Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I may have to give it another shot over vacation. I've tried it with jet pack/bounty hunter already, but I wasn't doing so well with it. I'll have to try the foot aiming technique.

My previous favorite kit was jet pack/shield/impact grenade but since they nerfed impacts I haven't bothered with them any more. Honestly good ole thermal detonators are still a solid option for WA.

Cool, give it a shot. Also, I wouldn't reccommend for people to try and get the level 3 bounty hunter combo with the bowcaster right away. It isn't easy getting to level 3 (it takes 6 kills without dying) and it would suck to get to level 3 and blow it when you try to combo because you miss-timed a shot or something. Take the time to get used to how the bowcaster works. Once you are able to consistently get kills with it and are comfortable with how it works, then try to go for the bounty hunter combo.

Another great card to use for that is the personal shield. Jumpjetting with the bowcaster can net you easy kills, but you will more often than not end up in a position where multiple enemies are shooting you and there's little cover around you. Just pop the shield when you land, run to cover, and get ready to line up another shot when your cooldowns are done. This makes it much easier to get to level 3 bounty hunter.

And re: scout pistol, I think it's a really good card overall. It's basically a souped-up pocket DL-44 which can have a 6 second(!) cooldown when upgraded. Take it when you know you're going to have close-range trouble but want to use a T-21 or other long-ranged primary. It's just not as good as the reliable thermal or other explosives because it's situational, but you can still mop up with it with the right setup.

Also, can someone tell me how to save my second set of card? I've tried since this game launched to get it to save my second hand and it still gets wiped clean after every round. My roommates on the PS4 don't have this problem, so I'm guessing it might be a PC thing? This isn't gamebreaking but it's such a :dice: problem that I'm angry they haven't fixed it yet.

Siets posted:

Ruining the game? Eh, that's a stretch. It is far and away the best hero power though and breaks Heroes vs. Villains pretty badly. The DPS output of his gun when he presses 2 is absolutely insane. The charge shot, if you are good at landing it, is also equally devastating.

I think he means the DL-44? Yeah it's a really good gun that could use a slight reduction in its firerate, but I don't think it's broken or anything like that. It is only useful at pretty close ranges and loses out to almost every gun the farther away you are. The damage drop off is pretty extreme and it gets super inaccurate as it heats up. It only becomes really obnoxious in the small game modes, and even then you could use the shotgun to level the playing field.

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
At any given moment there about ten different horribly overpowered things ruining the game. It's part of the beauty of the experience.

1) Han Solo shot in H vs V I guess.
2) Rebel air in any context.
3) That spawn at the bottom of the hill on phase one of Hoth WA.
4) Getting the center turbolaser before the other team on Sullust Supremacy.
5) Exclusive "Shoot First" emote included in Season Pass pre-order. Order now!
6) Scan Pulse
7) Scan Pulse
8) Scan Pulse
9) Everything about the center capture point on Tatooine Supremacy.
10) Using dish turrets from phase 2/3 to shoot walkers in phase 1/2.
11) Using dish turrets on walkers in general.
12) Walker Assault in general.
13) Hero Ships.
14) Purchasing charges.
15) Teamwork????

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bowcaster's a nice, versatile weapon because its useful in the open with jumpjets and in really close quarters can get the same effect as any other videogame explosive shotgun. Barrage is only good for area denial at this point, impact's are pretty useless, thermals are decent videogame grenades, but the bowcaster is pretty good for at least one kill every time you pull it out.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Agreed. Sometimes I slip it into my hand before the match starts if 1) I know I'm not gonna be jump-packing around and 2) I'm running a more longer-range primary. In other words, if you're running a pistol or the jawa shotgun, there's no reason to equip the scout pistol.

The jawa shotgun is my go to on Endor, but I'm thinking of trying: EE-3 (which is my go to now and I've gotten good at using), pulse rifle (for taking out people in the Ewoks tree village), then Scout Pistol for close up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

At any given moment there about ten different horribly overpowered things ruining the game. It's part of the beauty of the experience.

3) That spawn at the bottom of the hill on phase one of Hoth WA.

This is overpowered? I get hosed every time I spawn there.

quote:

9) Everything about the center capture point on Tatooine Supremacy.

Two things I noticed: If you're a rebel just hang back for like ten seconds. I guarantee you you will see an Imp hop on top of that starship center point and try to snipe. Its pretty easy to pick them off at that point.

If you're a rebel go around the right side instead of the left, there is hardly any resistance on that side usually.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

spiralbrain posted:

This is overpowered? I get hosed every time I spawn there.

Yeah, I didn't mean for the people spawning there. Whenever that spawn activates it basically hands both uplinks over the Rebels for the next 45 seconds.

Also the rest of your post indicates that you have confused Jakku for Tatooine.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Also the rest of your post indicates that you have confused Jakku for Tatooine.

Brain fart. Yes I did and I know better.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Lately one of my favorite things to do is gently caress around with the emotes. It seems no one does it, but gloating after a kill, or laughing at your hapless teammate after you jet packed infront of him and stole his token never gets old.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/IsometricBacon0/video/13396750

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Isometric Bacon posted:

Lately one of my favorite things to do is gently caress around with the emotes. It seems no one does it, but gloating after a kill, or laughing at your hapless teammate after you jet packed infront of him and stole his token never gets old.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/IsometricBacon0/video/13396750

Whenever someone beats me to a vehicle or powerup token, I will usually drop a Darth Vader "Noooooooooo!" for comedic effect. :v:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wow, I guess I didn't realize how emotes would be audible to everyone at weird moments. That might be fun to do, when I'm not constantly paranoid that I'm about to get shot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ShineDog posted:

At the apex of a jump jet arc.

Bowcaster stretches sphincters

I tend to play pod control exclusively but it's also a good defensive weapon. If you hide out and see a group of guys rushing the pod, a fully charged bow will ruin their day, even if they are hiding behind it for cover

the only wildcard is someone using a shield. It wont kill them but will disable it at least. It still buys them enough time to turn the pod but should still give you the jump on them so that they dont kill you and hold it

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I complained about the cycle rifle a while back in this thread and I have to take it back. Just lead with the rifle and you should be hitting them. I rarely use it for long range. Mostly around corners and down long stretches. It's a pretty good mid range shot.

Here's a video of a guy that thought he had the jump on me with a rocket launcher.
https://youtu.be/rKe9uLJ48ik

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oddly enough I've been killed with a cycler exactly once since the beta

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I would love to be a fly on the wall for anyone getting killed by the cycle rifle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

zooted heh posted:

I would love to be a fly on the wall for anyone getting killed by the cycle rifle.

If I could see the reaction of any one person I've killed in this game it would be this Boba Fett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YZt-5EsAE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I was once Luke Skywalker and didnt get a single kill. The only thing people would see is me screaming obscenities like a manchild

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

If I could see the reaction of any one person I've killed in this game it would be this Boba Fett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YZt-5EsAE

The "BOBA FETT" at the end really makes this a great clip.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

He didn't even try to shoot his missile lol

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People that said that palpatine is the greatest are not wrong. I've managed to get long kill streaks as him more than once and it's easy to take out entire enemy squads thanks to his aoe attack. Getting shock troopers is also a bonus. Best hero.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Okay, what qualifies as a "Long-Range Rifle?" for this drat kill challenge? So far, all I've found that counts is the Pulse Cannon, which I just realized you're apparently supposed to "charge" before firing, and I don't know how to do that, but it would explain why everyone else one-shots me with it, but I can't kill nothin' with it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Don't let go of the trigger.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Steve Vader posted:

Okay, what qualifies as a "Long-Range Rifle?" for this drat kill challenge? So far, all I've found that counts is the Pulse Cannon, which I just realized you're apparently supposed to "charge" before firing, and I don't know how to do that, but it would explain why everyone else one-shots me with it, but I can't kill nothin' with it.

You charge, peek around a corner, then pick one...

A) Target Spotted: let go of trigger. Get kill, weapon on cooldown.

B) No Target: press the assigned key again, while not letting go of trigger. Weapon is put down without firing (so no cooldown). Charge up again.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Vader posted:

Doesn't tell ya only the Cycler and Pulse count, and if it's the headshot one I don't think you can charge the Pulse all the way for it to count.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

zooted heh posted:

He didn't even try to shoot his missile lol

He didn't need his missile. It was just an E-web turret, not a blaster cannon. They don't have any shield on them.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

I never seem to get dropped into full games and I always seem to hit an empty game where I get to wait for it to fill. Is there an option to join any map that currently has space available?

Still curious about these empty games

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't gotten good with the bowcaster yet either. It seems like it's best used as a close range weapon, but you have to charge it up to get any use out of it, which is hard to do when you're close and getting shot at. I suppose that's why people blast up into the air and then fire it, but I haven't mastered that technique yet. Maybe I just need more practice.

I did have one hilarious thing happen with the bowcaster. I was playing Endor in the third phase as Rebels and I was walking around near the left point when all of a sudden Boba Fett lands right in front of me. I had a fully charged bowcaster and let it loose at him at point blank range and it killed him. He was pretty pissed about it and complained in chat. I'm guessing he must have had quite a bit of health before getting killed by it. No idea if it can one shot heroes or not at close range but it definitely hosed him up.

I wish people chatted on ps4, unless I play with friends I don't think I've ever heard anyone :smith:

anywho, the bowcaster is great for popping corners indoors before you get pinned, especially if you have pulse scan. It's also good if you're using a jet pack as noted, and personal shield is good for that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Atoramos posted:

Still curious about these empty games

Eh? Like always? I mean once in a blue moon I'll pick a mode and not get a full room but typically if I leave and come back something comes up

usually it's if you pick a specific map when it's harder to find things

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Alan Smithee posted:

Eh? Like always? I mean once in a blue moon I'll pick a mode and not get a full room but typically if I leave and come back something comes up

usually it's if you pick a specific map when it's harder to find things

I have yet to be put in an active map, and every time it ends up forming a new lobby. This is only selecting a game mode.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Thanks for the Pulse Cannon charge knowledge. I see now. I've managed to get ONE more kill with it than I had before now. So hey.

Also, just tried Scan Pulse for the first time. Man, that's useful.

I need to kill 10 airspeeders. But every time I jump in a vehicle in any of these big war modes, some dick with an A-Wing immediately locks on and kills me no matter what evasive moves I pull. It's always an A-wing.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
A-wings are a bitch to shoot down too, something about their hitbox I don't know

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

You charge, peek around a corner, then pick one...

A) Target Spotted: let go of trigger. Get kill, weapon on cooldown.

B) No Target: press the assigned key again, while not letting go of trigger. Weapon is put down without firing (so no cooldown). Charge up again.

Also, a pro-tip for point B - if you are on console and have assigned it to R1/RB it's really awkward to hit that key without letting going of R2/RT. Tapping Triangle/Y will also put the weapon down.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Steve Vader posted:

Holy poo poo mind = blown

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Holy poo poo mind = blown

How so? Just because I'm apparently dumb?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Steve Vader posted:

How so? Just because I'm apparently dumb?

That you can charge the drat pulse cannon. I was wondering the same thing, why all my hits seemed to do half damage while every time I got hit I was blown to the sky.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Do you guys read things or is that too hardcore for this casual shooter game? Were you confused about the meaning of "charge up"?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You think it would mention HOW to charge it if there was a special thing you had to do with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:negative:

Ok, but seriously. This is an honest question: do you play video games? Is this the first shooter that you have played in a long time/ever? If video games aren't your thing normally then I can understand this. But anyone who has even the most cursory familiarity with Games Where You Hold A Gun should figure out in very short order to hold the trigger when told a weapon can be charged up. It would normally be the first thing one would think to try.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm not a huge gamer. The closest thing to this game I played were the High Moon Transformers games. Otherwise, it's usually superheroes or wrestling games, or retro games.

When I saw that you had to charge it, I was trying to hold the RB button - the button I used to activate the gun. The button associated with the gun. I don't think it's all that intuitive to go 'hey, hold the trigger down but only for a little while because it will automatically shoot whether you want it to or not, unless you hit the Y button (which is assigned to a different power but of course it's somehow involved in this power, too) to shut it down without firing.'

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Chomp8645 posted:

:negative:

Ok, but seriously. This is an honest question: do you play video games? Is this the first shooter that you have played in a long time/ever? If video games aren't your thing normally then I can understand this. But anyone who has even the most cursory familiarity with Games Where You Hold A Gun should figure out in very short order to hold the trigger when told a weapon can be charged up. It would normally be the first thing one would think to try.

No dude I don't play video games. I don't even play whatever game this thread is about.

But seriously though I don't read tool tips. That's what the forums are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Steve Vader posted:

You think it would mention HOW to charge it if there was a special thing you had to do with it.

Your avatar is super appropriate right now

• Locked thread