Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it really a job when you get paid product?

They get paid in money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it really a job when you get paid product?

So they get paid by the company store. Even worse.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Why are the leakers being evaluated as judges rather than as leakers?

Or rather, why does being a judge mitigate the fact that they did something they shouldn't, and why is hearsay the basis of propriety?

The way the situation is being presented from the banned people's side is Wizards went overboard, banned people who were not responsible for leaking. I don't think that if the leaks were in fact from the judge community there is a outcry about banning those responsible. The outcry appears to be that WOTC just smashed an entire regions judge program when only a few of those banned were the people actually responsible. That is kind of a problem.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dr. Stab posted:

They get paid in money.

Not by WotC though, tourney orgs. So they're really employees of the organizer.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lightning Lord posted:

Not by WotC though, tourney orgs. So they're really employees of the organizer.

Yeah, the DCI is really more of a professional organization and not an employer. It's still a job that they do and get paid for.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Why are the leakers being evaluated as judges rather than as leakers?

Or rather, why does being a judge mitigate the fact that they did something they shouldn't, and why is hearsay the basis of propriety?

The banned judges involved people who did what they shouldn't do, people who did what they should do, people with no involvement or knowledge of the situation to even do something, and people who committed the heinous act of being in the same geographical region as someone from the above.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Were they exposed to the cards as part of a solicitation for feedback from judges on upcoming floor rules changes necessitated by something new in the set? That's the only reason I could see having to consult judges and share confidential stuff before the set is out.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

This is retarded. A good friend of mine just got a 3 year ban for tweeting the Kozilek spoilers hours after they were posted in here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Were they exposed to the cards as part of a solicitation for feedback from judges on upcoming floor rules changes necessitated by something new in the set? That's the only reason I could see having to consult judges and share confidential stuff before the set is out.

Given the first three cards leaked were 1) typeless basic producing a new mana symbol 2) card with said symbol in its mana cost 3) card with said symbol produced by and used in activated abilities in its rules text, it might've been something about judging ♦ mechanics rules.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Given the first three cards leaked were 1) typeless basic producing a new mana symbol 2) card with said symbol in its mana cost 3) card with said symbol produced by and used in activated abilities in its rules text, it might've been something about judging ♦ mechanics rules.

poo poo. Here I was thinking about the set's mythics and expeditions being spoiled, and I forgot the crisp clean images of Kozilek and Wastes that were released first.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'll be real curious what further word rattles out because this is kind of a hilariously overkill scorched earth. There could be real serious ongoing issues with running tournaments in the future in that area even after the bans are up if everyone goes "gently caress THIS"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I love the fact that in Vintage Cube I can get the completely unreasonable Bitterblossom/Skullclamp turn 2 combo out.

I feel its off I got Skullclamp as pick 8 and also weirder that I got Library of Alexandria as pick 5 or something. Not running any Power but a ton of card draw and a couple of unbeatable bombs like Karn are doing it so far.

Edit: I lost Round 3 in less than 5 minutes because my opponent had Iona turn 3 using Black Lotus, Entomb and Unburial both games.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 22, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if they'll still get their exemplar program foils.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Come on wotc, what are we, ISIS??? Not cool..

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Judges don't get access to new cards any earlier than you folks do. The way we know how stuff works at launch is by reading the long-rear end document that accompanies every set.

I'm not convinced everyone who's been banned had something to do with the leaks and if that's the case I'm pretty goddamn annoyed. Either way, this is going to really suck for players in the SE :smith:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

WotC loves to poo poo all over judges. This is just another dump on the pile.

Also, WotC gave some of our not-suspended judges some feedback:

WotC posted:

As you may have heard, several individuals were temporarily suspended from the DCI for collecting, accessing or distributing confidential and proprietary information before public release. As this was about theft of Wizards’ intellectual property and not related to participation in Magic events as a player or judge, the investigation was handled by our internal team rather than by the player investigation or judge conduct committees.
We want to underscore that we performed a thorough investigation and determined that these leaks related to multiple card sets over a period of time; this was not a one-time occurrence. We do not enter into these types of decisions lightly or arbitrarily, but we must take action to protect the integrity of Wizards’ intellectual property and the work of hundreds of Wizards’ team members around the world. Individuals believed to not be directly distributing proprietary and confidential information were given shorter suspensions as opposed to longer suspensions provided to individuals who we found were directly engaged in distributing material to third parties

There's also a bunch more stuff still percolating on Reddit (including names of judges suspended, and some other fun facts), but this does sound like an extremely poorly executed "investigation" and a huge betrayal of trust on WotC's part.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
"Individuals believed to not be directly distributing proprietary and confidential information"

I have to wonder if that's a synonym for "innocent" or whether they've actually drawn a line between those who posted the leaks and those who helped supply them

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

We want to underscore that we performed a thorough investigation and determined that these leaks related to multiple card sets over a period of time;

This part does seem kind of important though. I assume it also refers to previous leaks like the Chandra from Origins that got posted to mtgs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Olothreutes posted:

This is retarded. A good friend of mine just got a 3 year ban for tweeting the Kozilek spoilers hours after they were posted in here.

For real? As in, that was the extent of their involvement?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Olothreutes posted:

Well this is stupid.

This ban wave seems less like "ban all leakers" and more like "DON'T TALK ABOUT LEAKS ON THE INTERNET."

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Leaks hurt.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
posting pictures of fantasy cardboard before we post pictures of fantasy cardboard is THEFT just like when your TV gets stolen

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Most of the bans came from Florida. WELP. Not like it was a good state anyway. :v:

Glad I don't really care about PPTQs and RPTQs and all that. Hate to see it happen to the people who do though. :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You wouldn't spoil a car.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoness posted:

This part does seem kind of important though. I assume it also refers to previous leaks like the Chandra from Origins that got posted to mtgs.

It's pretty probable that the ban is, essentially, "look. You didn't actively do anything wrong, and we're giving you the lightest punishment we can, but it's come to our attention that this isn't the first leak you guys have been privy to/knew the leaker, and witholding that info is a big enough deal that we want to send a message."

If it's that, then I think it's a fair suspension, all things considered. If it's just for Kozilek and Wastes, it's a huge overreaction.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rinkles posted:

For real? As in, that was the extent of their involvement?

He posted a tweet with a link to the cards, or the images I'm not sure, and some text that was something like "Looks spicy, anyone know if these are real or not?" When it started to look like it was an actual leak he deleted it, I'm not sure if they're taking that as admission of guilt or not. To my knowledge they didn't contact him about it or anything. Interestingly his ban showed up today, but is shown on the DCI site as effective 11/18/15.

I also think there is zero chance he was actually involved in the leak. There are a number of local guys that I would totally believe could do it, but not this guy. He's fantastically nice, willing to help anyone with a deck, and has spent most of his free time recently with a new baby, which I hear takes a lot of time that you could otherwise spend digging up wizard's IP to dump on the internet.

Count Bleck posted:

Well this is stupid.

This ban wave seems less like "ban all leakers" and more like "DON'T TALK ABOUT LEAKS ON THE INTERNET."

Yep, don't post about magic on social media or you might get banned if you can't magically tell the difference between the million pictures of fake cards and actual spoilers that circulate endlessly on the interwebs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Well, phoned my contents insurer as I'm moving house. Asked about cover for my decks, and the guy played magic but quit standard due to the price. Phoned a support team to ensure insurance would cover me.

I'm now covered for up to £2000 out of property and 6k covered for accidental damage within my property.

Time to put my judge basics in my commander deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Caleb Durward wrote an article on cards they could print into Modern, seemed like an interesting topic:
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/one-crazy-idea-to-improve-modern/

I think Baleful Strix and Cabal Therapy could show up sometime when a set permits it (colored artifact and flashback) Goblin Lackey why not? I guess it comes down to if you think they should print stuff to elevate archetypes. Something like Council's Judgement could work but probably reworded to not use the voting mechanic, just something like you and your opponent destroy a target permanent each.

Don't think I'm comfortable with Force of Will mind, or rather the sort of games it would lead to, but it's hard to say

Reminds me, was Scavenging Ooze the first card to be printed from a supplementary product into Modern?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Please no Cabal Therapy. It used to be an interesting, skill-testing card until Gitaxian Probe ruined it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cernunnos posted:

Most of the bans came from Florida. WELP. Not like it was a good state anyway. :v:

Glad I don't really care about PPTQs and RPTQs and all that. Hate to see it happen to the people who do though. :(

I'm not from Florida (or the SE Region for that matter), but there's been a big scramble to find judges for events that can just no longer function due to these bans - some TOs are bending over backwards in compensation (both monetary and otherwise) to try and get judges in to cover events in time. There's a reason so many judges (and other folks) have been calling this for the huge poo poo show it's been.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GeneX posted:

It's pretty probable that the ban is, essentially, "look. You didn't actively do anything wrong, and we're giving you the lightest punishment we can, but it's come to our attention that this isn't the first leak you guys have been privy to/knew the leaker, and witholding that info is a big enough deal that we want to send a message."

They suspended the snitch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mikujin posted:

I'm not from Florida (or the SE Region for that matter), but there's been a big scramble to find judges for events that can just no longer function due to these bans - some TOs are bending over backwards in compensation (both monetary and otherwise) to try and get judges in to cover events in time. There's a reason so many judges (and other folks) have been calling this for the huge poo poo show it's been.

Just how many people were banned?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

Please no Cabal Therapy. It used to be an interesting, skill-testing card until Gitaxian Probe ruined it.

It's never been a skill-testing card.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rinkles posted:

Just how many people were banned?

Over a dozen.

E: And in just one region, which is the important thing to note.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mikujin posted:

It's never been a skill-testing card.

I agree. Skill-testing has always been thrown around way too much.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I quit judging immediately after the event where I earned my judgeship. Because I left thinking "holy poo poo this was not worth it." Be a rules advisor so you can help resolve poo poo at FNM if you really want but actual judging is the loving worst. Being freed from that is true benevolence on WotC's part.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Caleb Durward wrote an article on cards they could print into Modern, seemed like an interesting topic:
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/one-crazy-idea-to-improve-modern/

I think Baleful Strix and Cabal Therapy could show up sometime when a set permits it (colored artifact and flashback) Goblin Lackey why not? I guess it comes down to if you think they should print stuff to elevate archetypes. Something like Council's Judgement could work but probably reworded to not use the voting mechanic, just something like you and your opponent destroy a target permanent each.

Don't think I'm comfortable with Force of Will mind, or rather the sort of games it would lead to, but it's hard to say

Reminds me, was Scavenging Ooze the first card to be printed from a supplementary product into Modern?

Some of these could be fun but some of them seem kind of random. I don't think Therapy would be as effective in Modern without a strong combo presence. Also Aluren is one of those cards that I look at and wonder why it isn't banned, it seems like it would be super-broken with the creatures currently being printed.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I quit judging immediately after the event where I earned my judgeship. Because I left thinking "holy poo poo this was not worth it." Be a rules advisor so you can help resolve poo poo at FNM if you really want but actual judging is the loving worst. Being freed from that is true benevolence on WotC's part.
Judging is fun if you are L2+ and can actual judge at events that aren't lousy as poo poo.

But a bigger part of the problem is that judges get very little for their time (again, unless you are a high enough level and working somewhere where your time is actually valued) - and this is especially true in smaller stores/less urban areas. And this is all because the burden of providing incentive for judges to work is on stores on not on WotC. (In fact WotC does it's best to make judges not want to judge, in my experience.)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Judging is fun if you are L2+ and can actual judge at events that aren't lousy as poo poo.

Are you a sadist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
judging is fun if you want to get browbeaten by rules lawyers, endlessly appealed and harassed by pros, and ignored by everyone else

• Locked thread