Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I enjoyed this quote from the Reddit thread:

code:
[–]aeschenkarnos 16 points 37 minutes ago 

Collective punishment is against the UN Declaration of Human Rights for a reason. It's a lovely thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

jassi007 posted:

So a post appeared on reddit stating that most of the l3's and some other judge in the Southeast U.S. region just got DCI suspensions ranging from 3 months to 3 years. The RC or former RC? commented on the thread basically stating it is bullshit. The only thing on WOTC's site seems to really vaguely indicate it had something to do with all the Oath of the Gatewatch leaks.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-concerning-recent-suspensions-2015-12-21

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3xrtyv/most_of_the_l3_judges_in_the_southeast_us_region/

Basically Corporate got mad and demanded bans for absolutely anyone in the entire judge network who could have stopped it, regardless of how reasonable stopping it would have been for them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

In case you didn't already know, never be a loving judge. WOTC doesn't give a poo poo about you.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Niton posted:

Basically Corporate got mad and demanded bans for absolutely anyone in the entire judge network who could have stopped it, regardless of how reasonable stopping it would have been for them.

*grappling hooks into another judge's house*
"Give me all your computronics. All of them."
*pulls out assault rifle*
"I'm plugging this leak... or I'll plug you... with bullets"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's how you spin it but like I think wotc is right to ban anyone that could be involved since it's not like, a case of criminal action or anything.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh no, not being unable to officiate wizard cards for 3 months; that's the worst punishment ever!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Niton posted:

How could they have stopped it? "please guys, we're gonna get in trouble!" like a little narc?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rip in peace, these guys who were just trying to save us from preordering a bad set. :smith:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"What is the virtue of a proportional response?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

How could they have stopped it? "please guys, we're gonna get in trouble!" like a little narc?

Which is funny because it appears the person who reported it first was banned.

GeneX posted:

Oh no, not being unable to officiate wizard cards for 3 months; that's the worst punishment ever!

The people who do the most thankless job which seems to get shittier to do every year definitely seems like a group of people I would have put more thought into taking this sort of action.

The short term bans themselves aren't much but what did it buy them? At the expense of bad PR and affects of organized play for an entire region did what exactly? Seems like WOTC took a no win situation and just made it worse for nothing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wizards has not violated anybody's rights with this decision but it was still pretty fuckheaded.

That said, you shouldn't play magic anyways so wizards is really doing them a favor.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Your potential to commit a crime warrants further banning.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I think it's how you spin it but like I think wotc is right to ban anyone that could be involved since it's not like, a case of criminal action or anything.

A blanket ban is lovely, and it really is too bad it doesn't do worse for their reputation as a company.

I sure hope it discourages people from wanting to judge for this shitshow of a game, though. Wizards doesn't deserve the time and effort the people who do that put into it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sickening posted:

WotC is the DNC!?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
This will lead to a judge strike and a shutdown of all DCI sanctioned tournaments larger than FNM. Behold the end times of Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

This will lead to a judge strike and a shutdown of all DCI sanctioned tournaments larger than FNM. Behold the end times of Magic.

What a wonderful world such would be

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Christ, why not just go back to Alpha's system of coin flips and friendly warnings for resolving rules disputes?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Few among the players have ever spoken with Hasbro, but all have felt their influence.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Magic has so many codes and statutes that you're always in violation of one of them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

English only, original art only, and IIRC no revised. So yes, very much so.

I guess I'm playing Renegade 93/94 then. Seriously without all that stupid poo poo, playing old Magic is pretty fun, as a break and as a contrast to newer stuff. I'm all in favor of more formats other than Standard/Vintage/Legacy/Modern/EDH being played. I would love to do a proxy Onslaught block draft or something like that over the holidays too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

End of Life Guy posted:

I can only hope this will happen because it would be hilarious.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"We will prove your guilt. We don't suspend the innocent, you know."
—Arrester Lavinia, WoTC

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Banning a judge is an act of mercy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
We have confiscated your judges as evidence. Once we conclude our investigation, you may petition to have them returned.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Watch Bergeot start a loving war

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lets alls stop playing magic in protest of who cares whatever

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

What a wonderful world such would be

Please let this happen.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lets alls stop playing magic in protest of who cares whatever

Miles ahead of you. So many trading card games, so little time to play them all.

"For the judges, the opportunity to serve Wizards is too great an honor for suspensions to interrupt."

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

End of Life Guy posted:

Maro would combust from how casually they one-upped his decades of work killing magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Amid rumors of boycotts, the third act of The Suspension of the Leakers was quickly rewritten as a tragedy.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

[–]KyleCardoza
Unpopular opinion: leaks damage the game, and Wizards was too gentle. I'd have banned anyone who knew anything for life.

[–]devintron
If they were responsible for the leaks, wotc went too easy. Leaks damage the game.

[–]segelah
without an official statement from wotc, this calls into question the whole judging community. not a good look for the game, I'd say.

[–]firebreather209
As someone who literally would not have become a judge at all without one of the people on the list (and has been inspired to become a better judge by literally every judge on that list), I literally made a flamethrower today I'm so furious.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

"Your deed cannot be undone. You, however, can be suspended."
--Agosto, Wizards imperator

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sorry I leaked your set. Here's some gold.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"You can always count on the DCI to ruin a party."
—Massacred judges

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there is no such thing as a plea of innocence before the DCI. a plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. guilty.
-inquisitor bergeot

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

While this leak was more annoying than most considering all the goofy ~*SIXTH COLOR*~ drama it caused, I fail to see how leaks "damage the game" beyond making the cheering when they officially reveal the card at some event a little quieter.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why are the leakers being evaluated as judges rather than as leakers?

Or rather, why does being a judge mitigate the fact that they did something they shouldn't, and why is hearsay the basis of propriety?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 22, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Let's face it, a three month ban is the bare minimum they could punish people with. If the stories of being banned for not doing anything to stop it are true, then it's obviously bowing to corporate pressure. There are a few people who got much longer suspensions, and they are probably the people who actually leaked the cards. I wish I was more involved in the judge projects part of judging so I knew what project these folks were on and how they actually came to have access to these cards in the first place. I don't judge large events a lot anymore, but two of the judges were people I really liked seeing at big events, and now I don't know if I'll ever see them again. The guy who is the loudest on that Reddit thread, Turner, was the Regional Coordinator for all judges in the Southeast. Everyone liked him, and he was fun to judge with. I doubt he's coming back, especially seeing as he's about ready to spill the beans on exactly what happened - something WotC probably doesn't want.

I understand WotC banning people who leaked cards, and I understand the splash damage to an extent, it was just mishandled in a way that the entire L2+ community is freaking out.

Zoness posted:

Why are the leakers being evaluated as judges rather than as leakers?

Or rather, why does being a judge mitigate the fact that they did something they shouldn't, and why is hearsay the basis of propriety?

I can only guess that being a judge somehow allowed these people access to the cards.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
People who have to work a lovely job, get poo poo on by their overlords. Suckers all the way down.

Seems like a dumb move on WOTC part, but they constantly do that and it seems to be working for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Foma posted:

People who have to work a lovely job, get poo poo on by their overlords. Suckers all the way down.

Seems like a dumb move on WOTC part, but they constantly do that and it seems to be working for them

Is it really a job when you get paid product?

• Locked thread