is as close as I'll be able to get.

e: I take it back, I managed to get a pair of TCX RS2 in a 38 that work well enough when the airbag is fully inflated. They're discontinued though, so I'm SOL if I ever break them.

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 22, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yo Sagebrush, I don't remember which thread we were discussing it in but my opt7 bulb finally showed up. Haven't road tested it yet but it does work and seems pretty drat bright.

Turns out you can take the bracket off, so I was able to thread the bulb through without cutting the rubber dust cover:

(I put it back on the wrong way round in this pic, because I am smart :downsgun:)

Haven't battened down the control box yet because the lead from the bulb is super short and the easiest place to put it causes it to hit the instrument panel subframe. There's not much room for it to rattle anyway, so I'm not sure it matters.

Sweet. Let me know -- I only have it installed in round headlamp housings, so I don't know what the effect will be in a square one. Works great in mine though.

After riding with them for a while, I find that the low beam is about equal to a halogen lamp on low, but the high beam is way better than either. Light up signs half a mile down the road, turn a dark country road into day.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Women in general get hosed when it comes to riding gear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Women in general get hosed when it comes to riding gear.

I have first-(well, second-)hand experience with this now and it's pretty terrible. Doesn't help that women have the additional design variable of boob size that gear companies appear to be completely unaware of. And everything has flowers and butterflies and other Barbie bullshit on it, at least in the shops here.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I have first-(well, second-)hand experience with this now and it's pretty terrible. Doesn't help that women have the additional design variable of boob size that gear companies appear to be completely unaware of. And everything has flowers and butterflies and other Barbie bullshit on it, at least in the shops here.

Not that I'm trying to downplay the struggle that I don't understand but would a sports bra alleviate this boob issue?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

Not that I'm trying to downplay the struggle that I don't understand but would a sports bra alleviate this boob issue?

I have no idea :ohdear:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

-Inu- posted:

Depends what you're looking for in a boot. More details?

re: lateral ankle movement. SMX6 will fold over with practically no effort, but the SMX-Pluses will fold as well. I used to be a huge SMX+ advocate, but these days I tend to recommend Dainese boots because they have true lateral ankle protection. I don't know about the Nexus as I haven't had my hands on them, but looking at the way the bracing is designed, I'd wager that they will fold over like a SMX+.

Don't get me wrong - I fully understand that not everyone can afford to buy a Supertech R, Axial Pro In, Mag-1, Security Evo, etc. and I certainly understand the market for mid-range boots. I just wish more of them had true lateral bracing.
Track boots, basically. Sounds like all 3 of those are similar, then. I kinda would like some lateral flex because they'll be used on a sidecar too, but mainly I came up with that list because they're in my price range and they're red/white. THEY HAVE TO BE RED/WHITE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dianese torque out/torque in are my default rec for cheap decent race boots.